three

but you don't know
 

Someone asked him what home was and all he could think of were the stars on the tip of his tongue,

the flowers sprouting from his mouth, the roots entwined in the gaps between his fingers, the ocean echoing inside of his ribcage. 


 

Eunhyuk doesn’t come by Hyoyeon's studio very often anymore, and when he does, he’s in a complete mess, lying sprawled on the ground, paralysed, alone and insufferably quiet. He doesn’t say a word, just cans of beers around him to fill his hollow heart and he thinks the alcohol doesn’t taste so bitter anymore. Because he’s too tired from waiting for his shadow to return, and when he’s half-drunk, it suffocates his thoughts and clouds his mind’s clarity. 

 

He sits up and see his own reflection in the mirrored wall staring back at him, nothing more than a ruptured, lost gaze. He closes his eyes, breathes, hears the voice of his heart speak and paints his dream in vivid colours that never exist. The world is a background music as he imagines himself dancing on an extravagant stage, Donghae synchronised beside him, with thousands of spectators beneath his feet and his soul finds an open door. 

 

They sprawled out on the hard ground, laying side by side with only the sound of their uneven breathings and sweat pouring down their temples. When he looks over at Donghae's face from the reflection of the mirrored wall, his eyes are sparkling. He's laughing again, and suddenly all seems right beyond this cracked and imperfect world when his beautiful eyes meet his own ones. 

 

Eunhyuk is smiling too, but when he steps back to see the reflection in the mirrored wall, he's the only one in the practice room, his smile is still there, now tinged with sadness yet glowing all the same. 

 

Their separation wasn't anything loud or fierce, it was quiet and calm. We need to separate, Donghae tells him one day out of the blue. Eunhyuk doesn't understand and promise he will be a better husband than he already is. You are already a perfect husband, he continues, but we need space. He says something about Sehun already grown up and how it's the right time and then another about each other's freedom.

 

Eunhyuk tells him I'll be here for you but Donghae doesn’t seem to hear him, and he gives up with a grimace and a soft goodbye. All the way home, he chants to himself that he’s walking away because he's already happy. He's happy without him. 

 

He doesn't regret letting him go, but somehow he hopes, prays and even waits for another mircale that Donghae will return someday.  

 

"Found you!"

 

Eunhyuk stares at the beautiful man in front of him, and into his beautiful orbs. He notices those eyes are sparkling with tears, and also, he thinks they are sparkling with memories. There are so much swirling in his eyes - love, longing, ache and probably a hundred other emotions he couldn't list out.  

 

 

(Home is where the heart is.)