Ice Ice Baby

PokéDrabbles

Ice Ice Baby
( note: this takes place a while ago before the traveling trio meet sunggyu )

 

 


Sunggyu knows that this is a bad idea. Hell, he’s known it’s a bad idea from the start. But he never passes up a chance to train harder, especially with things like the Sinnoh League coming up. He has to be in top form or he’ll get beat out.

But maybe it’s a bad idea to train his dragon Pokémon in an ice cave because ice is kind of super effective against dragon types. His Dragonair is s around his body and resting its head in the nook of Sunggyu’s neck in an attempt to get warm. Sunggyu wishes he didn’t choose an ice cave to train in. His Pokémon are too weak to battle anymore but he’s too deep into this cave to find his way out. Sunggyu feels like a complete idiot because he didn’t bring an escape rope so he’s stuck in this cold corner and he doesn’t know when some wild ice Pokémon will come and attack him.

With a sigh he takes out his last max repel from his bag and sprays it around him. It will make sure no wild Pokémon attack for the time being and should last him quite a while. But he needs to be able to get out of here before the effects wear off.

“I should’ve just spent my money on that escape rope,” he mutters to himself as he starts wandering around the cave aimlessly. “Would’ve made this a lot easier and less stressful. But no – I just had to splurge on those beautiful master balls.” His Dragonair lets out a noise of judgement and Sunggyu rolls his eyes. “Well, sorry that I wanted to catch more Pokémon! It’s not my fault that they’re so expensive!” Dragonair rolls its eyes and Sunggyu rolls his eyes too. He must be going crazy if he’s sassing his Dragonair back.

He must have been sassing back for longer than he remembers because he’s walking and something crashes into him. He falls flat on his and hopes that his max repel wasn’t defective and that’s it’s not a giant Abomasnow that he’s bumped into.

But instead when he looks up there’s another trainer who’s fallen flat onto his stomach. His hair is platinum blond and Sunggyu thinks he kind of looks ridiculous.

“Hey!” the other exclaims, sitting up from the ground. “Watch where you’re going!”

“Me?” Sunggyu snaps as he stands up. “I think you should watch where you and your giant Ninetails are going.” He looks up and glances at the other Pokémon behind the big Ninetails and adds, “And your Lapras.”

“Excuse you, sir – my Ninetails and Lapras are contenders for this year’s Grand Festival.” He flips his platinum blond hair and places a hand on his two large Pokémon. “My double performance is going to blow whatever you have out of the water.”

“You think I’m a coordinator?! No, no – I’m here training for the Sinnoh League! My dragon Pokémon are just… weak in this cave is all.” He sends a side glance towards his Dragonair who rolls its eyes again and Sunggyu wants to mouth it off a little bit. But maybe the trainer in front of him will think he’s crazy if he starts cursing at his Dragonair. “What’s a coordinator doing in an ice cave?!”

“For your information, I’m strengthening my Lapras’ ice moves so that he and Ninetails will have an amazing double entrance. Not that you would know, you Sinnoh League battler.” He scoffs. “Have you ever even won the Sinnoh League?”

Sunggyu gives him a look of disbelief like he is an idiot. “Do you think I’d be entering this year’s Sinnoh League if I’d already won?” Shaking his head, he says, “I knew all coordinators were just airheads.”

“I am not an airhead! I am one of the best Pokémon coordinators in the entire Sinnoh region and I’m aiming for my fourth Grand Festival win!”

Sunggyu scoffs and laughs mockingly. “You’re one of those stupid coordinators that probably dye their hair to match their Pokémon, aren’t you?”

“It’s not stupid!” the coordinator says, running a hand through his platinum blond hair. “I will let you know that the more I match with my Pokémon the more points I will gain as a coordinator!”

“Pfft! I bet you don’t even know how to battle!”

“I do too! Every great coordinator starts as a trainer and battling just so happens to be part of the contests.”

“You’d never beat my Pokémon – I’ve got all the gym badges and people are betting that I’m going to win the Sinnoh League,” Sunggyu says proudly.

But the blond man is just as proud as says, “Yeah, well I’m the top contestant for this year’s Grand Festival. I’m the one to beat!”

“Yeah, I’m sure there’s a line of people waiting to beat you up.”

“Trainer trash!”

“Coordinator crap!”

“Ugh, I’m leaving!”

“Fine by me!”

The coordinator returns Lapras to its Pokéball and turns away with Ninetails in tow. The two huff and turn away from each other, stomping as they leave. It’s only when Dragonair makes a noise in Sunggyu’s ear that he sighs and agrees.

“Yeah, I probably shouldn’t have been a jerk to my only chance of getting out of this cave.” Dragonair huffs, smokes coming out of its nostrils in puffs. “Okay, okay, I’ll go apologize.”

Except when he turns around, the coordinator is running back to him, looking urgent. “Okay!” the coordinator exclaims. “I know we kind of hate each other, but I’m kind of lost so I need your help.”

Damn it. “Oh. I’m lost too.”

“…Oh.”

“…Oh.”

“Uh.” The coordinator scratches his hair embarrassedly. “So, I guess we’ll have to find a way out of this cave together then…? Better than alone, right?”

“Yeah, I guess so.” Sunggyu eyes the beautiful Ninetails behind him and says, “At least, Ninetails is a fire type, right? You can probably find a way out of this ice easily with a flamethrower or something.”

“Oh, right. Yeah, it should be easy with my Ninetails.”

“Good.” Sunggyu smiles for the first time. “And sorry for calling you coordinator crap.”

The other tries at a smile as well. “Sorry for calling you trainer trash.”

“My name is Sunggyu.”

“I’m Woohyun.”

 

 

 

 

“Oh my Arceus, you spent an hour dancing in the corner with your Ninetails, I can’t believe you.”

“I just wanted to get practice in! That’s not a crime!”

“No but we were trying to get out of an ice cave and you kept dancing in the corner with your fire Pokémon – you know, the only Pokémon that could’ve gotten us out of there!”

“Please,” Woohyun scoffs as they exit the cave together. “If anything, it’ll only make me a better coordinator.”

Sunggyu sighs. “Yeah, but I just sat with my Dragonair in the corner watching you throw flamethrower after flamethrower at the ice and making it shatter into glittering pieces over and over again.”

“Wasn’t it pretty though?” Woohyun asks, his eyes glimmering in excitement. “You know, I think for my double performance entrance I’ll have Lapras use ice beam and Ninetails use fire blast and make it rain fire crystals. Or maybe Lapras will use water pulse and Ninetails will use will-o-wisp! There are so many cool entrance ideas…”

Sunggyu smiles tiredly and just pets his Dragonair’s head. “It sounds like you’re going to have a blast. I hope you do well in the competition.”

“You’re going to come watch me, right?”

“What?”

Woohyun grins at him cheekily. “You just spent an hour watching my train my Ninetails – you’ve got to be there for the real thing to see how it all turns out. Okay?”

“Only if you promise to come see me compete in the Sinnoh League,” Sunggyu replies with a playful smile. “And if you buy me dinner after you win your festival.”

If I win.”

“Yeah, if you win your Grand Festival thing, you have to buy me dinner. Deal?”

“Deal?”

It doesn’t sound much to like a fair deal, but both of them are okay with. And maybe even a little excited because deep down, they both know that Woohyun is going to win the Grand Festival and that he’s going to treat Sunggyu to dinner.

And Sunggyu really can’t wait.


 

a.n. -- 

aka how sunggyu met woohyun. yay for first woogyu drabble! hope you're all still enjoying :) be ready for yadong and more myungyeol heading your way! :D 

pokemon referenced 

dragonair -- abomasnow-- ninetails -- lapras

-- quinnie --
ask.fm twitter