Let it sink in

Expecting

Mike held the white item in his hands, a frown marring his handsome face. If the situation wasn’t life-altering, Aom would have laughed out loud at the the critical look on his face. He looked so serious, she’s never seen him this serious!

 

“There’s a plus sign.”

 

“Yes, there is.”

 

“A plus.”

 

“Yep, a plus.”

 

He didn’t say anything else. He looked at the plastic object with growing unease. First the grooves on his forehead, next the purse of his lips, and then the slow deliberate exhale. Aom started counting down the seconds before her husband broke out into a grin or a happy dance or something. But in its place was a sombre-looking Mike. Aom’s smile slightly faltered. He’s not happy?

 

They’ve been married for almost three years. She truly believed they were in a strong, committed relationship— nothing and no one can keep them apart. They were in it for the long run. Forever. But then why would he be unhappy about a child? Their own child? 

 

“Mike..”

 

“Just— just give me a moment.”

 

At least he spoke more than three words, she took it as an improvement. She was willing to wait a little longer for him to let the news sink in. He’s probably just shocked. She stood up from the chair she was sitting and walked around the table. She pulled out the chair next to Mike and sat down, her eyes never leaving his face. Mike was unaware of the move, he just kept staring at the item held limply in his hands. 

 

“Hey, Mike—“

 

“Do you know the first thing I thought when Sasha told me she’s pregnant with my child?”

 

Aom straightened in her her seat hearing her husband’s words. She tried her best from blurting out something inappropriate. She was tempted to, she had every intention to ask him outright what he meant by bringing up an ex-girlfriend right that moment but she forced herself to keep quiet. Aom sat with her hands between her legs, trying to stop herself from fidgeting. She was going to let Mike take his time. You never know with Mike, he can be so unpredictable. 

 

The moment I understood what she was trying to say, I immediately wanted one thing and one thing only. I wanted to put an end to it.”

 

It didn’t take Aom long to comprehend his words and she couldn’t stifle the gasp coming out of her slackened jaw. She saw Mike’s hand tremble slightly. 

 

“I didn’t want any complication, I didn’t want it to ruin my career. I didn’t want it to become exposed, if anyone knew it then I thought my career’s gonna be over. I didn’t want that. I- I just wanted it gone.”

 

Mike’s broad shoulders heaved with each breath. Aom hadn’t realized her fingers had drifted to her abdomen. She clutched the fabric of her nightshirt with one hand while the other covered . She felt the telltale signs of oncoming tears. Oh God, what am I supposed to do?

 

I’m such a terrible human being, aren’t I, Aom? How could anyone want that for their unborn child? I- I am disgusting for even—“

 

Aom vainly tried to suppress the sob making its way up . She bit her lips and pressed her knuckles against . Mike seemed to hear the sound and snapped his eyes towards her. The pregnancy test in his hands clattered noisily on their mahogany dinner table. He looked at her with pitiful eyes.

 

“Oh, Aom. Oh, sweetheart— no.”

 

Aom’s tears were flowing freely now and she strangled a sob. Mike’s hands worked fast to wipe the tears on her cheeks and chin. He tutted her and caressed her flushed face with shaky hands. He spoke with a raw voice, trying to get the words out as fast as possible.

 

“That was how I felt when I first found out about Mario. B-but when I saw that plus sign and the bright smile on your face, the happiness I felt was almost painful. You were having my baby—our baby— we were going to have a child of our own. Finally, finally, we’d have a small person with your face and my sense of humor, your crazy hair and my loud voice, your heart and your spirit. Oh God, Aom, I felt like my heart would explode.. for that one moment I-I  felt on top of the world!“

 

The tears were rushing now, the fingers on her face clumsily stopping the flow to no avail. Mike’s eyes held a sheen, they were red-rimmed and housed so much pain that Aom thought he was going to break into pieces right before her. With a sudden move of his arms, Mike hefted Aom into his laps and held her tightly. He hid his face against her neck and whispered brokenly.

 

“And then everything came crashing down when I remembered how I reacted all those years ago.  It was so contrasting, it was— the guilt was suffocating me, Aom, you need to understand that. Please.”

 

They held into each other desperately, trying to find solace in each other’s presence. When small hiccups replaced Aom’s loud sobs, and gentle hands brushed against Mike’s hair, the two finally released the stronghold against each other and looked into woeful eyes mirroring their own.  Mike caught sight of the hand laying on her belly. It might have only been a day but he could see the joy and pride shining in her eyes moments ago when she revealed her condition. 

 

Mike carefully moved Aom so she could return back to her seat. Then he pushed his chair back and got down on his knees. Aom, who was still letting out small hiccuping noise, raised the hand she had resting on her belly and placed them on top of Mike’s lowered head. 

 

“I’m sorry for making you cry. I absolutely hate it when you cry.”

 

His usual boisterous voice was replaced with a low, gravelly rasp.

 

“It’s okay.”

 

Aom’s small, gentle voice had the power to give Mike renewed strength and courage. He looked up into her eyes and whispered a heartfelt ‘thank you’. He lowered his head and rubbed his face affectionately against Aom’s belly. She giggled at his action and ran her fingers through the soft strands of his hair. He hummed appreciatively and in return peppered small kisses against her belly. When he felt that wasn’t good enough, he raised Aom’s nightshirt to reveal the pale expanse of her abdomen. With slightly trembling fingers he the area below her navel with utmost wonder. 

 

“There’s a baby in there?”

 

Aom laughed, both at the tickling sensation and his child-like amazement.

 

“Yes, sweetheart, our baby’s resting in there.”

 

Mike leant forward to pepper soft, gentle kisses against her belly. He gripped her hips and caressed her lower back, all the while his lips moved fervently across her abdomen, speaking sweet-nothings to a 3-week-old foetus. Aom wanted to pull him up so that she could kiss him right on the lips, but Mike was too absorbed showering his attention towards their unborn child. 

 

Aom smiled at the child-like glee in his face when he finally raised his head towards her. 

 

“I can’t wait. I can’t wait to see him.. or her. Whichever. Oh, Aom, you make me the happiest man!”