Friends?

A Little Fairytale

 Flashback

 

Tears streamed down her face as she ended the call that she had just received.

Pang, pang, pang.

There goes the shattering sound of her fragile heart.

He was her pillar of support, her souce of happiness and her soulmate.

When she lost her best friend in a car accident, he was always beside her to give her the endless comfort that she needed.

When she lost her puppy in a battle with illness, he was always behind her to give her the fullest support that she required.

When she lost her earrings that was given by her late-grandmother, he was the one who searched the entire neighbourhood to find it back.

This time round...

When she lost him, he was never there anymore.

 

A few weeks after the start of new school term, Seohyun decided to wake up early and walked to school instead of taking bus. As she stepped out of her cosy home, the fresh morning air gave her a warm welcome. Since it was still early, there were not much people on the street. In fact, it was just her, alone. Truthfully, Seohyun never liked being alone. However, for once, she actually enjoyed it alot. It was a chilly morning but she felt peaceful and calm. She took a deep breathe, and she felt like she was in a whole new world, with nature being her only companion. That's what Seo Ju Hyun actually lived for. The peacefulness was soon interrupted when she heard Yifan calling out for her.

"Watch out Seohyun!" he shouted nervously.

 

Seohyun's POV

 

I was having a great time enjoying the peacefulness of the world when I heard Yifan calling my name. I totally have no idea what he was up to. He pointed to my right with his anxious face and when I turned to take a look, a BMW car was speeding towards my direction. Too engrossed in my thoughts, I didnt even realise I was in the middle of the road! My eyes widened and I froze in my position. Chills ran down my spine and I thought I was doomed for sure.

As I closed my eyes, the flashback starts and the scene of my best friend getting hit by a car replayed in my mind. Next thing I knew I was crying and shaking. I still remember how excited she was to meet me and the last thing she yelled out was "Seohyun!" The whole thing was horrible. I saw her lifeless body on the cold hard ground and she was bleeding profusely. I ran towards her body and hugged her tightly. I told her, "You're going to be fine, I promise." But I knew it was time for her to go as her body became icy cold. I was expecting myself to meet her in a few moments' time, but then I felt that my body was floating. Someone was carrying me and calling out for me.

"Seohyun! Seohyun! Wake up! Don't scare me please!" a familiar voice shrieked.

I slowly opened my eyes and realised that it was Yifan. Yifan saved me and I'm still alive. I didn't know what to feel, to be happy that I'm still breathing? Or to be sad that I didn't get the chance to see my best friend in Heaven? I was having mixed emotions.

I cried so badly in Yifan's arms as  I was crazily scared and despaired. I didn't even bothered about anyone who walk passed us. All I knew was that I'm done. I needed a shoulder to cry on and a pair of listening ear to hear me out. Yifan hushed me and carressed my hair gently. Thankfully, he didn't asked me any questions like "Why are you crying?" In fact, he hugged me even tighter and allowed me to continue crying. I felt like he knew what I was going through and that I needed to let it all out. I'm greatly thankful for that. Probably around 15 minutes later, I stopped crying and I definitely felt better. I was still in Yifan's embrace and I quietly observed his features. They were perfect, more than perfect, I would say. He realised that I was staring at him and he looked back at me. He wiped away my tears with his giantic  hands and gave me a rare warm smile.

"Are you feeling better now?" he asked softly.

"Yes, I am. Thanks and sorry for being such an embarassment." I said awkwardly.

"It's not a problem, Seo. I'm glad that you're actually feeling better."

"Aren't you gonna ask me why was I crying?" I asked with curiousity.

"I am curious to know, but it's up to you to decide if you wanna share about it or not."

For the first time in forever, I see him as a caring and thoughtful guy.

"Well, just now when the car was coming towards me, I thought I was gonna be dead. I closed my eyes and I recalled the car accident that took away my best friend. Miserable, huh?" I explained briefly.

"I'm sorry for your loss, Seo. Your best friend is surely in a better place now."

"I really hope so, Yifan. I hope to see her again. I miss her." I looked up the sky and whispered something to myself.

Yifan gave me a few pats on the back and I smiled back at him.

"So, do you wanna go home and rest for today?" he then asked.

I looked at the time on my phone and realised we were actually late for school.

"No...I don't feel like going home. Nor do I feel like going to school. We are late."

"Then let's go somewhere, shall we?"

"Don't you wanna go school?"

"Nope, school is not my style!" He chuckled and winked at me.

I cringed and laughed as well. Yifan then held out his palm. I placed my hand on top of his palm and wondered what was he up to this time round.

"Are you ready to run?"

"RUN? Absolutely not!" I cried out.

Yifan chuckled and tightened his grip on my hand. The next thing I knew was that we were running on our feet! He told me he was going to bring me to somewhere but I totally have no clue where was he going to bring me to. I actually prayed that he was not some creepy kind of serial killer. As we ran,the cool breeze touched my cheeks gently. Again, I carefully observed the side profile of Yifan. He looked kinda like an angel, truthfully. I giggled softly and warned myself that I should not have these kind of thoughts anymore.

As fast as our feet could bring us, we reached an unfamiliar yet beautiful place. It was a mysterious forest that were filled with enormous trees and a gentle slope.

"Is that a secret pathway to Heaven?" I jokingly asked.

"In your dreams, pabo!"

As we walked up the slope, we were engulfed by nature. The various types of sounds made by insects were like music to my ears. Throughout the whole journey, Yifan has been holding onto my hand tightly, as if he was afraid that I might wandered off by myself. The slope was higher than I expected. As soon as we reached the top, there were some tall grasses and I suppose we were going to walk through them. I was right! Yifan directed the way into those tall grasses and what appeared right in front of our eyes was unbelievable.

We were at the top of a hill and the view was breathtaking! The people, houses and vehicles were so tiny to be seen. The air was fresher and cooler. Everything was far beyond perfect. I spreaded my arms and pretended they were wings which caused Yifan to chuckle. After a full 10 minutes of admiring the whole view, I took a seat beside Yifan.

"Is this your secret getaway kind of place?" I asked.

Yifan gave me a small nod.

"I came to Korea a few years ago. But one day, my mum insisted me to go back China. I refused and I was really dejected. So I wandered around and found this place." he explained.

"So did you go back China after that?"

"Yes, I did. I followed my mum's instructions. However, I miss living in Korea. So I decided to come back here. Furthermore, I have to look for someone here."

'Someone?' I thought. 'Must be his girlfriend.'

"Oh" was the only response I gave.

"Dont worry, I'm not looking for my girlfriend." he teased.

I was shocked, did he read my mind or something?

"I'm not worried about you finding your girlfriend. That's none of my business." I claimed.

He laughed out loud, literally.

Afterwards, we exchanged some conversations mostly about life and school work.

"Seo, give me your phone."

"Why? What for? You arent gonna steal it, are you?"

"Do I look like a robber to you?"

"Yes, you do!" I mocked.

Nevertheless, I passed my handphone to him. He typed in his number and saved it as a contact.

"If you ever need someone to talk to, call me."

Truthfully, I was really touched by his words and actions today. He is different, in a special way...

 

 

A/N:

Thanks for subscribing and upvoting the story, readers! :) Do leave some comments, I would love to read them!