1/2

The Fine Line
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It was a nice warm Saturday morning -- one you would've used to catch up on well needed sleep with -- but apparently that was far from reality.

God, sometimes you really hated Kihyun.

You finally dragged your body out of bed and over to your desk, where your phone had been buzzing for several minutes now. You answered it just in time and sighed heavily. "Jee, thanks for the consideration. I hope you realize I won't be able to go back to sleep now."

"Sleep? It's noon," Kihyun replied calmly. You rolled your eyes and pursed your lips. On every other day of the week, it was you trying to yank him out of bed. "You know... your voice sounds really nice when you're sleepy."

"Kihyun!" you blurted, not in the mood to be flustered. "Get to the point."

He didn't realize it but those small comments here and there really danced on your nerves. Hiding your crush on him was getting harder and harder each day, especially with Kihyun getting so comfortable around you.

"Right," Kihyun replied, a slight chuckle b his voice. "Head over to my place, will you? I need your help."

You sighed and of course he heard it. "Please?"

You shook your head, already heading to the bathroom. "Give me fifteen minutes."

 

///


Kihyun's place was not very far from yours, so maybe the favor wasn't as big as you were making it out to seem, but you had to huff and puff a little to keep him from getting too greedy with your favors.

He opened the door a few moments after your knock and you found your best friend shirtless, boxers riding too low for you to suppress a flutter in the pit of your stomach. Not that you'd let that show on your face, though.

"For Christ's sakes," you said, moving past him. "I gave you fifteen minutes and you couldn't bother to put on some pants."

"Why would I?" Kihyun said. "This is more comfortable. When have you ever minded this?"

You rolled your eyes. You'd known Kihyun for three years now and yeah, it was easy to say he'd gotten very comfortable around you. Well, you'd gotten comfortable around him, too, but not like that. Jeez, he really had no shame at all.

You moved to his living room, about to take a seat, when you heard someone shuffling in his bathroom. You glanced over your shoulder and gave him a pointed look. "Kihyun-"

"Thanks for the help," Kihyun said playfully before taking his coffee and heading back to his room.

So that's what 'help' was. Well, it wouldn't be the first time you acted like his jealous girlfriend to get his drunken one-night stand out of his apartment quicker. Didn't mean you wanted to, though.

You sighed as the doorknob twisted and the door opened.

The girl looked like she could be pretty if she cleaned herself up, but now she looked like a mess. And she was staring right at you.

"Oh my god, who the hell are you?!" you shrieked and you imagined Kihyun was plugging his ears now, wincing at your shrill voice. You hoped so.

"Wh-who are you?" the girl replied, her voice shaky as she brought her purse close to her chest. She gulped as your expression darkened and you took a step closer to her.

"I'm Kihyun's girlfriend, that's who!" you yelled. God, it was too early to be screaming like this, but the faster this girl was out the faster you could fall asleep on Kihyun's couch.

"Oh my god, I didn't know he had a girlfriend!" the girl gasped, looking completely mortified. "We didn't do anything, I swear! We just kissed for a little while and I fell asleep."

You closed your eyes, half for the show, half because you really did not want to hear that. You knew what he did, but you hated hearing about it. You reopened your eyes and exhaled, voice coming out calm. "Just leave. Leave now."

The girl nodded quickly and scurried past you, through the door. This hurt girlfriend act was looking more and more realistic.

As soon as the door shut, Kihyun's door opened and he poked his head out. "Thanks!"

You squinted. "Did you really just kiss?"

Kihyun nodded, not seeming to know why it mattered to you, but not caring to ask why. "Yup."

"Promise?"

"Promise."

You paid no further attention to him when you pushed his bedroom door open and collapsed on his bed.

A few moments later, you felt the bed sink a little and opened your eyes to find Kihyun next to you. You scrunched your nose. "I wanted the bed all to myself."

"It's my bed," Kihyun mumbled back, eyes closed.

"Fine, then I'm showering," you said, getting up with a sigh. "I hope you won't mind me using your grey hoodie. It's my favorite."

"Why don't you ever want to sleep in the same bed as me?" Kihyun asked, leaning up on his elbows.

"Why do you have a problem with it?" you asked, raising an eyebrow.

"We're best friends," Kihyun replied, eyes following you as you made your way to his door.

"Exactly," you said, with a lot more emphasis than you anticipated. "We're best friends, Kihyun. We're not screwing each other."

Kihyun looked amused. "Well, never say never."

You glared before walking out and slamming his door behind you. "Oh shut up."


///


Kihyun was freshly changed when you came out of the bathroom. You wrinkled your nose. "Please tell me you showered before I came."

"Of course I did," Kihyun replied as he let his eyes drift down your body.

You may have had a crush on him, but it didn't mean you allowed him to eye you whenever he pleased. Not when he did that to every other pretty girl he saw

"Kihyun," you hissed, snapping until his eyes flickered back to yours. "My eyes are up here."

"Well, what can I say? My best friend has nice legs," Kihyun replied with a smirk. He saw your unchanging glare and he shook his head, smirk shrinking. "Okay, okay. Well, I'm off to work. You can stay here if you want. Wonho might swing by in an hour though to grab a few things."

You nodded, already falling comfortably on his sofa. "Okay, well I have to leave in a bit. I have a date."

Kihyun looked more alert now. "Date? You didn't tell me about a date."

"Yeah, it's sort of last minute," you casually replied, focusing more on your phone. "Some guy from work."

Kihyun's expression didn't lend much when you glanced up at him. "So what's this guy like? You like him more than me?"

You snorted. "Oh, way more."

Kihyun rolled his eyes. "Well when your date goes sour, you know where to come back to."

"Oh?" you said, giving him a look. "Who says it'll go sour? What if I don't come back at all?"

Of course you were teasing him, gauging his reaction to see how he liked being on the opposite end for once. You hardly dated ever, but it was because you never really expressed much interest in anyone. That was probably why Kihyun was making such a big deal now.

Kihyun already had his back turned but you somehow could sense something different in him. He scraped up his keys and opened the door. "Well, see you later then. I'm off to work."

He'd already closed the door before you had the chance to reply.


///


The date was as lame as Kihyun had predicted but your pride kept you from going to his place. Instead, you called your friend, Mari, up and met with her for drinks.

"Surprised you actually remember I exist," she joked. "Seems Kihyun's the only friend you need now days, huh."

You gave her a curious look. "What does that mean?"

"It means you and Kihyun are basical

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter