The Customer

A Bear and A Cafe

Niel took a nice, long sip of the freshly brewed coffee, giving off a lovely aroma. He smiled at the relaxing atmosphere the cafe always gave off.

"Niel-hyung, pay attention so that I'm not the one doing all of the work," Ricky pouted.

"Sorry, the atmosphere is so nice though," Niel took a deep breath.

"Accept that one guy," L.Joe pointed over to the counter, making the two turn to look at the direction. There behind the counter was a familiar boy with black hair, chatting with a fellow employee.

"Oh yeah, he's always staring at you, Niel-hyung," Ricky said.

"Well, he's not really doing any harm," Niel shrugged in an indifferent way.

"Accept staring like a weirdo or a bear eyeing a fish," L.Joe pointed out.

"Hey are you calling me a fish?!" Niel took offense, making the other two snicker.

"Well you do have lips that match a fish's," L.Joe smirked, earning a kick to the shin from underneath the table by Niel. The older groaned in pain as he held his possibly bruised shin while Niel simply scoffed.

"I don't think it's a bear and fish, I think it's more like a child eyeing a toy he wants but doesn't have enough guts to ask his parents for it... or something like that," Ricky said, ignoring L.Joe cursing under his breath.

Niel blinked before looking back, seeing how the waiter noticed at the last minute before quickly turning his head. Nothing abnormal, but it's still odd.

"See?"

"Yeah, yeah, let's just continue doing homework or whatever the heck college wants us to do..." L.Joe murmured grumpily.


He took out his laptop and started typing away a song that he had in mind, humming to try to figure out what kind of notes would go along with the lyrics. A coffee would sound good right about now, but seeing how packed the cafe was today service probably won't be coming anytime soon.

"Ma...!"

Niel blinked at the new voice before looking up and being slightly taken back from the waiter standing right there, clutching his notepad tightly.

"May I t-take your order...?" the waiter murmured awkwardly, his hand shaking a little as he held his... Rilakkuma pen...?

Niel held back on laughing out loud but a short giggle escaped before he could completely stop it.

"Is something wr-wrong?" the boy stuttered again.

He smiled up at the boy, "No, nothing, it's just that your pen is cute. I'll have one of the cafe's homemade coffee please..." Niel looked at the boy's apron to see his ID loosely hanging off of the strap, "Jonghyun."

"...angjo..." the boy murmured awkwardly again as he scribbled down the order.

"Excuse me?"

"Changjo... I prefer to be called that..." the boy then quickly walked away before Niel could say anything.

He shrugged it off in an indifferent way, continuing his work. Before he knew it, Changjo was back with a tray of the coffee, setting it down onto the table along with a petite strawberry and whipped-cream tart.

Before the waiter could scurry off again Niel spoke up, "Um, Changjo, I didn't order a dessert to go with the coffee.

"I-It's on the house..." Changjo said, using the tray to hide his face as he faced towards Niel before running off to the kitchen and almost tripping over his own feet.

"'A bear and a fish'... or 'a child eyeing a toy'..." Niel smiled, "He is a bit like a bear... being big and somewhat scary yet oddly cute..."


Niel walked into the cafe yet again, by himself, yet something was missing as he sat down at his usual table. Before he settled down completely, he looked around the cafe for anything obvious missing.

"May I take your order?" a waiter came over, who Niel recognized as the one talking with Changjo the last time he came with Ricky and L.Joe.

"The cafe's homemade coffee..." the he finally noticed what was missing, "Hey, you wouldn't happen to know where Changjo is, do you?"

"Oh-ho~! Is young love blooming~?" the waiter smirked, making Niel kick his shin too. Yes, kicking was his way of saying 'don't smirk cockily or you die' or 'mess up and you die'.

"No. Now tell me where is he please." he demanded, seeing how the waiter was groaning in pain similarly to how L.Joe did.

"H-He's sick... Man does your kick hurt!" the waiter murmured, "You know, with flu season out and about a kid as healthy as him was able to catch it. He's in his bed on the second floor."

"'Second floor'?" Niel asked.

"Didn't you know? Changjo's the son of the owners of this cafe. The second floor is basically their second home since their actual home is far away from here. I can take you to him if you're that curious," the waiter pointed to the stairs with a door gate covering it.

"I guess..." he murmured. In all honesty, he was a bit worried about the boy if he caught something as bad as the flu. He followed the waiter to the stairs, the waiter bringing out some keys on a keychain with a petite Rilakkuma plushie.

"Is this cafe obssessed with Rilakkuma or something?" Niel asked as the waiter unlocked the door gate.

"They were birthday gifts from me to Changjo. I kept telling him that Rilakkuma reminded me of him because he's basically like an awkward bear, especially around someone he's crushing on," the waiter smirked, making Niel lift up his foot and said waiter to quickly hide behind the gate.

The two walked up the stairs in silent and into a neat and comfortable living room. The waiter led Niel into a nearby hallway and stopped at the farthest room to the right with Rilakkuma stickers all over the door.

"Where do you find all of this stuff?" Niel sighed.

"Hey, I give it to him and he decides what to do with it," the waiter opened the door only to get a Rilakkuma pillow chucked at his face.

"Go *cough* away Chunji!" Niel heard a familiar voice strain to yell.

"Talk about rude!" the waiter, now confirmed as Chunji, picked up the pillow and pouted. Chunji tossed the pillow back in the direction where it came from, "I brought your fish you stupid bear!"

Chunji was then kicked on the back, sending him head first straight into the pillow Changjo chucked again. Well, at least he didn't face-plant painfully onto the wooden floor, but talk about timing!

"Get out of here you squirrel!" Changjo yelled, then started hacking and coughing.

"Hey! That's no way to talk to your hyung!" Chunji yelled back, pushing the pillow into Niel's arms and angrily stomping out of the room and down the stairs.

"*Cough, cough* You can come in now...!"

Niel walked into the room to see a barricade of pillows and blankets surrounding a shivering Changjo.

"You okay?" Niel knelt to Changjo level, staying far enough so that if the boy turned that he wouldn't cough on him.

"*Cough* N-No... my nose is stuffy, my throat hurts, and it's r-really *cough* cold..." Changjo murmured. He touched his forehead to check his temperature.

"You're burning!" Niel exclaimed.

"I-I did have an ice pack..." Changjo pointed to the desk beside Niel, a blue ice bag sitting on it.

"You should put it on your head," Niel grabbed it to place it on Changjo's head only for him to turn away.

"No!" Changjo complained, trying to use a pillow to cover his head.

After a few minutes of trying to pull the pillow off of Changjo's head Niel was finally able to place the ice bag on Changjo's forehead. The waiter pouted in a childish manner, "It's too cold."

"It's ice," Niel chuckled at the unfitting attitude.

"..." Changjo huffed as he turned his head to the wall just enough so that the ice bag wouldn't fall off. He pouted again, except for a different reason, "...You still haven't told me your name..." he murmured, covering a cough with one of the blankets.

"Daniel. I prefer to be called Niel though," Niel said.

"Is your family foreign?"

"Nah, my parents just like the name for some reason."

"Niel..." Changjo murmured softly.

"Yeah?"

"N-No, it's nothing..." Changjo pulled up the blanket until it was right under his eyes, "... It's a pretty name..."

"Mind saying that to me and not the wall?" Niel sighed.

Changjo did as told, holding their eye contact for maybe three seconds, before pulling up the blanket to completely cover his face, "It's embarrassing...!" He heard a muffled whine come from the waiter.

"Is that why you won't look at me when I look over to you?" Niel laughed a bit.

The waiter yanked down the blanket with a visible pout again, "No! I...!" he suddenly seemed embarrassed again as he averted his gaze, "I just started doing it all of a sudden... whenever that bell rings at 4 you're always standing there..."

"Well it's very noticeable."

"Really?!" Changjo began coughing and hacking into the blanket again.

"Yes, I'm pretty sure every one of the occupants in the cafe are fully aware of the handsome waiter staring at the thick-lipped college boy," Niel laughed and immediately regretted his word choice at Changjo's shocked face.

"Did you just say I'm handso-"

"Shut up!" Niel took a pillow and stuffed it into Changjo's face. He could feel his ears burn up at the sudden realization that dawned on him after all of the constant gazing from the awkward waiter.

A crush.

A freaking crush on Changjo after three months when he started visiting the cafe daily and only now spending better time to get to know Changjo. Now who was he going to blame the silly crush on? L.Joe? Ricky? Changjo? That Chunji dude?!

Niel took a deep breath to calm down as he slowly removed the pillow. The thought of 'love at first sight' was always such a silly concept for everyone, yet it happens for some odd reason... well, in this situation for Niel, it's more of 'love after constant sight'.

"... I dunno... maybe I fell for you after a while..." Changjo murmured, obviously just as embarrassed as Niel except acting more rational.

An awkward silence fell between them.

"Th-There's no way!"

"R-Right?! I'm just gonna leave n-now bye!"

"Bye!"

Niel hurriedly ran out of the room and slammed the door, slowly sliding down on it with his back until he sat.

"Jeez... how did this happen...?"


The next day, Niel opened the door to see Changjo serving a customer a parfait.

Changjo sent a small wave and smile after he sets down the parfait. Niel walked over to his usual table and sent back a small wave and smile too, although a bit shyly compared to Changjo's.

"The kid has this thing where he's more bold after spending some embarrassing time with someone," Chunji said, walking up to Niel's table, stuffing his notepad into his apron pocket, "I'm just gonna assume that you want the cafe's homemade coffee."

"Oh, really?" Niel asked.

"Yeah, so what did you two do after I left~?" Chunji smirked, earning a kick to the shin from Niel again and Changjo wacking him on the back of the head with a tray as he walked back to the counter.

"Ow! I'm calling abuse one day!" Chunji complained as he scurried off to the kitchen.

Niel looked over to Changjo who kept their eye contact this time. They smiled at each other until a couple walked up to the counter to pay for their meal.

See? The staring wasn't that bad, it had just put a little step to their newfound relationship. For now, they were in denial until one of them snaps out of jealousy... hopefully that was soon, but Niel would never admit to that.