Seventeen

The Lotus
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter Seventeen

His Return

 

 

In her newly gained position as The Empress of China, Yeonhwa began her reign by ordering the arrest of all those associated with Huang Zitao’s rebellion. As a result, 32 men were caught, all found guilty of betraying Emperor Wu Yifan. Those who were directly involved in the rebellion were executed immediately, while those who were following orders stripped off their titles and ordered to live as a commoner, outside of the capital, never to be involved in palace affairs ever again. While majority of the Royal Court agreed and supported The Empress’ decision, some scholars objected to it. They were of the opinion that a woman should not be making decisions for the state. These were the very same people who wanted to take Yeonhwa down. Yeonhwa retorted that in whichever case, she was still the Empress, and second-in-command after The Emperor, so like it or not, they had to obey her.

Yeonhwa’s sudden rise had caused both havoc among the scholars in The Royal Court, but there was no doubt that she carried her position well, and things were slowly falling back into place. The only thing missing now was Wu Yifan. Yeonhwa had issued an order to search the land for any trace of Wu Yifan, so the imperial soldiers had searched high and low for the Emperor. Yeonhwa was very persistent on finding Yifan, so when General Chen requested an audience with her to update on the search, she immediately let him into the study despite the mountains of work on the desk waiting for her.

 

“What is it, General Chen?” she inquired, her eyes full of hope, only to be met with a disappointed sigh.

“Forgive me, Your Highness. There is still no trace of His Majesty,” replied General Chen.

 

Luhan watched with sympathy Yeonhwa’s shoulders drop as she turned around, trying to hide her tears from the soldier. Yeonhwa had tried so strong to remain strong for the country, for Yifan, it seems that she had lost the spirit that was present when she first entered the palace.

 

“Very well then. Please continue the search.” she said, her back still turned to the General.

“Your Highness, if I may suggest, I don’t think we’ll find him.” he replied.

Yeonhwa’s head whipped back at him, her eyes full of rage.

“And why not?” she asked, through gritted teeth.

“Your Highness, it’s been a month since we started the search. We’ve looked over every inch of the land. I… I don’t think the chances of him being alive is…”

 

General Chen was startled when an inkbottle smashed right in front of him. Yeonhwa had thrown it in her fury, her petite body heaved with deep breaths and her eyes burning holes into him.

 

“HOW DARE YOU! HOW DARE YOU ASSUME THAT MY HUSBAND IS DEAD WHEN I KNOW VERY WELL THAT HE’S STILL ALIVE AND BREATHING!” she yelled.

 

She began throwing things around the room, screaming bloody murder. Luhan immediately ordered everyone, including the general, eunuchs and palace maids, to vacate the room.

 

“YIFAN IS STILL ALIVE! I KNOW IT! HE’S OUT THERE SOMEWHERE AND WE NEED TO FIND HIM! WE NEED TO SAVE HIM!”

“Your Highness… Please calm down…” pleaded Luhan.

 

Yeonhwa fell onto her knees and Luhan rushed to her side. It did not take long before her anger was replaced by extreme sadness and guilt, and she began sobbing. Disregarding her position as a royal, Luhan immediately pulled her into his arms, because he knew that she needed to be comforted. While she may act tough and strong, she’s only as frag

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter