Stay

Easier to Run

 

Night after night, Jessica would allow Taeyeon to coddle her to sleep. Taeyeon didn’t know when the crying would stop and Jessica didn’t know when the nightmares would cease, but for nearly a week, the two found a strange symbiotic consistency in the routine they created.

Then there was a day when the looming question was asked, “Jessica do you have a family to return to?”

Taeyeon stopped mid bite into her toast as her eyes shifted from her father to Jessica. Noticing that the girl was very hesitant in answering, Taeyeon spoke up, “Dad can I have money so Jessica and I can go out for ice cream today? I am tired of spending break in the shop.”

Mr. Kim wanted an answer from Jessica but he knew when she grew silent that he wouldn’t get a single word out of her…in the first few days he was amazed when he heard Jessica squeak an ‘ok’ or ‘here?’ into their conversations together.

“Ah sure sweetie.” Reaching into his pocket he pulled out some money and handed it to his daughter, “Just be back by lunch girls.”

Taeyeon smiled as she took Jessica’s hand, “we will.”

Taeyeon was practically pulling Jessica out of the house until the two went into the streets. She didn’t even notice that she was still holding Jessica’s hand as she only thought about getting Jessica out of a conversation she knew the girl maybe wasn’t ready for, “Taeyeon?”

Surprised to hear her name come from Jessica, Taeyeon turned around immediately, “yes?” Looking down at their hands, Taeyeon got the hint and let go of their hands, “Sorry.”

Shyly rubbing the hand Taeyeon was holding, Jessica thought it was better to put it in her pocket, “It’s fine.”

Taeyeon also didn’t know what to do with her hand now that she wasn’t holding Jessica’s so she also placed both in her pants pockets, “So do you like ice cream? I kind of blurted out something I liked.”

Jessica nodded, “Chocolate.”

Taeyeon smiled happily, “Chocolate? I like chocolate too! I thought maybe you would like strawberry or something…”

Jessica shook her head, “Chocolate.”

The grin on Taeyeon’s face never faded as the approached the ice cream shop. Other than the topic of ice cream during their walk, Taeyeon also found out Jessica liked almost anything sweet, she didn’t like dogs as one that neared them almost made Jessica cling onto Taeyeon for dear life, and bugs…Jessica really hated any bugs. Maybe getting the girl out of the house was a good idea. Little by little she was getting to know the other girl.

Walking up to the counter, Taeyeon pulled out her money, “Two chocolate cones. Double scoop!”

The lady laughed at Taeyeon’s unusual enthusiasm before giving her change and the two chocolate cones she ordered. When Taeyeon turned around, she noticed Jessica had found a seat near the window, “Here you go. Chocolate.”

Taeyeon could have sworn this was the first time she saw the lost and distant look Jessica normally sported, vanished into one of pure joy. For a few seconds she got lost in those sparkling eyes, well that was until she felt the cold sting of ice cream dripping onto her fingers. Not wanting to waste her precious treat, the childish girl the ice cream off her hands before giving a long around the bottom of the cone.

Jessica was amazed at Taeyeon’s unusual ice cream eating habits. She wondered if the girl had any shame in with such long strides. Also, Taeyeon wasn’t the cleanest ice cream eater. There were drips of chocolate around her lips and out of instinct, Jessica reached for a napkin, “Ummm your mouth.”

Taeyeon looked up at the napkin offered to her before ducking down in embarrassment, “oh thank you Jessica.”

‘Breaking news: 17 year old gone missing. Jessica Jung was notified missing by her parents...’

Jessica looked up to the television in the ice cream parlor horrified. She felt her skin creeping with anxiety, “No...”

Taeyeon watched as Jessica’s face turned completely pale so she looked behind her to see Jessica’s picture on the TV but seeing the girl was not very pleased with being found, Taeyeon took her hand, “How about we go home?”

Jessica looked down at Taeyeon’s hand over hers, “I ah umm.”

Can she really trust her?

“Please? Come home with me?”

Jessica looked into those brown innocent eyes, “o-okay...”

Taeyeon flashed the girl a comforting smile before tossing the melted ice cream in the trash. Knowing her identity was exposed, Jessica put up her hood and walked closely to Taeyeon as they made the trip back to the Kim residence, “Mom we are home!”

Jessica looked at all the people in the store but she had a feeling they were looking at her, so Jessica bolted up the stairs. Taeyeon saw Jessica move up the stairs so she quickly followed as the Kims were very confused to what could have happened on the way to the ice cream shop.

When Taeyeon entered her room, she saw Jessica gathering what little belongings she had in the small backpack, “Jessica what are you doing?”

Jessica looked up for a second but resumed packing.

Frustrated, Taeyeon reached down to stop Jessica from packing her belongings, “I know you want to leave...but I am asking you to stay.”

Jessica again sought out Taeyeon’s eyes for the truth, “But you know.”

“So what if I know? So what if you ran away? So what if you need to rely on us? Is asking for help something you can’t do when you are in need?”

Jessica remained mum as she gripped her bag a bit harder.

“I know you have umm nightmares...is that why you ran from them?”

Jessica still was silent.

“If they are the reasons for your nightmares...I won’t let them find you but you need to stay here. I can only help you if you stay by my side.”

Jessica released her tight grip on the bag as she stared at Taeyeon. She thought about those that were supposed to protect her and didn’t, she thought about those who told her promises but didn’t keep them, and she thought about how those people were completely different than the girl who was standing before her.

“Okay.”

“Okay?”

Jessica nodded, “I won’t run but you have to promise.”

“I will promise you anything.”

“Please don’t let them get me.”

Taeyeon knew Jessica didn’t seem to like contact but she couldn’t stop herself from showing Jessica comfort in the form of a hug. She wanted to show Jessica that her arms were there to protect her and keep her safe so she held onto Jessica tight. She held onto her because she also didn’t want to lose Jessica to those nightmares that made the younger girl cry every night.

---------------------

Taeyeon didn’t know what to do. She looked at Jessica who fell asleep in her arms and who seemed to have a surprisingly peaceful sleep.

It was already an unusual situation of a stranger showing up at her door but now Taeyeon had to choose whether to obey the law and turn Jessica back into their family or tell the law they are wrong and keep this bruised and battered person safe? This was a huge burden on Taeyeon but she knew one thing, she wasn’t going to have Jessica face any of this alone and she knew that her parents would have to be both their pillars. Hopefully her parents could understand.

Tucking Jessica back under the covers, Taeyeon slowly got up from the floor and headed out to see her mother and father watching a TV show.

“Taeyeon dear what have you and Jessica been up to all day?”

Taeyeon looked down at her fingers before making her way over to an empty chair, “mom…dad…Jessica is…”

Mr. Kim sat up straight, “Go ahead Taeyeon we are listening.”

“Well I think her family abused her and that is why she ran away and doesn’t want to go back.” Taeyeon ranted quickly before looking up at her parents.

The Kim’s face remained emotionless as they observed the concern in Taeyeon’s eyes, “Sweetie…we kind of assumed that. Did Jessica tell you any more about her situation? We were hoping she would open up to you eventually.”

“What? You knew?” Taeyeon furrowed her eyebrows, “were you using me as bait?”

“Well yes and no. We just thought if we could help her, it would be better to know more about the situation. Are you worried we will turn her in?”

“Not exactly. So you wanted to help her too?”

“Of course. We took her in because it was clear she ran away for a reason and we thought it might be an adult the way she avoided your mother and I.”

Taeyeon raised her brows, “wow. You are smart.”

“Just observant. We really want to help her though. No child should be abused whether it is emotional or physical abuse.”

“So umm what should we do? Jessica seems very scared of her parents who are looking for her?”

“Try to get Jessica to open up to you more Taeyeon. Your mother and I will look into legal help for her with people we trust ok?”

“In the end…if we do help her and umm she is no longer with her parents what will happen to her?”

“I am sure she would be moved to different guardians.”

“What if they are also no good? She is nearly 19…almost an adult!”

The Kims laughed, “If there is too many problems finding a good guardian she can have your room. We were planning on kicking you out for college.”

“Hey!” Taeyeon looked at her parents with sharp eyes wondering to be mad or thankful at their offer, “Who says I wanted to move out?”

“You have no choice. We decided and we need the room for Jessica.”

Taeyeon ruffled her hair, “If for Jessica…I would be ok with that but I am not going far! I want to be there to take care or her too….she is my friend.”

Mr. and Mrs. Kim laughed at their daughter, “Of course but we would like if you visited for us too.”

Taeyeon crossed her arms, “No way. You were planning on getting rid of me so only Jessica.”

“Alright Taeyeon. Did you want to wake Jessica for dinner?”

Taeyeon looked up at the clock, “wow it is late already.”

“You were upstairs for a long time.”

“Ok I will get her.”

After Taeyeon left, Mr. Kim looked at his wife, “I think having Jessica around is a good thing.”

“Humm I think so too. Taeyeon has never shown this much passion for anything before.”

“It will be a hard battle getting Jessica help.” Mr. Kim took his wife’s hand.

“Yes but when have we ever had this much excitement in the house?”

Mr. Kim laughed, “True.”

--------------------------------

“Jessica…wake up we need to eat.”

Jessica slowly opened her eyes to the view of Taeyeon somehow glowing in the very dim room.

Already kneeling down, Taeyeon brushed her fingers over Jessica’s soft hands, “I know today must have scared you a bit, but I thought my parents could help us since they are adults.”

Jessica retreated into the corner in panic.

“No no they won’t turn you in. They want to help you…help us. Remember we are in this together?”

Jessica’s eyes softened out of fear and into assurance that Taeyeon would keep her word, “H-how will they help?”

Taeyeon sat down and crossed her legs while giving Jessica all her attention, “With the law. I know speaking about what happened to you is difficult but if you tell the right people, the law will take away your parents and they can’t ever see you again.”

“Is it really that easy? They could deny everything...” Jessica felt the fear creeping in once again.

“The system is very advanced these days. If you have signs of abuse...physical,” Taeyeon gulped at the fact that someone would even lay a harmful hand on Jessica who looked so fragile, “or mental abuse can be proven. There will be no escape even if they tell lies.”

Jessica scooted away from the wall to lean against Taeyeon’s bed while looking at Taeyeon with pleading eyes, “where would I go then? I have only known life in that home.”

“Umm well do you have other family?”

Jessica shook her head, “The family I am with now I don’t even consider my real family.”

Taeyeon looked at Jessica in shock...it did say that it was her parents that were looking after her right?

“My father died when I was an infant...I don’t even remember his face. Then a few years later, my mother remarried but 3 years after, passed after being sick for a year. My step-dad remarried but his new wife never accepted me as her daughter...really I wasn’t either of their daughters.”

“So you live with them as your guardians?”

Jessica nodded, “Around age 12 my stepfather took a l-liking to me...”

Taeyeon watched as Jessica wrapped her slim arms around her body. Without words, Taeyeon knew what the man was doing, “J-Jessica...”

With a sigh, Jessica continued, “he did things to me...things I am not comfortable with. The night before you met me, I was able to escape but I didn’t know what to do or where to go.”

“I am really glad you came to us Jessica.”

“I don’t think I deserve your kindness...I was planning on stealing...”

Taeyeon let out a small chuckle since Jessica wasn’t very subtle about her stealing methods, “Yea I know but that doesn’t matter. I know you wanted to take some stuff for survival and such. We are glad that you decided to just stay with us for a while instead.”

“Taeyeon...” Taeyeon’s eyes widened at the way Jessica softly said her name, “Your family already showed me so much kindness...I don’t think I could ever repay and now you want to use your money to help me even more...why?”

Taeyeon smiled gently at Jessica, “Does there need to be a reason to do the right thing? We do it because you need it and we are more than capable of helping you.”

“Isn’t this a burden to your family?”

Taeyeon shook her head, “No...never.”

 

~Nearly a month later~ *Trigger warning*

“Jessica I know it is hard to tell the jury what happened to you but can you explain where Mr. Kang touched you?”

Tired from the hours spent in hospitals, cross examinations by psychiatrists and doctors, Jessica looked up at her stepfather with baggy eyes, “H-he...”

“It is okay Jessica. Please tell the court what happened.”

Her eyes went past her stepfather and into the audience to see Taeyeon. Over the past weeks, Taeyeon was always by her side or waiting in rooms for her. She basically sacrificed her whole holiday to make sure she kept her promise to help Jessica. If she couldn’t tell her story now, she would be letting Taeyeon down...but she always was very ashamed. Ashamed that she allowed someone to violate her and use her body as if it was a plaything.

“He touched me here...” Jessica motioned to her s, “then he would take off his pants and ...until it got hard.” Taking her eyes off Taeyeon she chose to look at a spot on the floor, “then he would take my off...and use his fingers to touch...that area.”

“Can the defendant be more specific to what area was touched?”

“Objection! The girl has been through a lot...”

“Denied! Jessica please be more specific to the areas that were touched.”

Jessica looked up at the rather husky judge and gulped, “He touched in the v-l area...”

“Ok Jessica...then what would he do.”

“Sometimes...he would use his fingers or toys...before...before...”

“Before what Jessica?”

“Before he stuck his **** in me...”

“Jessica did you want him to do that to you?”

Tears were b around her eyes, “N-no...never....I was only 13 when he first started...I tried to resist but he would just tell me to be a good girl and if I was, he would finish faster.”

The trial continued after Jessica’s statement with the showing of evidence and Taeyeon could see the judgement would be clear. Although she could only see the back of Jessica’s head, she knew that the girl was ready to break any moment. Everyone wanted this trial to end.

“The defense rests.”

“Ok the jury will adjourn for a verdict.”

Taeyeon looked over to her father and mother who were holding their hands as if to give Jessica a silent prayer and then she used the remaining time to observe Jessica. Most of the time Jessica and her attorney would talk and discuss certain things but then Jessica looked back and their eyes locked. Although nervous about the outcome, Taeyeon gave Jessica a silent ‘everything will be all right,’ and she knew Jessica understood as the girl let out a soft smile. A smile saying that she knew Taeyeon was telling the truth.

“The jury has come to a decision.”

“Will the jury please address the court to your decision.”

“The jury finds Mr. Kang guilty of...” Taeyeon gasped in relief and joined hands with her father who creased his eyes in a wide smile. The Kims had spent their own money, time and commitment on this moment. With the verdict of guilty, they felt everything was going to be ok and that Jessica was worth every second of their struggle together.

“As for the guardianship of Jessica, we judge that her current residence with the Kangs is not suitable. Rather than putting her into foster care, we have discussed the fact that she is 17, old enough to make rational decisions, and has requested the residence of the Kims, to be fair. Until a separate trial concludes permanent guardianship of Jessica to the Kims, she will temporarily reside there.”

Taeyeon rolled her eyes back in pleasure. She felt like today she won the lottery. Jessica was getting justice and a place she could actually call home. Not waiting another second, Taeyeon nearly tackled Jessica into a giant bear hug, “Congrats!”

Jessica was still not used to skinship but with everything Taeyeon has done and the knowledge of the girl’s urge for affection, Jessica hugged back. She didn’t need to say thank you because those words wouldn’t be enough and the Kims didn’t need to hear it. They all had their own version of satisfaction with the result of the case. Everyone benefited...maybe some more than others?

-------------------------

Jessica sat on the bed smiling and giggling on occasion as Taeyeon explained the rules of her room.  According to the original owner of the room, Jessica was not to rearrange the furniture or change the color of the walls without discussion. Jessica was not allowed to snoop around for embarrassing pictures that may or may not be hidden. Also under no circumstances shall Jessica leave the house for more than one day without notifying the original room owner to where she is going.

“Why can’t I just leave?”

Taeyeon crossed her arms, “That is just irresponsible...”

“How so?”

“Well...” Taeyeon furrowed her eyebrows, “Do you really plan on going somewhere?”

“Not really but if I did have an urge to go away for a while, why do I need to tell you first? Wouldn’t it be great if you had the room to yourself again?”

“Well that isn’t the point! Mom and dad would worry...I would need to know the room is empty for some time and such...”

“Is that all?” Jessica arched her brow as she watched Taeyeon fidget.

“I would worry...too.”

Jessica smiled as she finished teasing Taeyeon enough to make the poor girl’s face red, “Don’t worry...I don’t plan on running away again. Not unless you come with.”

Taeyeon opened her eyes wide in shock, “Y-you would really want me to come with?”

Jessica giggled, “Of course...I think I am a bit lost without you.”

Taeyeon tried to conceal her grin but it just made her look rather erted instead as the grin turned out to be lopsided.

“Unless you don’t want to run away with me?”

Taeyeon gasped at the idea of running away together, “Oh God no...I mean...I think we could try at one time or another...and another.”

Jessica stood up from the bed and walked towards Taeyeon to whisper in her already very red ear, “Running away once was a great idea...I wonder what new beginnings would happen if we do it together.”

Unable to look at the girl who was dangerously close to her face, Taeyeon continued to smile happily, “I think only good things will happen.”

 

 

~END~

 

 

 


Author's Note

Wow it really took a loooooooong time for me to get this out. Day by day I would work on this final chapter but inspiration was not on my side. 

I hope you enjoyed and was worth the wait!