The Origin of Qri

Masquerade ~ The Guardians

Joseon, 1627 AD

 

 

“Concentrate. Keep your focus completely on your spell casting.” The voice of her mentor reverberated in her ears. The flames grew hot and fierce in front of her as they expanded and formed into the shape she directed them in.

 

The cool wind of the spring morning did little to cool the heat of her fire spell. Jihyun was not only the verge of graduating but also about to master a spell she herself had created. If she could master it once and for all, Jihyun would assure herself a position of professor or even mentor within the ranks of the prestigious mage school she attended.

 

The Joseon Institution of Magical Arts was a school created in 1474 by King Seongjong. A small group of magical users had aided the would be king before he took the throne when he happened to come across some trouble from bandits. Once he took the throne, he created the secret school so that his friends, known as mages, could teach and train future mages that would eventually help the great nation of Joseon in war if it ever happened to arise.

 

In its 153 years, the school had recruited people with the best potential in arcane magic to join its ranks. By now, the school was less involved with the battles or wars Joseon had, and more about keeping the use of arcane magic alive. The art of magic had gradually lost its use after the War of the Ancients and only a small part of the human population had been using it. The school had the biggest concentration of mages in the world as far as they knew.

 

Mages had hundreds of books written about spells, spell casting, fire magic, ice magic, arcane magic, and hundreds of other topics relating to magic. It was essential for all students to learn the basics and how to use magic for battles, but even after all these years of practice, it had been a long time since anyone had created any new spells.

 

This all changed when Lee Jihyun entered the school. Labeled a prodigy in arcane magic by her father, Archmage Lee Namil, at the young age of 19 Jihyun was about to perfect a new spell she had invented all on her own. Jihyun had first used the spell in a spontaneous moment five years ago during a training session with another student. It had only lasted a few seconds and had injured both Jihyun and her opponent. Impressed by the spell, her mentor had named the spell Dragon's Breath and for the next five years Jihyun had worked hard to perfect the spell.

 

The dragon head made completely out flames maintained its shaped and stood still. Its flames danced and burned brightly creating heat waves around it and distorting its surroundings. Jihyun's mentor observed the beauty of the flame dragon head for a moment and then clicked her fingers.

 

Jihyun extended her fingers until they were straight and the dragon head opened its mouth releasing a fiery breath in front of it. Jihyun moved her arms from left to right and back expanding the area of the breath. She closed her fingers forming a fist and the dragon's head dissipated into little puffs of smoke.

 

A huge smile spread across Jihyun's face after successfully maintaining the spell for the first time. The sound of a congratulatory clap made her turn to face her mentor but her mentor was looking at the person behind Jihyun. The young apprentice turned around to see her father clapping proudly. Jihyun and her mentor bowed gracefully before the Archmage.

 

“Your work has finally paid off Jihyun. I'm very proud of you.” He walked over to his daughter and embraced her tightly.

 

“Thank you.” Jihyun replied while remaining in her father's embrace.

 

“Thank you as well Jaekyung. Your mentorship for these past ten years has really proved to everyone that Jihyun is a prodigy. The title of apprentice will no longer fit you after graduation Jihyun.” He smiled at his daughter and lovingly cupped her left cheek.

 

“Thank you dad.” Jaekyung replied and bowed before the Archmage once more.

 

He offered both of them a bow and then walked away to return to his duties. This moment had actually been quite rare since Archmage Namil hardly showed any favoritism or love to his daughter while they were on the school grounds. It wasn't because he didn't love Jihyun, of course he did and he was always following her progress, but as an Archmage of the school it was his duty to treat all the apprentices the same.

 

“If your father could, he would have shouted about this to the entire world. He's really proud of you.” Jaekyung told Jihyun after the Archmage had disappeared from view.

 

Jihyun looked around to make sure no one was watching and stepped closer to Jaekyung. She wrapped her arms around the taller woman's waist and rested her head on Jaekyung's chest. “I know you're proud too.”

 

Jaekyung smirked and gently pried Jihyun off of her. “Of course I am. I've been your mentor for ten years now. It's about time my hard work with you paid off.”

 

Jihyun kept her hands interlocked with Jaekyung's and smiled deviously at the taller woman. “I know something else we can work hard on.”

 

Jaekyung let out an amused chuckle. “I would like that very much but unfortunately I can't right now. The council requested my presence after your morning training. I'll see you later okay?”

 

Jihyun nodded in understanding. “I'll be in my room.”

 

Jaekyung gave Jihyun's hands a light squeeze and opened a portal to take her leave for the councils' meeting area.

 

 

 

 

 

“Mentor Kang Jaekyung, thank you for greeting us with your presence. Archmage Lee Namil informs us that your apprentice has mastered the so called 'Dragon's Breath'.” The Head Archmage addressed Jaekyung when she appeared before the council.

 

The five men and single woman that made up the council looked expectantly at Jaekyung who bowed before all six of them. “Yes sir. Apprentice Lee Jihyun is a true prodigy. I could not be any more prouder of taking such a talented mage under my guidance.”

 

“You have been a great example of a prodigy yourself. To have only been an apprentice for five years and a mentor for ten is a grand feat in its own right, but the reason we summoned you here is for something else.” The Head Archmage explained.

 

Another one of the Archmages spoke up. “King Injo contacted us regarding your service during the Jurchen invasion a few months ago. He was impressed not only by your skills but by your diplomatic prowess. He has requested your presence as soon as your apprentice graduates.”

 

Jaekyung was shocked at this information. Her aid to the King had been by accident. Several of the professors and herself had taken the apprentices out for a field training excursion. News of the invasion had not reached the school, so in an unlucky moment, the group ran into the group that was escorting the King out of the capital to safety.

 

Unfortunately for the King, he had been followed by several Jurchen assassins and Jaekyung, fearing for everyone's safety, teleported all the mages back to the school except herself. Alongside the King's men, Jaekyung helped defeat the assassins and because of this King Injo had asked her to join his group and him down south. In the few days she spent with the King and his men, she had a chance to talk to the man and express her views regarding the diplomatic ideas the King and his council had.

 

“I beg your pardon council, but I thought it was forbidden for us to be part of the King's court. Politics is not a realm we deal in. I know-” Jaekyung was suddenly cut off by the Head Archmage.

 

“The King only requests your presence. He is aware that mages are not allowed to join in his politics. We have overlooked the fact that you discussed such topics with him because he is a supporter of our school. You must follow his order and ours to meet with him.”

 

Jaekyung nodded in agreement and bowed before the council then took her leave.

 

 

 

 

“Oh it feels so nice to be back home! Isn't it so Tokki?” Boram scratched underneath her pet's beak and the crested serpent eagle closed her eyes at the sensation. The pet eagle was sitting on Boram's shoulder as the short hunter walked in between Eunjung and Soyeon.

 

“A lot has happened since we left, but Joseon as they call it now is still as beautiful as I remember.” Soyeon commented while studying the new form of writing created years ago by King Sejong The Great.

 

“There is a lot of turmoil going on though. It was invaded not too long ago by the Jurchens. I hope we don't take very long to find the next Guardian.” Eunjung told the two Guardians as she picked up her pace. They were walking through a forest trail that was outside the town they had arrived at.

 

They had spent the past few hundred years outside of Joseon traveling around east and southeast Asia. They had seen kingdoms rise and fall. Chosen Ones found and left behind when they gave up their powers, but when it came to finding another Guardian, they had been unsuccessful. In part, God had not given Eunjung any clues on where one might be located until recently.

 

He mentioned that perhaps back home in Joseon they would find someone but it all depended on what path that person chose. The mention of a recent invasion had irked Eunjung because they had spent the past five years fighting unwanted battles in Japan. It had all been to help Hyomin find and get in contact with a fabled Miyamoto Musashi.

 

His prowess with dual wielding katanas and an undefeated run of duels had caught the interest of the warrior. Hyomin was dead set on becoming a student of the samurai and finally, after searching for so long, Hyomin found Miyamoto Musashi during one of the samurai's travels. At this time God had contacted Eunjung about the possible new Guardian, so Hyomin was left with a choice to go back to Joseon with the rest of the Guardians or stay in Japan to convince Musashi to train her. She had chosen the latter, so the Guardians currently found themselves down to three members.

 

“So you're sure God didn't give you any more clues? This feels like searching for a needle in a haystack if that's the case.”

 

“No other clues Boram. I guess we might as well just get reacquainted with our birthplace.” Eunjung responded. The new Guardian needed to make their appearance soon or the three Guardians would be wandering Joseon for a long time.

 

 

 

 

Jihyun was playing with her conjuring spells when she heard the door to her room open and close. The apprentice turned around to see her mentor lock the door. The cup of tea Jihyun had conjured disappeared from her hands as she happily skipped over to Jaekyung with a smile on her face. Jaekyung smirked at Jihyun and pulled the young woman into her embrace.

 

“Jaekyung-” Jihyun's voice was stifled by the searing kiss Jaekyung placed on her lips. The older woman didn't want to talk at the moment. She was there to take up on the offer Jihyun had made earlier.

 

Jaekyung began to push Jihyun backwards until she had the younger woman laid out on her bed. Their passionate make out turned into more as Jaekyung's hands began to roam down Jihyun's body. The events that happened next would not be remembered until Jihyun woke up from her post coital nap.

 

Jihyun opened her eyes to the sight of Jaekyung getting dressed. The taller woman was standing up, her undergarments already covered the lower part of her body but the top was still exposed as Jaekyung busied herself with putting it on, Jihyun's eyes wandered at the slim yet curvy body of her lover. Jaekyung's long black hair moved swiftly alongside the woman's movements.

 

Jaekyung put her robes on and turned around to find Jihyun staring at her. A purple hue seemed to shimmer in Jaekyung's eyes as she looked down at the younger woman and Jihyun seemed curious for a moment.

 

“Your eyes...”

 

“What about them?” Jaekyung asked, amused.

 

“They're purple.”

 

Jaekyung chuckled. “Arcane magic has taken over my eyes now it seems.”

 

Jihyun giggled and pulled Jaekyung down to sit on her bed. “What did the council want to talk to you about?”

 

Jaekyung sighed knowing that Jihyun would not like what she was about to hear. “King Injo has requested a meeting with me after your graduation.”

 

“What? Why!” Jihyun shouted and sat up.

 

“He was impressed by me during the invasion when I helped him.” Jaekyung explained as she moved the bed covers to cover an exposed Jihyun.

 

“He was probably impressed by your beauty. I don't want you to see him!”

 

“No, that's not-”

 

“Yes it is!”

 

“Jihyun no!” Jaekyung stood up from the bed and pulled her hair away from her face. “When I was with his group, I protected him like his men did and I discussed politics with him. King Injo is weak and unsure of himself and his rule. For personal reasons, I've always been interested in politics. I had an opportunity and I took it. I guess he really liked what I had to say.”

 

“That better be it. I don't think I could take him liking you for any other reason.” Jihyun pouted and laid back down on her bed. She was jealous because she wanted to keep Jaekyung all to herself, but the real reason why the mention of the King bothered her was due to Jihyun's mother.

 

Jaekyung chuckled and moved to sit back on the bed. She leaned over Jihyun and gave her a reassuring kiss. “Don't worry too much about it okay?”

 

Jihyun nodded and cupped her lover's face to pull her back down for another kiss.

 

 

 

 

Two weeks later Jihyun found herself in her room with her mother getting ready for the graduation. She and several other apprentices were graduating today. Everyone who attended the school would be attending the graduation, along with the family members of the graduates. Others making their presence were nobles from around the country and King Injo himself.

 

The graduation ceremony had been beautiful as always with all the graduates displaying their best spell for all the guests too see. Jihyun had not only impressed by graduating as the top apprentice but also with her Dragon's Breath spell. After this graduation, the spell would be going into the books of magic and she would be an important part of the history of the school and magic itself.

 

After the ceremony, the graduates and family members were all invited to a dinner with the professors, mentors, Archmages and the King himself. Jihyun's mother had insisted that Jihyun dress in the new robes she had brought for her. Her mother had them made specifically for the event.

 

“Jihyun, today is your chance to finally impress the King. You're going to be the most beautiful woman at the dinner.” Jihyun's mother was practically squealing with excitement of her daughter finally meeting the King.

 

Jihyun rolled her eyes and stepped away from her mother. “I don't want to impress him. I don't want to live your dream mother.”

 

The older woman grabbed her daughter's shoulders tightly and sat her back down on the chair she was doing Jihyun's hair on. “You deserve to be the wife of the most powerful man in the country. King Injo will treat you like the Queen you will become. Jihyun, I know your father wanted you to learn magic like him, but sweetie you also need to start thinking about marriage. Don't be a fool like me and let an opportunity like this pass you by!”

 

Jihyun rolled her eyes once more and let out a frustrated sigh. Her mother had dated King Injo's uncle when she was young, but when King Gwanghaegun had taken the throne he had tossed Jihyun's mother aside. The woman had ended up with Jihyun's father in the end, but since Jihyun had been born, the woman had spent all her life trying to plan Jihyun's marriage to whoever would be King when she was older.

 

Jihyun on the other hand wanted nothing to do with her mother's dreams. Thanks to her father she had been able to attend the institution. Becoming a mage in her own right had been one of Jihyun's dreams growing up. Now that she was 19, and was now an official mage, she wanted to become a mentor like Jaekyung and eventually an Archmage like her father. She had found love with Jaekyung as well, who was her first love, and wanted to spend her life with the older mage. Their eleven year age difference didn't matter to Jihyun.

 

“No mother! I already told you I don't want to marry the King! I'm in love with someone else!” Jihyun stood up from her chair as she screamed at her mother.

 

The woman was taken aback by her daughter's words and took a seat on the chair. “What...? What do you mean? Who?”

 

“It doesn't matter who it is! You wouldn't approve of them anyways!”

 

“Jihyun!”

 

“No mother!” Jihyun slid the door of her room open and stormed out leaving her mother behind.

 

 

 

 

Jaekyung was walking down the hallway that lead to Jihyun's room when the young mage bumped into her. Noticing that it was Jaekyung who she had bumped into, Jihyun wrapped her arms tightly around the older woman's waist and cried into her chest. Jihyun was clearly upset, so Jaekyung just held her tightly and waited for Jihyun to compose herself.

 

“Jihyun!” Jaekyung heard someone call out the younger woman's name and looked up to see Jihyun's mother walking towards them.

 

The older woman saw the embrace between the two mages and it clicked in her head. This woman was the person Jihyun was in love with. Jihyun's own mentor who happened to be a woman. The disgust grew in the older woman's belly and she felt bile rise up to . How could her only daughter be in love with another woman. It was beyond imagination and Jihyun's mother had no words for it, just disgust for both of them.

 

Jaekyung stared the older woman down as she pulled Jihyun further into her. Jihyun's mother turned to look anywhere but the two of them and walked away from both women. When the older woman finally rounded the corner, Jaekyung gently pushed Jihyun away.

 

“I don't know what happened between you two, but I think your mom just realized we're more than mentor and apprentice.” Jaekyung explained while wiping away Jihyun's tears.

 

Jihyun started chuckling until it turned into light laughter. “I don't care.”

 

Jaekyung chuckled along and pulled Jihyun into a loving hug. After composing herself, Jihyun and Jaekyung attended the dinner with the King as so not to seem disrespectful. Since the relationship between Jihyun's father and her mother wasn't in the best of terms as of late, the man did not question why his wife was missing. Part of him was glad though, her crazy idea of having Jihyun marry the King was ridiculous. His daughter had all the right in the world to choose her own life and path.

 

 

 

 

 

Joseon, 1628 AD

 

 

The Guardians had been traveling across Joseon for months now and they still had not found the new Guardian they were looking for. Eunjung had not spoken to God in all those months either so they still had no clue as to who they were looking for.

 

In their travels, the Guardians had learned that a lot of things had changed in this new era. The customs were different and what was art and literature had flourished. Soyeon had been impressed with the new system of writing and reading. In the past, only she and Hyomin had been able to read and write, which was in part due to their noble upbringing; but now that she had mastered the Hangeul writing system she was determined to teach both Boram and Eunjung.

 

Boram was excited to learn as she had never had the chance before. Eunjung wasn't as enthused but she learned anyways. It would benefit her in the end anyways. Odd jobs had earned them money, as well as Boram hunting, and Soyeon serving as a doctor in many occasions. These things weren't much different from what they had done in the past.

 

All the traveling and zero success regarding the new Guardian did have them weary at this point now. They had left one of the bigger cities in the central part of Joseon a few days ago and now they were traveling through another forest. Aside from the random wild animal sightings there was not much else to see here.

 

“Ugh, I'm so tired. Can we stop and rest here please.” Boram whined and dropped her backpack. Tokki, who had been sitting on the short hunter's shoulder flew up after being startled and circled above Boram.

 

“I guess it wouldn't hurt. I am a bit hungry.” Soyeon replied and set her bag down as well.

 

“I'll start the fire.” Eunjung said and brought her own bag around to grab some of the firewood she kept in there. She began setting the wood down on the ground when suddenly a loud whirring sound was heard.

 

The Guardians looked around trying to figure out what it was but it took Tokki's screech alerted them to look up. A giant molten rock was flying down towards them, and as it hit the ground, the Guardians jumped away and took cover behind the surrounding trees.

 

“What the heck was that?!” Boram shouted.

 

“I don't know!” Soyeon replied.

 

“Whatever it was, it started the fire for us.” Eunjung said as she stepped away from the tree and looked at the fire wood burning away around a flame covered rock. Soyeon and Boram got near the fire and got a closer look like Eunjung was already doing.

 

“It came from that direction. I'm going to see who shot this thing here.” Eunjung pointed in the direction the molten rock came from. She started her trek in the direction and Soyeon and Boram followed their leader.

 

 

 

 

After graduating, Jihyun had taken a position of a professor instead of becoming a mentor. At the moment, it was more rewarding for her to train new apprentices in the basics of magic than to take one person to train like Jaekyung had done with her. A slight chuckle escaped her lips when one of her apprentices lost control of a fireball and sent the thing flying into the forest behind the school. She was going to focus on teaching him how to control it at a later time.

 

At the moment she had him casting a different spell on a training dummy, while the rest continued practicing their fireball spell. In the past ten months of taking her position, Jihyun had not spoken to her mother and her relationship with Jaekyung was going steady. The older mage had not taken a new apprentice to mentor seeing as she was still unsure of whether or not to join the King's court.

 

Doing so would mean Jaekyung had to give up everything she had earned in the institution. She would be stripped of her title and merits because she could not be called a mage or mentor if she gave it up for politics. Currently, Jaekyung had been watching the training session Jihyun had her apprentices doing but had maintained her distance from the lesson.

“Jaekyung?”

 

Jaekyung turned around to see one of her fellow mentors standing behind her. “Yes?”

 

The mage, who was male and much taller than Jaekyung stepped aside to reveal a shorter man behind him. Even with the hat on his head and the stubble he was growing above his upper lip and chin, Jaekyung recognized her best friend immediately.

 

“Woongie!”

 

“Kyungie!”

 

All formalities were lost between the two and they practically jumped into each others arms in excitement. It had been almost three years since they had seen each other so their embrace lasted longer than it normally would have.

 

“What are you doing here? Why didn't you let me know you were coming beforehand?” Jaekyung asked the man after they finally separated.

 

“Because I was sent here this morning with no way of letting you know.” Jiwoong replied with a smirk on his face.

 

“Huh?”

 

“Yeonhee is back.” Jiwoong grinned and Jaekyung's jaw dropped.

 

 

 

 

Jihyun had been observing her students training diligently until she heard some commotion behind her where she knew Jaekyung had been observing her class. The young mage turned around only to spot her girlfriend hugging a man she had never seen before. Curious as to who he was, Jihyun instructed her class to keep practicing and walked towards Jaekyung and the mysterious man. She ended up catching the last part of their conversation.

 

“Yeonhee is back.”

 

“When did she return?!”

 

“This morning. She wanted to know where you were and when I told her, she demanded I come find you. She wants to see you.”

 

Jihyun was extremely curious about their conversation and who this Yeonhee woman was, but she did not get a chance to move closer to the two because the sound of a battle drew her attention back to her students.

 

 

 

 

The direction of the fireball that had landed in their would be camping site had led the three Guardians to the Institution of Magical Arts. The three hid behind the bushes that separated the training grounds and the forest that surrounded the school. They observed the apprentices casting their fire spells and understood why a fireball had suddenly appeared out of nowhere.

 

While the spells looked beautiful and intriguing, it was obvious these people were novices. Boram's pet eagle had tried to sit on Boram's shoulder multiple times but the hunter's current stance didn't allow the bird to perch. Annoyed, it started flying above the Guardians and finally flew into the territory of the mage school. One of the students noticed it and decided that shooting down the eagle was a better target than the dummy in front of him.

 

The apprentice began casting his fireball and shot it at the eagle. Unfortunately for him, his aim was bad and the eagle flew faster than the fireball could fly through the air. Shocked and furious that one of those imbeciles would try to kill her pet, Boram grabbed her bow and arrows and shot the apprentice in the arm. The guy grunted in pain and fell down grasping his injured right arm.

 

The rest of the apprentices rushed to their friend to check on him and when he mentioned what happened, the students turned to face the direction of from where the arrow had flown. Without Jihyun there, the apprentices decided to take matters into their own hands and began throwing their fireballs in the direction their comrade had mentioned.

 

“Boram!” Eunjung gritted through her teeth as she dodged the first fireball that flew towards them.

 

“He tried to kill Tokki!” Boram defended and finally stood up to fire back at the mages with her arrows. She revealed their hiding spot and suddenly all the apprentices were attacking the Guardians.

 

Soyeon cast her shield for protection and began striking their opponents back. Eunjung began running towards them, using her sword to block their spells and once she was near them, she swung the mighty sword at the group that had concentrated their attacks on her. Luckily for the students, they all ducked and rolled out of the way to avoid the massive sword.

 

Jihyun arrived back at the training grounds to find several of her students injured or doubling over in pain. The three assailants were still attacking so she quickly jumped into action. First she fired several arcane missiles at the hunter, knocking out her arrows and striking Boram directly. She then turned to the warrior with the giant sword and blinked next to Eunjung. Jihyun froze Eunjung's feet and then used a blast of cold air to slow the warrior down.

 

The insanely cold air slowed Eunjung enough to allow Jihyun to blink away from her before Eunjung could swing at her. Jihyun turned towards the last of the assailants and noticed that this particular woman had some kind of magical powers she had not seen before.

 

“Who are you?” Jihyun asked Soyeon as she stared the priestess down. Soyeon didn't get a chance to answer because Jihyun was suddenly struck by Tokki who was protecting her master. The eagle rammed it's claws into the back of Jihyun's neck and pecked the top of her head with its beak.

 

Jihyun screamed as the eagle continued to attack her and the pain stopped her from casting anything to defend herself. Jihyun's students had moved to help those who were hurt and but feared attacking or helping their professor because of the assailants. A fireball suddenly struck the eagle attacking Jihyun, followed by an attack that seemed like a fireball and frost bolt had combined to form one attack. This one struck Boram, who had just gotten up from Jihyun's previous attack, knocking her down once more. Eunjung had just broken out of the ice around her body that had formed from Jihyun's previous attack when a massive fireball, five times the size of a regular one, struck her chest and sent her flying backwards a few feet.

 

Finally the one who had launched all these attacked blinked in front of Soyeon, and with purple hued eyes burning brightly, Jaekyung unleashed a powerful dome of arcane magic from her body that burned through Soyeon's shield and sent the priestess flying backwards as well. Jaekyung's hands started glowing blue and an extremely cold and powerful wind started blowing bringing with it snow and ice that burned.

 

“Surrender now or I will kill you!” The powerful mage shouted at the Guardians who tried to protect themselves from the blizzard.

 

“What is going on here?!” The voice of Archmage Namil broke Jaekyung's concentration on her spell and the blizzard suddenly ceased.

 

Jihyun kept her pressure of her hand on the back of her neck as she replied to her father. “They attacked my students.”

 

Jaekyung moved over to Jihyun and helped apply pressure to her wound. Jiwoong, who had been talking to Jaekyung not long ago stood the farthest away from the area just watching everything that had happened.

 

“Your students attacked my pet!” Boram shouted as she limped over to Tokki who was lying on the ground. Half of the eagles body had been severely burned by the fireball and by now it had succumbed to her wounds. Tears rolled down Boram's eyes as she cradled her beloved pet in her arms.

 

Eunjung had an arm around her midsection while the other dragged her sword on the ground as she approached Boram. Soyeon cast a healing spell on herself and then moved to get closer to Boram. She cast a healing spell on both Eunjung and Boram bringing gasps to the mages around them.

 

“It wasn't our intention to start a fight, but your students actions angered our friend. We were only trying to defend her and ourselves despite her stupid move.” Soyeon defended and moved closer to Jihyun.

 

“Don't come near her.” Jaekyung stared Soyeon down.

 

“I can heal her.” Soyeon replied.

 

Archmage Namil moved closer to his daughter. “Heal her...? Wait, I've heard of this magic before. The Light?”

 

Soyeon looked up at the older man and nodded. “Yes, the Light is my magic source.”

 

The Archmage smiled and let out a sigh. “Please, heal her and her students. I apologize for the students foolish behavior.”

 

“Dad?”

 

“Sir!”

 

Soyeon ignored the two women's pleas at the Archmage and began praying. The Light completely encased Soyeon's body and in just moments the Light touched Jihyun and her students healing everyone who had been injured completely. The pain and weariness in their bodies went away and the feeling of serenity surrounded them.

 

Jihyun stood up and looked at Soyeon with a shocked expression. This woman's magic was incredible. Soyeon offered a slight bow at Jihyun and turned to Boram who was still crying over the death of Tokki.

 

Eunjung stood up and faced Jaekyung who suddenly made eye contact with the Guardian. Eunjung remained expressionless, but something about Jaekyung rubbed her the wrong way. She didn't know what it was though.

 

“Apologies still don't change the fact that my friend's pet was killed.” Eunjung said still keeping her eyes on Jaekyung.

 

“Battles always have consequences.” Jaekyung replied.

 

“Jaekyung!” Archmage Namil scolded.

 

“My apologies sir. I will take my leave, I have a guest waiting on me. Jihyun, I will see you later.” Jaekyung gave Jihyun's shoulders a reassuring squeeze before stepping away from her and heading in the direction of Jiwoong who was patiently waiting for her.

 

“Apprentices, please head to your rooms. Professor Jihyun will continue her lesson with you all tomorrow.” The students bowed at the Archmage and took their leave.

 

He then turned to the Guardians. “I am Archmage Lee Namil. This is my daughter and one of the professors here at the Joseon Institution of Magical Arts, Lee Jihyun.”

 

Eunjung and Soyeon returned the bows that the Archmage and his daughter gave them.

 

“I'm Eunjung.”

 

“Soyeon.”

 

Boram stood up with Tokki in her arms and turned to head back into the forest. Eunjung and Soyeon understood the hunter was upset and needed time to mourn the loss of her pet. This was something Boram was used to, since her first pet Sungah, the hunter had had several hundred. As a Guardian she was going to outlive any animal she tamed, but still, the loss of a pet always hit her hard.

 

“Boram is her name. She needs time alone.” Soyeon explained after Boram disappeared into the forest.

 

“Understandable. Please, let me make up this unfortunate event. I would love to speak with you Soyeon regarding your powers.” The Archmage explained and motioned for the Guardians to follow him. Soyeon turned to Eunjung who nodded her head and the two Guardians followed the Archmage.

 

“Jihyun get some rest.” He told his daughter as he walked away with the Guardians following behind him.

 

Jihyun let out a sigh. This entire ordeal had been too crazy and passed by too fast. Her students were going to hear from her the next day. They had disobeyed what she had instructed them to do and in turn caused turmoil that didn't even need to happen. Her thoughts went back to Jaekyung and her friend. Jihyun needed to find out what they were talking about.

 

 

 

 

Jaekyung and Jiwoong had walked away from the training grounds and had made their way towards the gates of the school. One of the corners there was covered by cherry blossom trees and it was the perfect spot to speak privately in.

 

Jiwoong reached for a blossom and pulled it off the tree to smell its fragrance. “That escalated rather quickly, but your skills are impressive. I never expected you to grow that skilled.”

 

“Rude. How dare you question my ability.” Jaekyung chuckled.

 

Jiwoong grinned. “Anyways, regarding Yeonhee, with her return and your obvious mastery of magic, you don't have to remain here anymore.”

 

“I know. I'm glad she's back as well. I can finally join the King's court like I told you in the letter I sent.”

 

“So what do I tell her?”

 

“Tell Yeonhee I will be there tomorrow. After seeing her, I will return to the school, give up everything here, then I will pay a visit to the King. I'm sure his offer is still on the table.” A smug look on Jaekyung's face turned into a grin. Jiwoong grinned as well and then said his goodbyes to his best friend. Everyone back home would be happy to hear the great news about Jaekyung's future.

 

 

 

 

Jihyun was lying on her bed trying to get some rest when Jaekyung entered the room and closed the door behind her. The younger mage wasn't able to rest thinking about what she had heard Jaekyung and her friend talking about, but now that the older woman was standing before her, Jihyun let out a sigh. Finally she would be able to ask Jaekyung what her friend's visit was about.

 

“How are you feeling?” Jaekyung asked.

 

“Who is Yeonhee?” Jihyun cut straight to the point and Jaekyung was taken aback for a moment.

 

“Excuse me?”

 

“I'm sorry. I saw you hugging that guy and I got curious. When I tried to approach the two of you, I heard him tell you Yeonhee was back. Who is she?” Jihyun sat up and waited expectantly for her lover to answer.

 

“Yeonhee is a childhood friend. She is the one who convinced me to come to this school and perfect my talents. She was also going to a school away from home when I was getting ready to attend here. We haven't seen each other in almost 16 years.” Jaekyung explained.

 

“So are you going to go see her?” Jihyun asked.

 

Jaekyung could hear the disappointment in the younger woman's voice but she had to be honest about this. “Yes I am. I'm leaving tomorrow morning, but I will be back the following day.”

 

“Oh...”

 

“Jihyun, I can tell you're upset. Please, let me make you feel better.”

 

Jihyun looked up at Jaekyung and nodded. She couldn't resist the older woman no matter what. She let herself be taken by the lust and love she felt for the older mage not knowing that this would be the last time they would be together like this. Jaekyung was deceiving her, but it would take the next few days for Jihyun to realize this.

 

The following day, Jaekyung left to head back home. Meanwhile, Jihyun's father had welcomed the Guardians to stay at the school for as long as they wanted. It was his way to make it up to them especially Boram who had returned and had a chance to properly introduce herself. The Archmage's talk with Soyeon had left a good impression of the three women on him.

 

Jihyun also had a chance to talk to the Guardians that day. Despite their bad start, they had progressed after talking and in the end, when Jihyun wasn't there, Eunjung expressed the good feeling she had about Jihyun. It was possible that this mage could be the person they were looking for.

 

Jaekyung had promised Jihyun she would return the day after she had left, but Jaekyung didn't return until a week later. The younger mage was really upset with the older woman for being gone longer than promised. Jaekyung had also surprised Jihyun and the Council of Six with the news that she was giving up her titles and merits in the school to join the King's court. Jaekyung informed the council that she had already spoken to the King and he was waiting for her to return from the school.

 

After the Council stripped Jaekyung of her titles and merits, and deleted her name from the history of the school, Jaekyung went to her room to gather her personal items. There, Jihyun confronted her for the first time since the woman had made her return.

 

“Why did you do it?! Why are you joining the King's court?!” Jihyun yelled at the older woman with tears welling up in her eyes.

 

“Because it's what I've been wanting to do! You knew about this already. I don't know why you're so upset.” Jaekyung replied as she continued to put her items in her bag.

 

“What about us? Are you giving us up too? Because I won't be able to see you anymore!” Jihyun was crying and screaming at her lover now. “I love you!”

 

“Jihyun...”

 

“Is it Yeonhee? Did that witch convince you to do this?!”

 

“Don't talk about her like that! You don't even know her! You know nothing about her!”

 

“Do you love her?”

 

Jaekyung chuckled and turned to look at Jihyun finally. “Jihyun, I understand that this is not what you wanted, but it is what I want. I had fun being your mentor and had more fun being your lover, but we have to break this up now. I'm sorry.”

 

Jihyun started crying louder now and fell to her knees. “Don't leave me please.”

 

“I'm sorry Jihyun.” Jaekyung closed her bag and moved around Jihyun's crying form to leave her room. Jihyun wasn't willing to let her go so willingly, so she wrapped her arms around Jaekyung's waist.

 

Jaekyung stopped and brought a hand to cover her face. She let out a frustrated sigh as Jihyun continued to beg her not to leave. It was hurting her more than she thought it would to leave the woman she had taken as an apprentice and lover for the past 6 years. Jaekyung knew Jihyun would not let her go, so she had to do something that would finally make Jihyun give up.

 

“Jihyun, the truth about Yeonhee is that I do love her. I've always loved her and now that she's back, she will be by my side as I serve in the King's court.” Jaekyung felt Jihyun's arms finally fall away from her waist and turned around to look at Jihyun.

 

The young mage was crying her heart out on the floor. Breaking her heart was the hardest thing Jaekyung had done in a while, but she couldn't stay there and look at Jihyun anymore. She turned around and headed out of the room and out of Jihyun's life.

 

 

 

 

Joseon, 1637 AD

 

 

Nine years had passed since the Guardians had arrived at the Joseon Institution of Magical Arts. In all this time, they still had not found the Guardian that had brought them back to Joseon in the first place. While Eunjung at first believed that Jihyun could have been the one, by now she had given up on that idea. Jihyun had flourished as a mage, a professor, and a mentor but had not shown any signs of the Light embracing her.

 

Jihyun had been a complete mess after Jaekyung had left and broken her heart. Her father had grown worried about her, so eventually Jihyun confessed to him what the true nature of her relationship with Jaekyung had been. Surprisingly, her father had been very supportive and with his love, support, guidance and time, Jihyun had finally gotten herself back together and got over her broken heart. The hard work she had put in these nine years had the Council considering of giving Jihyun the title of Archmage.

 

As for the Guardians, they had found home in the school and purpose. It had never occurred to them that their individual gifts could serve to train others to do what they did. If a Guardian would not come to them, they would make their own. And with that philosophy, the three Guardians began recruiting people to join their cause. Eunjung recruited warriors, Boram found those with hunting skills and trained them, and Soyeon found that some of the mage apprentices were adept to the Light. It wasn't her intention to take them from the school, but if they could use the Light, they were better off becoming priests than mages.

 

And as the years went by, all three also honed their own skills. They created new moves, spells, attacks, and strategies. The number of Guardians grew and the three of them were seen as the Elite Three by their students. The system of the mage school is what helped them create this small group of Guardians.

 

By the end of 1637, the nation of Joseon was in utter turmoil. King Injo had created enemies left and right, trade had been affected, and to make it worse, the Jurchens who now were known as the Manchurians had invaded the country again. Several of King Injo's men had betrayed him and joined the Manchurians to help them with the invasion of Joseon.

 

It was a cold morning, when a messenger arrived at the school with a letter written by the King himself. In this letter, the King requested that all the mages of the school join his army to defend the great nation of Joseon. The letter ended with the imperial stamp and that meant that to disobey the King's request would result in the mages being labeled traitors.

 

The council had no choice but to agree and ask everyone to prepare for battle. Before leaving, the Council of Six had agreed to leave someone behind to watch over the new apprentices and the school itself. They could not leave the school unguarded so they voted to leave Jihyun in charge. As Jihyun's father, it was Archmage Namil's duty to inform his daughter.

 

The sudden commotion in the school had Jihyun and the Guardians wondering what was going on. Archmage Namil found his daughter outside the hallway that lead to the Council's meeting room. Jihyun let out a sigh of relief when she saw her father; he would have an answer to all her questions.

 

“Dad, what is going on? Everyone seems to be on high alert.” Jihyun asked her father and he quickly pulled her into a tight hug.

 

“The country is under invasion. The King has asked all of us to join his army. We're leaving this afternoon.” The man noticed his daughter wanted to ask more questions but he continued, “The council has decided to leave you here in charge of the school and the new apprentices that just joined. The Guardians are to stay here too.”

 

“What? Dad, you can't go fight some war. I thought it wasn't our place anymore?” The look of worry was obvious on Jihyun's face.

 

“It is an imperial order that we cannot disobey. Please just do what the council is asking of you and take charge while we're gone. Protect the school at all costs as well if by any chance it comes under attack. I will comeback, I promise.” Archmage Namil pulled his daughter into another tight embrace. He knew that if Jihyun did well while they were gone, she would gain the title of Archmage when they returned.

 

“I understand dad. Please be careful and return safely. I'll miss you.”

 

“I'll miss you too Jihyun. I love you.”

 

“I love you too dad.” They embraced a little while longer, but eventually the Archmage let go of his daughter and said his goodbyes.

 

 

 

 

Two weeks had gone by since the mages had left the school to join the King's army. Jihyun had not held any classes since and the only ones training were the Guardians. There had been no updates or messages received from the mages since they had left, but news about the Manchurian invasion indicated that they had a huge army and were destroying everything in their path.

 

Winter seemed to have come early this year because the cold had not lifted in the two weeks that had passed. Jihyun found that the cool chill of the morning winds helped her keep calm so she would always go out for a morning walk while everyone else stayed inside the school enjoying their breakfast. Jihyun sat in one of the benches outside and let the cold wind hit her face. There was a slight burn from the chill but Jihyun enjoyed it.

 

The sound of birds screeching and flying away from the surrounding trees alerted the mage and she opened her eyes to see where the noise was coming from. North of where she was sitting, Jihyun saw the giant mass of birds flying away and the sound that hit her ears next sounded like thunder. The skies had a few clouds in them but none of them looked like a storm. The thundering sound grew louder as the seconds went by and Jihyun stood up from her seat.

 

From the west came a whirring sound and then about five rocks came flying down towards the school. Jihyun's eyes grew wide as one of the rocks struck part of the school knocking part of the roof and wall down. The other rocks landed on the ground and Jihyun found herself blinking away from one that landed very near to where she had been. The unmistakable sound of an army screaming into battle finally alerted Jihyun to the fact that they were under attack.

 

The thundering sound from the north was from the Manchurian cavalry riding towards the school. The rocks that came from the west were due to catapults that the enemy somehow managed to cross through the forest. The men behind the catapults started running towards Jihyun and the school. Their weapons were drawn and ready to strike at anyone who got in their way.

 

Jihyun began casting frost bolts to slow down the enemy rushing towards her, but by herself thus far, there was no way she was going to survive the onslaught. At the moment it was hundreds, maybe even thousands, of men heading towards her.

 

The sound of the catapults striking the school alerted everyone inside that there was something definitely wrong going on outside. The Guardians along with the mage apprentices all ran out of the school ready to fight whoever was attacking. The sight of everyone else gave Jihyun a sigh of relief for the moment. It was nice to have aid but then again, she didn't want anyone dying and the apprentices didn't really have much training so far.

 

The Guardians, from Eunjung to the newest recruit, were trained well and with no issue at all started fighting off the enemy. Eunjung and her warriors used their weapons to cut down any enemy soldier that tried to challenge them. Boram and her hunters concentrated on the cavalry running all around the school grounds on their horses. Waves of arrows were being launched striking both soldier and horses alike.

 

Soyeon and her priests started casting their holy spells against the enemy all while making sure their own comrades were healed of any wounds suffered. Gaining confidence with the Guardians aiding her, Jihyun stopped her attacks and blinked towards the apprentices. The scared students turned to their professor and looked to her for guidance.

 

“I know you're all new and don't have much training, but I want you to use whatever spell you're more comfortable using to attack these guys! Stay alert and follow my lead!” Jihyun shouted at the students and they all gave her a nod of understanding.

 

The mage apprentices began unleashing the spells they knew best and alongside Jihyun, they lit up the field with their magic. The mages and Guardians were turning the tide of the battle around and it seemed as though the enemy was weakening. What they didn't know was that a bigger group of Manchurian soldiers, being led by one of the men that had betrayed King Injo remained in the forest surrounding the school. They needed to destroy the school and everyone there in order to finally have an upper hand.

 

Mages were of great benefit to the Joseon army, but the Manchurians did not believe in the whole magic thing so the mages needed to disappear once and for all. The commander of the forces waiting in the forest allowed the ones defending the school to gain confidence by gaining the upper hand, but when it seemed as though the Manchurian forces were about to lose, he unleashed the rest of the men on the defenders.

 

Enemy soldiers suddenly appeared from all sides and headed for the mages and Guardians. The defenders were surprised to see that the battle wasn't over yet and stood their ground as they engaged the new arrivals. The new band of enemy soldiers were more skilled than the first and they out numbered the Guardians and mages greatly. No matter how many spells Jihyun unleashed, she couldn't stop all these men and she was starting to grow weary.

 

The Guardians continued their fight with the soldiers as well, but then those who were not as skilled began falling. Mage apprentices could not withstand the new attack and they too began falling to the enemy weapons. Jihyun grew angrier as more of her students began to fall. She had tried so hard to protect them but these evil men had no mercy and were striking down anyone in their path.

 

Jihyun needed a big powerful spell, and she needed it quickly. Taking all of the energy she had left, Jihyun cast her Dragon's Breath spell; but this time it was bigger and more powerful than any of the ones she had cast before. The powerful mage aimed the flaming dragon's head at the enemy headed for her students. The fire coming out of the dragon's head set many enemy soldiers on fire and the reach of it seemed to grow the more Jihyun focused on the spell.

 

Jihyun's body suddenly started to glow brightly with the Light. The more energy she used on her spell the bigger the glow grew blinding those around her and alerting the Guardians. Eunjung, Soyeon and Boram couldn't help but stare at the mage. Finally, the Guardian they had been looking for appeared and it had been Jihyun all long like Eunjung had predicted. Invigorated by the sight, the three Guardians returned to attacking the enemy soldiers.

 

The mage could feel another power encasing her body, giving strength and energy to her spell, so she started moving all around, trying to hit as many of the enemy soldiers as she could. The commander of the enemy soldiers was growing frustrated with the fact that none of his soldiers could strike the mage down. He ordered several of his men to fire arrows at the mage, and as his soldiers readied the bows and arrows to distract Jihyun, the commander kicked his horse. The animal took quick long strides towards the mage ready to allow its rider to attack the enemy.

 

Jihyun barely noticed the arrows flying towards her, but at the last second she turned her spell towards the arrows burning them to a crisp. They did break her concentration and the Dragon's Breath spell finally disappeared. The mage gasped in shock at the sight of the enemy commander only a few feet from her ready to strike.

 

His attack never landed on Jihyun as several arcane missiles blasted him off his horse. Sounds of more soldiers screaming into battle made Jihyun turn to face in the direction of where the arcane missiles came from. There, south of the school, was Jaekyung sitting on a horse looking at the battle in front of her. Hundreds of soldiers were running out of the forest; their uniforms in the shade of purple distinguished the soldiers from the enemy soldiers who had light brown uniforms.

 

Jaekyung kicked the sides of her horse and the animal started running into battle behind all of the soldiers commanded by its master. The Guardians were surprised to see these new soldiers as well, but grateful to get some help since they were outnumbered. The enemy commander stood up and swung his sword at Jaekyung when the woman approached him on her horse, but the mage parried his attack with a sword of her own.

 

Jaekyung's soldiers had moved in to protect both Jihyun and her remaining students so that allowed Jihyun to remain in her spot watching the woman she once loved toy around with the enemy commander. It was obvious Jaekyung had received weapons training in these past nine years. She was effective in blocking the man's attacks, but physically he was still stronger. So just when it seemed as though he was about to gain the upper hand on Jaekyung, the mage set the enemy commander on fire.

 

The spell she used was something Jihyun had never seen. The man rolled on the ground trying to douse the fire but Jaekyung continued to incinerate the man alive until she finally drew her sword right through the man's heart. As he fell to his knees, Jaekyung swung her sword and decapitated the man.

 

At the sight of their fallen leader, the enemy soldiers stopped fighting and begin running away from the school grounds. Jaekyung chuckled as they started running away and commanded her men to follow the retreating soldiers and kill every single one of them. The remaining Guardians and mage apprentices gathered around Jihyun and looked at Jaekyung who approached Jihyun.

 

Jaekyung seemed like she hadn't aged a day despite how long it had been since they had seen her. The older woman smiled at Jihyun and observed her diligently. She noticed how Jihyun had matured from that teenage girl she had mentored to a beautiful woman who was now a powerful mage.

 

“Jaekyung...” Jihyun breath out.

 

“Jihyun.” Jaekyung bowed.

 

Jihyun was about to speak but stopped when another woman approached them on horseback. The mage could tell this woman was tall like Jaekyung, she had long black hair which flowed down her sides and back. The woman was beautiful with her light complexion and striking bright green eyes.

 

Jaekyung turned to look at the woman on horseback and smiled. She then turned her sight back to Jihyun. “It seems as though I didn't make it in time to save the school, but luckily many of you survived so that is a relief.”

 

Everyone turned to look at the school which was now barely half standing. The distraction of the battle had allowed the catapult users to almost destroy the building. Jihyun brought her hands to as she covered a gasp. “No! The school...”

 

“I also bring more bad news.” Jaekyung commented causing Jihyun to face her once again.

 

“That idiot King Injo called all of the mages to their death bed. I'm sorry Jihyun.”

 

“What?!”

 

“I warned him long ago to stop disrespecting the Qing but he didn't listen! He called the mages to show off Joseon's strength but those who betrayed him helped the Manchurians take the mages out. They attacked early in the morning, before the sun had risen. Everyone was sleeping at the camp, and the guards taking watch were killed before they could alert anyone.” Jaekyung paused. The sight she had seen, the slaughter, it still affected her since it was fresh on her mind.

 

The woman on the horse stepped down from the animal's back and placed a reassuring hand on Jaekyung's back. Jaekyung turned to look at the woman and then turned to face Jihyun and the Guardians.

 

“They slaughtered everyone. Even if they had a chance to defend themselves it would have been too late. Everyone, every single mage is dead.” Jaekyung's breath got caught in .

 

Jihyun couldn't believe it. This is why the mages had not contacted her. Her father, he was gone. The young mage couldn't speak, she couldn't say anything. There was a knot in and tears welling up in her eyes.

 

“I'm so sorry Jihyun.” Jaekyung approached Jihyun, and for the first time in nine years, the mage fell into the older woman's embrace. Her father, who had always supported and loved her since she was a little girl, was gone. In this moment, Jihyun realized what true heartbreak was. It was not losing Jaekyung all those years ago, it was losing the one person who was always there for her; her father.

 

Soyeon, Boram and even Eunjung approached the mage and pulled her away from Jaekyung into their own embrace. They had grown close to Jihyun and respected Archmage Namil, for they would always be thankful to him for giving them a new perspective in life.

 

“I personally cremated your father's remains. Yeonhee...” Jaekyung turned to her wife and the woman handed Jaekyung the box they had put Archmage Namil's remains in.

 

Jaekyung handed Jihyun the box and bowed deeply before her and the Guardians. “Please take care of her. She's still a bright star and the most powerful mage this world will ever know.”

 

Jaekyung's comment was directed at the Guardians who nodded. Jaekyung turned around to mount her horse and take her leave. Yeonhee followed and mounted her own horse as well. The two women turned their horses around and started taking their leave.

 

“Jaekyung wait!” Jihyun ran after the older woman who stopped her horse and turned it around to face the younger mage. “Thank you for bringing me my father's remains, and thank you for everything. I wish you and Yeonhee a happy life.”

 

Jaekyung smiled and gave Jihyun a nod. “It was no problem at all and thank you. I know you will do great things Jihyun. Keep your head up. I wish you well.”

 

The older woman turned her horse back around and left with her wife riding alongside her. Jihyun watched them leave until they were out of sight. She sighed and looked at the box that contained her father's ashes. She turned around to look at what remained of the school, her students and then the Guardians.

 

“What do we do now?” She asked everyone.

 

Eunjung eyed Soyeon and Boram who nodded at their leader. “You and your father did so much for us so now we will help you in return. Something happened to you during the battle and it revealed that you are the Guardian we were looking for. We don't have an exact place to go to, but if you come with us, you will find a purpose. That I can assure you.”

 

“It sounds crazy, but that sounds better than staying here. I guess you'll lead the way Eunjung?” Jihyun looked at the Guardian expectantly and Eunjung nodded.

 

The battle they had fought wasn't even close to helping stop the invasion, but Eunjung did not want anyone in the group to partake in it again so she lead all of the Guardians south and far away from the war ravishing the northern part of the country.

 

As they traveled, Eunjung explained everything to Jihyun about the Guardians and their real purpose. Jihyun appreciated the knowledge provided by Eunjung and assured the Guardian that she wanted to be a part of the group. Their travels took them through towns, more forests, and mountainous regions until they neared the southern coast of Joseon.

 

The beach was a beautiful sight to see and Jihyun and her students appreciated the view and the water as they relaxed for the day. All of the mages had never been to the beach before so this was truly a luxury for them at the moment. The three Guardians watched their trainees and the mages run around the beach having fun with amused looks on their faces, well for Soyeon and Boram that is.

 

“I thought that you guys had left to recruit one Guardian. What is all this?” The voice behind the Guardians made them quickly turn around. Soyeon and Boram gasped with excitement at the sight of Hyomin.

 

Eunjung's eyes glimmered with excitement. “I'm glad you're back Hyomin.”

 

Hyomin grinned and pointed at the two swords she was now carrying. “Back and better than ever.”

 

 

 

 

Author's Note: Lee Jihyun is Qri's real name. She takes the name Qri later on.