Final

The Book Keepers

Hyuk looked down at the drink in his hand, questioning if he really should finish it or not.

He felt tired.

But then that wasn’t very odd all things considered.

Hyuk was as old as time, so he was entitled to feeling a bit old sometimes. That was when Ken told him anyway.

You’re a ing grandpa, the younger always said when they got to talking about Hyuk feeling old, you have every right to feel like it.

Hyuk’s brother Leo wasn’t nearly so understanding, but then that was just Leo. Always focused on work, on their job, and always worried that they would fail somehow. Feeling old shouldn’t be a problem in his mind. Heck, feeling nothing at all wasn’t a problem if you asked Leo

That…..didn’t really help Hyuk or his emotional state.

“Are you going to finish that?” the bartender asked, “Or do you want me to take it away?”

“I’ll finish it,” Hyuk said, glancing up and giving the young man a small smile, “just…..taking my time and thinking.”

“Girl problems?” the bartender asked, “Or family trouble? Maybe job loss?”

“None of the above,” Hyuk laughed, “but I’m guessing you get a lot of people in here with those kinds of problems?”

“Pretty much,” the guy nodded, “so….what’s got you in here?”

“Do you ask these kinds of questions of all your patrons?” Hyuk countered with a question of his own.

“Just the cute ones,” the other laughed, “I’m Cha Hakyeon. What’s your name?”

“Hyuk,” Hyuk smiled, “just Hyuk.”

“Mysterious,” Hakyeon laughed, “so what brings you to a bar like this so late, Hyuk?”

“Just felt like I needed a drink,” Hyuk shrugged, “needed to get out of the house for a little while. Just get away for a few hours.” Well, more like library, but whatever. Hakyeon didn’t need to know the details of Hyuk’s life and he never would.

“Hmm,” Hakyeon hummed, “I know the feeling.”

“Really?” Hyuk questioned. He very much doubted that.

“I’ve moved so many times,” Hakyeon explained, “because home felt too…..suffocating.”

“I’ve moved around a lot myself,” Hyuk said, only partly lying, “been to a lot of different places, different countries over the years.”

“Really?” Hakyeon questioned, clearly very interested, “what countries? I hate to admit it, but even with how much I’ve moved around I’ve never been out of the country.”

“Name the country,” Hyuk replied, “I’ve probably been there.”

“That’s awesome,” Hakyeon grinned before being called away by another customer, “I have to go work so…..”

“I’m heading out anyway,” Hyuk nodded.

“Are you going to be staying in the city long?” Hakyeon asked, looking a bit sad that Hyuk was leaving, “like….will I see you around? Or even here again?”

“Maybe,” Hyuk said after a moment of thought.

He….wouldn’t mind seeing Hakyeon again. Wouldn’t mind talking to him once or twice more.

Normally, Hyuk liked to stay clear of humans, not get attached or anything. It was because they died. Old age, disease, accidents. All human died. Hyuk, however, didn’t die.

But then again, he wasn’t exactly human so……not being able to die wasn’t that big a thing to him.

“I’ll see you around,” Hakyeon smiled and Hyuk nodded before heading out.

Before he shut the door behind him, he took one last look at Hakyeon.

Smiling ever so slightly, Hyuk decided that it wouldn’t be too bad to see Hakyeon again.

He just had to make sure not to get attached.

 

--

 

“Where have you been?” Ravi asked, dropping down onto the couch beside Ken, “I’ve been looking for you and every time I get to your wing you’re……gone.”

“Sorry,” Hyuk bowed his head slightly in apology, “I’ve been exploring the world a little.”

“Haven’t you seen everything a hundred times over?” Ken asked, “What’s so interesting outside of the library?”

“The humans,” Hyuk said after making sure Leo wasn’t around to hear him, “they’ve changed since the last time I saw them. It’s fun watching them go about their lives.”

“If you say so,” Ravi shrugged, “I’d much rather read about them, but….”

“There’s a reason you joined our ranks,” Hyuk smiled slightly, “naturally your view and mine of the humans will be different.”

“True,” Ravi nodded after a moment.

“So what have you been up to?” Ken asked, “Like have you been checking out anything in particular?”

“Not really,” Hyuk shrugged, deciding it would be best not to mention Hakyeon and the eight times he had crossed paths with the human, “like I said, I’m just people watching.”

“So lame,” Ken sighed, “I thought for sure you’d be flirting with someone.”

“Really?” Ravi scoffed, “you think Hyuk would be flirting with a human?”

“Well,” Ken hung his head, “no, but I just thought that……..maybe he’s gotten tired of being alone.”

“Oh,” Ravi blinked before turning to Hyuk, “well, um, are you tired of being alone?”

“I’ve been sick of being alone for a long time,” Hyuk admitted, “even with you two and Leo here, I still don’t get much contact with others. I guess……I’m just looking for someone to talk to when I want. Not whenever they happen to arrive in my area of the library.”

“I can stop by more often,” Ravi offered, “would that help?”

“Sure,” Hyuk laughed, “but don’t come see me just because you don’t want me to be lonely. Come see me because you want to see me.”

“I want to see you,” Ravi was very quick to say.

“Calm down, lover boy,” Ken laughed, “hyung is just playing with you.”

“Yeah,” Hyuk nodded, ruffling Ravi’s hair playfully, “I’m just playing with you.” Ravi nodded, thankful that his hair was helping to hide his blush of embarrassment.

“We will all try to stop by more often, though,” Leo spoke up, startling the others who had failed to notice his arrival.

“Thanks, brother,” Hyuk smiled at the other.

“So you don’t have to visit the humans as often,” Leo finished, earning himself a glare from his brother.

“Oh thank you so much, darling big brother,” Hyuk rolled his eyes, “how would I ever live without you?”

“Hyuk,” Leo frowned, “you can’t just keep visiting the humans whenever you want.”

“And why the hell not?” Hyuk countered, “What? Scared your stupid little brother will spill our secret to the humans, will put everything we are in jeopardy?”

“What?” Leo scoffed, “of course not. I know you would never do that.”

“Then what’s the problem?” Hyuk questioned.

“Just…..” Leo tried to think of a good reason, one that would keep Hyuk from visiting the humans so often, “I don’t want you to get attached to one of them.”

“Never gotten attached before,” Hyuk replied, “why would that change now?”

“Fine,” Leo sighed, “but I will be keeping an eye on you.”

“Be my guest,” Hyuk said before noticing the time displayed on his grandfather clock, “I’m gonna head out and get a drink. Anyone wanna come with?”

“Nah,” Ravi said after a moment of thought, “I think I’m just gonna rest.”

“Then sleep well,” Hyuk smiled before turning to Ken and Leo, “what about you two?”

“I don’t drink,” Leo said before leaving. Ravi shrugged before following after the oldest, waving goodnight to the pair left behind.

“I’ll come,” Ken said after a moment, “lead the way, Hyuk hyung.” Ken wondered if it was just him or had there been a slight frown on Hyuk’s face for a moment after hearing that Ken would be coming with him.

Regardless, Hyuk pulled his golden key from his shirt pocket. Holding it in front of himself, the pair watched as a door appeared before them. Hyuk stood up, making his way to the door and unlocking it.

“Come on,” Hyuk smiled before walking through the door.

Ken followed, thinking about his own key. Each book keeper was gifted with a key after becoming a keeper. The keys were used to summon doors that linked the library to the human world and each book keeper had a different key. For example, Hyuk’s key was golden while Ken’s key was silver. Additionally, the doors could be summoned anywhere and lead to any place the one summoning the door wanted.

It was beyond useful to say the least. Especially when the library was so massive. It could take a good couple of days to get from one end of Ken’s area to the other as it was and the library kept growing with every day that passed thanks to new babies constantly being born.

 

--

 

“Hyuk,” Hakyeon smiled, already handing a full glass to the book keeper as soon as he’d sat down, “how are you?”

“I’m good,” Hyuk replied, smiling brightly at Hakyeon and taking pride in how the other’s cheeks heated, “how are you?”

“Tired,” Hakyeon replied honestly, “it’s been a long day and the night doesn’t seem to want to end.”

“When does your shift end?” Hyuk frowned slightly, not at all liking the weary look in the human’s eyes.

“In a few hours,” Hakyeon explained, fighting back a yawn, “I—oh, you brought someone with you?”

“Yeah,” Hyuk nodded, trying to ignore the look that Ken was giving him after witnessing the exchange, “this is Ken, one of my brothers.”

“It’s nice to meet you,” Hakyeon smiled at Ken, “Hyukkie mentioned he had brothers, but never went into details of any kind.” Hakyeon paused, regarding Ken carefully, “you’re Hyuk’s older brothers”

“No, I’m Hyuk’s second youngest brother,” Ken laughed, “Not surprised he didn’t tell you much, Hyuk isn’t one to talk about himself.” For a moment Hyuk hoped the other was going to just let it go

Sadly, once Hakyeon had run off to get Ken’s order, the younger book keeper him.

“What the hell?” Ken hissed, “Is this why you’re gone so often? This human? Didn’t you just tell Leo you weren’t about to get attached? What the hell do you call this, huh?”

“I like him,” Hyuk shrugged, trying to pretend he didn’t care too much, “why are you freaking out, you’ve had a crush or two on a human before.”

“But I ended them before they could turn into anything more than a crush,” Ken started to say, “but you--.”

“It’s not any of your business,” Hyuk snapped, effectively ending the conversation, “it’s not Leo’s either, so don’t breathe a word to him. I will handle whatever feelings I have for Hakyeon on my own, so stay out of it.”

“I’m just worried about you,” Ken sighed before letting the subject drop, “I don’t want you to be hurt, hyung.”

Hyuk didn’t reply with words, instead he just patted Ken’s shoulder and turned to greet Hakyeon as he came with Ken’s drink.

Ken watched the pair interact as the night went on. Hakyeon was sweet, that much was for sure. He was very kind, too. But he was human, meaning that he was, well, human. As in not like them. And no matter how much he looked at Hyuk with love in his eyes, that wouldn’t change a thing. The love Ken saw in Hyuk’s eyes as he watched Hakyeon move around the room wasn’t going to change reality either.

It was a shame really, Ken could tell that the pair would be good together.

Too bad they never could be. Not unless……..

Unless Hyuk decided to bring Hakyeon into their ranks!

Ken’s eyes snapped to Hyuk, trying to figure out if this thought had occurred to the older book keeper. It had to have by this point, right? Was Hyuk considering it? Had he already decided on it?

Ken had no idea, but he wasn’t about to ask. No, he decided to let Hyuk do as he wanted. The much older book keeper deserved to decide this for himself and any input from Ken, Ravi, and Leo wouldn’t help him make up his mind.

Ken just had to silently hope things would work out for Hyuk and that the other would finally be happy, finally smile for real. The way he used to when Ken was still new to their world of endless bookshelves and magic keys. Hyuk hadn’t smiled like that in ages and Ken wished desperately that he would. The fake smiles hurt Ken when he saw them.

 

--

 

“You don’t have to walk me home every night, you know,” Hakyeon said as he walked down the street with Hyuk by his side.

“But you still appreciate it, right?” Hyuk smiled slightly.

“Yeah,” Hakyeon nodded, pulling his coat tighter around himself as a cold wind kicked up, “I hate walking home alone at night. Especially when it gets cold like this. Walking alone in the cold makes me feel lonely.”

“Hmmm,” Hyuk hummed in understanding. Walking through the cold, empty halls of the library made him feel pretty lonely too. It was why he liked avoiding Leo’s section – those halls had always reflected the personality of the immortal in charge of looking after them.

“Hey,” Hakyeon suddenly asked, “when we get to my place……do you want to come in for something to drink? Like a hot chocolate?”

“That sounds nice,” Hyuk replied, well aware that he should have turned Hakyeon down. If Leo ever found out he’d gone into a human’s home……..

Hyuk was going to be in enough trouble for visiting Hakyeon’s work every night for the past couple of months. He was going to be in even worse trouble for walking Hakyeon home every night for the past three weeks. If he entered Hakyeon’s home……..

Hyuk couldn’t find it in himself to care.

He didn’t care when Hakyeon unlocked his front door and let both of them in.

He didn’t care when Hakyeon handed him a hot chocolate and joined him on the couch.

He didn’t care when Hakyeon pressed their lips together in a passionate kiss.

He didn’t care when Hakyeon’s finger’s slipped under his shirt, mirroring the acts his own hands had committed moments before.

He didn’t care when Hakyeon softly moaned his name while his lips left a trail down the human’s throat.

He didn’t care when Hakyeon lead him into the bedroom, both of them disrobing as they went.

Hyuk didn’t give a damn the next morning either as Hakyeon lay sleeping in his arms, a content smile on his face.

Hyuk’s own smile, the joy he felt in his chest, was worth whatever punishment Leo wished to deal out when he eventually found out what Hyuk was doing.

“I do believe that I’ve fallen in love with you,” Hyuk whispered in Hakyeon’s ear before pressing a soft kiss to the human’s cheek and drifting off to sleep himself.

 

--

 

“Everyone,” Leo’s voice rang out, gaining attention from the other three book keepers.

Ravi’s mouth hung open when he noticed the human standing slightly behind the eldest keeper. Ken blinked in surprise, but kept any questions to himself. Hyuk took one look at the human and sent Leo a dark look, one that clearly told his brother how unhappy he was to find out that mister ‘do not go to the human world’ had done the very thing he’d told Hyuk not to do; go to the human world and pick up a human.

“Hello,” the human stepped forewords, “I’m Hongbin. I’m going to be joining your ranks.”

“Welcome,” Ken smiled, stepping forewords to greet the young human once he realized Hyuk wasn’t going to do it.

While Ken introduced Hongbin to everyone, Ravi looked over at a clearly seething Hyuk. Ravi had no idea what had put Hyuk in such a bad mood, but it clearly had something to do with Hongbin’s arrival. For a moment, Ravi wondered if Hyuk was just upset that Leo kept telling him to avoid the human, but clearly hadn’t done the same. But at the same time, Ravi got the feeling that there was more to it than that.

“Leo,” Hyuk suddenly said, walking over to Leo and dragging the oldest out of the room, “might I have a word with you? Alone preferably.” Leo didn’t get a chance to respond because Hyuk had already pulled him out of the room.

“Um,” Hongbin looked between the two remaining keepers, “did I do something wrong?”

“No,” Ken assured him, “Hyuk and Leo have just been at odds about a lot of things lately. Mostly Hyuk wanting to go see the humans and Leo not wanting him to go. And yet….well, here you are so………Leo clearly did the same thing he told Hyuk not to do and…..Hyuk is probably angry with him now.”

“Oh,” Hongbin blinked, a look of understanding on his face that defiantly made Ravi think that there was a lot more going on here then he knew.

A couple of rooms away, Hyuk pushed Leo against the nearest wall as hard as he could and pinned him there.

“What the ing hell do you think you’re playing at?” Hyuk snapped.

“You wanted a human,” Leo scoffed, “so I brought you one.”

“Leo,” Hyuk ground his teeth, trying to stifle his rising anger.

“I don’t see why you’re so angry,” Leo pressed on, ignoring the rage he could feel radiating from his brother, “you want a pet, I’m giving you one. This one is even better than the one you picked up. He was the top rated boy at the best brothel I could find. I’m positive he’ll prove to be even better then th--.”

Leo didn’t get to finish his sentence before Hyuk had smashed his fist into the other’s face.

“You’re disgusting, brother,” Hyuk hissed, “How dare you do something like this. You’ve become so cold, so heartless.” Hyuk pulled back, shaking his head sadly, “I don’t even know who you are any more, but I do know that you are no brother of mine.”

Hyuk turned to go before a new thought popped into his head.

“I’ll take charge of Hongbin from now on,” Hyuk said, “I think we can both agree that I’m better suited to teaching him about the new role you’ve forced upon him. And I don’t know how you found out about Hakyeon, but I’m warning you to stay away from him. If I find out you’ve so much as looked at him, I cannot be held responsible for my actions.”

Leo said nothing as he watched Hyuk go. Once he was alone, he wondered himself when he’d become what he now was.

 

--

 

“So peaceful,” Hakyeon sighed, resting his head against Hyuk’s shoulder as the pair sat on a bench and watched the New Year’s Eve fireworks, “and so pretty.”

“The start of the new year always is,” Hyuk nodded, “it’s so full of hope and promise. It hasn’t yet become subject to the horrors and tragedies that will come.”

“So dark,” Hakyeon pouted, “the new year hasn’t been through all the good things either. All the new life born, all the new love found. The challenges overcome and the battles won.”

“So poetic,” Hyuk laughed, pulling Hakyeon into a deep lip lock.

“I learned from you,” Hakyeon smiled when they parted for air, “you get all metaphorical and poetic from time to time and I just……kind of learned how to do that too.”

“So honest too,” Hyuk smiled.

“You have to be in a relationship,” Hakyeon shrugged, “or else it will end.”

“Come with me,” Hyuk suddenly said, surprising Hakyeon.

“Come with you where?” the human asked, taking the other’s hand and letting himself be lead away.

“You asked what I do once,” Hyuk replied, “Weeks ago, months ago when we first met. I’m going to finally show you. Close your eyes, alright? Only opened them when I tell you.”

“Ok,” Hakyeon nodded, a soft smile on his face as he did as told. Hyuk didn’t like talking about himself. Even questions about simple things like favorite colours or food were hard to get answered. So Hyuk offering up any kind of information about himself was special.

Hyuk glanced around, making sure that no one was around to see what he was about to do. The book keeper pulled out his golden key and summoned the door to his wing of the library. Opening is slowly, careful to avoid any sounds, Hyuk lead Hakyeon through the door.

The pair was greeted by the silence one could only find in a library and the smell of books both old and new.

“Where are we?” Hakyeon asked as Hyuk started leading him down the aisles to the center of this section, his section, of the library. The human wanted so badly to open his eyes, but Sanghyuk had told him not to until he was told otherwise.

“We’re at my job,” Hyuk said, finally arriving at his destination, “and my home. You can open your eyes now, Hakyeon.”

 “Wow,” Hakyeon gasped, looking around him in wonderment.

There were books everywhere he looked. Bookshelves as far as the eye could see, all going from the hard wood floors to the off-white ceiling. Only a few steps from where they stood was an old couch and a couple of comfy looking chairs surrounding a coffee table. Near all of that was an ancient looking grandfather clock, ticking away happily.

“It’s quite the sight, huh?” Hyuk smiled slightly, watching Hakyeon wander around, “there’s a book here for every person who’s ever lived. Or is currently living for that matter.”

“I….I don’t,” Hakyeon turned to Hyuk, “I don’t understand.”

“It’s magic, Hakyeon,” Hyuk replied, “magic writes these books and magic keeps me alive so that I can watch over them. That is my job. I keep an eye on these books, ensure that they’re safe.”

“So,” Hakyeon frowned slightly, “you just.......watch over these books? That’s it? Nothing…..nothing else?”

“That’s it,” the immortal book keeper nodded, “for as long as these books have existed, I’ve been here to ensure that they stay safe.”

“Sounds like a lot of work for just one person,” Hakyeon said, glancing at Hyuk, “and lonely.”

“At times,” Hyuk nodded, starting to walk around and Hakyeon was quick to fall into step behind him. Hyuk wished he could tell Hakyeon that he wasn’t alone, that he had Ken and Ravi and Leo to help him. That he would have Hongbin to help soon as well. But doing that went against the rules he lived by. He would not, could not, break those rules. “But I’m a part of something.........something so much bigger than myself. It’s worth it.”

“You’re just saying that,” Hakyeon scowled, grabbing Hyuk’s arm and turning him around, “I bet you really miss human contact. That’s why you started talking to me, right? Why you’re letting me in here?”

“If you recall,” Hyuk smirked, “you started talking to me.”

“You talked back.”

“It would have been rude not to say something.”

“Since when do you care about being rude?”

“Fine,” Hyuk sighed, giving in, “I do get lonely at times. You’re the first person I’ve connected with in ages. The first ever that I’ve allowed see all this. But I did not bring you here because I’m in need of company, I brought you here because, as you said, honestly is what keeps relationships alive and I want our relationship to stay alive and well for a very long time.”

Hakyeon smiled slightly, over the moon to be the first person Hyuk had ever cared about enough to bring here.

“So,” Hakyeon smiled, “you haven’t shown me everything yet.”

“Then come along,” Hyuk smiled, offering his hand to the younger, “and I’ll show you everything. Well, not right now. You have work tomorrow night, don’t you? You need to sleep before that as well. I’ll show you whatever I can now and we’ll worry about the rest later.” Hyuk laughed, “Besides, in order to see everything, it would probably take a good year or so.”

“A year or so?” Hakyeon gasped and Hyuk nodded, pointing out that a lot of people had existed over the years and the books detailed everything about their lives.

“I know of one human who’s actually got at least twenty seven volumes all about them,” Hyuk shrugged, “and there are several more people who have more than that.”

“Wow,” was all Hakyeon could manage to say.

Hakyeon took the book keeper’s hand and followed. He smiled, nodding as Hyuk explained different things about the books and rooms that they passed by. However, he wasn’t really paying much attention to what Hyuk was saying. Instead, he was thinking about becoming like Hyuk, about staying by Hyuk’s side for the rest of eternity.

Maybe he’d ask Hyuk about it later, when they’d finished sharing everything they had with the other. Hakyeon silently hoped that there was a way he could join Hyuk, that way the other wouldn’t be alone anymore. He’d always have Hakyeon to talk to and be with.

“Time for you to rest,” Hyuk said as the pair came to a set of rooms different from all the others, “this is my bedroom, would you like to rest here? Or should I bring us to your bed?”

“Here,” Hakyeon said, trying to suppress a yawn, “I don’t think I’m awake enough to walk any farther.”

“We wouldn’t have to walk at all,” Hyuk said, pulling out his key to show Hakyeon as he led his lover to his bed, “this key can unlock a door to anywhere I desire.”

“Really?” Hakyeon asked, staring at the golden key in wonder.

“A perk of my job,” Hyuk shrugged, tucking his key safely into his pocket once more, “any place I wish to go in the human world or here in the library, I can with just a turn of my key.”

“It’s pretty,” Hakyeon smiled softly, laying down and pulling Hyuk to join him, “very elegant and regal.”

“I’ve always thought so,” Hyuk smiled slightly, pleased by the compliment.

“Hyuk?” Hakyeon yawned, “I have a question.”

“Can it wait until you’ve rested?” Hyuk asked, “or do you need to ask it now?”

“Now,” Hakyeon said after a moment of thought, “while I still have the nerve.”

“Then ask.”

“Is there,” Hakyeon took a deep breath as he tried to calm his nerves, “…..is there a…..a way to…….become….like……you?”

“Do you want to be like me?” Hyuk questioned, “I mean, yeah, there is a way, but…….you can’t go back. Once you decide to join me as a book keeper…….you will be stuck being like me forever. We’ve only known each other for……almost a year now. And you’re just finding out about me, about this.”

“I know,” Hakyeon nodded, “I…..I should think about it huh?”

“Yeah,” Hyuk smiled slightly, pressing a kiss to Hakyeon’s lips, “decide once you’re sure. As much as I would like to be with you forever, this is something you need to think about.”

“Hmm,” Hakyeon smiled slightly before drifting off to sleep.

A few hours later, Hakyeon was woken up with a soft kiss from Hyuk. The older smiled, telling Hakyeon that it was time for work. Hakyeon smiled at the sight of Hyuk’s bed head and sleepy smile. It was in that moment that he decided that he wanted to always wake up to this, to Hyuk.

He decided right then what he was going to do.

He was going to become a book keeper.

 

--

 

“You brought your little human here?” Leo scowled at his brother, “what were you thinking?”

“I was thinking that I like him,” Hyuk huffed, “a lot.”

“That isn’t a reason to blow our secret!” Leo snarled, “what if he blabs to someone, huh? Ever think of that?”

“No one would believe him,” Hyuk scoffed, “and Hakyeon isn’t going to do that.”

“You can’t know that!”

“Yes I can!”

Ken and Ravi watched the pair argue, more than a little shocked at what they were witnessing. Hyuk and Leo had never fought before. At least, not in front of them. Both knew that the pair had gotten into a fight when Hongbin arrived, but the pair had taken care not to let anyone see or hear their fight.

“You’re a fool!” Leo hissed, “You’re a fool blinded by love.”

“I am not a fool,” Hyuk growled, “and I am not blinded by the love I feel for Hakyeon.”

Ravi tried to suppress the sharp pain in his chest at that.

It was a secret between himself and Ken that he’d fallen for Hyuk. That he’d been in love with the older book keeper for the better part of the last seven hundred years or so. Ravi had just never had the confidence to confess to the object of his affections. Or maybe he was just knew that he would be rejected. After all, Ravi knew for a fact that Hyuk didn’t hold any romantic feelings for him.

Humans weren’t the only ones with books in the library, the book keepers each had a book of their own. Well, more like a never ending series of books detailing their whole existence. Their thoughts, feelings and dreams were all included in these books that were stored in special rooms, separate from all the other books. Each book keeper had their own room for their books, rooms that could only be accessed by using their key.

Once, many decades ago, Ravi had got to check out those books. He’d originally wanted to read about Hyuk and Leo’s early days as book keepers, about how they figured everything out. Hyuk had been happy to help, easily turning over his key. Leo had refused, saying that Hyuk’s books would provide enough information. Ravi had just nodded and never brought it up again.

Everything had been going as Ravi originally intended until he noticed the most recent volumes in Hyuk’s room. Unable to silence his curiosity, he’d looked at them. Reading about Hyuk’s more recent thoughts and feelings felt like a massive betrayal of trust and Ravi felt awful afterwards. However he did learn one thing; Hyuk regarded him as a brother, nothing more or less.

Ravi never told Hyuk about what he had read, handing back the elder’s key with a small smile and thank you before rushing off to his own wing of the library where he could cry his tears of heartbreak alone. Knowing that Hyuk did not love him, that he probably never would love him, was just so painful that Ravi had spent much of the next couple of decades avoiding Hyuk and trying to heal his heart. Trying to get over the older book keeper.

Clearly the effort to get over Hyuk was nothing but a failed attempt. He was still in love with the older.

“Look,” Hyuk suddenly sighed, tired of fighting with his brother, “before I sent Hakyeon off to work, I asked him if he wanted to join our ranks. He agreed. As the rules state, he is now bound by the same laws as us when it comes to telling others of our existence. I explained that to him as well.”

“So we’re getting another member for our ranks?” Ken spoke up, “that’s great.” Ken was quick to regret saying anything when Leo glared at him.

“You took a risk,” Leo turned his glare back to Hyuk, “what if he had of said no? The magic that keeps up alive would have wiped him of all memory of you. And you…….you would wear the punishment for the rest of our time.”

Ken and Ravi shared a look. Neither had experienced the punishment that Leo was talking about. Only he and Hyuk knew and between them Leo was the only one who had experienced it. All the pair of younger keepers was that the punishment for telling someone who wasn’t going to become a keeper about the library was painful for the keeper who opened their mouth. Apparently, that pain never really went away either.

“It was a risk,” Hyuk nodded, “but it was one I wanted to take. It was a risk that would be worth it no matter the outcome.”

Leo glared at Hyuk for a long moment before turning his attention to Ravi and Ken.

“We’re going,” Ken said, already leading Ravi away, “no need to say it. Just don’t kill each other, alright?”

The two oldest keepers waited until they were sure the pair were gone before they said anything else.

“You’re in love with him?” Leo sighed.

“Yes,” Hyuk nodded, “I’m completely, irrevocably in love with him. And I don’t think I’ll ever stop.” Hyuk sighed, “There’s…..there’s something about him, Leo. I knew it the moment I saw him that he was special, that I wanted to see him again.”

“I…..I’m happy for you,” Leo managed a small smile, “I just…….I’m worried. Worried that you’ll be hurt, that he’ll move on or regret becoming like us and start to hate you.”

“Life comes with risks,” Hyuk shrugged, “that’s something we should realize more than anyone else having seen the proof millions of times. I just……..”

“You’re happy,” Leo said, his slight smile as genuine as it had ever been, “I haven’t seen you this happy in ages.”

“I am happy,” Hyuk nodded with a soft smile, “and…..I want you to be happy too, hyung.”

“Hyuk,” Leo scowled, “you know why I--.”

“I know,” Hyuk sighed, “I know how much you were hurt. I just want you to move on, to stop living like what she did happened yesterday.” Hyuk paused, biting his bottom lip before continuing, “You’ve been cold, hyung, ever since it happened. Even your section is cold because it reflex you. I….I want the old you back. The one that didn’t talk much because he was shy, not because he was filled with so much hate for the world and everything in it.”

“I……I don’t like that I’ve become this cold either,” Leo admitted, “but……..I don’t know how to change anymore.”

“We’ll work on it,” Hyuk smiled, “together.” Leo smiled ever so slightly, nodding in agreement.

 

--

 

“Wait,” Hakyeon said, looking up from the oldest book in the library, “the earth is how old?”

“I just told you,” Hyuk laughed, “why are to asking again.”

“But,” Hakyeon frowned, “that means that you’re......”

“Billions of years old,” Hyuk nodded, “I don’t look it, do I?”

“No,” Hakyeon sighed, “but that old? And I’m the first person you’ve ever........”

“Brought here?” Hyuk nodded, “yes. Told of my secret? Yes.”

“Going that long without telling someone something this important,” Hakyeon frowned, “without getting this close to someone else. That......that had to be hard. I mean, it’s a big part of who you are, right? And keeping it a secret from anyone you got close to.......” Hakyeon felt his cheeks heating at he realized just how important Hyuk telling him everything was.

It made him feel more than a little special. It made what they had together feel hundreds of times more important.

“It killed more than a few attempts at a relationship over the years,” Hyuk nodded, “The other book keepers have had similar problems.”

“Other book keepers?” Hakyeon gasped, “You never said anything about other book keepers.”

“Forbidden,” Hyuk shrugged, “If I told you before you started the whole process of becoming a book keeper, I’d have been turned to dust by the same magic that writes all these books. I was at enough risk telling you about all of this.”

“Wait,” Hakyeon frowned, “what do you mean?”

“The rules said that if a keeper tells a human,” Hyuk explained, “and the human doesn’t agree to become a keeper before they leave the library……..the human has all memory of the keeper wiped away. And the keeper…..they face a punishment.”

“A punishment?” Hakyeon bit his lip, beyond worried to hear that.

“The keeper,” Hyuk sighed, “they receive several dozen wounds to their body. The wounds hurt a lot and the scars never go away. They’re always there to remind the keeper that they need to pick who they bring into this life more carefully.”

“Oh,” Hakyeon frowned, trying to recall if he’d noticed any marks on Hyuk’s skin any of the times they’d been together.

“Not me,” Hyuk was quick to assure him, “only one of the other keepers has ever had this punishment.”

“How many are there?” Hakyeon asked, deciding to change subjects as quickly as he could, “and you’re the first? So that means you turned them? How did you find them?” He paused, “wait, I thought I was the first one you told about all of this.”

“Slow down,” Hyuk laughed, “I’ll explain everything, just one question at a time.”

“Fine,” Hakyeon sighed, “are you the first?”

“Kind of,” Hyuk shrugged, “There were two of us to start. We were born in the same breath as the first book, but I’ve always referred to him as my older brother. It was kind of a joke since I’m taller, bur since he’s always acted like an older brother for me……the title stopped being a joke millennium ag. He’s the one who brought the other three book keepers here, so you’re still the first person I’ve ever told or brought here.”

“Good,” Hakyeon smiled, clearly very pleased to still be Hyuk’s first, “so what are their names?”

“Leo is my brother,” Hyuk explained, “and about a billion years ago he introduced Ken into our ranks. He found him homeless and hungry, starving to death kind of hungry, while traveling the earth and took pity on him. At first, Ken found it hard, but then Leo found Ravi a couple thousand years later. It’s been easy for Ken since then because it gave him someone he could relate to, someone who…..who understood what he felt about all of this. They bonded over their shared experiences and their loss of mortality. Plus they have similar senses of humor, so they make good friends. Recently Leo brought another human here, a boy named Hongbin.”

“Ah,” Hakyeon nodded, “how did he find Hongbin?”

“No idea,” Hyuk shrugged, lying through his teeth, “every time I ask, Leo get’s all grumpy and starts muttering about dimpled brats.”

Hakyeon giggled, wondering when he could meet these other book keepers. He pushed for Hyuk to tell him more about them all, deciding quickly once Hyuk was done that he was going to like these people he would be spending eternity working beside. Well, besides Leo. Hyuk had let it slip that Leo had been very against Hakyeon and that pissed the human off a great deal. It made Hyuk grateful that he hadn’t mentioned why Leo had brought Hongbin to the library.

“It’s a big place,” Hyuk reminded him, “you might not always get to see them. Recently they’ve all been stopping by a lot and I’m helping to train Hongbin so he’s around a lot, but normally I can spend a good decade totally alone.” Hyuk paused, “Actually, it might be more like two decades. It….it can get hard to tell sometimes since the flow of times…….we aren’t really susceptible to it so we never pay it much mind.”

“That will just give us more time to ourselves,” Hakyeon smirked, moving from his chair to Hyuk’s lap.

“True,” Hyuk smirked in return before pulling Hakyeon in for a kiss.

Hakyeon smiled to himself, thinking that kissing Hyuk would never get old no matter how many years they would have together once he became a book keeper.

“Wait,” Hakyeon suddenly pulled back, “Leo comes to yell at you, right? Do you……do you think he’ll come and yet at me now that I’m here?”

“I’m afraid so,” Hyuk sighed, wishing he’d kept that bit of information secret, “Leo…..he was very worried that you’d tell someone, that my love for you blinded my judgment. But since you’re joining us, he’s calmed down a great deal. But even then……..he just worries. Leo……Leo was hurt, badly, by someone he loved a great deal. He worries that you’ll hurt me the same way.”

“Oh,” Hakyeon nodded, trying to understand Leo’s feelings. He did kind of understand why Leo would be so distrustful and worried, but it still stung. Never once had he considered telling someone about Hyuk’s role as a book keeper, yet Leo thought he would.......would do that to Hyuk.

Leo hadn’t even met him! What gave him the right to judge!

And that talk about how Leo had been hurt by someone he loved and feared the same thing happening to Hyuk. Clearly he’d loved someone who’d ended their relationship. Did he think Hakyeon would do the same? There was no way he would hurt Hyuk like that. He’d signed away his mortal life just to be with the other, that kind if implied that he was staying with Hyuk for eternity.

“Calm down,” Hyuk smiled softly, pulling Hakyeon in for another kiss, “it doesn’t matter what Leo thinks or says. It’s completely irrelevant.”

“It’s not irrelevant,” Hakyeon pouted, “your brother thinks I’m going to break your heart. I…I would never do that. It…it hurts that someone I haven’t even met would…..would think I would do that to you.” Hakyeon felt downright offended. There was no way in hell he was ever going to like Leo.

Hyuk just pulled Hakyeon into a hug, unsure of what to say to fix things. It wasn’t like he could get Leo to apologize either. His brother had made it clear that he was not about to apologize for what he’d said about Hakyeon the last time Hyuk had spoken to him about Hakyeon.

“Oh,” the pair looked up to find Ken making his way over with Hongbin and Ravi close behind, “did we interrupt.”

“Not right now,” Hyuk laughed, “but had you been a few minutes later……..”

“Then thank goodness we’re here now,” Hongbin snickered before making his way over to greet Hakyeon, “I’m Hongbin. You must be Hakyeon.”

“It’s nice to meet you,” Hakyeon smiled before turning to greet the other two keepers who smiled kindly at him.

“It’s good to finally meet the one who’s made Hyuk so happy,” Ken smiled.

“Wait,” Hakyeon frowned slightly, “haven’t I met you before?”

“Good memory,” Hyuk praised, “yes, Ken came with one once to the bar.”

“I’m please you remember,” Ken laughed, “guess I’m just a memorable sort of guy.”

Hakyeon spent the next few hours chatting happily with Hongbin, Ken, and Hyuk. However, he did take note that Ravi didn’t contribute much to the conversation. He seemed to prefer to just watch. But then that didn’t fit in with Hyuk’s description of the other keeper.

He said Ravi was friendly and liked to talk. So much so that Hyuk joked about him being boring according to Hyuk. So then just why was Ravi so quiet. Hakyeon decided to ask Hyuk later, returning his focus to the conversation.

No one noticed Ravi’s sad eyes, the soft, mournful smile on his face. Ravi had only been watching Hakyeon for a few minutes when he realized why Hyuk had fallen in love with this human. He finally understood why it was Hakyeon and not himself. Hakyeon had this aura around him that drew people too him and a kind, loving heart that kept them there.

He was perfect for Hyuk. He could match Hyuk step for step with wit or sass. He understood Hyuk’s sense of humor. He was gorgeous inside and out. He clearly was head over heels for Hyuk. Everything about Hakyeon matched perfectly with everything about Hyuk. This was something Ravi could never do without changing who he was almost completely.

The keeper sighed to himself. He never had a chance, did he? If the books in the library could tell the future, they probably would have predicted this same outcome from the very moment of Hyuk’s birth. It hurt Ravi so very much to think that, but he knew it was true.

At least Hyuk was happy.

So long as Hyuk was happy, Ravi could smile as well. And maybe, with time, he could learn to be happy as well. Maybe he could fall in love again someday. This time with someone he could have, someone who would love him back.

Leo was also watching Hakyeon, but he was hidden from view, peeking out from the shadows. Like Ravi, he also was quick to see just why Hyuk had fallen in love with Hakyeon. The more he watched Hakyeon, the more convinced he became that Hakyeon would not leave Hyuk. Hakyeon would stay with Hyuk for eternity.

Hakyeon was not like her.

Leo sighed before turning to leave.

He worried for his brother. He feared for him. He didn’t want Hyuk to be hurt like he had been. He didn’t want Hyuk to suffer the punishment that he had.

Leo had fallen in love once. He’d been so very much in love with the young girl he found many, many years ago. But when he told her about the library, about what he was, she rejected him. Her rejection had been so cold, so hateful, and it broke Leo. When she left, it was because he grabbed her by her hair and dragged her out. When the power of the library punished him, when the cuts appeared across his back and his blood stained the floor, he became even more broken.

That was why he’d been so against Hyuk visiting the humans. Why he got so upset when he learned of Hyuk’s growing romance with Hakyeon. He didn’t want his brother to go through what he had. He didn’t want to see his brother broken,

But Hakyeon wouldn’t break Hyuk.

Hakyeon couldn’t break Hyuk because he so clearly loved him with all his being.

 

--

 

“Hakyeon.”

Hakyeon turned to find someone he’d never seen before making his way down the rows of books.

It took him all of two seconds for him to realize that this was Leo. This was Hyuk’s brother. This was his lover’s brother.

“Oh,” Hakyeon glanced around, hoping to find someone, anyone, who could help him get away from Leo, “um, hello.”

“Come with me,” Leo sighed, quickly picking up on the other’s discomfort, “I want to show you something. Something that…..that I hope will help you understand why I am as I am.”

“Huh?” Hakyeon frowned slightly, “what are you talking about?”

“Hyuk explained that we have books ourselves, correct?” Leo asked, waving for Hakyeon to follow him down the halls, “well, I wish to show you mine.”

“I’m still not following,” Hakyeon said, falling into step behind the much older keeper, “why would you show me this?”

“I would like it if we could get along,” Leo replied, “for the sake of my brother. We both love him and he loves us. We both know he would like it if we could get along and this is the only way I could think of to make that happen.”

Hakyeon didn’t say anything else and neither did Leo. They just silently made their way to the room that housed Leo’s books. Even once they arrived, they didn’t say anything. Leo just unlocked the door and lead Hakyeon inside, handing him one of the books that lined the walls.

“What’s up with this one?” Hakyeon finally asked.

“This book should explain why I didn’t want to trust you,” Leo replied, “why I feared you would hurt my brother.”

Hakyeon opened the book and started to read.

The book told of Leo’s lost love, a woman he’d loved just as deeply as Hakyeon loved Hyuk. Leo had shared everything with her, save for the truth of his existence. They had wanted to be married and Leo had even gotten her a ring. They had been so happy. That was when he finally told her of what he was, of what he was a part of.

She had seen the library, realized that this was no joke. And then she rejected Leo. She called him horrible things, things that ripped Leo’s heart from his chest and darkened his soul. Leo had cast her out of the library and her memories of him vanished once she set foot outside of the library’s halls.

That was when Leo’s punishment began. He had felt such blinding pain, his mind a mess of pain that even the book couldn’t distinguish what he was thinking. When it finally stopped, he was a bloody mess left on the floor of the library. And that was how Hyuk found him. Hyuk had patched him up, had tried to fix the damage.

Unfortunately, the damage had been done. The scars from the event were more than just psychical. And as much as Hyuk tried to fix his brother, he couldn’t succeed. And as the years went on, Leo’s wounds grew and his heart became darker and colder with each year that passed. And that was how Hakyeon’s arrival found him.

“I should have realized you were different,” Leo finally said once Hakyeon had closed the book.

“No,” the younger sighed, “you couldn’t have known. You were afraid.”

“I would like to become…..friends,” Leo said after a moment, “you seem very kind hearted.”

“I’d like that,” Hakyeon smiled slightly, “friends sounds good.”

“I’m sorry” Leo started to apologize.

“Stop,” Hakyeon told him, “you just wanted to keep Hyuk safe. I can’t be mad at you for that.”

Leo nodded after a moment of thought before leading Hakyeon out.

“Hey,” Hyuk smiled, greeting the pair as they arrived in his area a few short minutes later, “what are you two doing together?”

“We’re just bonding over how much we love you,” Hakyeon grinned, moving to hug the other.

“Really?” Hyuk laughed, “good. I’m happy my two favorite people are getting along.”

“We figured,” Leo managed a small smile, “I’ll see the both of you later, I have some things that need attending to.”

“See you later,” the couple waved before they were left alone.

“You sure you’re getting along alright?” Hyuk clarified.

“Thus far,” Hakyeon nodded, “we’re going to try making friends.”

“Good,” Hyuk smiled before pressing a kiss to his lover’s lips, “I’m happy to hear that.”

The pair curled up together in one of the chairs, soon falling asleep like that.

A/N: everything was going fine until I had to end it. I think this ending worked, but……it’s up to you guys to decide if it worked or not.