bonus iii | cold shoulder, warm heart

the last train home (merry christmas)

a/n: whoops i'm sorry.  roast me in the comments, i am the worst. take away my keyboard.

 

//bonus: cold shoulder, warm heart//

Hakyeon isn’t mad.

He is not.

Okay, Hakyeon is the teeniest, tiniest bit mad.  Trust him, trust him, he has tried to talk himself out of being angry with Taekwoon, repeatedly.  He knows that it is the littlest bit petty to be angry over this, but honestly, he thinks he has a right to be petty.

He gets it; he got it when Taekwoon first suggested putting off the announcement of finding his soulmate.  Of course, he had only expected to put it off until the fuss of the holidays had come and gone.

This, this is getting ridiculous though.  Four months and it feels like Hakyeon has a part time soulmate that is ashamed of him.  Four months into Wonshik and Jaehwan, they were living together and constantly barring Hakyeon from the apartment so as to spend some “quality time” together.  All that Hakyeon has are text messages and the occasional video call.

He can barely remember the last time that they kissed.  And he really, really, really likes kissing Taekwoon.

In theory, dating a celebrity-idol type is great.  In practice?  All of his coworkers think that he hasn’t actually met Taekwoon and has lost his mind from loneliness.  His parents are pressing him, asking when they’ll meet their future son-in-law.  He can’t tell anyone that Taekwoon is Leo because they’ll think he’s crazy.  Basically, only four people know that Hakyeon and Taekwoon are soulmates, and Hakyeon feels like the number should be much, much higher.

Being mad at Taekwoon does not come naturally, and it is constant battle between asking how his day is going and the silent treatment.  However, it just makes him feel crappy that Taekwoon isn’t shouting from the rooftops in joy, the way that Hakyeon wants to.  He doesn't like the idea that he might be more invested in their relationship than Taekwoon.  They should be equal partners in this particular investment; unless the universe messed and assigned them the wrong soulmates.  That thought feels wrong in Hakyeon's brain.

When Hakyeon’s phone starts buzzing and he sees Taekwoon’s face on the screen, Hakyeon flips his phone over with a frown.  He is going to ignore Taekwoon until his soulmate figures out what has him so annoyed.

Jaehwan gives him an odd look over his cup of coffee.  He taps the outside of the cup with the pad of his finger before setting it down.  He clicks his tongue and asks, “What gives?”

Hakyeon blinks innocently, “What ever do you mean?”

“You barely get to see Taekwoon and now you’re ignoring his calls?”

“It’s not just his calls that I’m ignoring,” Hakyeon remarks in a clipped manner.

“How badly did he mess up to deserve this?”  Jaehwan asks, “I haven’t done this to Wonshik since he forgot to pick me up at the airport and that lasted all of three seconds.”

“Well, as far as I know, Wonshik has never kept you a secret.”  Hakyeon bitterly murmurs.

“Is that what this is about?”

“Don’t use that tone of voice at me,” Hakyeon whines.  “Am I something to be ashamed of?  Am I really that cruddy of a soulmate that he can’t even say he’s found me?”

Jaehwan takes another sip of coffee before refuting his complaint, “Hakyeon, I don’t think that’s what it’s about.”

“Then he can come explain it to me in person.”

“Hakyeon...” Jaehwan drags on.  Jaehwan should know better; Hakyeon is exceptionally stubborn and this isn’t an argument that Jaehwan will win.

He glances at his phone.

taekwoon♥︎: are you too busy to pick up?

taekwoon♥︎: work hard.

taekwoon♥︎: I love you.

He resists the urge to respond.  Taekwoon is being unfair; Hakyeon is in the middle of being mad at him and there he goes, making his heart work overtime.

 

 

After an entire week of not responding to any of Taekwoon’s attempts at communication, Hakyeon is a tad miserable.  It is supremely difficult to ignore a soulmate, as it turns out.  He reads every single message, and Taekwoon gives no inclination in his messages that he thinks Hakyeon might be the tiniest bit angry.  He just continues texting relevant updates like where he’ll be promoting and that he hopes Hakyeon will watch despite his busy schedule.  He says that he loves Hakyeon every single night and hopes that work isn’t wearing him down at all.

Hakyeon watches all of Taekwoon’s stages and interviews.  Leo still fails to mention that he has found his soulmate.  Hakyeon doesn’t even care if Taekwoon mentions his name; he just wants everyone to stop hoping Taekwoon might be theirs.  It would only take four words: I found my soulmate.  Nothing more, nothing less, it would take him five seconds and melt away all of Hakyeon’s anger.

It’s around week two of Hakyeon ignoring him when Taekwoon finally says something.

taekwoon♥︎: is everything okay?

taekwoon♥︎: Sanghyuk thinks you might be mad at me.  you’re not, right?

taekwoon♥︎: you would tell me if something was bothering you.

taekwoon♥︎: Hakyeon?

you: I don’t know LEO, am I mad at you?

taekwoon♥︎: leo?

After that Hakyeon doesn’t reply.  Taekwoon doesn’t say anything either.  Hakyeon has waited this long for Taekwoon to figure it out; he can wait a little longer.

 

 

Just before midnight, Hakyeon gets a text message, and he hopes that Taekwoon has finally figured it out.  He wants to stop being mad at him yesterday.

Han Sanghyuk:  Taekwoon was in a car accident

Han Sanghyuk has sent you his location.

If there was ever a phrase that could trigger a panic attack for Hakyeon, that would be it.  His chest tightens, and Hakyeon promptly begins to freak out.  Sanghyuk sent him the address of an emergency room.  His brain keeps supplying terrifying scenarios that get increasingly worse the longer that Hakyeon is left with the thought.  Car accident plus hospital equals something sinister in Hakyeon’s mind.

He barely manages to put on matching shoes.  All that he can think about the entire time that he drives to the hospital is that he’s been giving Taekwoon the cold shoulder for the past few weeks for such a ridiculous reason.  What if Taekwoon dies from injuries sustained from this car accident and thinks that Hakyeon doesn’t love him?

Hakyeon feels like such a tool.

He sprints from the hospital parking lot into the emergency room and searches frantically until his eyes land on Sanghyuk, who is in the middle of taking a selfie. It doesn’t register as odd until Hakyeon is in front of him and sees Taekwoon sitting on a hospital bed, completely fine.

He temporarily forgets that he’s in the middle of giving Taekwoon a cold shoulder, and sighs in relief,  “You’re okay.”

Taekwoon gives him his confused kitten look.  He doesn’t seem to understand why Hakyeon is out of breath and relieved.

It’s at that moment that Hakyeon realizes:  “He’s completely fine.  Han Sanghyuk, he is completely fine.  Not even a scratch.”

Sanghyuk offers a -eating smile, “The doctor has yet to examine him; we don’t know that he’s completely fine.”

Hakyeon yanks the curtain partition forward so that he doesn’t have to look at Taekwoon.  “What kind of car accident?”

“Hakyeon?” Taekwoon calls from the other side of the curtain, pulling it back so that he can see his soulmate again.

“Fender bender,” Sanghyuk replies, as Hakyeon yanks the curtain forward again.

“Cha Hakyeon.”  Taekwoon says again, snapping the curtain back.

“Jung Taekwoon,” he sternly states, moving the curtain once more.

Sanghyuk huffs in annoyance, “You two are ridiculous.  I don’t know why you’re mad at him, and I don’t know why I was the one who informed of Taekwoon’s car accident rather than the man himself.  Resolve whatever is going on right now.”

“I would if I knew what was wrong,” Taekwoon whines.

This time it’s Hakyeon who yanks the curtain back, “Excuse me?  I’ve been giving you the cold shoulder for three weeks and you still haven’t figured it out?  And you were perfectly capable of telling me yourself that you had a minor car accident and failed to tell me?”

Taekwoon frowns, slouching his shoulders, “I didn’t want you to worry.”

“How’d that work out for you?”

“Hakyeon, could you please tell me what I did wrong?” Taekwoon asks, taking Hakyeon’s hand and lacing their fingers together.

He huffs, “By the time that Jaehwan and Wonshik reached month one, they were cohabitating.  We’re almost at month five and most of the world is still under the impression that you are as single as they come.”

“Hakyeon.” Taekwoon mumbles, “As soon as I tell everyone that I found you, I have to start sharing.  I want you to stay all mine.”

Hakyeon softens; actually, that’s quite an understatement, Hakyeon melts.  All of his anger dissipates, and he takes a seat next to Taekwoon, “I want to go on a real date with fancy wine and candlelight.  I want to be able to go on one of those walking dates where we hold hands and go in and out of shops and take dorky photos.  For that, I need my soulmate.”

“You want to date me?” Taekwoon asks while blushing.

“Are you really being like this?”  Hakyeon scoffs, turning away from Taekwoon.

“Hakyeon,” Taekwoon whines.

“Wha—“ Hakyeon does not finish his sentence or even his thought.  Taekwoon kisses him mid-word, and boy oh boy, did Hakyeon miss this.

Hakyeon hears some remark of disgust or something like that from Sanghyuk, but he has better things to focus on.

(The doctor ends up interrupting them with a surprised, “Oh! My… oh.”)

 

 

“Do you… you don’t want to move in with me do you?”  Taekwoon asks outside of Hakyeon’s car.

“Do you want me to?”

Taekwoon blushes, scratching the back of his head, “Well I am​ going to tell the world that you're my soulmate.  And I kind of want to see you all the time, so um, yeah.  I want you to move in with me.”

“Yes.”

“Really?”

Hakyeon rolls his eyes, “Well, I mean, I love you, and we’re meant to be, so why waste time?”

Taekwoon presses his lips against Hakyeon’s again.  Hakyeon returns only one before saying, “If we keep kissing, your lips will get swollen.”

“I don’t care,” he says leaning in with eyes focused on Hakyeon’s lips.  “As long as you’re the reason they’re swollen.”

 

 

a/n: i'm sorry.  i just apologize.  this is just the worst and i could be doing other things.  but here i am.  i need to this universe go.  (but hakyeon is such a mom, lecturing sanghyuk and taekwoon.)

it won't happen again.  wHAT do you mean i kind of want to write hyuk/hongbin? leave.

i really need to let this fic + universe go.
halp me.