Nine

The Lotus
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter Nine

Lost

 

Yeonhwa was with Yifan in his office, helping him review official documents to at least attempt to lessen his workload when a guard requested to enter the room. As Yifan granted him the permission, the guard stepped into the room with a solemn expression, carrying a scroll.

 

“Your Majesty, I brought with me an urgent message from Korea, addressed to Her Highness, The Empress.” he said, one knee on the floor as he bowed to the royal couple, his hands lifting the scroll towards them.

 

Yeonhwa threw a worried glance at Yifan before she stepped towards the guard and taking the scroll from him. Yifan allowed the guard to leave before turning to his wife, who slowly opened the scroll with trembling hands. After reading the contents of the scroll, she let out a small gasp before looking at Yifan, tears welling up in her dark eyes.

Instinctively, Yifan pulled her into his arms before reading the scroll himself. His eyebrows furrowed when he found out that the message was from Kim Joonmyeon, and it mentioned Yeonhwa’s father was terribly sick. With a frown, he put the scroll on the table and called for Luhan.

 

“Yes, Your Majesty?” inquired Luhan, his eyes full of worry.

“Prepare a ship to Korea immediately. The Empress and I intend to visit my father-in-law as soon as possible.” ordered Yifan.

“It will be arranged straightaway, Your Majesty.” replied Luhan, before he quickly left to make the arrangements.

Yifan pulled the weeping Yeonhwa closer to his chest, kissing her hair repeatedly.

“Shh, don’t cry, sweetheart. It will be okay.” he whispered over and over to comfort his perturbed wife.

 

-

 

As soon as they reached Korea, disregarding the formalities to greet the King, the royal couple immediately went to Yeonhwa’s old residence. They were greeted by Joonmyeon, who seemed surprised by their unannounced appearance.

 

“Your Majesty, Your Highness, it is an honour to have you in this humble abode.” said Joonmyeon, bowing to them.

“Joonmyeon, where’s father? I need to see him.” exclaimed Yeonhwa, completely ignoring Joonmyeon’s attempt to act professional.

“He’s resting in his chamber. Would you like me to take you there?” he asked.

Without even replying, Yeonhwa rushed to her father’s chamber, leaving Joonmyeon with Yifan. Joonmyeon turned to the Emperor who stared back at him.

“I apologize for my Empress’ hastiness. She is extremely worried for her father’s health.” he said, his voice oozing with authority.

“No offence is taken, Your Majesty. I completely understand.” replied Joonmyeon, in the same tone.

 

It was understandable that there was an air of hostility between them, seeing as they were both in love with the same woman. The wound of having his fiancée stolen the Emperor was still fresh in Joonmyeon’s heart, even though a year had passed. The worst part of it all was that he could not have done anything to change it. Meanwhile, on Yifan’s part, even though he knew he had Yeonhwa’s heart, he still could not help but feel insecure being around Joonmyeon. After all, Joonmyeon was Yeonhwa’s first love. What if seeing him again rekindled the old flame and Yeonhwa decided to leave him? He knew that if that happened, he would willingly let Yeonhwa go as long as she was happy, but that did not mean that it did not hurt. Even the thought of it tormented his whole being.

 

-

 

When Yeonhwa entered the room, the first thing she noticed was how frail her father looked, laying underneath the silk blanked that covered most of his body. His face looked gaunt and he looked like he was struggling even to breathe. Yeonhwa immediately dropped to her knees and dragged herself next to her beloved father. Her hands gently took his cold, trembling one before planting a soft kiss at the back of it.

Han Deoksoo’s eyes slowly opened to see his beautiful daughter, looking even more beautiful than he remembered. He paused for a moment, wondering if he was just dreaming.

 

“Yeonhwa? My child, is that you?” he asked, his voice barely a whisper.

“Yes, father, it’s me. I’m here.” Yeonhwa replied, holding back the tears that were threatening to fall any moment.

“My, my, Yeonhwa. How beautiful you’ve become. You look just like your mother.” he murmured, a soft smile forming on his chapped lips.

“What about you? I thought I told you to take care of yourself.” said Yeonhwa jokingly.

“Your father is old, my girl. His time in this world has almost come to an end.” her father mumbled, still smiling at her.

“Don’t say that! I’m here now, I’ll take care of you, I promise.” Yeonhwa exclaimed.

 

Han Deoksoo let out an airy laugh. He loved the fact that Yeonhwa has not changed one bit since he last saw her a little over a year ago; that she was still his little Yeonhwa. He did notice that she looked a bit radiant now, so he could not help but wonder how life was like for her at the Palace in China.

 

“My dear girl, is there anything troubling you back at home?” he asked.

“No, father. I’m very content with life in the palace.”

“Is the Emperor treating you well? Are you happy?” he asked again.

So

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter