shades of us

kaleidoscope

There was nothing between the 98-liners for Seungcheol to see. Even if he noticed that Hansol smiled his toothy smile a little too wide at Seungkwan and stared at the singer as if he was the most brightest diamond compared to the others. He just couldn't see it.

Jeonghan thought Seungkwan took care of Hansol only like a little brother. As a local himself, he would admit the Korean language was quite tough to learn. So, Jeonghan was happy when he found out Seungkwan had willingly volunteered to teach Hansol the language because of their same age. A reassured feeling settled in him for knowing that Hansol wouldn't be so blurred or confused during interviews and such. Oblivious to the fact that Seungkwan get flustered easily when the Korean-American whispered questions, oh so close, to his ear and not knowing that they weren't questions at all.

Joshua was pretty sure he was 99.9% right about his suspicion. He rest his case when he saw Hansol kissed Seungkwan's cheek when the singer was asleep one day. Regardless of that, Joshua pondered on why Hansol would want him to not mention it to the rest of the members including the sleeping figure himself.

Jun didn't care. He actually caught Seungkwan red-handed ogling Hansol, not so secretly and way too often until he concluded that the kid needed a break, seriously. Once he even asked out of curiosity of why wouldn't Seungkwan just go and talk to the rapper like he normally does. The young singer had look agitated and stuttered out a weird respond before running away. Was talking to someone you had known for years that difficult?

Soonyoung hoped they would date already. The way they described each other was so cringe-worthy. It was disgusting and he might be sick for barfing out all the glitters and rainbows with every compliment they say. But he needed to be strong and be that supporting and patient brother for the younger ones who needed it despite wanting to knock their heads together so hard for them to realize their own damn feelings for each other.

Wonwoo could only keep his curiosity to himself. Words and lyrics Hansol had written in their songs were too experienced as if the younger knew what love was. The way he wrote them was as if Hansol had watched those cliché dramas way too many times and actually understood what the characters had felt. Unrequited love, confusion of feelings and imaginary love scenes. It was as if the young rapper was in a love drama of his own.

Jihoon was not dense, he swore to God. He knew best friends didn't just randomly kissed like that. Excuses were made when he had caught them red-handed in their dorm. It was an innocent kiss, that was all yet when Jihoon dug deeper he knew what they had was far more complicated than he thought. As much as he wanted to give a piece of his mind, Jihoon rather let them solve it on their own. He hoped they knew that they were putting salt on each other wounds.

Minghao couldn't comprehend what was going on. His Korean might not be the best compared to Jun but he did not like being left in the dark at all. Minghao could only watched warily when one day he'd see Seungkwan and Hansol arguing, the next day they'd be all close again. The cycle then repeated itself. It might be normal to some but this happened too frequently and he couldn't believe his ears when the leader said it was probably one of their usual antics again! That couldn't be it. Minghao also often wondered if Korean boys were very touchy with each other. 

Mingyu was quite jealous with them. Whatever they have, he wished him and Wonwoo could have it as well. It wasn't a secret that Mingyu had a crush on Wonwoo, even the latter knew it himself. Seungkwan and Hansol did public skinship all the time but when Mingyu initiated it on Wonwoo, the older would quickly kill the moment. It was frustrating yet after that Wonwoo would always reassured him somehow in their dorm. Mingyu and Wonwoo weren't together neither were Seungkwan and Hansol. Mingyu knew this because he once teased Hansol for being close with Seungkwan. The only response he got was a sad smile and a sudden confession. Eventually they learnt, they were both fools in love. Mingyu often wondered how Hansol could handle his unrequited love for so long because he couldn't.

Seokmin wished people would just leave him alone. He didn't get the idea how Hansol thought he was 'the love expert' (As honored as Seokmin was, it got very tiring listening to Hansol complaints 24/7). Maybe it was because Soonyoung just passed the task to him because he was supposedly 'busy' and him quoting stuff from the internet had the two love fools believed in him 100%. He knew it was a bad idea since the beginning but Soonyoung had pouted like an adorable puppy and when he hesitantly agreed, the blonde dancer had smiled that loving smile of his and Seokmin could only sigh because damn he was totally whipped as well.

Seungkwan thought how the rest of Seventeen might be a little bit over exaggerating at times. Admiring someone and having a crush was totally different. Ignoring the dull pain in his chest, Seungkwan wondered how on earth his hyungs could jump onto conclusions that he was in love and better yet in a relationship. He voiced out his opinion one day in the practice room when he was alone with the boy that he was proclaimed to be together with.

 

 

 

"A couple? Where did they get that?" Hansol chuckled and maybe it came out a bit too forced but Seungkwan never pointed that out. Neither did he point out the hints of blues in the rapper's tone. His mind must have been messing with his senses again.

"Beats me but the hyungs and the maknae can be really creative at times. I bet they found fanfics that the fans wrote about us again." 

Hansol only hummed in respond, too busy playing with the singer's fingers. They were soft and Hansol loved it when they were against his rough and longer ones. When their fingers intertwines like their fate, it fit like perfect puzzle pieces. Pictures were mentally taken in Hansol's mind knowing as perfect as it seemed, not everyone thought it was perfect. Especially Seungkwan.

He wished the singer would though. Nothing was impossible these days and he would love to prove the saying right. It might be crazy but Hansol had a particular belief that Seungkwan did like him back. From whispers floating in the air and his own observation, he had proofs along with doubts and it was driving him to the peak of sanity. Those kisses couldn't have meant nothing. The urge of asking for the truth was bubbling uncomfortably in his throat and Seungkwan was so close for him to let the opportunity go.

Laying down on the cold hard wooden floor together side by side and lips only a breath way, Hansol might faint. He shouldn't be nervous, they had shared kisses way too many times for him to count with his fingers. However, he was afraid he might just kiss the bubbly singer out of the blue again and ruined the moment. It was partially his fault to begin with. He didn't know where or why or when or how, but one night Hansol was daring and bold. He had ignored all those red blinking lights in his head and did what he wanted to do years ago. It was the same night Hansol had kissed Seungkwan when the singer was asleep. The same night where not only he was caught red-handed by Joshua but Seungkwan as well. Turned out, the next morning Seungkwan admitted that he was fully awake when the kiss happened. Awkward moments filled the aftermath for a week and one day Seungkwan just kissed him. No explanation shared but just wet lips on his chappy ones. From two to three to five and it gotten hazy ever since yet the throbbing pain in his chest had became more lucid.

Writing them all down in words were messy and disoriented, unsatisfied that he still had to mask his true feelings in their songs. Hansol was more of a 'do it' guy (you know, based on experience). He preferred to express his emotions through his actions rather than putting them in literature or speech form. It was easier, didn't have to pull an all-nighter and no filtration. Just pure and raw emotions. Having said that, at times like this, what Seokmin had quoted from the internet might just be the answer or end to most of his unanswered questions.

'Life is short, there is no time to leave important words unsaid.'

"Do you like me, Seungkwan?"

Hansol blurted out. Seungkwan was stunned, immediately the mood dampened between them. The rapper knew he should've given a warning or some sort of it. Every emotions that hurt him sank his heart, Hansol gulped nervously when the tension became too thick for even a knife to cut. His expectations however never went down like his rapid heartbeats.

"Yes?" 

It came out like a question, not the answer Hansol wanted. His hopes were shattering yet he still asked.

"As in, more than friends."

They were staring at each other now. Seungkwan didn't seem surprise this time as if he expected it, Hansol wished he didn't see sadness and hurt sparkled in the singer's eyes because he was a few seconds away from breaking down at the spot and Seungkwan was still silent.

Laughter and happy chatters started filling out the air and finally their intense staring was broken. Eleven boys with their squeaky shoes entered the room, unbeknownst to the previous tense mood. Seungkwan had ran off when he had spotted a certain blonde dancer. Avoidance was 100% the reason why and Hansol's determination were already in ashes by then.

Tough designated choreographs became a distraction for the next few hours. Thinking at least he'd be himself for a while as if the unclear rejection never happened, it was a futile attempt with the other members constantly sending him concern looks and pats on the back. Hansol ignored them and continued practicing hard.

Evening turned to night and thirteen was left with one. Lame excuses were made and no one questioned. A couple more steps and finally the music stopped and Hansol gave in to his now wobbly legs. He fell hard onto the floor like he fell hard for the loud and bubbly singer. 

The thought of that was hilarious. Oh, the irony. Hansol laughed for a few seconds and he didn't know why. When he shifted into laying on his side, Hansol saw it. A can of icy energy drink with a yellow post-it note stuck on it. Once Hansol read it, he immediately stormed out of the room. Leaving his bag and cap behind with a grin on his face.

'im sorry i ran away from you earlier i was nervous ;;;;  just so you know i dont just kiss my best friend randomly without liking him 'more' than a friend >< so find me when youre done practicing!! i guess we have a lot to talk about -boo'

 

 

Hansol thought they were cute together. Seungkwan was cute and thankfully being more than best friends gave him privilege to kiss him anywhere and anytime. As much as Hansol and Seungkwan enjoyed the shock expressions on some of the members' faces, they did not however enjoy the bets they soon found out that were placed on them.

Lastly, Chan was just glad. Opposites did attract so it wasn't a surprise when Seungkwan's boisterous personality could be calmed by Hansol's quiet one and Hansol's shyness was being slowly swept away with his admiration towards Seungkwan's braveness. It might have taken a while for them both and some of the members to realize it but that's okay. Love would always win. 

 

(He just hoped it would come sooner for the other members as well.)