1/1

The Drinking Habit
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Hurry up and put something on!” Jackson rose from the old bean bag and slapped Mark's flat tummy as he made his way to the closet in the far corner of the room. “We're already late!”

Wearily lounging on the bed with one arm thrown over his eyes, the older boy didn't even spare him a glance. “How can you be late for a college party?”

“Well, most of the booze will be gone and all the hot chicks taken by the time you get your lazy up.”

“I think I'll pass.”

“Come on, man. It's gonna be fun.” Jackson had quickly rummaged through his friend's clothes before taking out a pair of jeans and a white tee, both looking passable and clean enough. “This will do. Here.”

“I already said like an hour ago I would stay at home.” Mark's protest was muffled by the piece of clothing that landed on his face.

“And I've just decided that you're going.”

“I won't know anybody there.”

“How come? You will know me. And the guys are coming too.” Jackson checked himself out in the mirror to make sure every hair was still in its place. “Besides, aren't parties about meeting new people?”

“Are you, guys, done?” A voice called out.

“Not really.”

A second later, their roommate stuck his head round the door. “For dudes, you're taking an awful lot of time to get ready, just saying.”

“Mark is trying to back out again.” Jackson raised his eyebrows at Jaebum, who understanding the situation immediately, plopped himself down on the bed next to Mark, putting an arm around his shoulder.

“Yah, what's wrong? It's been a long time since all of us hang out together.”

“Don't be a party pooper and come with us, Maaark.” Jackson cooed and clung to his other side.

Under the pressure of the cringe-worthy aegyo his two grown- friends were able to display, Mark threw his hands in the air with a defeatist sigh.

“Fine! But you'd better hope there is a lot of food, otherwise I'm leaving.”

 

-

 

“Who's throwing the party, anyway?” Mark asked after they got off the subway, a few stations away from their apartment.

“Already told you, Bomi.”

When it seemed that Mark wasn't catching on yet, Jaebum glanced at him with a slight look of disbelief. “Jinyoung's new girlfriend? She's not from our college, but you've already met her in the coffee shop, where Jinyoung works.”

An image of a bright girl with light brown waves and silly smile flashed before his eyes. “Ah, Bomi.”

“Will the other girls be there?”

“I think so – they are roommates after all.”

“I hope Eunji noona will. I love that girl, she's so much fun to be with.”

Jaebum laughed at Jackson's comment. “I guess you would know the best.”

Mark noticed their knowing grins as they said that. “Who's Eunji noona?”

“You wouldn't have to ask that AND remember Bomi noona if you actually went out with us sometimes.” Jackson remarked cheekily, his face the embodiment of innocence. In response to that, Mark only shoved his elbow into Jackson's ribs.

 

-

 

It took them less then ten minutes to get to the girl's place, which turned out to be in one of the tall tenements in the old part of the town. Since they could hear the loud music blasting even out on the streets, they immediately knew they were on the right address. The three of them entered the building, and then rode the noisy shaky elevator to the second floor. Jaebum with Jackson and Mark on his tail, followed the thumping bass vibrating through the floorboards of the long hall until they reached the door with a crooked number 19 on it. Not being sure if their arrival would be even registered for the noisy music, Jackson leaned his whole weight on the doorbell, causing it to ring annoyingly without ceasing.

The door flew open, only to reveal their friend Jinyoung, who welcomed them with his signature cat-smile before grabbing the back of Jackson's neck, since the guy forgot he was still pushing the button.

“Hey, guys, I'm glad you've made it! Wow, and this time, you even managed to drag along this loser with you.” It was now Mark's turn to be held in the headlock. “Now that's calling for a toast.”

“Yah, who are you calling loser.”

“Well, not even a month of dating, but here you are, co-hosting a party with your lovely girlfriend.” Jaebum teased as he beamed at his friend.

“Hyung! I'm just helping Bomi and the other girls out. There's nothing wrong about being a good boyfriend.”

“Seems like playing house to me.”

As Jinyoung was about to throw himself on Jackson and strangle him with his bare hands for the unnecessary teasing, his girlfriend appeared by his side. “Oh, welcome! It's so good to see you, all. Come in, don't stand there on the doorstep.” Bomi gave them one of her sparkling smiles, inviting them inside the small but cozy apartment.

“Now that's what I'm calling throwing a super slamming party, noona!” Jackson shouted, slowly letting the beats and rhythm taking over his body.

“Thanks!” Bomi screamed back, then she nudged Jinyoung. “Hon, can you help us with the keg? By the way, the drinks and food are in the kitchen, so make yourselves at home, okay?”

“Oh, don't worry, you know we will.” Jaebum winked at the girl before she retreated with Jinyoung into the kitchen.

Mark, who besides his greetings didn't uttered a word, silently scanned the place and the people surrounding him. As he was looking around, he suddenly locked eyes with a rather short girl on the other side of the room. A wave of shyness immediately hit him, but the girl only raised the glass of wine she was holding. Her eyes sent him a casual wink, which Mark returned with a faint smile that might have not been even noticed.

 

-

 

Two hours later, Mark was reminded once again why the prospect of spending his night at a college party had never seemed so thrilling to him as to his friends. Being squeezed by sweaty bodies of his drunken peers, making meaningless conversations you could not even make out in the loud music, or getting wasted to experience the painful consequences of hangover the next morning, were not really high up on his to-do list. Which is why he was now awkwardly sandwiched between a half-asleep kid, who was using Mark's shoulder as a pillow, and a couple, whose hands and tongues were literally everywhere. The guy kind of looked like his friend and hoobae, Bambam, but Mark had no desire to verify his assumption.

“Seungyoon-ah, I think you've had enough. Go home, sleepyhead, we won't let you crash on our couch for a night anyway.”

The soft husky voice belonged to a girl, whom he recognized as the one who had winked at him earlier.

Our couch? Is she one of Bomi's roommates then?

She patted the boy leaning against Mark on his face, then proceeded to shake his shoulder. Seungyoon's eyes fluttered open for a brief moment as he slid down from the sofa, only to doze off again, his limbs spread out on the floor.

“I need to find Minho quickly.” She muttered as she positioned herself next to Mark, bringing the red cup in her hands to her lips afterwards. The liquid in there looked like orange juice but as far as he could tell by the smell, laced with lots of vodka.

“Is he going to be okay?”

“Yeah, nothing that few hours of sleep won't fix. He has been partying for three days straight, I think.” With a chuckle, the girl shrugged and poked the lying figure with the tip of her foot. “Our Seungyoonie is just enjoying his mid-term break too much, am I right?”

Mark only nodded, since he had no idea what to say. He wasn't really a social butterfly, so random talks with strangers couldn't be counted among his specialities.

“What about you? You don't look like you're having a good time.” She pointed out as she watched him playing with an empty plastic cup.

“No, it's great.” Mark reassured her. After all, she was kind of organizing the party too. “I guess, I'm just not a fan of crowdy events.”

“Riiight.” She stretched out the word, eyebrows furrowed in deep thought, while she took a look at him once again. “You came with Jaebum and Jackson, didn't you?”

“Yeah.”

“Then you must be Mark!” Suddenly, she snapped her fingers triumphan

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter