one

but you don't know
 
 

"Sometimes when things are falling apart they may actually be falling into place."


 

Hands stuffed into his coat’s pockets, he waits but the anticipated thing doesn’t happen. Trains after trains roll to a screeching stop at the station but the person he has been waiting for doesn’t exit and he thinks to himself if this is what he should be doing on a cold February morning.

 

He smiles to himself when he stops on a pictorial of her face, trailing his fingers down her soft features. 

 

"Sehun," a soft voice pipes up, "what are you doing here?"

 

He turns immediately at the mention of his name and his heart starts to race when he sees her, his smile candid as she waves at him. Still eternally pretty and carefree, she skips around like a dandelion, all sunshine and star dusts as she greets him with a voice of jasmine and chimes and honey le. He sees her like everyone else does – porcelain skin, doe eyed, endearing smiles, the same she’s always been. 

 

“How long has it been?” she exclaims, her pretty face full of bright smiles. 


Two years and five months, he answers in his head right away but doesn’t say it out loud. “Let’s see… a while?” is what he replies instead and he scratches the back of his neck awkwardly. It has always been a weird habit of his, and he hopes she doesn't notice or perhaps he hopes she does afterall.  
 

She stifles a laugh and her lips curve and her eyes form two little crescents and disappear into her smile,"since it's such a small world, how about we go get coffee and some of your favourite cinnamon buns together then?" 

 

He nods his head and pretends to cough as he tries to hide the obvious grin on his face with the back of his palm and steals a glance at her. Their eyes don't meet, but his heart skips beats. It’s something about the curve on her lips, the two dimples that appear on her rosy pink cheeks and the way her eyes sparkle just a bit brighter — how his heart speeds up and drops to his feet. 

 

It’s Im Yoona – there’s no other explanation for such beauty.

 

The bell chimes as they enter their favourite café, which is just a street down the station. He notices that she doesn't get her usual caramel machiaato or any of her favourite chocolate muffins. "Getting too old for sweet things now," she tells him casually. Sehun frowns. He wants to tell her otherwise, but he says nothing, and quietly puts her cup of hot latte and croissant on his tray with his iced mocha, cinammon buns and several muffins he has ordered for her. 

 

The two of them sits across each other and her eyes are glistening enthusiastically, "how are you doing with Krystal now?"

 

Sehun quirks his eyebrow at her question and replies with an icy nothing as he stares at her curious face. ​He, then, offers her one of the chocolate muffins, which she rejects politely.   

 

"She's pretty, a good dancer, has a nice personality, and as far as I remember," she continues with a look of bewilderment, "she was kind of interested in you too."

 

He plays with his straw and nods silently before taking in a mouthful of the whipped cream topped on his drink. 

 

"You said Krystal was pretty too," she asks, cocking her head to the side to get a better view of him, "did something happen?"

 

"Not really," he murmurs before touching the back of his neck, "it just didn't happen." 

 

There is silence between them now as she considers the answer for a moment before looking into the distance. He stares at her flawless profile when she takes a sip of her hot latte. There's a melancholic look in her eyes when she speaks again and he wonders why her words pierce through his heart a little. "That's such a pity. You two are so perfect for each other."

 

Their conversation carries on, and they talk about random amusing things, catching up and laughing over old stories, just like they used to. He says something about school and then another about the thesis he's researching on and he tells her "maybe you will be featured" before he bashfully blushes when she pushes him softly. Some of the things they talk about don't really make sense, but her company matters more to him, because she is after all an important person in his life. She tells him that she will be releasing her third travel book soon and she giggles when she says "you shoud buy at least fifty copies" in a commanding tone and forces him to make a pinky promise with her. She doesn't fail to notice how his breath seems to catch in that instant. 

 

"Thank you," she tells him later when they're about to part ways.

 

"For what?" 

 

"For keeping your promise."

 

He doesn't reply, just smile softly and doesn't say anything else because the charmed glow in Yoona's doe-like eyes is something he recognizes so well. Sometimes, he wonders when he will see her again, perhaps in a couple of months or perhaps several years later, but whenever she returns, he will be the first person waiting for her.

 

 

 

(Always)