Cloudy Skies

Cloudy Skies

"Umma, it's your birthday! You spend it by lying on the grass and staring at the sky?"

I look up at Taeminnie to see him smiling down at me.

"Ah, I'm not in much of a mood for celebrating my birthday." I scoff.

"Your grandmother?"

"Hmm." I answer.

I feel him lie down on the grass beside me and hear him sigh.

"You know, she wouldn't want you to feel sad for her, Umma. Especially, on your birthday. I didn't know her too well but am I write?"

"I guess so, neh."

"I remember when my paternal grandmother died."

I turn my head to look at him. "Eh?"

"I was only six. I remembered screaming to my appa, 'Why? Why are they covering her in dirt, appa? She won't be able to breath! Why? Appa, tell me!' None of the pain from my cuts or the broken arm I got from my bicycle could compare to the pain I felt that day."

I leaned closer to him and rested my head on his chest.

"It was raining and I felt like the sky was crying with me. I was laying on the grass like now after they got done burying her. I looked up at the sky and actually talked to it. Silly, right? I said, 'Are yoy crying, too, sky?' And then it got foggy. I felt a sense of comfort then. I imagined that Grandma was a cloud in the sky that came down to give me a hug. See, Key-umma?"

He points to the cloud-filled blue sky above us.

"Your grandma is up there with mine somewhere. In the clouds. I can even imagine one of them having my Grandma's shape. It even looks like her!"

I laugh at his cuteness and wrap my arms around his waist.

"Thanks for this, Taeminnie."

"For what?" He returns my embrace.

"For a great birthday present." I smile.

 

****

Thanks for reading! ^^ Hahaha it's 5am and I'm writing this instead of sleeping. I needed comfort as cheesy as it is XD 

I hope it gave you some comfort too and that you enjoyed ^^

-T4L ♥