7: Promises

Labeled; A Baekhyun Fanfiction

Darcy. Darcy. Darcy.

Hyeri called out for her. She couldn't see through the thick gray fog. Reaching her arms out, she tried to push the mist away. 

"Darcy!" Hyeri called but to no avail. As she stepped further into the heavy condensation, she knew something was wrong. Suddenly, a small face appeared between the grayness. 

"Darcy?" Darcy's tiny body walked out of the fog. Blood seeped through her hospital gown. "Why are you bleeding?" 

"Hyeri." Her weak voice was hoarse and scratchy. 

"Yes?" Hyeri was frighten at the injured Darcy in front of her. Hyeri's frail arm tried to touch Darcy's face, but Darcy backed off.

"Wake Up." Darcy said lastly before disappeared completely. Everything began spinning around, making Hyeri's head hurt.

Another voice called, "Wake up, Hyeri!"

Hyeri's eyes shot open and the hospital ceiling was the first thing she saw. Hyeri sat up and collected herself. "What? What is it?"

"Darcy.. her surgery is done, but-"

"But what?" Hyeri questioned a worried Baekhyun.

"It didn't go as plan and... well, Darcy.. -"

"Baekhyun, please, please, don't tell me she's..." Warm tears blurred Hyeri's vision. "Gone."

"No.. she's alive, but she won't be for long. The doctor said she'll only last for two to three days." Baekhyun's face sadden and Hyeri cried harder. He could do nothing, but hug her tightly. His arms wrapped around her small head and her tears were soaked up in his clothing. He ran his fingers through her silky, brown hair. His cheek pressed against the top of her head and Hyeri's hand held onto Baekhyun's forearm. 

"I shouldn't have forced the surgery on her. It's my fault." Hyeri muffled.

Baekhyun pulled away and wiped her salty tears with his thumbs, "if she didn't have this surgery, she would've died the hard way, she would've felt pain. Her death will be painless now and expected, she'll finally stop hurting because of you. It's not your fault, Hyeri. No one is blaming this on you except for yourself.

"Baek, I wanna see her." 

"She had been taken to the recovery room. I'll take you soon."

Hyeri watched as Baekhyun tucked her blankets under her tiny body. "Baekhyun." She spoke softly. More tears rolled down her pale cheeks.

"Oh, Hyeri." Baekhyun pulled her into the same embrace. 

"Baekhyun, I-" Her tears poured, "I'm not doing well."

"What do you mean?" He pulled her away to face her. Holding her by her shoulders, he looked down at a distressed Hyeri. Her swollen eyes stared him down. It was the first time he saw Hyeri so vunerable and in his arms. He caressed her face and she broke eye contact. Baekhyun wanted to kiss her and tell her that he's here for her for absoluetly anything. He wanted to make her feel better, even though he still felt horrible himself. 

"I'm not doing so well, Dr.Taemin told me earlier today. I was too focused on Darcy that I forgot to eat and take my pills and now that she's dying, it only makes my depression worse. What if I fall back into that hell hole of stress again? I can't! Baek, you hear me? You can't let me fall back!" Hyeri sobbed into her palms."You can't." 

"Hyeri, please listen to me." Baekhyun grabbed her wrist and carefully removed her hands from her face, "I won't let you go back, you hear me? I won't ever ever let you go back into that sea of depression." 

"It's not going to be easy, you and I both know that." Hyeri was crying so intensely that her body was shaking. Her voice dropped down to a whisper.

"But I'll try, we'll try. We will get through this, mark my words Kyo Hyeri." Hyeri didn't respond, instead she quickly peered up and hugged Baekhyun once more.


"She's fragile, so be careful." Baekhyun pushed open the door and Darcy laid in bed, staring at the ceiling. Her montior beeped every three seconds. The room was smaller and it only fit one bed. It was one of the private rooms. A big window was on Darcy's right and sad clouds hung low.

"D-Darcy?" Hyeri choked out. Darcy's eyes trailed over to the door where Baekhyun and Hyeri stood.

"U-Unnie." Darcy's voice was tiny and scratchy. She could barely talk and Hyeri could barely hear her.

"Oh dear, everything's going to be okay." Hyeri ran over and sat next to Darcy's huge hospital bed.

"N-No, it's-it's not." Darcy coughed, a tear fell onto her white pillow.

"I'm not very good with my words, Darce. You'd have to forgive me for that." Hyeri held Darcy's little hand, "you need to know that yes, everything is not okay, but you're doing an amazing job of being mature and strong about the situation."

Darcy stared at Hyeri. She was too weak to smile or show any type of expression. "Darcy, blink twice if you're listening, that you're not zoning out." Hyeri rolled her lips together to stop herself from crying again.

Darcy's eyelids flutter shut twice. Hyeri let out a relieved sigh. "Remember the first night we met? When you said you wanted to be like me?" 

Darcy blinked twice again. "Well, now I want to be like you. I want to be just as strong as you. I want to be like you, Darce. Because I'm really falling apart nowadays and I can't hold myself together."

Now, Hyeri was the one in tears. Baekhyun shut the door and placed his hands on her shoulders, rubbing them softly. 

"U-Unnie, r-remember," Darcy wheezed. "Before my sur-surgery, about Oppa."

Hyeri peered up from her tears and after all the problems, Hyeri was surprised that's what Darcy only cared about. Darcy gave Hyeri a small nod and Hyeri turned around in her seat to see a confused Baekhyun.

"Don't worry, I'll take good care of him." Hyeri cracked a small smile and gave Darcy's hand a soft squeeze.

 "You should take care of yourself first rather taking care of anyone else, Hyeri." Baekhyun blurted out.

"What?" Darcy asked.

"Baek, why'd you say that?" Hyeri's hand fell from Darcy's bed.

 "We had to tell her soon." 

"But I just don't want to burden her! Especially if she's in this state." Hyeri sighed.

"Tell me what? I-Is everything al-alright?" Darcy coughed.

"Unnie is not... doing well. My depression worsen, but everything is okay because I have things under control ." Hyeri tried to console the young ten year old.

Darcy stared up at the ceiling, "Is Unnie still sick because of Darcy?"

"Never! Darcy, you have nothing to do with this. I was foolish and forgot to take my medicine." Her hand gripped Darcy's once again.

"U-Unnie, I-I want my last days with y-you and Oppa." Darcy's monotone voice filled the empty air. Tears rolled down at the side of her eyes and she tried to blink them away . 

Hyeri tried to smile through her own falling tears, "but Baekhyun has other patients to car-"

"It's okay. Oppa will spend his time with Darcy." Baekhyun spoke.

"And Unnie, I want y-you to fix you-your health..." Darcy continued staring at the ceiling. "Do it for me."

"Anything for you, Darcy." Hyeri sniffed.

"Do you both promise?" Darcy said blankly.

Hyeri looked up at Baekhyun as he looked down at her. They locked eyes andshared a small knowing nod before saying in unison, "we promise."


Hyeri and Baekhyun spent most of their hours with the frail child. It was the second to last day with her and Baekhyun rearranged his entire schedule.

"Darcy, what is something you've always wanted to do?" Hyeri sat on the other side of Darcy's bed while Baekhyun closed the door behind him.

"I've always wanted to watch Sleeping Beauty, but never gotten around to it." Darcy giggled, but ended up having a coughing fit.

"Baek, do you think the hospital has that movie? I want Darcy to watch it."

"I have it. I have the DVD." Darcy tried to sit up in her bed, but struggled. Instead, Hyeri got up from the bed.

"Don't get up, I'll get it for you." Hyeri suggested.

Baekhyun gently pushed Hyeri back down, "Let me get it. Darce, do you know where it is?" 

"Baek, I-"

"No Hyeri, just stay where you are. I can get it for her, I don't want you to get up." Baekhyun's face fell serious. His smile was gone and his face was left with a stone expression.

Darcy smiled, but quickly regained herself, "Oppa, it should be in my pink bag. My parents had bought me the movie a while back, but I never got to it play it."

Baekhyun squatted down and ped the pink duffle. He searched until the bottom and pulled out a DVD box still wrapped in a clear plastic film. "Found it."

"Can you see the television at that angle?" Hyeri asked Darcy. She nodded and Hyeri pulled up a chair.

Baekhyun slipped in the thin DVD into the player and the previews came on. "Oppa, sit next to me."

Darcy patted the space next to her body. Baekhyun carefully sat on and the bed shifted. 


Halfway through the movie, Hyeri's eyelids felt heavy and they fell slowly over her eyes. Baekhyun looked over at a sleeping Hyeri. Her chest heaved up and down. 

"Oppa..." Darcy peered up at him.

"Yes?"

"Do you like Unnie?" She asked innocently.

"Of course I do. Unnie and I are great friends."  Baekhyun gazed at the screen. Aurora had fallen under the wicked fairy's spell and followed her up the secret stairs.

Darcy's weak finger tapped at Baekhyun's hand. "You know what I mean."

Baekhyun's eyes widen. "I actually don't know what you mean, mind explaining?"

"Like, do you like like Unnie? Like you have a crush on her." Darcy's green eyes bore through his skin. Baekhyun's mouth gaped open a little, shocked by the question. His eyes trailed over to the peaceful Hyeri and he examined her.

Her features were dark and her body was skinny. Her bones poked out from beneath her gray skin. But her hair still shined and bobbed by her small face. Her eyelashes still danced on her cheeks and she was still, well, beautiful.

Baekhyun's heart sped up at the sudden feeling. His tummy stirred with something he couldn't really make out. His ears turned red at the sight of Hyeri's parted pink lips. In his mind, he wanted nothing more, but to hold and kiss her forever. In reality, he knew he couldn't. Everytime she called his name, the way it rolls off her tongue, it made his surroundings disappear. Everytime she called him oppa, he couldn't help, but blush beet red. He didn't know how he fell for his patient and wasn't sure if he'd get out of the whirling hole that was his feelings.

All her tiny movements shocked Baekhyun in the most graceful way. Her tears, her laughter, her smile, everytime she touched him - her. She was the reason why he's so unfocus, so nervous, so happy. 

"Yeah, I do." Baekhyun ducked down and saw a smiling Darcy. "Don't tell her though."

"Why not?"

"Because she'll never feel the same about me. Promise, Darce?" 

"Promise." The ten year old smirked after knowing the pefect secret.


Hyeri woke up to a small buzz. Her head popped up and she rubbed her eyes. The dark room and the bright television came into her vision. She looked at her right and a calm Darcy was asleep.

Hyeri tiptoed over to shut off the T.V. The room was now completely dark and Hyeri stumbled around, bumping into random objects.

"Unnie?" A small voice called.

"Sorry, did I wake you?" Hyeri froze.

"No, can you turn on the lights please?" Hyeri shuffled over to the switch and flicked it on. "It's hard for me to sleep anyways."

"How long did I sleep?" 

"Hm.. well what time is it now?" Hyeri looked around the room for a clock.

"10 o' clock." 

"You were asleep for five hours and I was asleep for four." Darcy chuckled, her voice hoarse.

"Where's Baekhyun?" She walked over to Darcy and poured her a glass of water.

"He had to go attend a patient, but he said he would wait until I had fallen asleep to leave." Darcy sipped it slowly. "Unnie.."

"Yes, Darce?" 

"You remind me a lot of Sleeping Beauty." She smiled cheekly.

Hyeri giggled and rested her head on the soft bed. "How?" She gazed up and waited for the young girl's explanation. 

"You're beautiful and royal, but you were cursed. The curse activates on the night of your 19th birthday and you faint. Instead of deep sleep, you fall into deep depression and you're stuck here. Instead of a true love's kiss to get you out, it's going to take actually meeting the one that makes you endlessly happy, the person that's going to change you completely."

"And who's this special person?" Hyeri laughed, very amused with her comparison. 

"Baekhyun Oppa." 

Hyeri's laughter slowly came to a stop and her mind went blank. A small thumping sound lingered around the room and it came from Hyeri's chest, from her beating heart.