Good Morning

Spotless Mind

A march-themed instrumental woke up the hotel followed by the lyrics:

"Happy-happy Anniversary. With the deaths of many you still stand today. You should be happy by now but remember it won't last.

"Shut down the sound system." Yoo Mi ordered. It has been 30 minutes of the song prank already.

"We apologize General Manager. Our control system has been hacked." The head IT informed Yoo Mi. Her hands were formed into fists now. Her facial expression unreadable as she walked out of the control room, on her mind the only person who would do this prank.

"It must be the ghost of the late chairman. He likes to play computer games, maybe he hacked the-" The hotel staff stopped upon seeing Yoo Mi.

"General Manager, the late Chairman's computer was found open." Choi Tae Joon, the team leader of the supervisors and considered as Yoo Mi's right hand informed her as soon as he found her.

"Go back to your posts." Yoo Mi commanded.

The song prank still playing in the background, she walked towards Joon Young's room.

"So he started already." Yoo Mi thought as her pace increased. She did not knock or announce her arrival. She just swiped the General Manager card, the key to every room in the hotel, the power that only belongs to her.

"Sir, wake-up! Here is your jjangmyeon." She heard Shindong calling out Joon Young. The sight of Joon Young lying down asleep, his body covered with blanket welcomed her.

"General Manager!" Shindong said nervously.

"What's going on?" Yoo Mi asked as calmly as she could.                                               

"He's been demanding peculiar things such as a take-out jjangmyeon from a restaurant outside the hotel and a specific brand of soju that could be bought only in convenience stores but when I got here with his requests he was back to sleep." Shindong explained.

"What's all the noise about?" Joon Young inquired as he yawned and stretched.

"Yo Noona! What is so good about the morning that you visit me during business hours?" Joon Young lazily fixed his eyes on Yoo Mi.

"And am I hearing an anniversary jingle right now?" Joon Young added which made Yoo Mi close her eyes and turn away from him. But as the song prank stopped, the wind blew from the open window which made Yoo Mi face Joon Young again.

"Why?" Joon Young asked as he scratched his hair.

"Just go on." She smirked as she noticed the brownish stains on the white bed linen and a hidden laptop under the other pillow.

She smiled surprising both Joon Young and Shindong before going out of the room.

By noon, the hotel IT specialists have successfully removed the prank song and replaced it with classical instrumentals in joyous tone in line with the 50th Anniversary of Mercutio. Ornaments have been strategically placed throughout the hotel, flowers specifically grown for the occasion are in full bloom and the light show for the Grand Mercutio Ball are being set up. And the remaining furnitures and keepsakes on the late Chairman's office are being packed and waiting to be disposed either on the underground stock room or the garbage truck outside the hotel.

" What do you think are you doing?" Joon Young burst inside the office, demanding an explanation. "How dare you touch my brother's things."

"This is the General Manager's order, to dispose the late Chairman Joon Ha's things on the 100th day of his death." Tae Joon informed Joon Young. Tae Joon then turned to the table to shut the laptop that has been found earlier during the song prank. Picture of a teenage Joon Young and Joon Ha with the sea of Jeju behind them served as the screensaver.

"Stop." Joon Young stared at the screensaver while Tae Joon turned to him again.

"STOP!!!" Joon Young said in a louder manner. He then turned to the rest of the housekeeping staff. "Don't touch anything. Don't move an inch."

He then stormed out of the room. Fists clenched he went to the other end of the hall, the General Manager's office.

He did not knock. He found Yoo Mi examining some folders. Yoo Mi raised her left eye brow upon seeing him.

"Why did you do that?" Joon Young asked as soon as he slammed his hands on the table, fury on his eyes.

"What are you talking about?" Yoo Mi feigned innocence, her eyes still on the files.

"Why do you like to erase every trace of my brother that much?"' Joon Young's gaze still on Yoo Mi.

"Joon Young-ssi, this is what they call an eye for an eye, tooth for a tooth." Yoo Mi chuckled. "This is my gratitude to the anniversary gift you have given me."

"You told me you are here to make me fall." Standing up, Yoo Mi leaned forward, now face to face with Joon Young. "I say, I am not afraid of heights."

"General Manager, the clean up is finished." Tae Joon's voice from the phone echoed through the silence.

"Jung Yoo Mi!" Joon Young yelled.

"For every prank, for every provocation you will do, I will answer back equally. So better stop your childishness now." Yoo Mi yelled.

Joon Young walked out of the office. Yoo Mi then scattered the papers on her table, revealing photos and information about Joon Young.

Yoo Mi glanced at the disarrayed documents and pound her hands on the table as she saw photos of Joon Young laughing while playing the guitar, partying with friends and rock climbing.

Joon Young slammed his clenched fist on the nearest wall at the sight of the housekeeping staff entering the elevator to transport the last of his brother's things.

He the wall facing the elevator and saw a familiar painting. He walked clumsily towards it and gently touched the glass that protects it from dust and humidity. It was a collaboration artwork with his brother before he left to go to US to study. They painted each other on which they were sitting side by side with flowers and plants at the background. Joon Young closed his eyes and imagined their secret place in the hotel where they could be themselves and a tear dropped to his cheek.