The Origin of Boram

Masquerade ~ The Guardians

Goryeo, 1000 AD

A pair of eyes followed the movement of the black bear that roamed the drying forest around them. The leaves of autumn scattered the ground around the bear and a few leaves fell on the young teenage girl watching the animal sniff the area around its legs. Feeling that the bear was completely unaware of its surroundings, the young girl lifted her bow and pulled the arrow back aiming at the large animal's back. With the sound of the bow straining against the pull of the arrow, the girl smiled and kept her eye on the bear making sure her aim was good.

“Wooram, wait.” The voice of another girl broke the concentration of the archer.

“What? Why?” Wooram asked the older girl next to her.

“Look, behind the bear.” The other girl pointed and Wooram turned her sight back at the bear. Behind the black bear, a small bear cub happily gnawed on a fallen fruit.

“Damn, she's female.” Wooram sighed and lowered her bow and arrow.

“Yeah. Let's get down from this tree and search for a male bear.” Boram said and moved to climb down the giant tree they had climbed not too long ago.

The two sisters had been scouting the forest for black bears and the moment they had spotted the beauty before them; the girls just knew they had hit the jackpot. A bear that magnificent with its white 'v' shaped mark on its chest would have made their parents a pretty penny. The Jeon family relied on the sales of their animal hide coats during the fall and winter months. The two girls had been trained from a young age in the art of hunting.

While some hunters acted more like poachers and killed almost any animal they came across, the Jeon Family had strict rules regarding their hunting. One of the rules was not to kill a mother and child so to speak, therefore; the female bear and her cub were off limits to the two hunters.

Boram adjusted the ropes around the branch of the tree and the ones around her waist to help her descend from the tree. Her sister followed, and as quietly as they could, they gathered their items and started walking away from the bear and her cub. They didn't want to startle the mother and baby because that would just prompt the bear to attack them.

“Hopefully we'll find a bear as nice as that one soon. I honestly don't want to be out here too long.” Wooram commented as they walked down a hill covered by large trees.

“For a hunter, you really have no patience.” Boram giggled and looked at her sister who smirked.

The path they had taken led to a river and hopefully a bear or two would be down there fishing for their next meal. Halfway down their descent, the two girls heard the unmistakable sound of a bear roar and it seemed to be coming from the direction they had just left the mother bear and her cub. Curious as to what could have happened, Boram and Wooram looked at each other briefly and then took off running back in the direction they had come from.

They halted immediately when they spotted a group of men surrounding the bear and her cub. The men's weapons were drawn as if ready to attack the bear at any moment. One of the thugs launched himself at the bear, swinging his ax down, but the bear dodge his attack. She stood on her hind legs and swung a mighty paw at the man, slicing into his torso and sending him flying unto a tree. Another man attacked the bear next, his sword cut into her side, but the bear roared at him and struck him with a paw as well.

Angered by their actions, and acting on her always impulsive ways, Wooram grabbed her bow and aimed three arrows towards the men as she ran towards the group attacking the bear. Boram didn't even noticed her sister take off towards the men, so by the time she reacted, Wooram had struck two men with her arrows and knocked down another one with her body. The bear, meanwhile, was swinging her paws at several other men trying to protect her cub and herself.

Wooram had engaged in combat with the man she had previously knocked down, but behind her one of the men she had struck with her arrows, had stood up and limped his way towards the girl. Boram pulled the arrow back from her own bow and let it go. The nimble arrow flew rapidly through the air and struck the man on his neck before he could attack Wooram.

Boram started running towards her sister who had now been overpowered by the man she was fighting. He had straddled the younger girl and had landed two punches to her face when Boram's dagger struck his back. He sat up and screamed in pain, giving Boram access to his neck and using her dagger in her left hand, the young huntress slit the man's throat open.

Wooram pushed the dying man off of her and stood up with the help of her older sister. Behind the two sisters, the bear continued her struggle against the men who had gained up on her. They had struck her a few times now, and while her resolve to fend off the men was strong, the bear was starting to show signs of weakness physically. The little cub seemed to be crying next to a tree as it watched its mother fight the scary men.

“I think we should take these two back with us and have a little fun.” One of the men who suddenly approached the two sisters said.

His companion, who was equally as big and ugly as the first, grinned and nodded in agreement. “I'm already getting excited just thinking about it.”

The two hunters knew exactly what these men were referring to, so they stood their ground, as the two men began to approach them. Wooram and Boram had their weapons drawn, ready to strike and defend themselves. The men drew their swords, they didn't want to kill the girls, but they knew the two wouldn't give up without a fight.

The sound of an agonizing roar caused all four of them to turn and look at the bear finally go down. She wasn't dead, but she couldn't exactly get up to defend herself anymore. Death was near and the six men surrounding the bear laughed in victory. Suddenly the sound of a galloping horse neared the six men, and the guy mounted atop the horse swung his sword and struck one of the thugs.

While the mounted warrior fought the other five men, the two thugs trying to capture the sisters launched themselves at Boram and Wooram. Their instincts and natural quick reaction helped the girls avoid the two men despite their distraction. The powerful swings of the swords the two thugs were wielding didn't give much chance to either girl to attack them back so they just successfully dodged the men's attacks.

Boram managed to roll away in between the thug's legs who was attacking her. When she stood up and turned around, Boram saw the mounted warrior jump off his horse and tackle the thug. The larger man recuperated quickly from the tackle and swung his sword down to strike the previously mounted warrior. The guy parried the thug's attack with his sword and kicked the larger man in his stomach.

While the thug doubled over, the warrior swung his own sword down and decapitated the thug. The warrior then turned towards the thug who was trying to capture Wooram and ran towards him. Boram threw both of her daggers at the thug, which caught the man's left thigh. Groaning in pain and falling to one knee allowed Wooram to roll away from him towards her sister. The warrior reached the man as he fell, and swung his sword horizontally to cut the man's neck. Blood pooled around the thug after he slumped over dead.

The two hunters and the warrior turned their sights towards the bear who was now lying in her own pool of blood. Her bear cub had walked over to its mother and whimpered next to her head. The bear her baby's face one last time knowing that she would never see it again.

“She's dying!” Wooram cried out as she dropped to her knees and inspected all the wounds and cuts on the bear's body.

“And she's suffering.” Boram added as she knelt near the cub and the bear's head. “I'm sorry baby, but it's best if I end her agony now.”

Boram looked at the saddened cub with pity and tears in her eyes. She reached for one of the hidden daggers in her boots and drew it right into the back of the bear's head finally ending the animal's suffering. The warrior who had aided the two girls finally knelt down beside the bear's head and closed her eyes.

“You did the right thing.” He mentioned as he gently ran his hand down the cub's back. The little baby bear was just lying next to its mother now. Boram and Wooram looked over at the man and nodded.

“Thank you for helping us.” Wooram mentioned and Boram nodded in agreement.

“Oh...yeah it's no problem.” The guy replied while rubbing the back of his neck in shyness. “It's just too bad I didn't make it in time to save her either.”

The sisters looked down at the bear and then looked at their surroundings. All of the men who had originally attacked the bear were dead.

Boram moved to grab the cub and held it in her arms. The little cub didn't mind it as it was too saddened to push Boram away. “We had been scouting this bear for a while, but when we found out it was female and she had a cub with her, we left her alone and now she's dead.”

“Those bastards have no heart.” Wooram cried out. She was running her hands down the bear's body.

“They were pieces of trash. I had been searching for them after they had raided houses in my village.” The warrior mentioned and the two girls looked over at him.

“Well, I say it's a good thing we took care of them now before they did more harm to anyone else. Too bad we couldn't save this bear.” Wooram said.

“You're right. It's not that I like taking someone's life, but these guys were up to no good.” The warrior said and then stood up. He let out a sigh and searched his surroundings hoping to spot anything that belonged to the people of his village.

Wooram looked up at the man who had helped them and noticed his rather peculiar look. He didn't have a beard, which meant he was still in his 20's, but he also had a funny hair cut. The top of his hair was short and disheveled, while the back was long and ran past down his shoulders. He was handsome as far as the hunter could tell but his bright blue eyes made him stand out. It wasn't common to see people with blue eyes in Goryeo.

“I don't think we introduced ourselves. I'm Jeon Wooram.” Wooram bowed at the taller man after standing up and walking closer to him.

The man turned to look at Wooram and smiled. “Ah, yes. Nice to meet you Wooram. I'm Kang Daeyong.”

“Jeon Boram.” Boram mentioned as she stood up with the bear cub in her arms.

“So you two are sisters huh? Twins?” Daeyong said and the two girls chuckled and shook their heads.

“No, Boram is a year older than me actually.” Wooram replied.

“I see. Well, it was nice meeting you girls. I need to search these guys for the things they took from my village. I'll take care of their bodies as well.” Daeyong mentioned.

“Wooram and I will take care of this bear.” Boram told him and all three nodded in agreement.

While Daeyong searched the men, and managed to find some of the items they had taken, Boram and her sister dug a hole to bury the bear in. The bear's hide was worthless now with all the injuries she had suffered, but even if the bear's hide was intact, neither girl could be bear to skin the animal.

After burying the bear, Boram and Wooram said their goodbyes to Daeyong who had gathered the bodies of the dead men and piled them on top of each other. The young man watched the girls walk away until they were out of sight. He lit the bodies on fire and watched for a minute or so are the flames consumed their bodies turning into ash.

The two hunters had decided to end their hunt for the day after they had buried the bear. As they walked home, Boram was excited to take care of the bear cub from now since she had taken it with them. The little bear cub was calm in the short girl's arms and soon enough, the cub would see Boram as it's own mother.





Goryeo, 1010 AD

“Someone tell me why we have to travel to northern Goryeo at this time of the year? It's freezing here.” Hyomin complained wrapping her coat tightly around her body.

“Like it wasn't cold down in Dongnae. It's not too bad actually.” Soyeon told the warrior who pouted and continued to trek up the snow covered hill.

“Eunjung unni says that we might find another Guardian in this area and I've also heard that the capital is really beautiful even in the winter time!” Areum happily skipped along not having a problem climbing up the hill.

“The only thing that worries me is the impending attack that might be launched by the Khitan. God told me that there is a chance they might attack soon. If there is a Guardian in Gaegyeong, we need to find them quickly.” Eunjung said as she followed behind Areum.

The youngest out of the four, and also the current Chosen One, Areum reached the top of the hill before the other three girls. She cheered happily as she spotted the bustling capital of Goryeo from the top. Eunjung let out a sigh and Soyeon smiled when they both spotted the capital. Hyomin slumped her shoulders forward and rolled her eyes. She was glad to finally have made it to the top of the hill.

“Let's go!” Areum yelled out and started running down the hill.

“Are you sure God said she would live a regular human life because she really gets on my nerves sometimes. Too happy.” Hyomin complained as she watched Areum run then roll down the hill.

“Yes.” Eunjung replied and began her descent down the hill.

“I think you need the company of a nice lady. You've been too grumpy lately Hyomin.” Soyeon chuckled and followed behind Eunjung and Areum. Hyomin groaned at the priestess comment but began her descent anyways.







“Sungah!” Boram called out. “Sungah!”

From around the corner of her house, a massive black bear came running towards the short hunter. Sungah stopped before her master and took a seat. Boram grinned at her pet and presented the black bear with a sack full of fish. The bear quickly began to dig into her meal which brought another smile to Boram's face.

Sungah was the bear cub who's mother had been killed by the thugs ten years ago in the forest. Boram had taken the cub home, and raised her as her pet. Surprisingly the cub took a liking to Boram and her family, and despite being considered a wild animal, Sungah had turned out to be quite docile when it came to the Jeon family. Boram had trained her though, so when the moment came, Sungah could turn into the vicious animal people considered her to be.

“Boram you need to stop spoiling her so much.” Wooram said as she approached her sister and Sungah.

“Wooram!” Boram turned around and hugged her younger sister. It had been about a month since the two of them had seen each other.

Nowadays, Boram spent much more time at home taking care of their mother who had gotten sick. Wooram was the one going on hunts for animals to get their hides and their father was still working in the outhouse making the coats from the animal hides.

“I'm so glad to be back home. I missed all of you. How are mom and dad?” Wooram asked.

“Dad is doing well, dealing with mom's condition as best as he can.” Boram replied.

“Mom is not getting any better is she?” Wooram's worry was evident in her voice.

Boram nodded and sighed. “She's stable but I don't think she'll get better. Go inside and see her then go see dad. They'll be happy to see you.”

Wooram smiled and nodded. “I am. By the way, are you going to go to the festival tonight? The guys and I heard the commoners in the market place mention that there was going to be a huge party for the new King.”

“The whole city has been invited. I'm not sure if I'm going. We'll see. Anyways, now that you're back, I'm going to go to the market and get some items for the pantry.” Boram told her sister.

“I'll hold the fort down. See you later sis.” Wooram waved at her sister and headed inside the house to go see her mom. Boram went over to her pet and let the bear know that she would be back. Sungah heard Boram but continued to feast on all the fish the hunter had given her.







Preparations for the festival honoring King Hyeonjong's coronation had the entire capital bustling about in the market place. This area of the capital was big enough to host a huge festival seeing as how it was the one place where the most people congregated. Boram wasn't sure if she was going to attend the festival, but if her parents thought it was okay for her and Wooram to go, then she would make it down to celebrate with everyone.

Boram's eyes scanned the fruit available in the stand in front of her. Everything looked delicious despite it being the winter time, and she wanted to get enough for her family and few to treat Sungah with. Boram reached for an apple when she was suddenly startled.

“Boram?” The male voice behind her asked.

The short girl turned around to face the person who was talking to her. Her eyes went wide when she realized who it was. Last time Boram had seen him, she was just a teenager and he was a young man. Now, Daeyong was clearly a man in his 30's seeing as how a beard adorned his handsome face from one side to the next. The traditional mustache that most men grew out with their beards wasn't visible on Daeyong's face.

He smiled at Boram when the girl called his name. “Daeyong?”

“Yes!” He answered and pulled Boram into a hug. “Look at you! You're no longer that teenager I met ten years ago. How old are you now?”

Boram blushed at his question. “29...”

“29?! No way, you look soooo young.” Daeyong chuckled.

“You're really silly. It's not like you're that old either.” Boram told him and Daeyong grinned.

“Yeah, I guess not. Anyways, I'm really happy to see you again. Where is Wooram?” He asked.

“Home. She just got back from a hunt.” Boram explained.

“Nice!” Daeyong replied. Suddenly a beautiful, tall woman with piercing green eyes approached the two of them holding a baby in her arms.

“Daeyong did you get the apples?” She asked looking at the taller man expectantly.

“Oh, not yet honey. I happened to run into a friend of mine. Soojung, this is Boram. Boram this is my wife Soojung.” Daeyong introduced both women to each other.

“Nice to meet you.” They replied at the same time.

“Oh, and this is our daughter Jaekyung.” Daeyong motioned towards the little baby in Soojung's arms.

“She's so cute. Congratulations to the both of you.” Boram said to the couple standing in front of her.

“Thank you.” The couple replied. The conversation between the three continued on for a few minutes while they shopped at the stand next to them. Before saying their goodbyes, Daeyong mentioned that he would be at the festival that night and that he hoped to see the two sisters there.

By the time Boram left the market and headed home, she actually felt a bit of excitement to go to the festival. It wouldn't just be her and Wooram anymore. It's not like she didn't know anyone else in Gaegyeong, she knew plenty of people, but none of them were close friends. Daeyong wasn't a close friend either by any means, but the guy had saved her and Wooram ten years ago. Attending the festival would be a chance for Wooram to see Daeyong again as well. The three of them had made an interesting connection that fated day so long ago.






Amusement seemed to glimmer in Eunjung's eyes. Areum had joined the dancers near the great fire in the middle of the market place where the young Chosen One had lost all inhibition by letting the excitement of the festival get to her. Drummers played the music that had gotten a lot of people moving and those who weren't dancing were eating or drinking to their hearts content. Performers entertained others with their various talents.

Eunjung and Soyeon had taken a seat on a bench near one of the few trees in the area. The priestess had gotten both of them some meat on a stick to snack on. Hyomin had disappeared earlier when they had first arrived in the capital. Soyeon had a feeling the warrior had taken up her suggestion. It was also possible that Hyomin had gone off to simply get away from Areum for a while.

“You told Hyomin and I that God gave you our names and specific details on how to find us, but he didn't for this new Guardian we're supposed to find? This place is so big it will be like finding a needle in a haystack.” Soyeon commented with a mouthful of food.

“I know, but I think he mentioned the potential of Khitan attacks because that might help us find them. Hyomin was chosen because of her loyalty and determination, while you were chosen for your healing abilities and natural affinity for the Light. The new Guardian probably hasn't shown their capabilities yet.” Eunjung replied.

“Well, hopefully the new Guardian is hanging around here somewhere.” Soyeon added and Eunjung nodded.






The festival was well underway by the time the Jeon sisters had made down to it. It was nice to see the people so happy and without a care in the world for now. Both remembered the days when everyone was so alarmed with worry about the invasions that happened constantly. The Khitan had been the biggest threat to the Kingdom of Goryeo, but after the king and the army managed to drive them away, peace had returned to the land and the people.

This was evident by the way everyone was enjoying themselves and everything happening around them. Wooram wanted to have a good time, so when she spotted the first stand selling food and drinks she walked right up to it. Boram had eaten before coming to the festival, so she waited for her sister not too far from the food stand. She was hoping to spot Daeyong so that he could greet Wooram as he had mentioned earlier.

“Mmm! So good!” Wooram said as she savored the bite of meat she took from the stick in her right hand. “Let's go Boram!”

Boram chuckled as her sister skipped further into the festival grounds letting the carefree environment take over her. Perhaps it was a good idea for Boram to let lose for tonight as well.







The light of the festival in Gaegyeong could be seen from miles away when standing on a high hill. It was exactly what the large army could see as they peered in the distance. Goryeo had enjoyed a long period of peace, but that time was coming to an end. The lowered defenses, the young king, and the unsuspecting capital would see chaos again.

The general of the Khitan army smirked and sent out the order for the troops to march. In this fated night, Gaegyeong would burn along with its people, king and country. The Khitan would make sure to claim this land in their name.






Boram and Wooram had finally met up with Daeyong after wandering around for a while. The young man had been excited to see Wooram again and the young hunter had to admit that seeing his face again made her happy as well. After the three of them had talked for a bit, Wooram had separated herself from her sister and Daeyong to go enjoy the rest of the night. Daeyong and Boram had kept their conversation going while watching the people dance by the great fire.

Meanwhile, Wooram had found herself dancing and laughing with another girl who had been dancing by the fire for a long time. They had clicked instantly and created their own little world that had gone unnoticed by everyone around them except those who were there with the girl Wooram was dancing with.

“Seems like Areum has made a friend.” Soyeon commented.

Eunjung remained silent as she studied the shorter girl who was talking and dancing with Areum. There was an interesting aura about the girl and this peaked Eunjung's senses. Could this possibly be the person they were looking for? The Guardian knew she just had to wait and see.

“Can you sense an aura around her?” Eunjung asked the priestess.

“It's faint, but if you focus on a different aura, you'll notice there is a darker aura here too.” Soyeon replied.

Eunjung looked at Soyeon and then turned back to look at Areum and her new friend. She closed her eyes and opened them once she sensed the dark aura as well. There was no reason to react, but both Guardians kept their eyes on their Chosen One; they had to make sure she was fine no matter what.






“Areum, I need another drink. Do you want one?” Wooram asked her dance partner.

“That would be nice. I just realized I've been dancing for a long time now.” Areum giggled and followed the shorter girl towards a food stand.

They passed up Boram and Daeyong, who were having what seemed to be a serious conversation, and stopped at the food stand right behind them. Wooram ordered the drinks and paid for them. She handed one of the cups to Areum and chuckled when she saw the other girl gulp down the rice wine.

“Wow...that's strong.” Areum coughed after swallowing the entire contents of the of the cup.

“Guess you never had wine before.” Wooram laughed and Areum nodded while giggling.

“My friends won't let me drink, but since they're not here, I would like another.” Areum handed the cup to Wooram. The hunter turned back to the stand and ordered another round.

The second round turned into several more and before Areum knew it, she was a bit tipsy and hanging all over Wooram who didn't seem to mind one bit. They had left the drinks for a bite to eat. The two girls were sharing the bowl of dumplings they ordered.

“I'm so glad to have met you Wooram. I'm having a blast!” Areum yelled out and started giggling. The alcohol had loosened her up even more.

“Me too!” Wooram yelled out as well and both were now full of giggles.

Areum grabbed the last dumpling and placed half of it in and pointed the half that was sticking out towards Wooram. The hunter grinned and reached out to bite that half of the dumpling. Wooram successfully bit off the half but in the process she ended up kissing Areum. Both girls' eyes went wide at first but then they closed them and enjoyed the kiss for what it was worth.

A fit of giggles followed after they pulled away and a red blush tinted their cheeks. The sound of a throat clearing itself alerted the two girls and they turned to face Soyeon and Eunjung who were looking at them.

Areum grinned. “Soyeon! Eunjung! This is Wooram...my...my...girlfriend!”

Both Areum and Wooram giggled some more and all Eunjung and Soyeon could do was shake their heads. Drunks was the first word that crossed the Guardians' minds.







Boram and Daeyong had been talking about what they had been up since the day they met. Boram learned that Daeyong had recently lost his father and since his father was the chief of the village, the warrior had now taken on that mantle. He had married his wife five years ago as well. From Boram, Daeyong had learned about how the hunter had taken in that cub and raised it. The sad part of Boram's story was the poor health her mother was in due to her sickness, and Daeyong could sympathize with her since his father had been sick before he died as well.

Their conversation had eventually led them away from the festival and down to Boram's house. Daeyong had wanted to meet Sungah and Boram's parents as well. Since reconnecting, the friendship between them seemed to be growing quickly and getting the chance to know Boram's family was a good way to make the friendship more solid.

Screams and the sight of smoke floating high up in the sky broke the two out of their bubble. The smell of smoke hit their noses and caused both of them to cough. The only thing in the direction they were walking were houses so it probably meant that these houses had caught fire. It was odd for these many houses to be burning, and if that was the case, their questions were answered when a rain of fire arrows started flying down on them. Boram and Daeyong managed to successfully dodge the arrows. Panic struck Boram and she took off running in the direction of her home with Daeyong following close behind.

They passed up several houses burning wildly and the people who hadn't gone to the festival were running out of their houses horrified. Boram stopped in her tracks when she came up to her house. It was burning wildly like the ones they had passed up, and the biggest fear in her heart and mind was that her parents were still inside.

A roar broke her shock causing Boram and Daeyong to look in the direction it came from. Suddenly, a man flew across the front yard and before he could get up, Sungah landed on top of him. The bear ripped into the man's neck with her mighty jaw killing him instantly.

“Sungah! Mom and dad!” Boram yelled out to her pet and took off running towards the house.

“Boram wait!” Daeyong called out and ran after Boram into the burning house.

Sungah started following behind them but stopped when more men ran towards her with their weapons held high above them and screams of war being shouted from their throats. The bear launched herself at them while Boram and Daeyong broke the front door of the house down and ran in to find Boram's parents.

Boram's dad had tried to bring his wife out of their bedroom but the smoke and fire had been too much for him to handle. He was in the living room trying to hold up his wife and coughing loudly due to the smoke. Daeyong grabbed the unconscious woman from the older man's arms and ran out of the house with her. Boram grabbed her father's arm, placing it around her shoulders, and led her father out of the home before it collapsed.

Daeyong laid the woman on the ground once outside the house and turned to help Boram with her father. The older man knelt down by the his wife once he got closer to her. Sungah's roar alerted Boram and Daeyong once again; this time they saw one of the men surrounding the bear finally strike her with his sword. The black bear swung a mighty paw at the man's head snapping the villain's neck.

The warrior and hunter ran towards the bear to aid her. They tackled the two remaining men, and Boram quickly got up to run towards the outhouse which was the only building not on fire.

“My bow and arrows are in the outhouse. You can borrow my father's sword!” Boram yelled out to Daeyong.

The warrior punched the guy he had tackled one last time and ran off after Boram to get the weapon he needed. Sungah ran after the two of them to make sure her master did not get attacked. Inside the outhouse, Boram grabbed both her bow and Wooram's. She placed her sister's bow around her torso and grabbed several quivers filled with arrows and placed them around her torso as well. Boram then grabbed her father's sword and threw it at Daeyong who caught it with both hands.

“The armor these guys are wearing belong to the Khitan army. There's probably a whole lot more of them outside.” Daeyong informed the hunter.

“My parents!” Boram shouted out and ran out of the outhouse with Daeyong and Sungah following right behind her.






“It's probably best we let them just keep having fun. They're both drunk.” Soyeon commented to Eunjung who was sitting on the bench once again with her arms crossed.

Areum and Wooram had gone back to dancing around the great fire after Soyeon and Eunjung had found them. It was clear to both Guardians that trying to get any information out of this Wooram wouldn't work tonight.

“I just hope they keep their...” Eunjung stopped mid comment and looked over her shoulder then back at Soyeon. “Do you feel that?”

The sudden change of wind alerted Soyeon as well. “Yes, very powerful dark auras.”

Arrows suddenly came flying down into the area. Some were regular arrows while others had their tips lit up with flames. They struck several people before screams were heard and people started running around to get out of the area. Areum and Wooram ducked hoping to not be hit by the arrows. The two Guardians ran over to Areum, Eunjung swinging her mighty buster sword around knocking arrows from their path. Soyeon, who had shielded herself with Power Word: Shield, used her spell on both Areum and Wooram to protect the girls.

“We need to get out of here now!” Soyeon shouted at the girls and grabbed their hands to pull them in the direction of an exit.

As they ran down a road leading out of the walls of the capital, they saw the armed men riding in horses striking everyone they could in their path. The four girls managed to dodge the attacks launched at them by the men and as they trekked closer to an exit, a group of men had blocked the way out. Some were attacking the civilians and others were lighting the buildings on fire.

Guards around the capital had engaged the invaders in battle but they were outnumbered by the looks of it. Eunjung turned everyone around and led them down another road hoping to find a clear exit soon. They were heading north now and this way was only leading them to find even more invaders. The whole situation had sobered up both Areum and Wooram.

The more they traveled north, the more Wooram realized that these men were coming from the direction of her home. A home that lied in the outskirts of the capital and its walls. Realizing she needed to to get home, Wooram started running faster and let go of Areum's hand.

“Wooram wait!” Areum called out as the shorter girl ran past Eunjung who was running in front of them.

Areum picked up her pace and ran past Eunjung to try and catch Wooram. There was no way Areum was letting her friend run off in this chaos. Eunjung and Soyeon began chasing after the two girls hoping that they could avoid the attacks of the invaders. Royal Guards had joined the fight now so it was easier to maneuver through the crowd.

As they passed a certain building, a half dressed Hyomin ran out of the building with a sword in one hand, her boots in the other, and her shirt completely opened revealing her undergarment. She had heard the commotion outside and luckily for the warrior, her friends had just run past the building.

“A brothel?!” Soyeon questioned as Hyomin caught up with them.

“I'll tell you all about it later!” Hyomin shouted.

Soyeon shook her head as they continued down the path towards the exit. Hearing about Hyomin's exploits in the brothel did not interest her at all. The more all of them ran, the closer they got to the exit which luckily was wide open due to the Royal Guards clearing the path for the civilians.

Wooram was not sure where her sister was, but Boram knew how to protect herself, so hopefully the older girl would make it out of the capital. The main thought in Wooram's mind was her parents since they were alone back home with just Sungah to protect them. The closer she got to her house, the more enemy soldiers she spotted chasing after civilians. Around Wooram and the Guardians, dozens of houses were completely on fire or collapsing because of the flames. The hunter sped up her run even more, somehow finding the air and energy to keep going.







The sight of a soldier stabbing her father through his torso and leaving the man to die enraged Boram to no end. She stopped abruptly, grabbing an arrow and pulling back on the string of her bow, Boram launched the arrow so hard that the bow vibrated in her hand. The arrow flew straight through the air at an incredible speed and caught the man who had just killed her father on the back of his exposed neck. The force of the arrow pierced through the man's neck and exited through the front. The soldier choked on air before falling face first onto the ground.

Boram's mother and father laid in a pool of blood when she and Daeyong knelt before the older couple. The hunter's breath got caught in and tears welled up in her eyes as she placed her hands on her parents' lifeless bodies. Daeyong lowered his head and offered a prayer for their souls. Sungah roared as a soldier struck his sword into her hide.

The black bear turned around and knocked over the soldier. She bit hard onto the man's arm and started tugging it back trying to rip it from its socket. The sound of her bear fighting a soldier caused Boram to turn around and see the group of enemy soldiers running towards them. Boram grabbed an arrow and then another as she began launching a flurry of arrows at the enemy. Daeyong tightened the grip on the sword and ran towards the men to attack them. They were outnumbered but the hunter and warrior would not allow these men to get the upper hand.







A battle in her front yard was the sight Wooram arrived to when she finally reached her house. The bodies of her parents were lying on the ground and Boram, Daeyong and Sungah were engaged in a fierce fight with the enemy soldiers. The only weapons Wooram had with her were the daggers in her boots, so she withdrew them and made a dash towards one of the soldiers. She jumped up and struck the back of the soldier with both daggers. Using both knees, she used his body as leverage when he started falling forward.

Once he was down on the ground, Wooram ran towards another soldier ready to strike. She slid on the ground before reaching him, and stabbed his foot with one dagger and cut the guy's left hamstring with the other. The man lost his balance from the wounds and fell on one knee. Daeyong who was in front of the man, turned around the cut the man's neck with the tip of his blade. Wooram gave Daeyong a slight nod with her head and took off for another soldier.

Eunjung grabbed Areum's arm before the girl could catch Wooram and stopped Soyeon and Hyomin before they could jump into the fight as well. Hyomin, who somehow managed to put her boots on and close her shirt all while running, withdrew her sword from its holder and readied her grip on the blade.

“There are Shadows within the ranks of the Khitan army. Soyeon, keep Areum at your side. Do not let you shield falter. Hyomin, let's take out as many as we can.” Eunjung instructed the Guardians.

Both gave Eunjung a nod, and then the two sword wielders ran off to join the battle. Soyeon cast her shield on Areum and grabbed the girl's hand to lead her closer to the fight going on in front of them.

“Stay next to me Areum. Use some of the attacks you've learned if needed.” Soyeon told the younger girl as they neared the battle.

Daeyong noticed the two warriors who had joined him and the sisters to fight off the enemy. He kept a close eye on them as he battled two soldiers, but as soon as he took them down, he made his way to were Boram was maintaining her distance to shoot as many arrows as she could.

“Boram, I've noticed some of these guys went in the direction of my village. I need to head back and make sure everyone is safe.” Daeyong explained when he finally reach Boram.

“I understand Daeyong. Be careful.” And with those words from Boram, Daeyong offered a nod and took off running in the direction of his village.

The chaos of the battle allowed Daeyong to skip past the soldiers and Guardians to head back to his village. Eunjung and Hyomin were too distracted to notice the man as they cut down soldier after soldier with ease. Soyeon was using her attacking spells to down the men she knew were Shadows. Eunjung and Hyomin would cut them down as they succumbed to Soyeon's holy spells.

Finally spotting her sister, Wooram shouted out her name. “Boram!”

Hoping to catch up to her sister, Wooram made a mad dash for her only to be struck by a soldier. He caught her side first with his sword, and when the hunter doubled over in pain, he stabbed her right through the heart. A scream escaped Wooram and she dropped her daggers. He man grinned and pulled the sword out of her chest, letting the short girl fall to the ground. Wooram's breath was ragged as she laid there, her life slowly leaving her.

The sight of that man striking his sister was the last straw for Boram. She had lost her parents and now she was on the verge of losing her sister. Boram gripped her bow and arrow so tight her knuckles turned white and the veins on her neck were ready to pop. The hunter let out a scream in anger and suddenly a glow enveloped her whole body. It empowered her and she used the new found power to shoot an arrow straight at the man. The arrow struck the man on his shoulder and he groaned from the pain.

The brightness from the glow around Boram's body caused everyone to stop and stare at the short girl in shock. The Guardians and Areum were surprised as well, but knew that they had found the one they were looking for. The new Guardian was not the girl Areum had befriended; it was this other hunter who looked a lot like Wooram.

“She's the one.” Soyeon mumbled and everyone nodded.

Boram dropped her bow and ran towards the man who had killed her sister. She tackled him, knocking him down, and then rolled to grab Wooram's daggers. The man quickly got up and moved to try and grab Boram, but she stabbed his right foot with a dagger. Boram then struck the guy's ankle with the other dagger and followed up the man's right side with quick strikes. The last strike ended on the man's neck.

The hunter pulled the dagger out and the man fell forward dead. Boram breathed heavily and simply stared at the dead man in front of her. The glow around her body remained but it had dimmed a bit.

“The general is dead!” A soldier shouted and took off running in the direction they had come. The rest followed and a horn was blown signaling retreat.

Areum finally spotted Wooram's body on the ground and ran towards her before Soyeon or anyone else could stop her. Soyeon tried to follow Areum to stop her but Eunjung held the priestess back. Soyeon turned to face Eunjung and the Guardian shook her head. Hyomin placed her sword back in its holder and got closer to Eunjung and Soyeon.

“Wooram! Wooram!” Areum shouted out the shorter girl's name as she turned the body around. The taller girl held Wooram in her arms and started crying.

Boram and Sungah approached Wooram and the girl who was holding the hunter in her arms. “Wooram...”

“You can't die on me! Not after we just met! Wooram!” Areum cried out, pain in her heart and tears in her eyes.

Boram fell to her knees before her sister and the girl who was holding her. Tears flowed freely from the hunter's eyes. “Wooram!”

Areum began to glow so brightly that the glow around Boram disappeared and then the light seemed to envelop Wooram's body completely. The Guardians gasped , realizing Areum had tapped into her growing powers and was using them on Wooram. A cough escaped Wooram's lips as the light healed her wound and returned the life to her body.

“Wooram!” Areum cried out again and smiled when she saw the shorter girl open her eyes.

Shocked, Boram gasped and grabbed her sister's hands. “Wooram...you're alive...it's a miracle.”

“A.. reum... Boram...” Wooram weakly spoke out and the two girls holding her hugged her tightly.

“She resurrected her...” Soyeon said still in shock.

“I didn't know that was possible.” Hyomin commented.

Areum and Boram finally helped Wooram stand up and the young hunter introduced her sister to the girl she had met at the festival. It was clear to Boram that by the look in the eyes the two girls had towards each other, that there was something there more than just friendship. Despite being glad her sister was somehow still alive, Boram had to give the bad news to Wooram that their parents had been killed and their home obviously destroyed.

That night, the Guardians and the Chosen One, stood by the two hunters' side as the girls grieved and gave their parents a proper burial. Boram also treated the wounds her pet Sungah had received due to the battle. All of them stayed in the outhouse which had survived the assault and the next morning the Guardians knew they had a lot of explaining to do.

Eunjung, Hyomin and Soyeon knew that Boram was the Guardian they were looking for but now the other issue was Wooram. Areum had taken a great liking to the younger of the sisters but she was not a Guardian and they weren't sure if Areum could have more than a friendship with the girl.

“I think you should take Boram to the side and explain everything about being a Guardian and convince her to join us. We can bring her sister along until we find out from God what to do with her.” Hyomin told their leader.

“What to do with her? She's not a dog Hyomin.” Soyeon told the warrior.

“You know what I mean!” Hyomin replied.

“Hyomin is right. If Boram does decide to join us, her sister will have to come along regardless. I will go talk to her.” Eunjung told both Guardians and headed out of the outhouse to talk with Boram.

Outside, Areum was playing with Sungah while the Jeon sisters were dousing the little fires that remained in what used to be their house. Eunjung pulled Boram to the side and explained everything to the hunter. Why they had come to Gaegyeong, who Areum was, and what their roles were in protecting the young girl and the world.

All Boram had known her whole life was hunting and selling the merchandise to maintain at least a decent way of living. Shadows, Guardians, and Chosen Ones; those were things out of the ordinary but it offered Boram a different way of life. It offered her a chance to explore more of the world and experience new things.

“I need to think about it. Also, there is something I need to do. I will give you my answer when I return. Tell my sister I will be back soon.” Boram bowed to Eunjung and took off to where she needed to go.






Daeyong had told Boram the name of the village he lived in so she was making her way towards it. To get to the village required for Boram to pass through the same wooded area she had first met the young man in that day. The sight of Daeyong walking towards her made Boram stop and greet the man.

“Daeyong.”

“Boram! I was on my way to return your father's sword and thank you.” He explained.

“I should be thanking you for aiding me. Everything is fine in your village I take it?” Boram asked.

“Yes, luckily the guards were able to take out the small group that tried to attack it.”

Boram looked at the ground a smiled. She then turned to look up at Daeyong. “I'm glad to hear that.”

Daeyong handed Boram her father's sword and she took it. “I think you had something else to tell me.”

The hunter nodded. “Yes, the warriors who arrived to help us as you were leaving, they are offering me the chance of a lifetime.”

“Oh?”

Boram nodded.

“Well then, it seems like you're unsure of your decision. It comes down to two things Boram. Either you stay and become a leather coat merchant like your father, or you take their offer. I know we've just started to know each other, but I think the latter is what you would prefer.” Daeyong smiled knowing he was right when a slight smile crept up Boram's lips.

“You're right. Thank you for everything Daeyong. I will miss you, but I guess this is goodbye.” Boram bowed deeply to the older man.

Daeyong pulled the shorter girl into a hug which she gladly returned. “I will miss you too Boram. Maybe we will find each other one day. Goodbye my friend.”

They let go of each other and turned around to head back to their lives. When Boram returned home, she informed Eunjung that she accepted her offer to join them and become a Guardian. That night Boram explained everything to Wooram and her younger sister surprised Boram by knowing what was about to happen to both of them. Wooram was glad her sister accepted to become a Guardian because she wanted to go with Areum and her friends.

The next morning, Boram and Wooram took off on their journey with the Guardians and Areum. They would travel down to Dongnae, the city where Areum and the Guardians had been staying at and called home. Once they arrived, Eunjung was informed by God that if Areum took Wooram as her partner and lover, that the girl would lose all her abilities as the Chosen One.

When Eunjung told Areum about that, Areum told Eunjung and the Guardians that she did not care if she was or was not the Chosen One anymore. All she wanted to do was spend her life with the woman she had fallen in love with it. Wooram knew Areum's decision would separate her and Boram for the rest of their lives most likely. The Jeon sisters had a tight bond, but they both knew one day each of them had to go on their separate ways.

So the last time Boram and Wooram saw each other, was the day they said their goodbyes and Boram left Dongnae with the other Guardians in search of the new Chosen One.