two.

pride is not the word i’m looking for
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Three hours before Junhwe picks her up to go to his house for their first 'date', Nayeon is already freaking out over what to wear. Her room, normally neat and tidy, is in shambles and she's not sure where her lipstick is located after she accidentally threw it over her shoulder looking for the perfect purse. She hasn't even decided on what dress to wear, mostly because the dresses she does own are mostly... well, out of style (it's a nicer way of saying ugly, and besides, she doesn't think the clothes are necessarily ugly). Maybe Junhwe was right about her dressing as bad as Hanbin without his fashion intervention. The logical voice in her head advises her to just call Junhwe and ask him for his help, but the more stubborn side of her adamantly refuses, because she knows Junhwe would most likely laugh at her instead of actually coming over and doing anything about it.

So, she settles for the second option.

"Chaeyoung!" Nayeon exhales a breath of relief as her friend picks up after a ring, the exhaustion seeping into her tone. "Oh my god, you picked up. Thank god."

"What's wrong?" Chaeyoung sounds worried over the phone, and Nayeon takes a deep breath, trying to calm herself because now that Chaeyoung's most likely on board, everything will turn out fine. Well, hopefully.

"Why didn't you tell me all my dresses were out of style?" She whines, scrunching her nose in frustration, and after a few moments of silence on the other line, she hears Chaeyoung's laugh and can imagine the younger girl rolling her eyes at Nayeon's weirdness. "I'm serious! I have a serious . . . thing tonight and there's nothing I can wear!"

"What thing are we talking about here, exactly?"

"Well, um. It's a date. Kind of."

Nayeon has to tear the phone away from her ears when she hears a loud squeal, because damn, Chaeyoung can squeal. "You had a date and you didn't even tell me about it? Who's the unlucky guy?"

A nervous laugh bubbles in Nayeon's throat as she thinks of how pissed Junhwe would be at her if she tells him she may have accidentally told her best friend, but Nayeon tries to shrug it off as best as she can, quickly hiding the nervousness with casual nonchalance. "It's um, Junhwe - "

"I knew it! I knew you guys liked each other! Junhwe doesn't usually get close to girls, I've totally told you that before!"

" - but it's not what you think!" Nayeon corrects Chaeyoung before the other can delve deeper into her conspiracy theories, but she's lying if she says she doesn't have her cheeks lightly flushed because of what the girl said. But, Nayeon assures herself, it's nothing. Junhwe has been her friend for as long as she can remember, and she's sure the guy doesn't think of her as any more than a friend, or a noona figure in his life, maybe. "He just needs me to go on this date as a plus one, for a family thing."

"He's even inviting you to meet his family!"

"Chae, what are you talking about? I've met his family dozens of times before."

"Details."

Nayeon rolls her eyes, but she still smiles fondly anyway. "I still haven't found a good enough outfit yet, could you lend me something of yours? Please?" While she isn't that good with fashion, her close friend is leaps and bounds ahead of her in it, and Nayeon knows she's lucky enough to have friends like Chaeyoung to save her from being a walking fashion disaster. (And Junhwe too, of course).

"Fine. I'll head over your place in a few minutes, but you owe me one."

Less than ten minutes later, Chaeyoung storms inside Nayeon's house, her hands filled with dresses. Nayeon's eyes widen at the sight and her mind boggles, because honestly, how is one person able to have so many clothes? She doesn't get to ask though, as Chaeyoung immediately settles the dresses on Nayeon's bed and she looks at Nayeon, eyes moving upside down in a quick onceover. Nayeon feels somewhat scrutinized, but it's Chaeyoung, so.

"Have you asked him what he's going to wear later?" Chaeyoung asks, plopping down on Nayeon's bed seemingly without care. 

Nayeon shrugs. "Nah, I didn't think it was important. Why?" She asks immediately, after seeing Chaeyoung's rapidly widening eyes. "Was it that important?"

Chaeyoung lets out a groan, sounding frustrated as her brows knit together and her lips curl into a grimace. "It's more than important, Nayeon! How do you expect me to help when I don't have an idea of what he's going to wear?" She sighs, and Nayeon feels guilt settle in her stomach, because Nayeon hates causing stress to her friends, especially if it's someone as close to her as Chaeyoung. "You know what, okay. Since this is Junhwe we're talking about, I'm going to go with a guess and say he'll wear something black."

"He doesn't wear black all the time, Chae."

"I know he doesn't, he just looks good when he's wearing black." Chaeyoung has to dodge when Nayeon aims a pillow at her cheeky grin, spluttering in indignation as she does. "Im Nayeon! What was that for?" She laughs as she says it, short hair bouncing along with her shoulders as they shake with laughter.

"Do you ogle Junhwe?" The incredulous tone in Nayeon's voice only serves to rile Chaeyoung up, however, as Chaeyoung soon has a smirk blossomed on her features, causing Nayeon to immediately regret her previous statement. God damn it, she really isn't one for subtle wording. 

"Why, are you jealous? I have the right to ogle anyone I want, and -" Chaeyoung's words are cut by a squeal as Nayeon aims a Pikachu plushie at her, and this time, she isn't able to dodge. "Okay, okay! I get it, you're an overprotective girlfriend of Goo Junhwe, I get it."

"Whatever." Nayeon rolls her eyes, trying to suppress a smile. "Anyways, what do you think I should wear?"

Chaeyoung inspects Nayeon from head to toe, stare lingering at Nayeon's unstyled hair and the furrow of her brows. After a few contemplative moments, she snaps her fingers, causing Nayeon to jump as she was not expecting that. "I think you should go for the classy route," Chaeyoung starts to explain, her fingers already moving towards one of the many dresses. Nayeon's eyes follow Chaeyoung's movements, and her eyes widen when she sees which dress Chaeyoung has her hands gripped to. "I don't know, I think you'd rock this one. Try it!" The shorter girl pushes Nayeon to Nayeon's own bathroom, the door ajar before, and slams the door before Nayeon gets a chance to utter a word of protest. 

In the mirror, Nayeon carefully places the dress on one of the hangers on the bathroom door, and tries to not think about how feminine and elegant the dress looks, because if she does, the feeling of not being worthy enough to wear Chaeyoung's dress only grows. She swiftly shrugs off her house clothes - pink short shorts and a bunny tank top - and pulls the dress over her head, and after a few moments of squirming and awkward fumbling of her hands, she manages to fit in the dress. Using her hands to tidy her hair, brushing her hair off to the sides and carefully tucking behind a stray of hair, she turns to look at herself in the mirror. 

She almost gasps when she sees her reflection.

The Nayeon staring back at her in the mirror is so different than the Nayeon she usually is. Instead of beanies and casual graphic hoodies, the black dress Nayeon's wearing puts the image of the previous clothes to shame. The dress hangs over her knees perfectly, and the dress just makes her feel prettier than usual (which is saying a lot, because Nayeon considers herself as a person blessed with good genes). Just a little bit of makeup, and Nayeon's convinced she'll end up looking like a better, more feminine version of herself.

"Im Nayeon, are you done? I gotta pee!"

A bubble of laughter escapes when she hears Chaeyoung's urgent tone, and grabbing her old clothes, Nayeon opens the bathroom door and grins at Chaeyoung, who had been standing outside the bathroom door with a pleading facial expression.

Upon seeing her best friend, however, Chaeyoung's expression morphs into a more amazed one, and a wide grin appears. "You look amazing! I knew it, I knew that'd look amazing. You're welcome," and before Nayeon gets the chance to respond, Chaeyoung is already scurrying past her to the bathroom, slamming the door behind her.

'Tonight is going to be great,' Nayeon thinks to herself, mostly because she needs the reassurance to not mess the whole thing up and gain Junhwe's eternal annoyance.

/ / /

When Junhwe picks her up, he's wearing the most expensive suit Nayeon thinks he owns (or did he borrow it from Hanbin? Who knows, really) and suddenly, Nayeon's glad her parents are on a trip or else the two of them would be held back by the excessive photography. Although, really, the sight of Goo Junhwe wearing a suit and looking all dressed up makes her want to take out a phone and take a picture, just so it'll last longer. Such forth was the power of Junhwe.

"You look," Nayeon tries to say, but the words get stuck in and she just stands there, staring at the smirking Junhwe who holds out his arm to her. "You look, wow. You look great. You really dressed up, didn't you?"

Junhwe snorts. "If anyone dressed up, it's you." His eyes are twinkling with amusement a

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter