Winter Encounter

Winter Encounters
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N: Listen to Confession Song by GOT7 when you see the red bold italicized lyrics to experience the feel of the story. 

 

It was a cold winter morning in the streets of Seoul. You were on your way to Hongdae with your best friend, Hari. You were both donned in your coats and sweaters, wrapped in thick knitted scarves. Albeit you being tanned unlike your korean fair skinned best friend Hari, your cheeks and nose finally showed signs of red due to the climates temperature.

“My god, Hari. We better get to Café Areum fast. Or else I’ll get a frostbite in this weather!” You said sniffling as you rubbed your bare hands together trying hard to keep them warm.

“Hold on, I know it’s this way. We’re almost there. I’m so getting an espresso.” Hari said as she tried to recall the way to the coffee shop.

You’ve been going to this Café Areum for years but due to the foggy weather it was extra harder to find. Café Areum was Hari’s friend’s coffee shop. It’s located off a main road in an alleyway that you would never have gone to unless someone had told you. It’s a popular secret coffee place only a few locals and friends of the owner knows well. Because of it’s secret hideaway, there’s usually a few people around. It’s been yours and Hari’s favorite hang out place ever since.

Once you turned to the streets to Café Areum you were surprised by the crowd following you from behind. Living as a foreigner for a year and a half, you knew well Hongdae is a ghost town on Sundays.

Maybe there’s a live performance somewhere in Hongdae or something. You thought to yourself.

“Ah! There! Let’s go!” Hari exclaimed as she found the secret sign of Café Areum’s logo on a sketchy looking door that leads to a stairwell to the coffee shop above the building.

You followed her as she hurriedly went in the doors and ran up to the stairs. You caught glimpse of the small crowd following two men in coats and facemasks.

You heard Hari calling you from the top of the stairs. “I’m coming. I’m coming!” You said as you went in the door and climbed up the stairs.

As soon as the door’s chime rang as you entered the place, the aroma of perfectly brewed coffee greeted you. It was finally warm and toasty enough for you to take off your thick scarf.

You saw Hari already lining up with her wallet ready. She called you over to line up and you followed.

The bell chimed again indicating a customer entering the shop. There arouse noisey whispers from the people from behind you.

“It’s Jackson Wang!” A girl whispered to her friend from behind you loud enough for you & Hari to hear.

You froze as you heard them. 

“Huh, that’s a name I thought I’d never hear again..” You mumbled in English to yourself.

“What do you mean?” Hari asked as she heard you.

“Oh.. i-it’s nothing.” You replied again in korean.

“Come on, you can tell me. What’s up?” Hari asked you again in English, giving you a sign that you can reply since you knew most koreans don’t understand english.

“I.. I just had this.. phase..”

“Phase as in period in time right. Not like.. *eoulgul?” Hari checked to see if she understood her english right.

A/N: *eoulgul 얼굴 - face

“Neh, maja-ah (Yes, that’s correct)” You confirmed.

“And then?”

“It’s.. it’s silly. Really. And I got over it already..” You kept on hesitating as you walked slowly following the line to the counter.

“Come on, we all had those moments. You can tell me.” Hari reassured you.

“So.. when was that..” You said as you started to recall.

“2015? I guess? A year after GOT7 debuted. My friend introduced me to them..” You narrated in English so no one in the room could understand.

 

 

You thought the coffee shop was just loaded with locals. What you didn’t know, one man accompanied with his friend, two person behind you, was listening eagerly.

I thought only a few locals know this place? I didn’t know Jongsuk hyung had foreigner friends. The man thought as he tried to look in front to see who was talking in English.

The girl in front of him received an urgent call. “Oh, you’re there already? Okay. Okay. We’ll just head there.” She said over the phone.

“Kaja, Yerin-ah. Oppa is waiting.” The girl said after the call and head out with her friend. The two men took a step forward lining right behind you & Hari.

This made him hear you better. He ducked his head down hiding his eyes with his cap and the rest of his face with a face mask and pretended to be busy with his phone.

“And then I developed this silly unhealthy obsession with Jackson Wang.” You continued narrating your story to Hari.

The man slowly smiled behind his facemask hearing his name. His friend was busy talking to someone on the phone to overhear the conversation. 

How am I unhealthy???? I drink organic green tea for crying out loud! He thought to himself as he continued to listen.

“Why is it unhealthy?” Hari asked you.

Yeah, why am I unhealthy?? The man thought again.

“It’s just an expression, Hari-ah.” She giggled. “I just had a major crush on him when I was 19. I practically followed all his schedules back then. Watched every video.. He took up a lot of my spare time.”

“You know, you sounded like you were sad awhile ago. But why are you smiling?” Hari said noticing your gesture.

“What? I am?” You said as you started to get flustered. It was already warm inside the coffee shop but the redness of your cheeks isn’t fading just yet.

“Yeah. If you said you were over this phase already, then why does he make you smile until now?” Hari asked you.

You were saved when you both reached the counter, Hari’s friend was already smiling seeing the sight of you guys.

“Sukkie!” Hari greeted.

“Hari-ah! You girls are here again!” He said greeting you both.  “The usual?” He asked, perfectly remembering your favorite orders.

“Neh!” You & Hari both said in unison.

“I’ll give you both our newest pastry as well. It’s freshly baked, so it can help keep you girls warm.  It’s on the house.” He said earning a smile from you both.

“Wow, thank you oppa!”

“No problem.” He winked as he got Hari’s card and transact your drink orders.

You went to the side as you waited for your orders.

“Maybe because I had fun..” You continued opening up to Hari.

“You sound like you had a hard time even though you say you had fun with that phase.” For a year in a half, Hari understood you already. She knew how to decode your words well. She can see right through you and you weren’t surprised.

You let out a sad smile. “I kind of.. did.” You replied after.

 

 

“Oh! Bambam, Jackson!” Jongsuk, the owner greeted the two men who went next in line.

“Jongsuk hyung!” Bambam said after ending his phone call. “What’s up man?” Jongsuk said greeting the latter with a hug over the counter.

 “Hey, hyung! We finally got a chance to visit your coffee shop!” Jackson spoke right after.

“Jackson-ah! Thank you for coming!” Jongsuk said giving him a hug over the counter.

“Sorry if we caused a bit of a crowd downstairs.” Jackson said.

“Oh you did?” Jongsuk said surprised.

“Yeah, some fans recognized us. Even though we’re all covered up. Sorry hyung.” Bambam said.

“It’s all good. Don’t worry about it. What can I get you guys? It’s in the house!”

“Oh really?? Ah, thank you hyung!” Bambam said excitingly as he scanned through the menu written in the chalkboard behind the counter.

While they were talking, Jackson finally saw your face while you waited for your orders.

She’s actually pretty.. He thought as he admired your facial appearance. He could see the redness of your cheeks through your tanned skin. He noticed your brown eyes and your bunny teeth and the way you talk. He smiled again through his facemask. He noticed how your natural black hair flows with your body and how it bounce as it fell from your shoulders. He was waiting for you to smile. It just took a moment for him to look at you to realize how beautiful you were.

“For you Jackson?” Jongsuk asked him after Bambam decided his orders.

“Jackson?” He asked again interrupting Jackson’s thoughts. He looked back to Jongsuk who was waiting for his order.

“Ah, right. I’ll take what Bambam is ordering.”

“Okay then.” Jongsuk said as he punched in his order.

 

 

You & Hari took your orders off the counter and went to your usual spot right in the corner of shop and right by the windows. It was already reserved for the both of you since Hari called Jongsuk prior to your arrival.

You both were admiring the view as you sipped a cup of your favorite coffee.

“Did you.. perhaps.. fell in love with him?” Hari asked you.

 

 

Jackson & Bambam got their orders at the counter and looked for seats. Bambam wa

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter