Let me take care of you

Expecting

"Mike.. you don't have to carry me."

 

"I know, I know, but the steps are wet, khon dii. I need to train my muscles anyway since I haven't been lifiting my dumbbells for ages."

 

They have just returned from the hospital. Aom was admitted because of hyperemesis gravidarum, or severe morning sickness experienced early in the pregnancy, and spent a week in the hospital. What started off with the occassional trip to the toilet became frequent and sporadic, sometimes Mike would find Aom curled up beside the toilet bowl at 2 in the morning. Mike had enough when one morning Aom lost consciousness hurrying to get up from the bed. 

 

"Mike! You're just making that up. You could've just held my hand while I walk, no need to put on a show, Mr. Muscle! Pim is always fawning over you when you do things like this, she thinks you're so hot and romantic or whatever."

 

"Jealous, are we?"

 

"What? No! She's like an overgrown starry-eyed teenager. Don't tell me you think her cute?!"

 

Mike chuckled at his wife's antic, she really was the most precious thing in his life. Stepping over the threshold, he gave Aom a small peck on the tip of her nose. His peppermint breath wafted into her nostrils and she sneezed violently. 

 

"Mike! I'm allergic to peppermint!"

 

Aom sneezed a second time, followed by a series of coughing fit. Seeing her flushed face, Mike gently released her to stand on her own and guided her to the sofa. Pim, who was discreetly watching the couple from her usual spot in the kitchen, snapped into action when Mike's deep voice ordered her to get water. Pim hurriedly took out a glass of water from the wooden cabinet and filled it with chilled water. She was searching for the coaster when Mike raised his voice, a tinge of panic betraying his calm face. 

 

"Pim! Where's the water?"

 

"Here it is! Drink up, Aom."

 

"T-thank you, Pim."

 

Mike gathered Aom's small frame and helped her sit upright. He placed a hand at the base of her skull, tilting her head towards the glass of water held in his grip. When Aom finished drinking, he placed the glass on the coffee table and gave Aom his full attention. Seeing his wife's tired but otherwise calm face, he gently pushed her back against the sofa, lifting her feet off the floor only to place it on his laps. He messaged her ankle and watched her face for any sign of discomfort. Watching their exchange, Pim felt a keen desire to experience the love Aom and Mike obviously have for one another. Truth be told, PIm has never held any feelings for Mike; it was only some sort of petty crush and nothing more. She always has a kick for making Aom jealous, even her husband agreed on this. Where Mike can be scarily possesive when it comes to Aom and other men, Aom displays a rather cute form of needy attachment to Mike when other women blatantly show their attraction toward him. Mike has once admitted to Pim that he actually enjoys Aom's rare moments of clinginess. Seeing the two settled in, Pim quitely walked out of the living room and headed toward the laundry room; there's much to do today!

 

//////////.//////////.//////////.//////////.//////////.//////////

 

"I'm sorry, Aom, I-I wasn't thinking."


"Mike, it's alright."

 

"No.. I shouldn't have been so careless. I totally forgot, I bought a packet of mints at the minimarket in the hospital. I.. I had a lot on my mind and didn't think twice when I picked up the peppermints. I'm sorry."

Aom smiled at the contrite look on her husband's face, she could feel his guilt oozing out of his very being and though she knew how dangerous it could be for her if ingested, Aom knew it was an honest mistake or human error, if you will, so she forgave her husband and reached out her hand towards him. 

"Baby, I'm fine. C'mere."

He let out a sigh and linked his fingers with hers, moving across the sofa to be nearer. He gently lifted her shoulders so he can lean back on the sofa and have her head resting on his laps. Aom moved their entwined hands to rest against her swollen belly. It wasn't very big yet, there were certain pieces of clothing that could actually hide the bump, but with her lying on her back and the tight shirt she has on, anyone can see that she was carrying a baby. She was particularly happy that her bump is large enough to be seen, she's always dreamed of being able to cradle her own belly ever since she saw her female relatives do the same. There was something so wonderful about being able to give life and carry a human being inside you;  Aom definitely placed motherhood high on her priorities in life. 

"How are you feeling?"

Aom glanced up at Mike and saw him gazing down at her with tenderness in his eyes. Aom reached up her free hand to cup his jaw.

"I'm fine now, Mike. Don't worry--"

"How can I not, khon dii? I can't.. I can't.. function if anything happens to you."

"I'm feeling great now, the baby's okay, and we're at home safe and sound. If you keep on worrying then I'll start worrying and you know how bad that is for the baby."

 

Mike let out a deep sigh. He knew he should stop with the needless worrying but doesn't she realize how much she means to him? How much she and the baby means to him? He was familiar with loneliness, good friends even with it, since a very young age. He's always been surrounded by people and yet constantly feel acute loneliness all the same. Being a star comes with its perks but people can forget how lonely you can be when everybody around you look at you as a commodity and not a human being. They look at you as this money machine, glorify you for your ability to garner fame and money, but never really see you for who you are. They pat you on the back and throw a "job well done!" once you get off stage but they leave the moment you start heading towards the changing room. Once you open the door, all your staff and personel offer you the space they think you need and walk out the door without a single glance in his direction. Then you're all alone. Repeat this tenths and hundrenths of times and you become good friends with loneliness. 

 

This all changed when he met Aom. 

 

For once he felt like he's not alone, not really. He still walks in empty changing rooms but the phone beeping off in his duffle bag will sound like music to his ears because he knew, without a doubt, that even though he's alone in that very room, Aom is waiting for him at home. 

 

"Hey, earth to Mike? Hello?"

 

"Huh- what? Sorry, what'd you say?"

 

Mike was pulled back to reality when he felt Aom's small hand patting his cheek. It seemed like he zoned out for some time. 

 

"I asked you if you're hungry because the baby is so I wanna eat!"

 

Mike chuckled softly at his wife's penchant for blaming the baby for every swing of her mood. He pinched her nose and got a slap on his hand in return. 

 

"Hey! Your kid's not gonna have any nose if you keep doing that!"

 

"Aom, don't say things like that!"

 

//////////.//////////.//////////.//////////.//////////.//////////

 

Mike nearly had a heart attack when he walked in on his wife balancing precariously on the edge of a stool. He dashed to her side and gripping her non-existent waist, swiftly lifted her off. 

 

Aom craned her neck when she felt strong hands grip her from behind. She was about to tell her husband to loosen the grip he has on her when she finally realized the black look he was giving her. 

 

"Wha--"

 

"What the hell were you thinking? No, don't answer that. Are you trying to break your neck?!"

 

Aom knew the instances when Mike was truly angry, and unfortunaly this was one of them. She tried to placate him by covering his hands with her own. Mike loosened his grip but didn't let go of her. 

 

"You could've injured yourself!"

 

"Mike, the stool wasn't even high. Look, it doesn't even reach my knee.. if I took a fall then it wouldn't have been high enough to hurt us."

 

"Why couldn't you just ask me or Pim to help you? Why do you have to be so difficult?"

 

He distractedly tightened his grip on her again and she winced at the force of the pressure. She took a deep breath and raised her head to look at him straight in the eyes.

 

"Mike."

 

That simple utterance seemed to do it because the haze of anger and worry clouding his eyes cleared away and he looked like himself again. He gathered Aom frame against him and held her tightly to him, as close as possible. Aom let out a small laugh in his embrace, his familiar scent engulfing her every senses. She hid her face against his chest and breathed him in. He pulled back a little so he can see her face, she stuck out her tongue when she was the ever-present worry in his face.

 

"I'm getting hungry again and it's not even noon yet. Get me some waffles and banana milkshake!"

 

Mike groaned aloud and buried his face against her neck, earning him a ticklish squeal from Aom.