one.

pride is not the word i’m looking for
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Whenever Junhwe calls Nayeon, asking her to meet up in the minimarket in their sleepy little town, it's more often than not just a way for the both of them to pass time - staring and trying to come up with theories of the passerbys walking in front of the window, or slurping down cold noodles together on their cheat days - or, on a rarer but not unheard of occasion, a way for Junhwe to soften Nayeon up before asking her a favour, such as making her do his math homework when he doesn't understand a thing or him asking her to reject one of his friends just so he could win a bet (that was one time, and it was admittedly cruel, but Nayeon couldn't resist the temptation of Junhwe's collection of signed idol posters). On this occasion, with Junhwe still dressed in his uniform and Nayeon wearing an oversized shirt with her hair in a messy braid, she idly wonders why he looks so... tense. Tenser than usual, at least, because she can't really remember the last time she's seen Junhwe smile.

"What's this about?" Nayeon asks, pulling out the chair next to him and unceremoniously plopping down. She pops a potato chip in as she watches him, waiting for a response. Junhwe doesn't look at her, which is unusual, but she doesn't really care whether Goo Junhwe looks at her or not. She's got better things to worry about anyway, like that essay she's supposed to turn in half an hour but she hadn't started at all. Bah, decisions.

"You know about my grandparents, right?" Junhwe begins, and Nayeon raises a brow.

"I do, but I don't see how they've got anything to do with this."

"They've got everything to do with this," Junhwe mutters darkly, and Nayeon's interest is piqued. It's not that Junhwe's rarely in a bad mood, as it was actually more of the opposite, but she can't really imagine being called to the grocery store to talk about Junhwe's grandparents, who seemed nice enough to her.

Hesitantly, Nayeon reaches out to pat his arm, gaining her an odd look from the younger. "What? I was trying to be supportive. Carry on." Nayeon smiles sheepishly and retracts her arm, and Junhwe's stare lingers for a few more seconds before he continues.

"They're constantly bothering me about settling down." A grimace settles on his face, which really isn't all that unusual for him, but Nayeon still frowns when she sees it. She hates it when her friends are upset, and despite Junhwe looking like he's almost always upset, it didn't mean she'd gotten used to it. "My grandmother, especially. She works for a matchmaking agency - no, Nayeon, don't ask me the name - and she was planning to set me up with this girl four years younger than me."

"Ew."

"Ew, exactly." Junhwe nods his head in agreement a little too enthusiastically, and Nayeon can't help the amused and warm smile on her face. "The last time she came over, she brought me pictures and contact information and everything. I couldn't help it, so," at this he heaved a deep sigh, and Nayeon wonders if he is going to stay something dramatic like him getting a girl pregnant or something to make himself seem undeserving of his grandmother's superb matchmaking skills, "I told them I had a girlfriend."

Oh, . Is this really going where she thinks it's going? Is Junhwe trying to ask her to be his girlfriend?

"Junhwe?" Nayeon asks, suddenly dry. Her chips suddenly don't look so tempting anymore, and the smile is wiped off her lips, instead being replaced by a serious thin line. "Is this going where I think i

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter