1: The Beginning

Labeled; A Baekhyun Fanfiction

Hyeri's eyes shot open and her body rose from her hospital bed. Confused thoughts ran through her mind. How did she get here? Why was she here?

"Ah, I see you are awake." A boy dressed in scrubs stood at the end of her bed. His brown hair fell just above his brown eyes. She backed up until she hit the wall. Gripping the sheets, she watched as his delicate hands fixed around the syringes on a metal tray. "Don't be afraid. I'm licensed." He chuckled, trying his best to lighten up the mood.

"Where am I?" Hyeri knew how stupid the question was, but she couldn't believe the reality. The male nurse looked at her with a questioning expression.

Placing down the syringes, he leaned against the wall. "You seriously can't tell that you're in a hospital?"

"H-How? W-Why?" Those were the only words she could get out. Sighing, the boy shook his head.

"You fainted."

Hyeri brushed her caramel brown hair behind her right ear. She thought about what had happened before she out. Then it hit her, she couldn't waste her time moping around in a clinic. She had important people to see, to please. "I can't be here. I need to go." Her foot landed on the cold tiled floor.

"No can do, Miss. You have to stay here until your doctor's report comes out."

"You don't understand, I don't have time for that. I have places to go, people to meet." She tried standing up, but her weak legs failed her.

"The only place you need to be is here." He pushed her down onto the plush mattress.

"Excuse you, but do you know who I am?" Hyeri rolled her eyes at him. How dare he deny her request?

"You're a Kyo. We know exactly who you are. Your grandpa was here and how could we forget him? He worked us all to death." The boy carefully tucked the white sheets under Hyeri.

Looking around, she finally took in her surroundings. Nurses, who were holding empty metals and clipboards, peered into her room. They snarled at her and whispered into each other's ear. Some nurses pointed and shook their head, displeased with her being here.

"I feel so sorry for Baekhyun, having to take care of one of them. He doesn't deserve this." Some even said aloud. Hyeri propped herself against the pillows. "Are you Baekhyun?"

The boy looked up, surprised. "Yes, yes I am." Hyeri could only give him a cold hard stare in response.

"Do you have any family members whom we can call about you being here?"

Names of lost uncles, aunts, and cousins popped up in her mind. Hyeri crossed her arms and flicked her hair off her shoulder. "I don't have any relatives left."

"Not even a sibling or a distant grandmother? How about a godmother?" Baekhyun bickered on. Hyeri shook her head. "That makes no sense. How about a step parent or anything?"

Bing, a light bulb went off in Hyeri's head. Her stepmother, but how could she contact her? She wouldn't care. She never did. Baekhyun noticed Hyeri's face go blank. "Stay with me, now." He snapped his fingers.

Hyeri's eyes darted toward the noise. "No, will you quit asking? I don't have any family left. Look, if you need someone to pay the medical bill, you can just give it to me. I'll take care of the charges."

"That's not what I needed. I just needed to know if you had any family members to contact about you being emitted to the hospital." Baekhyun sassed and picked up his tray. "If you have any questions or concerns, there is a button at the side of your bed. Press on it, and I will show up to tend to your services." He walked out. Hyeri's thumb glided over the red button and suddenly applied pressure. A little buzz went off and her head shot to the door. Baekhyun's small figure came running her way. "Yes?"

"When will I be let out?" Hyeri picked at her nails.

"Unsure. We need to see your report before deciding anything."

Hyeri looked up. "Are you saying there is something wrong with me?"

"Maybe." Baekhyun leaned against the door frame. "We won't know until tomorrow morning."

"What time is it now?" Hyeri's head spun around, searching for a clock. Baekhyun sighed and rose his finger.

"Give me a second." His head turned toward his right, "Ruby Noona, what time is?" He tapped a nearby nurse.

"10 P.M." She said bluntly.

Baekhyun faced Hyeri again. "There you go. I highly suggest you rest first, it's going to be a long night."


How can anyone sleep comfortably with wires hooked up to their arm? Hyeri wasn't taking any of this. She tossed and turned in her cramped bed. Groaning loudly, she gave up and stared at the ceiling. Her attention slowly turned toward something that was being said outside her room.

"Can you believe we have another Kyo? Remember the last one? Ugh, she's going to work us until we collapse." A tiny voice whispered.

"The whole family is a handful. Imagine how she will be -"

"Spoiled, that's how she will be. They think they're all that because they're wealthy."

"Remember her grandfather threatening to take our jobs because of our bad service? I'm so glad he's not here anymore."

"Just be happy that you are not the one taking care of that brat and that Baekhyun is."

"I know, thank god for new comers. I can't even stand looking at her."

"Can you believe how loaded she must be? I bet she gets allowance bigger than our pay check."

"All you guys can do is gossip, go home." Another voice stepped in.

Hyeri was infuriated, nurses these days. How dare they speak so low of her like that? Hyeri gritted her teeth. "Stupid no good nurses." She whispered under her breath.

"They're talking about you, aren't they?" A small voice came from the darkness. Hyeri's heart pounded.

"W-Who's there?" She squinted, hoping to find a face that belonged to the voice. A lamp brightened the room. A little girl, all curled up in her tiny bed, blinked at Hyeri. She had big green eyes and a small mouth. Her hair was all gone and her body was frail. Hyeri was afraid that even a single stare was going to break her.

"I'm Darcy." Her small mouth curved into a gentle smile. Darcy tried propping herself up.

"Careful." Hyeri blurted out. She was scared that Darcy was going to snap every time she moved a muscle.

"Don't worry, I got it." Darcy giggled. Had Hyeri not noticed her the whole night? Hyeri couldn't help, but stare at her. "I don't talk much, sorry if I surprised you. I didn't think you even saw me earlier."

Hyeri gulped and shook her head. "I'm fine." Could someone be so skinny and weak? Darcy's face was gray, her beautiful green eyes remained the only vibrant color. "What's wrong with you?" Hyeri regretted what she had said seconds after the words poured from . "I mean, why are you here?"

"I'm diagnosed with Leukemia." Hyeri's heart shattered. All her life, she never met someone with cancer. Hyeri has never even been to a hospital. She did her best to focus on how great her own life was and never cared about anyone else. She didn't watch the news about sicknesses, she didn't even think about it. But now, before her was someone who was extremely sick. She saw little Darcy suffering by the minute. She knew and Darcy herself knew that Darcy wouldn't make it very long, that death awaits her at the other end. And the fact of that scared Hyeri more than she ever imagined.


Hyeri didn't sleep - she couldn't. Instead, she got to know Darcy a little more. Darcy was 10 years old, her favorite color was blue, her parents visit her daily, she was mixed Korean and European. Darcy was diagnosed two years ago and is under Chemotherapy. Darcy knows about death and how expensive her life is. She knew she was draining out her parents' money. Darcy was happy that Hyeri came because she hasn't had other company ever since last year. She also thought that Hyeri was the most beautiful girl ever, way prettier than the nurses that worked at the hospital.

"Aw, that's sweet of you." Hyeri smiled. Hyeri didn't say anything about herself to Darcy. What was the point? She was leaving this dump tomorrow. Her information was secrecy, even if everyone seemed to think they knew her.

"I know you probably don't want to tell me, but I have a question." Darcy fiddled with her thumbs.

"Go on, spit it out."

"Why were they speaking so badly of you?"

Hyeri huffed and chuckled, "probably jealous that I'm richer than they ever will be."

"You're wealthy?"

"You could say that."

Darcy's eyes turned into the size of bowling balls. "Wow, you're pretty and rich. That's so cool. I wish I was like you." Darcy's green eyes gleamed in the artificial light. Her expression was genuine. "You probably have a lot of boys that like you." Darcy looked down at her sheets. Seeing Darcy sad made Hyeri's heart twitch. It made her heart hurt.

"Darcy, you are already pretty. Why would you want to be like me?" Hyeri couldn't believe what she was saying. Never ever in a million years had Kyo Hyeri thought she would ever utter such words. Hyeri was cringing by the second.

Darcy's head darted up and a big smile was plastered on her tiny face. "You think so?" Hyeri forced herself to nod. Darcy's eyes were rimmed with tears. "Thank you."

A burning sensation took over Hyeri's chest. Her heart ached, something she has never felt before. A new feeling, a new emotion. Hyeri thought to herself, it was a nice feeling.