Chapter 1

One Twin Too Many

"Is he watching me?" Seohyun whispered to her twin sister, Taeyeon. They stood in the doorway of Miss Sandara's seventh-grade classroom after lunch. "Is who watching you?" Taeyeon asked in a normal voice. "Shh! Not so loud!" Seohyun scolded her sister. "Don't let him hear you. Sehun, that's who"

Taeyeon rolled her eyes and tugged on her basketball jersey. "You've had a crush on him for a long time," she said.

"Yeah, tomorrow's our one-month anniversary," Seohyun answered dreamily. "Anniversary?" Taeyeon said. "Since when? I didn't know you two were really a couple."

"We're not, yet," Seohyun admitted. "But I've been thinking about going out with him for a whole month! Is he watching me?"

"No," Taeyeon said. "He's trying to put a spitball down Baekhyun's shirt. Why?"

"I've got a mayonnaise stain on my dress," Seohyun explained. "I don't want him to see it, so I've been waiting for the right moment to walk back to my seat."

Taeyeon squinted hard at her sister's dress. Her eyes popped open in amazement.

"You're worried about a tiny little mayonnaise blop?" she asked. "It's the size of pinhead!" Seohyun nodded. "Isn't it awful? I'm never bringing tuna salad for lunch again," she vowed. "It's ruining my life!"

"Well," Taeyeon said, shaking her head, "I don't exactly think a guy with a spitball in his hands is going to be too grossed out by a mayo stain. But if you want to slip past him without being seen, this is your chance. Go for it!"

"Thanks!" Seohyun said as she hurried to her seat. As soon as Seohyun sat down, Miss Sandara walked into the room.

"Class. Quiet down, please," Miss Sandara began. "You'll have plenty of time to talk in just a little while when you're done choosing partners for your history projects."

Partners? Seohyun thought. Did she say partners? As in working together? Side by side?

I want Sehun! Seohyun squeezed her lips shut tightly so she wouldn't blurt out the words. Two rows behind Seohyun, Chanyeol raised his hand. "Why can't we have partners for the history test?" he called out.

Everyone laughed, except Miss Sandara.

"Chanyeol, maybe you and I should be partners for the history test next week," Miss Sandara joked. "Would you like to sit right here, next to me, while you take it?"

Chanyeol blushed and swallowed hard. "Uh, why?" he shot back. "Do you want to copy my answers?" Everyone laughed again. Even Miss Sandara. "No, thank you, Chanyeol," Miss Sandara answered. "Not after seeing the grade you got on your last test!"

Seohyun turned around to check out Chanyeol's face. He was laughing, too. "Now, class, I've put all of your names on slips of paper. And I've put half of the papers in this hat," Miss Sandara announced. She held up a black bowler hat that usually sat on a high shelf in the corner of the room. "But I need a second hat for the rest of the names. Taeyeon?"

Seohyun whirled around again, this time to check out her sister. Yes, she was wearing her basketball cap today. It was firmly planted, backward on her blond head.

That's one of the ways that everyone at school can tell us apart, Seohyun thought. By how we dress.

Taeyeon was usually in jeans, pullover shirts and a basketball cap. Seohyun dressed in every cool outfit she could lay her hands on. Clothes were Seohyun's thing.

"Do you want my cap?" Taeyeon asked. "Just for a moment, if you please," Miss Sandara replied. "Sure." Taeyeon nodded, taking her hat up to the front of the classroom. Seohyun held her breath, wondering if Taeyeon would absolutely die of embarrasment when people saw how squashed flat her hair was from wearing the hat all day.

Nope! Seohyun realized. Her sister didn't care about bad hair at all!

Seohyun fixed one of the hair clips in her own blond hair, just to make it more perfect. Miss Sandara smiled a thank you at Taeyeon. Then, she dumped the second pile of names into the cheerleading cap. "All right, class," Miss Sandara announced. "Here we go!"

Without looking down, she plunged one hand into the black bowler and pulled out a name. She stuck her other hand into Taeyeon's hat and pulled out another name.

"Here are the first two partners for the history project," Miss Sandara announced. "Im Yoona, your partner is....Choi Sooyoung! All right, girls. You may get together quietly, in the back of the room, and begin deciding what you want to do for your project."

"And the next pair names is......" Seohyun and Sehun! Taeyeon silently prayed. Seohyun and Sehun. Seohyun and Sehun. Seohyun and Sehun.

She said it over and over in her head, like a chant. It sounded so good.

If I wish hard enough, Seohyun thought....

"Oh Sehun and...." Miss Sandara plunged her hand into the other hat. "Taeyeon."

What? Seohyun felt her face getting hot. That couldn't be right. What was Miss Sandara trying to do? Break up a beautiful relationship before it even got off the ground? But today's our one-month anniversary! Seohyun almost blurted out.

It's a mistake, Seohyun thought. But she didn't know what to do about it. Miss Sandara began calling out other names. And then Seohyun heard her own name.

"Seohyun and...." Miss Sandara took a slip of paper out of the other hat. "Jonghyun."

Ew! Seohyun thought. Yuck! How could she possibly do a history project with him? Jonghyun was so so uncool. He had thick glassed and greasy hair. He had a spitball down his back and he probabyly didn't even know it yet!

A moment later Jonghyun appeared in front of Seohyun's seat. "Hi," he mumbled. "I, uh, guess we'll be working together. What do you want to do our project on? I was thinking of a forty page research paper on the Gettysburg Address."

"I had a different address in mind," Seohyun mumbled under her breath. "Oh Sehun's address!"

"What?" Jonghyun asked. "Uh, nothing," Seohyun replied glumly. She stared across the room, toward the windows. Taeyeon and Sehun were hanging out, talking about something.

If Seohyun knew her sister, there weren't talking about the history project. Seohyun didn't worry too much about grades. They were probably talking about basketball.

Suddenly Seohyun had an idea. A brilliant idea.

"Wait right here," she told Jonghyun. She gripped him by the shoulders and forced him to sit down in her seat. Then she dashed across the crowded classroom. She headed straight for her sister.

"Taeyeon," Seohyun said, interrupting Taeyeon and Sehun's conversation. "Can I see you for a minute? Privately? I, uh, need to borrow something from you."

"Sure," Taeyeon agreed. She followed her sister to a corner of the room. "What do you want to borrow?"

"Your partner," Seohyun answered softly. "I want Oh Sehun!"