Fish of Gold

The Goldfish and the Shark

The ship sways with the waves of the sea, clean, leather boots make their way down the deck, before they come to a halt at the end of the ship. His black hair tussled slightly by the wind, with eyes dark and piercing that look into the far distance. He searches the sea, crossing his muscular arms across his royal blue, navy uniform. He is one of the highest commanders of this ship, which is poised as a decoy, hoping to lure in pirates. They are never far he thinks as he seas the familiar shape of a ship coming into view, the black flag blowing in the wind.

He turns sharply, taking brisk steps back to the cabin, "They're coming, are we prepared men?" He glances in the direction of the soldiers hidden in the cabin, it's a tight fit but they want the pirates to think it is a mere cargo ship.

"Yes sir, we are ready for when they board," one man speaks, the second highest ranking officer below himself. 

"Very good," there is a thud, he smirks, lips curling at the edges dangerously, eyes twinkling with the knowledge of a good and bloody fight ahead, "Very well, it's seems they have arrived." He turns sharply, lifting a hand to beckon the soldiers to follow him. 

He is the first to reach the deck, sword drawn, guns were too loud and too impersonal he felt. 

The ship is already a trashed wreck, boxes smashed, looking for any valuable goods.

The blood that runs through his veins turns cold as he hears a familiar laugh coming from the sail above him. An airy, deep voice soon follows and makes him turn to look up, "Very good, very good! The fun is only getting started boys!"

He nearly drops his sword from shock as he sees the face he hasn't seen in years. The man before him has grown since their childhood friendship, his ahi now a darker shade of brown, almost black falls into his eyes. His eyes is what catches him off guard when they first make eye contact, they still hold the same childish wonder in them, but it's been dimmed throughout the years. 

It takes the older a few moments to recognize him it seems, as the older boy pounders the navy soldier, wonders why he hasn't joined his soldiers in the fight against his crew. Moments later realization flashes across his face, eyes widening in delight as he sits up straighter, the same boxed smile the soldier remembers from his youth, stretching across the pirates face.

"Kookie!" Comes the shout, full of youthful joy as he stands to his feet, dangerously teetering in his haste to get down. Jungkook unintentionally relaxes, shoulders easing at the nickname he hasn't heard in years. 

He feels his heart stop as the man rushes to meet him, excitement plain on his face, "How have you been?" He's as causal as he's always been, talking as if his crew and Jungkook's men weren't dying all around them. As if chaos was a normality for the older.

He supposes it was.

"Taehyung." It's short and almost painful to say as memories of Taehyung and himself playing around, climbing trees and rolling down hills, flood his memory. 

Taehyung pouts slightly looking at him with wide, playful eyes, "That's not my nickname and you know it Kookie."

He lets out a breath, the name that used to come so easily, so simply leaving him in an almost I audible whisper, "Tae Tae."

There's a laugh, one that makes him feel at home, that makes the care free child he once used to be want to burst from his chest. Before he can respond Taehyung takes a look around the ship, face dropping as he finds most of his men dead, the other few living ones bound with rope tied tightly around their wrists. A soft gust of air leaves him, "Oh, oh no." He turns wide eyes to Jungkook, eyes that make him want to shrink away. 

"Sir, shall we make them walk the plank? It seems most fitting, don't you think?" Jungkook looks at his highest ranking soldier, swallows thickly and nods, knowing that his childhood best friend shall share the same fate. 

Two men come up from behind Taehyung, the two friends remain eye contact as Taehyung's wrist are tied painfully behind him, he does not struggle. They pull Taehyung roughly by the shoulders, making to drag him to the plank, "Halt men, I shall take care of this one," his voice shakes and he knows that some of his men have caught on to the fact that he once knew this pirate standing before him. Some bowing their heads in respect for their commanding officer, others sneering.

He grasp Taehyung's elbow gently, eyes watering as he walks the other to the plank at a snails pace. His heart constricts painfully in his chest as he stops at the edge, closing his eyes he breathes deep, now hating the smell of the ocean water, one smell that once soothed his troubled soul. Reopening his eyes he looks over at Taehyung, one of his most treasured friends, opens his mouth to apologize. 

"Don't you dare say it Kookie, don't you dare apologize," the other cuts him off, knowing the other almost as well as he knew himself, "I chose this life, your family made you joint he navy," he gives a bitter smile, one Jungkook has never seen. "After all you were from one of the wealthiest families and I was just a mere peasant." He takes a deep breath, steeling himself before he continues, tries to soothe the younger, "This isn't your fault, alright?" He gently nudges the younger with his shoulder, feigning his usual naturally happy appearance, "Hey, maybe while I'm down there I'll find a fish made of gold," it comes out shakier than the older intended, the fear seeping in as he knew how shark infested the waters were. 

Taehyung turns to face Jungkook, his back to the open sea as he gives one last watery smile, "I'll do this myself so you don't have too," and with those final words he lets himself fall, fall into the vast ocean that he once claimed to rule. Eyes locked with the one true friend he ever made.

Jungkook screams, lurches forward to try and catch the already falling man, chokes on his friend's name. His boot catches on the wooden plank, causing him to stumble and making him top heavy as he tumbles right after his friend. As his body makes contact with the biting cold, salty sea water he remembers that he never did learn to swim, and finds solace in that fact. His eyes burn but it's nothing compared to his lungs, they feel as if they are on fire, so he lets go. He takes in a lungful of water and his head burst in pain from the lack of oxygen. He fades slowly and painfully, the only thing running through his head is the name of his childhood friend.

Taehyung.

The newly turned 5 year old wakes up, salty tears streaming down plump, round cheeks, his chest burns much like in his nightmare as he clutches tighter to his stuffed shark. 

He cries quietly in the comfort of his room, cries for a name he's never heard in his waking hours.

Cries for Taehyung.