001

Life saver

 

 

     "Lee Joo Ra!" Mr Shim (Changmin) shouted with a hint of dismal. Joo Ra shot up with a gasp as her weary head lifted up from the comfort of her slightly bent arm which had her indolent hand hanging off the opposite side of her desk. A little giggle could be heard on the right side of the room - which was most definitely from a person sitting near the classroom door. Joo Ra had an idea of who it was but didn't have anytime to turn and frown at the snickering individual; she still had a ticked off teacher (who was about near ready to explode) in her hands.

     "Well?.... What's your answer?" Mr Shim asked with his patience balancing on the very tip of his nose. Still shocked from being suddenly woken up during her delightful catnap, Joo Ra gawked at her maths teacher only giving him the slightest blink as a reply. Mr Shim sighed with dismay but decided to have some mercy towards his student. He indicated the interactive white board in front of her - on which the sum, she had been asked to answer, was projected on. The dozy girl glanced at the piece of technology that was pointed at.

     "I- I'm sorry sir, I don't know what the answer is..." Joo Ra said, slowly quietening her croaky voice as she reached the end of her sentence. Her teacher frowned.

     "Miss Lee, please pay attention to my class unless you want me to waste your time too the next time you fall asleep during my lesson," Mr Shim warned, in a harsh tone. The slightest snickering began to continue on the right-hand side of the room. 

     Mr Shim speedily turned to his left to face the smartest in the maths class: Oh Sehun. The maths teacher then asked him to answer the question instead. The individual held a small whiteboard with the answer presented onto it. Sehun wasn't the type of guy who liked to talk. Nobody knew why he didn't talk. Joo Ra slightly twisted her body to the right and turned her head to gaze at Sehun. He had a fair and pale complexion almost as if it was of a girl's, Everything on his face were the right size as well as in the right places and his jaw line was sharp enough to cut a slice of meat. His blonde hair was at a just-going-over-the-ear length and was swiftly swept back away from his face almost as if he wasn't even trying to look good. He could easily pass as one of the models on the magazines which everyone in school always had. Oh Sehun was a boy of perfection but no one ever had the courage to talk to him. It was probably because they knew he would just ignore them or they were scared of that sharp glare of his. At that very moment she felt something penetrate through her thoughts. Suddenly, Joo Ra realised that Sehun was doing the latter and was glaring right at her. Eye-to-eye contact was made and Joo Ra quickly span her timid head towards the front of the classroom again - cheeks slightly flushing a bright pink due to embarrassment.

     Well, that definitely shook her wide awake.

     As soon as the bell rang everyone in the class began to pack up their equipment and head to the canteen (A/N: Or, if you don't live in England like me or in other places in Europe then). Joo Ra started prodding towards the classroom door but was rudely stopped as a flat object softly landed on her head. The young girl turned her neck to her right and saw a tall figure holding his maths book upon her head.      

     "Park Chanyeol," she thought with a sigh. Chanyeol had his jet black hair jelled to his right. The teenage boy had ears just like the legend, Jedi master: Yoda. He was handsome too but that would be an awkward thing to think about her best friend.

     Joo Ra was still mad at Chanyeol for giggling whilst she was being scolded by Mr Shim earlier but it would be useless to hold an argument with her close friend so she just decided to give the tall boy a smile. "Are you going to the usual place?" Chanyeol asked happily.

     "Yeah, but I just need to quickly get my lunch box out of my locker," Joo Ra explained to the her friend who was still holding his maths book on her head (A/N: LOL they still had a normal conversation even though he was holding a book on her head. XD). "Well, I'm heading to the canteen... I'll meet you there later, okay?" Chanyeol assured politely. Joo ra responded with a nod and began to walk out of the classroom leaving Chanyeol with his hand still holding his maths book in the air in front of him like an idiot.

     Joo Ra walked across the school's hallway. Chattering could be heard which would also be accompanied with an occasional scream or laughter. Joo Ra would tilt her head downwards with a smile from time to time to reply to greetings from fellow piers. Yes, she was actually quite popular in her school - one of the two reasons was her looks. Joo Ra's face had a ratio of 1:1:1. She had a small thin face with pretty eyes and eyebrows at the right distance from them. Her upper lips were quite average and thin, where as her bottom lips were quite plump. Complimenting her face, her wavy, black hair fell around her shoulders. Joo Ra's slim yet toned pale-body was 164cm tall. Continuing to walk, she took a turn to the right.

     The hallway's wooden floor matched with the painted, white walls where Navy blue lockers were lined up along. 제교다이(Jegyodi: Je-gyoh-die) High School was just your average secondary school. It had the same old dull atmosphere, grumpy teachers and fed-up students that were just able to cope a civilised conversation with others.

     Joo Ra arrived at a locker which had the number 271 engraved onto it. She inserted a number pin onto the touch screen on the left of her locker door and her locker unlocked immediately. She sighed for a moment whilst staring into her locker. Maths was definitely not a sector for Joo Ra. In fact, she was never good at anything academically. Grabbing her lunch box, she also grabbed a black Nike sports bag. Joo Ra then closed her Navy blue locker and began to walk towards the school president's office.

     After finding her way past the slightly crowded hallway, Joo Ra finally was outside of the school president's office. Opening the door and slowly walking into the room, She felt a light poke on her right cheek. The young girl, that was standing under the door frame, looked down onto the floor and saw a small piece of ripped off rubber (eraser ). She then looked up again. And just like a while ago, she saw a grinning Chanyeol at the other side of the room - this time doing his signature peace sign near his eye also. Joo Ra frowned at her friend which made Chanyeol smile even brighter seeming that, that was the reaction he wanted from her. "Chanyeol! behave yourself" the other figure in the room exclaimed. It was Joo Ra's second best friend, Seohyun. 

     Seohyun too, was quite the looker. Her straight, hazel brown hair flowed to her waist. Pretty features layed on her pure white face which only had a hint of make-up. Seohyun was quite tall (168cm), but not at a height to match with Chanyeol who was 185cm. But, under all of that beauty, she was a complete nerd: always getting straight and consistent A*'s (A+) on every subject - a reason why she was indeed, school president. But, that's what Joo Ra loved about her: she was smart, hard working - always excelling at everything she wanted to and of course was a loving and caring person.

     The black haired girl sat beside Chanyeol at the table in the middle of Seohyun's office. She would've sat next to Seohyun, but there were a pile of sheets next to her and Joo Ra didn't want to cause a fuss on having to move the sheets. The happily dug into their food whilst having a casual friendly conversation. 

     As they were slowly finishing their lunches, the conversations died down a little until one of the friends spoke up. "Joo-ya, you know.....you need to stop dozing off during your classes!" Seohyun scolded. Joo Ra thought to herself and questioned how Seohyun would know about her sleeping during maths class. She didn't attend any classes: she stays cooped up in this room everyday. How could she have known? Suddenly, she glanced at Chanyeol who was sitting in his chair with proudness like he has just won a trophy or something. "Of course," she thought to herself. Chanyeol must have told Seohyun whilst Joo Ra was getting her packed lunch out of her locker. "I know your education has nothing to do with me just like you have informed with already, but I'm saying this as one of your best friends. You have to at least pay attention to what's being taught otherwise you won't be able to do what you love best. We all know how much you love your hobby and I want to see you enjoy it! You, yourself, know that if your grades aren't high enough or at least reaching the criteria then the school will only allow you to do it as a core subject but they won't allow you to partake in anything to do with it out of lessons!" Seohyun explained trying to keep her tone as down as possible. Joo Ra nodded in agreement. She new that her best friend was more than right and loved her for always watching out for her. 

 

"Seohyun-ah! Don't be so harsh on our Joojoo!" Chanyeol complained whilst latching his arm around the latter. Joo Ra cringed at the fact that Chanyeol still called her that - why is an 18 year old boy still using a nickname from when they were still in their childhood? (A/N: tbh, I actually think it's cute - not cringe worthy, but I'm just trying to build Joo Ra's character and the story plot at the same time ;D) "you don't need to worry about Joo Ra's education one bit! I'll help her with her studies as usual!" Chanyeol continued, as he picked up Joo Ra's last strawberry with her fork and held it in front of . Joo Ra looked at the strawberry that was picked up from her plastic container. Suddenly, a bell began to ring within the school primacies, indicating that lunch was over and everyone had to go to their next lesson. Joo Ra quickly grabbed the strawberry off of the fork in Chanyeol's hand and shoved it in his mouth which was once making an 'aaaaaaaaah~' sound. After that, she immediately packed up her lunch box and grabbed her bag. Saying a farewell to her friends, she slowly left the room. Chanyeol was still sat in his seat. He had a displeased look on his face as Joo Ra did not accept the strawberry - which was initially hers - he had offered her. But, his cheeks were slighty blushing due to the contact between Joo Ra's fingers and his lips. Seohyun eyed the tall boy and raised an eyebrow. "And what are you still doing here?" She asked the boy who was lost in his own thoughts. Suddenly, Chanyeol shook his head like a puppy and stood up with his bag on his shoulder. After saying goodbye to Seohyun, he speedily left the room.

 

Joo Ra walked out of the girls changing room and into the huge hall which had grey concrete walls and floor. The school would have designed it nicer if it was just an ordinary hall like their assembly hall. But in here, everything would just get scratch, grazed or burnt; so they didn't bother. Joo Ra switched on her training saber and it with a 'vroom'. With glee and excitement, the girl continued to strut deeper into the training ground holding her weapon in her right hand. Suddenly, she stopped and stared at the apparatus called a "Sabender" in front of her. It was a small black machine which was the shape of half a pill. The Sabender could morph from a small size, to the height of the person using it. It too had a training saber which could freely roam anywhere on the Sabender's smooth surface.The function of this machine is to block every single attack that is aimed towards it. And, the aim of the user of the sabender, is to try to hit the body of the droid. This helps you enforce your speed - to hit the Sabender before it moves to block you. 

 

Joo Ra tightened her grip onto her training saber and began to walk towards the Sabender. She launched an attack onto it, but with it's pink saber, it blocked her attack immediately. She jumped back. Going for another attempt to land her mint green saber on the droid, she tried to slash her saber vertically through the "opponent" from the top. Unfortunately, in a blink of an eye, the Sabender too moved swiftly to block the attack. Joo Ra hissed as she stumbled back from the force of the two sabers colliding. The black haired girl once again slowly took her stance. Then, she rushed towards the apparatus. Suddenly, the Sabender went for the kill and began to swing it's saber from the left - horizontally heading towards the right. But due to Joo Ra's unnatural speed, she skilfully bent her neck back - only to feel the wind coming from the pink saber on the tip of her nose. Speedily, she lifted her head upright again. Whilst the Sabender's Weapon was still advancing to the right from it's last attack, she brought her lightsaber to her left till her right forearm was across her face. And as quick as a train, her saber sliced diagonally through the Sabender.

 

Yes, people may have adored her because of her looks but the second of the two reasons why they liked her was most definitely because of her fighting skills.

 

Maths was not a sector she handled well. But, handling a  lightsaber...certainly was.

 

 


Hey guys! I hope you liked the first chapter! ^.^

If there are any words you don't know the meaning of, please comment below and I'll write it here ;) 

Also, in the next chapter, if there are things that are called differently like: cafeteria- canteen, I'll put it in bold in brackets. :D

If there are any comments on anything so far, please feel free to comment it :) x