1/1

Puzzle

                      Kwon Soonyoung stared hard at the jigsaw puzzle in front of him.  There was only one piece left, yet it wouldn’t fit.

                      Each piece was a treasured memory for him.  Starting from his young and innocent years with his beloved family to him auditioning for Seventeen to meeting all the members.  All of them were delightfully happy memories of composing and jokes and holidays spent with brothers that he would never trade for any other in the whole entire world.   Each of them fit perfectly together, and yet, the last puzzle piece refused to fit into the very center of the puzzle.  No matter how Soonyoung crammed it or twisted it, it just wouldn’t.  This frustrated to no ends.

                      The last puzzle piece – it was all the memories of composing and talking about everything and nothing with Jihoon.  And it made perfect sense that those would be some of his happiest and warmest memories yet it just wasn’t the right shape.

                      He shifted his gaze back and forth between the other puzzle pieces (going out to eat with the group, playing in the snow with the group, traveling with the group) and he was completely positive that he didn’t mess up any of the other ones.

                      And Soonyoung would sit there.  Cross-legged in an empty room with no noises or any other distractions.

                      And he would wake up.

                      It wasn’t the first time Soonyoung had been plagued with this strange dream.  In fact, it had been reoccurring throughout the entire week.  It was strange because usually by the time he woke up, all the memories of any dreams he had would disappear yet this one stuck with him, like a stubborn piece of gum glued to the bottom of his shoe.

                      He started losing focus.  Soonyoung would run into countless of the members and inanimate objects, mumbling and yawning an apology (regardless of whether it was living or not).  It seemed like there was no cure.  He’d walked into several walls already today, and his head really hurt.

                      Yawning again, Soonyoung made his way to the practice room for the performance practice.  Somehow, he arrived there early to find Jihoon practicing by himself.

                      “Hey! Can I practice with you?”

                      Jihoon nodded, without saying anything.   

                      He tried to concentrate on the dance moves but his mind kept wandering off to the dream and then back to the dance and then back to the dream.  So of course, he plundered many of the dance moves.

                      Even worse, he found himself collided against the only other person in the room.

                      .

                      Lee Jihoon turned to glare at Soonyoung murderously.

                      Damn it.

                      “What the hell do you think you’re doing, Kwon Soonyoung?”

                      “I’m really, really sorry, it’s just that I’m super tired,” the blonde managed to mumble out.

                      “You can’t even focus on your own dance moves and you’ve been stumbling around like a ing zombie.  Get your act together!”

                      Today was obviously not going to be a good day.

                      “It’s just that-“

                      “What?” Jihoon snapped sharply.

                      “I didn’t even finish my sentence!” Soonyoung frowned, but nonetheless continued, “Anyways, I’ve been having this really weird dream lately. “

                      “Are you ing kidding me.  A dream.  That’s what’s been bothering you?”

                      “Yeah well, it keeps happening over and over.  I’m in an empty room and there’s a bunch of puzzle pieces around me.  Each of them are my favorite memories.  And I have no trouble putting them together.  By the end of the dream, I only have one puzzle piece left and there’s only one empty space but it won’t fit!”  Soonyoung said.

                      Jihoon looked a bit taken aback and instead of telling Soonyoung off, he kept his mouth closed and scrutinized the other boy carefully.

                      “What?” Soonyoung asked, “It’s not a stupid dream, I swear.  It’s actually really frustrating!”

                      Jihoon didn’t answer and before Soonyoung could say anything else, the other members piled into the room.  The blonde haired boy sighed and took one more glance at Jihoon, before turning his focus onto getting the moves right again.

 

 

 

                      After another two days, Soonyoung’s condition had not changed at all and Jihoon was really starting to get frustrated with the other’s clumsiness and air-headedness.

                      Soonyoung leaned against the wall of the practice room, head thrown back.  They were having a performance in three days and he kept fumbling through his own choreography.  The only thing that remained consistent was the dream.  Every night, over and over.

                      Hearing footsteps approach the room, Soonyoung opened his eyes to see the small pink haired boy enter.  Huh, usually the smaller boy would be found in his music room, composing songs.  Not that he was complaining.  On better days, Soonyoung loved spending time talking with the other boy.

                      But today wasn’t one of them.

                      Jihoon took one look at the other boy and sighed.

                      “Come here.”

                      “What? Why?” Soonyoung glanced at him curiously.

                      “Just come.”

                      “Okay…”  The blonde boy walked over to Jihoon and stopped in front of him.

                      “Promise you won’t scream or anything, okay?” Jihoon fidgeted uncomfortably.

                      “I can’t promise I won’t scream.  It depends on what it is.” Soonyoung said, flabbergasted, and quite frankly, a little scared.  All possible scenarios played out through his head.

  1. Lee Jihoon would finally crack and ing break his neck
  2. Lee Jihoon would be very sympathetic and tell him that he understood what he was going through
  3. Lee Jihoon would yell at him and then ignore him for the next few days
  4. Someone comes in and saves him before anything serious can happen

                      To be honest, none of them seemed any better than the other.

                      So Soonyoung just prayed that Chan wouldn’t have to call 911 for him.

                      Jihoon grabbed his face roughly and then jammed his mouth onto Soonyoung’s.

                      Oh. My. ing. God.

                      Before Soonyoung’s sleep deprived mind could process anything, Jihoon pulled away and speed walked out of the room, leaving the other boy frozen in surprise.

                      What was that? It was out of nowhere, it was sudden, it was nice, it was a kiss.

                      It was a kiss.

                      And Soonyoung liked it.

                      For the rest of the day, he certainly didn’t think about the dream, but his attention kept wandering back to JIhoon’s soft lips pushed against his and how he actually enjoyed it.

 

 

                      Argh! It was the same dream again, for the seventh night in a row.  Sitting on the floor, he carefully pieced the puzzle together.  And it fit together perfectly, not too loose and not too tight (as always).  Yet Soonyoung picked up the last piece and it just wouldn’t cram in (as always).   When would this dream end? When would the puzzle piece finally fit?

                      He pulled at his hair, grinding his teeth together.  Why was sleeping and dreaming so tiring now?  Trying to relax, Soonyoung closed his eyes and let his arms drop beside him again.

                      “Soonyoung.”

                      The boy looked up in surprise.  No one else had ever been in this dream before.

                      Lee Jihoon stood above him.

                      “Are you going to finish the puzzle?” Jihoon said softly.  He held out his hand and unclenched his fist.  Slowly, he dropped something into Soonyoung’s hands.

                      It was another puzzle piece.

                      It held the same memories, but this time with an addition; the brief, fluttering kiss that happened that day.

                      With shaking hands, Soonyoung picked up the piece and placed it in the center of the puzzle, sliding right in.  By the time he looked up, the pink haired boy was gone, along with the piece that wouldn’t fit.

                      And then he woke up.

                      But that morning, instead of feeling disgruntled and uncomfortable, he felt content.

 

 

                      And almost too quickly, everything was back to normal.  The charismatic, bundle of energy that bounced around correctly everyone’s choreography with a sharp eye was back.   The day after the ordeal, as the other members slowly trickled out of the practice room, Soonyoung found himself alone with Jihoon, again.

                      There was a stretch of silence, and then Soonyoung cleared his throat.

“I want to talk about what happened yesterda-“ Soonyoung began.

                      In a flash, Jihoon was up on his feet and hurrying towards the door.

                      “Wait!” Soonyoung grabbed the strawberry haired boy’s sleeve.  “I…”
                      “I really like you.”

                      Staring up at the taller boy, Jihoon gaped at Soonyoung, not quite processing what he just said.

                      “Like…romantically?” Jihoon asked, squinting his eyes in suspicion.

                      Soonyoung almost gave up right then and there and jumped out a window.  “Are you serious? Of course!”

                      “Well, I really like you too,” Jihoon answered, and then suddenly stood on his tiptoes and brushed his lips against Soonyoung’s flushed cheek.

 

                      Your feelings towards me were the missing piece.

                      Your feelings.

                      You.

 

 

                      Jihoon stared at the puzzle in front of him.  Every piece was in place, fitting together smoothly.  Yet, sitting in his palm was an extra piece.  His puzzle was completed already though, and he just couldn’t figure out where this extra piece was supposed to go.

                      I guess I have an extra piece.  Someone must be missing their last piece.

                      But he didn’t dwell on it much, because when he looked back down at the piece, it was already gone.


short and i probably completely ruined a cute idea with my terrible writing skills ;;