One : Disclaimer

Betting On Gyu

Chapter One

Disclaimer: I Do Not Stalk

 

“You know if you’re going to stalk someone

You should be less obvious,

For starters, try not to stand in the middle of the field

Gawking at your prey...

--Kristin Walker, A Match Made in High School Heaven

 

 

         "You are definitely obvious..."

 

          "I am not. If I was he would've called on it by now... Or looked away or I don't know, stopped going to that part of the library all together...”

 

Profile:

Name: Lee Soo Jung

Age: 20

* currently studying Biochemistry at W University

* hobbies include reading, singing and stalking a senior student

that goes by the name KIM SUNGGYU

 

          “Or called a restraining order...”

 

          Lee Soo Jung scoffs. She has been feeling quite accomplished as of late. Her plan seems to be working, well working in a way that she hasn't been arrested or given a restraining order. Of course there were those times when their eyes meet and she stands frozen and is unable to function. But other than that, she thinks she's safe.

 

          She wants to desperately be friends with him. Nearly three months and she hasn't had the courage to say 'hi' or even muster a wave.

 

          Her best friend doubts that she'll have the courage to do so in the near future regardless of her vehement protest and her excuse for lack of opportunity.

 

          "Soo Jung-ah, you're the perfect definition of obvious. Even the densest would figure out you were stalking..."

 

          "Ya! I told you, I.DO.NOT.STALK." dramatically emphasizing every word with her foot. "And besides, I'm too dignified to be a stalker...”

 

Profile:

Name: Nam Woo Hyun

Age: 21

* currently studying Music Composition at W University

* hobbies include lounging around doing nothing, soccer if he feels like it, being lazy, writing songs because he has to, charm the university’s female population— he does this particular hobby all the time

         

          Nam Woo Hyun has the audacity to roll his eyes at her. He isn't to be trusted. What does he know? He's a totally different level from the object of her fascination. Woo Hyun is the type to charm anyone without even trying. He's part of the soccer team and is quite popular with the student body especially with the females. The only reason Woo Hyun still hangs out with her is because she's familiar.

 

          And he's useless in his current state, wanting to lounge around and play soccer and stick to those he already knows, instead of hanging out to meet new people. Which Soo Jung really really needs him to do right now, because they're at the library a few shelves away from 'him and his perfection'.

 

          She could use his best friend's charm. She sighs heavily, glaring at the guy in front of her who is looking at her with amusement.

 

          Murder is still illegal, she reminds herself.

 

          Lee Soo Jung laments her averageness. She pretty much has zero social skills and is awkward around new people and can only open up if they're really childhood-level close friends. She doesn't mind being a wall flower because too much attention can cause someone trouble. But she wouldn't mind a senior someone's attention.

 

          Kim Sung Gyu is the epitome of perfection. He sings. He dances. He plays the piano and is the main vocalist of the hottest band in the campus. He’s also good at studying. Everybody in the campus knows him and is most probably smitten with him.

 

          That’s where Soo Jung’s dilemma starts. If everyone in the whole school likes who she likes, what are the chances of ever getting even a single date with him? She’s most likely on the lower end of an imaginary list.

 

          And yeah, one more (most important) thing, KIM SUNG GYU DOESN’T KNOW HER. /insert cheesy teen movie soundtrack/

 

          On the other hand, the dude who can’t be moved is friends with Mr. Perfect. Too bad he doesn’t want anything to do with getting them introduced, which for her because that would be easier (and less dangerous) than stalking. Yes she admits to it but only to herself. She’s seen Woo Hyun smug face a hundred times; she doesn’t like seeing it.

 

          She has decided to take matters into her own hands; she will introduce herself to Kim Sung Gyu no matter what.

 

          Well after her knees (and her teeth consecutively) stop shaking when he’s in front of her.

 

          “I’m going to get snacks, do you want to come?”

 

          She shakes her head. Kim Sung Gyu would be heading this way any moment now.

 

          “Suit yourself then...” he looks at her and shakes his head. “Your fan girl obsession needs to stop...”

 

          Her turn to make a face, one day she’d be able to make Woo Hyun eat his words and also maybe half of his unwanted presence.

 

          “Woo Hyun-ssi, I was looking for you...”

 

          Voice. Familiar.

 

Profile:

Name: Kim Sung Gyu

Age: 23

* currently studying Music Education & Performance at W University

* hobbies include listening to music, singing and sleeping

 

          Lee Soo Jung did what all respected fan girls would do, faint. She’d most likely have a concussion (or a broken skull) when (and if) she wakes up.

 

~0~

 

          Kim Sung Gyu is (for a lack of better word or expression) is dumbfounded. Did that girl just faint? In front of him? And why is Nam Woo Hyun looking so calm?

 

          “She... ermmm... There’s a girl a who—“

 

          “Don’t mind her, she does that all the time...”