The Never Ending Tale

The Goldfish and the Shark

"Mommy! Mommy come quick!" A young boy cries, tan face plastered to cold glass. His squished nose makes his high voice sound nasally. She only ruffles the young boy's dark brown hair, glancing down at her 6 year old son lovingly as he gazes at the school of fish. "Mommy do you think we can take one home?" He inquires, brown eyes wide in question. "I think Jeremy is lonely in his fish tank! He needs friends," He turns his gaze back to the fish, making fish sounds. "You think they'd like him right? Even though he's just a little itty, bitty goldfish?" 

Her smile grows as she crouches to his level, pulling him into her side, "Of course they'd love Jeremy," she playfully pokes his stomach, making the said boy giggle before throwing his arms around his mother, boxed smile in place, "Who wouldn't love Jeremy?"

He mumbles into her neck as he holds tight, "So can we get one?" She pulls back, pretends to ponder the thought.

"No," she refrains from laughing as his lips already begin to form a pout, "but we can go to the pet store to get him another friend." He smiles once more, pleased with this news.

On the other side of the aquarium a young boy stands hands pressed to the glass, eyes wide in wonder as he watches as sharks swim past him, eyes almost as dark as coal watch it with almost a predatory focus. His round cheeks and front two bunny teeth offset the fierce gaze. He turns when his older brother tugs on his hand, black hair rustling on top of his pale head, "You're turning 5 today, aren't you excited little buddy?" His smile widens, eyes crinkling cutely at the edges.

"I'll be a whole hand after today!" He brings up his small fist only to slowly uncurl each finger, one at a time. His brother grins, reaching his own, larger hand to the outstretched fingers, gently curling his hand around it.

"Let's go, you have presents to open in the party room!" His brother gently tugs his hand and with one final glance towards the shark tank he leaves them behind.

They have yet to meet one another, but later that night they shall start to remember. The never ending tale of the goldfish and the shark.