Chapter 8: Push and Pulls

A Week with iKON
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Catching my breath, I glanced at Junhoe who is panting at the same pace I do and crystal like sweat running down his cheeks.

"Here." I offered my handkerchief. He hesitated taking it from me but I forced it his hand. From the look of his face and the way his sweat blurs it, he can't reject my offer. Plus if he knows the fact that I don't usually let other people touch my things, he should be grateful I'm letting him have the honor.

He wiped his soaked face and returned my handkerchief immediately. I tucked it in my pocket.

"Junhoe and Hyerin are there!" Guess who planned this hide and seek game? 

Yes, Jinhwan.

I don't even have to say it aloud. Again, its one of his ideas to make everyone closer. Being the eldest has its advantages too. Well, no one wins over him when he wants his plans to happen. Spoiled hyung to his dongsaengs.

"Run." Hanbin and Hani found us again. Do we have a GPS tracker attached to us or are they just born hunters?

They are the it of today's game and the first team that they would catch will be their servant for a day. Of course they should be since two of them supported this idea and apparently, they were bored (they were because I'm not. Not when I'm lying on the bed) that they happen to agree to this just so they have something to do while waiting for the staffs to arrive.

And did I mention that our hands are tied together?

We started running around the place again, looking for a hiding place and squeezing ourselves anywhere we could fit in.

I felt my breathing deepen. Bad sign.

We ran another loop, hoping to tire out the hungry hunters and lose their line of sight. When I saw a medium sized bush at the back of the house, I dragged Junhoe to duck behind it. I trust this bush to let us escape the punishment of being a servant for a day.

"Why are we even here?" He struggled as he keep his long self bent behind the medium sized bush. It was medium sized for me but for him, it must be too small. Let's blame his useless height for that.

"Keep quiet and put your head down." He's not in the place to complain after I find this perfect hiding spot. If he's struggling with his bent self, I'm suffering with my breathing too. We're even.

We finally exhaled relief when we saw them run past us but my breath became shallower. This is not good. .

"They're gone." Junhoe stood up and I was pulled with him because of our tied hands. He started walking at his pace which is really hard for me because you are aware how abnormally long his legs are and mine are just normal.

"Wait.." My breathing gradually getting faster. I should have took the bad signs seriously.

"I.." I gasped for air. "I can't b-breathe." This is it. The moment I am most worried about. I should have refused to join this game with all the verbal ability I have.

"Don't talk." I'm not far from dying and that's all he can say? Don't talk? Then how am I supposed to live when he is stopping me from asking for help?

I tried to run away from him to ask help from a compassionate person in this house but it was useless, our hands are tied.

"Where do you think you're going?" He pulled me back and busied himself with his pocket. Can't he understand?

I. Am. Dying!

"You are.. killing.. me. I need.. help." I managed to say in between my pants. The place was so quiet that there was nothing to be heard except heavy inhales and exhales.

"I said stop talking and stay there." He pulled out my inhaler from the pocket he's been busy with up to now.

"Here." He put it closer to my mouth and poof! A shot of relief to end this struggle. 

I took another shot.

Oh my God, thank you Lord! I feel life in me again. I thought I'd die in the hands of this monster.

"Breathe in through your nose and out to your mouth." He guided me. This is quite a surprise! Not that he's helping me but the way he's doing it. He is so familiar with what he's doing that he almost sounds like our school nurse.

"Just to make sure." His other hand held my chin once again and the other putting the inhaler in my mouth. I feel better but my panting has not subsided yet.

I see. Guy Monster is not a bad monster after all. His chest has a heart for needy people, which is unexpected because of all the treatment I got from him. Is this finally the start of an amity between us?

And before I forgot, I have to express my gratitude.

"Th-thank..y-"

"You can thank me later when your breathing stabilizes. For now, shut up." Okay, that's what I said too, didn't I? He needs a language workshop or whatever you call that thing that can make him use better words when talking to people.

We walked in and how lucky we are to bump Hanbin on the way.

"There you are! Junhoe and Hye-" He was so glad to tell the world that he already found us but after analyzing Junhoe's glare he stopped. He looked at us before backing up and realizing the situation.

"Oh, sorry. Are you alright, Hyerin?"

"Yes."

"Are you sure?"

"I'm fine, Hanbin." I nodded and gave him an assuring smile.

•••••

Junhoe gave me a glass of water as we both sat down at the living room. What has gotten into him? He became kind overnight.

"How do you feel?"

"Better."

Maybe I value the words thank you and I'm sorry a lot that I never forgot I haven't thanked him yet for his helpful act earlier.

"Uh Junhoe... thank you. If it wasn't for your help, maybe I'm in the hospital by now." I held the glass between my palms and stared at it instead of his face. You know my pals (blushing and chest pounding) would visit me again if I dare look at him.

"No problem. Just know that I'm no longer indebted to you."

"I don't remember any debt." Did I lend him money? Or did he borrow anything?"

"This. You helped me last night too." He raised his injured thumb in the air. So that was the debt? I'm not planning to use that against him. He didn't have to return it back.

"So you did think I'm that low." This only concludes one thing — he's a fraud. I mean the help he gave was. It was clearly insincere and he wouldn't have done it if I didn't show him kindness last night because there isn't a convincing force to make him do so. 

Very disappointing.

"Then I guess we're even. No need to care for each other again." I gave him a straight cold look. The gratefulness I feel for him was up by his words. Indebted? Huh. His natural self doesn't fail to show everytime. He's still Guy Monster.

In the first place, why did I even think that that monster will help me out of care? There is no reason to do that. I'm so stupid.

"Hey, hey, hey! What happened to you?" I may have frozen him alive with my cold look if it wasn't for Bobby's interruption.

"Are you alright now?" Donghyuk took a seat beside me. His simple question sounds more sincere than Junhoe's words earlier. Sorry not sorry but I can't help but compare.

"Yes. Thanks to him." I gave an eye to that monster. I hope he understands eye language so he knows how much he displeases me.

"You better rest." I wasn't informed that Jinhwan and I are close enough for him to ruffle my hair as he talked to me. But anyway, I prefer this than pretentious acts.

"I'll take you." Donghyuk and Junhoe said it in unison. There was a long pause afterwards and all eyes are on us three. "Sure, Donghyuk." I linked arms with him but I kept my eyes on Junhoe. Who said I can't act sassy too? And I'm not done yet...

"We just evened up, Junhoe ssi. I don't want to be indebted too." Clean and clear. Well said, Hyerin. I want to applaud myself if it wouldn't ruin my tough act. Ain't I doing him a favor? He doesn't want arrears, I don't give him

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter