One

The Wallflower
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

One

 

Behind the French window, stood a tall, slender girl with boring look as she casted a blank glance outside where a small gathering was held at the small garden behind the house and she didn’t even bother to join and mingle with the crowds. Everyone were wearing casual dress while acted oh-so-fragile especially the ladies with a glass of champagne on their hand when a few male companions were around.

“Hypocrite.” She muttered before straying away from the window. Instead of being down there, she would rather lock herself in her room with things she likes.

However, her father’s words keep crossing into her mind like a broken tape. She cringed at the thought of it.

‘It’s important for our business and theirs. If you acted like you didn’t care regarding these matter, people would talk back behind my back. Please, understand me, sweetheart?’ Her father said with loving gaze but she replied nothing.

She makes her way to a length mirror next to the door with heavy steps. Her face showed a disgusted face as she looked at her reflection.

“This is not me.” She muttered under her breath, clenching her fist besides her.

She wore strapless gown peach color which reached her knee, her long brunette hair pulled up in a bun but a few strand of hair let loose and a pair of high heel with the same color. The lipstick started to dissipate so she went back to make-up table and grabbed the tube to apply it on her lips.

The sound of knocking on the door caught her by surprise. She was about to say ‘come in’ when a familiar head peek inside with a playful grin on his face.

“Changmin, why are you here? Worried that I didn’t come out from my room and so father asked you to fetch me?” She immediately shoots him with questions before the lad got a chance to open his mouth.

Her elder and only brother in the family – Kim Changmin. Despite their personality contrasts with each other, they are much closer like twins. Him with lively attitude and her is more reserved.

He closed the door behind him and took a few steps towards her. Both of them inherited height from their father and beauty from their mother which both of them were proud of that they were always bragged about them in front of the distant relatives.

Changmin shook his head as he stood in front of her. “No, father didn’t ask me to fetch you. I came here to announce you that our old friends are here.” He smirked with an intention to mess up her hair when his hand stopped mid-air. Imagined the feeling of their mother’s wrath because messing up her hair which must took a long time, he abandoned his devious intention.

She stifled a laugh. “Good boy. Come on! I just finished re-touch my make-up. Those ladies down there would gossip behind my back right if they saw Mr. Kim’s daughter smudged her lipstick.” Seohyun pushed her brother out from the room as they walk side by side with her arm linked to his arm towards the garden behind the house.

His eyebrow rose. “How do you know they’ll gossip about you behind your back? They’re probably chatting about their children’s future as they always do. Oh, who knows they might plan to match you with one of their bachelor son.” He teases her.

A sarcasm laugh escaped from . “Very funny. Didn’t I tell you before I could read people’s lips? One of my friends is deaf and so he taught me how. It took me almost two month to master it though.”

“His name is Hoon, right? Where has he been residing after his parents’ death?”

She shook her head. “We lost contact briefly after I attended his parent’s funeral. When I went to his house, he was already moving out and no one knows where. It’s like he didn’t want anyone to know where he could be.” She murmured, still offended with her friend’s antic suddenly gone without leaving any note behind.

Changmin was about to comment something but decided to keep to himself. He squeezed her shoulder lightly and gave her a soft smile he could to soft her heart. “How about you forget about it for a minute? Come on. They were probably feeling antsy to see how beautiful you are grown up to be especially that guy.” He grinned – knowing his sister would have guessed whom he was talking about.

Her forehead suddenly scrunched. “That arrogant, stuck-up brat who always picked fight with me is here too? If I knew, I should have declined your offer just now.” Her tone sound angry.

Changmin looked at her like she just popped another head on her shoulder. “Sometimes I forgot both of you are like water and oil. Can’t we put the difference aside?” He sighed.

“See! You even admit that both of us are like water and oil. Yet, you always insisted by bringing me to play with your friends where I’m happy on my own.” She mumbled – still sound irritated.

Changmin could only laugh over her moody antic. They were passing a group of middle-aged ladies and as a gentleman he was raised to be, he gave them a sincere smile he could muster. “Good afternoon ladies.” He bided them a greeting. Seohyun didn’t even bother to greet. She purposely harden her face and continue walking pass them.

The ladies acknowledged Changmin’s greeting with a perfect smile before resuming their conversation. However, Seohyun noticed their gazes were still on them through peripheral vision and they were probably talking about them or specifically – her brother. Ever since he had reached a legal age to be in hand of marriage, he would always have his hand full with preposition but he declined with the reason he has still a long way to go before settling down.

Like a possessive sister she is, Seohyun pulled his arm almost in force and gestured him to lead the way. Changmin was baffled with her sudden changes attitude.

“You’re okay, Juhyun?” He asked in worried tone.

Seohyun shrugged his worries with a happy smile. “I’m okay. Don’t you worry about me.” She replied before letting go of his arm as she tilted her head to see a very few familiar faces she still recognized and most of them when she was still a kid.

Just then, she spotted a group of young men who were busy chattering about something funny because they were laughing happily with a glass of champagne on their hand. The other maidens who were standing not too far from them couldn’t help but staring at them with dreamy faces.  Changmin makes his way towards them almost quickly – forgotten about the reason he brought her at the first place.

She bites her lower lips which threatening to smile as she is observing them one by one.

 

The first person she noticed was a man with goatee and his hair were comb back with s

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter