Four : Square Peg, Round Hole

Betting On Gyu

Chapter 4

Square Peg, Round Hole

 

BSMMC REQUEST FORM

Name: Kim Ming Gyu

Reason for request: My friend is an idiot

For whom: Sophomore Park Myeong Eun

Requesting on behalf of: Idiot Jeon Won Woo

 

~0~

          “Okay, shall we start?”

 

          Jeon Won Woo has no idea why he was way laid to a secluded room on the 6th floor of the Humanities Building. He’s about to head towards soccer practise when a small girl decided to drag him away.

         

          “Hi... I’m Lee Soo Jung. I run the Baby Soul Matchmaking Club.”

 

          “Hello... Why am I here?” Won Woo doesn’t hide the fact that he’s both confused and annoyed.

 

          “I come in peace... sometimes. But seriously, someone sent a matchmaking request on your behalf...”

 

          “I’m not aware...”

 

          “Of course, you’re not aware. I apologize for that, though I still need to go through with this.”

 

          Jeon Won Woo sighs, might as well get this over with. The matchmaker pulls out a manila envelope.  A photo was placed on the table. He’s going to kill whoever it is that sent this request.

 

          “From your reaction, I guess you know her...”

 

          The tone of her voice is making Won Woo feel like this is an interrogation and not a matchmaking.

 

          “I know her too; she’s a precious friend of mine. Don’t make me regret doing this...”

 

          He gulps.

 

          “Okay, now we have that out of the way. I have a questionnaire I want you to fill up, honestly. As honestly as you can...”

 

          And he thinks he’s starting to break into a cold sweat.

 

          “Ji Ah! You’re not supposed to scribble on the reports...” Seok Min gripes, re-printing four new copies of the questionnaire for the meeting.

 

          “The guy is stupid... If I were this Park Myeong Eun I’ll forget about him...”

 

          “You’re not so let’s all be professional about it. We need the papers clean until Soo Jung arrives, then we deliberate.”

~0~

          She’s sneaking around doing and threatening people. This club is absolutely building up her people skills. She’s now in front of the Music Club where Myeong Eun is currently at. Who needs boring club activities, when she can stalk and be hostile instead?

 

          “Brains?”

 

          Voice. Familiar.

 

          “Hey...”

 

          Under normal circumstances, Lee Soo Jung would’ve fainted as she usually does in the presence of one Kim Sung Gyu. However, this time she decided to just wing it. Chance!

 

          “Hi!” Standing face to face with somebody you’ve admired (stalked) for a long time really makes someone weak in the knees. Fainting is not an option she’s already resolved to that. But maybe swaying is understandable?

 

          “Are you okay?” The concern on the others voice is music to Lee Soo Jung’s ears. Not that she wanted to look particularly damsel in distress-y.

 

          “Ah yeah...Ermmm... Dizzy spell, nothing serious, sunbae-nim...”

 

          “Are you planning to sign up, brains?”

 

          “Ummm that, I’m actually Lee Soo Jung...” The Lee Soo Jung, stalker by day, matchmaker by night. “Not...”

 

          “Brains?” How does one resist a smiling Kim Sung Gyu? “I’m just teasing. I know you’re name. It’s in Professor Im’s list. Attendance...”

 

          “Oh...”

 

          “So are you here to sign up? Coz... We don’t have... The rosters are already filled.” His face is full of regret; it’s a miracle that she doesn’t actually swoon. Not that swooning is synonymous to regret. “Maybe next semester I could try and request for more slots...”

 

          Lee Soo Jung is frozen. She just stares. This was the only time she’s able to stare without books and a floor to ceiling bookshelf obstructing the way.

 

          Kim Sung Gyu raises an eyebrow, adorably. She wants to squish him and go ‘achuchu’ and make cooing noises. Okay, that’s way out of character.

 

          “I’m looking for Park Myeong Eun...” she blurts out.

 

          “Are you a friend of Jin’s”

 

          Jin? Who’s Jin?

 

          “Myeong Eun, that’s a nickname everybody in music club calls her. Kind of like a stage name.” He answers like he’s reading her mind. “I can’t read minds... It’s written all over your face.”

 

          “Oh.”

 

          “So...”

 

          In her nervousness she says “I’m a matchmaker!”

 

          Kim Sung Gyu gives her another one of those raising his eyebrows in inquiry plus smiling combo.

 

          “I mean... I’m a friend first, matchmaker second... Though I’m not here as a friend but a matchmaker... on a matchmaking mission...” Lee Soo Jung smiles awkwardly berating herself for being a total idiot.

 

          “Okay then Ms. Matchmaker, I believe she’s inside. You can come in...”

 

          Lee Soo Jung feels like she just won the lottery.

 

~0~

 

          Matchmaking is painstaking job. Whoever does this voluntarily must either be stupid or desperate. Unfortunately she’s both. She steps inside the club room ready to be the bearer of disappointment.

 

          “I’ve got bad news guys...”

 

          All three members looked up from whatever it is they’re pretending to be busy about. “Ji Ah’s not here again?”

 

          “Is that the bad news? Coz we kinda know she isn’t here since we got here before you did...” the still nameless (will have a name for her eventually) new member points out.

 

          Someone kick her for being insolent, Lee Soo Jung mumbles.

 

          There’s a silent ‘ouch’ followed by an angry hiss.

 

          She smiles self satisfactorily then she remembers she’s bringing bad news. “Park Myeong Eun doesn’t seem to want to cooperate...” Although the encounter with Kim “Perfection” Sun Gyu wouldn’t be called bad, she got to talk to him for 5 minutes that’s the longest that she was able to be conscious in his presence. And he seems to be amused by her, she’s just assuming this but come one, he smiled at her three times, albeit it was because she was making a fool of herself, but still three times! That’s THREE TIMES that he smiled at her.

 

           “Noona, why are you smiling like that?”