Countdown Until We Meet

Halloween Soul Mate Collection

Prince Jaehwan was always worried when it came to his soul mate. He was kind of worried that he would never get to meet his soul mate. They lived in a world with magic and dragons and witches and a whole host of things that could easily kill a person. The chances that his soul mate would die before he’d even seen them was a horrifying thought.

Another fear was that he would never get to be with his soul mate. Jaehwan was a prince, his parents wanted him to marry a princess. If his soul mate was anything less, then his would be forbidden from being with them. He would be forced to marry someone his parents wanted. Someone ‘more worthy of his rank’ as they told him.

Jaehwan hated them for that, hated that his soul mate had to be one of the empty headed princesses that surrounded him or he’d be without them. He wished he could be like the prince he’d heard about from several kingdoms over. That prince had run away from his rank and gone to live with the dragons. It had been this huge event and sent a bit of a panic throughout the royals.

Jaehwan clearly remembered his parents scorning the prince before telling Jaehwan to never even dream of doing the same. Jaehwan remembered all the princes laughing at this prince, constantly throwing insults until a new piece of gossip came into existence. All the princesses had bemoaned the loss of an attractive potential husband, but openly scorned the prince’s actions as they were deemed unbefitting a future king.

Jaehwan had thought the young prince brave to run away, to leave this life and never go back. He envied the prince as well, wished he could do the same. But Jaehwan was too much of a coward to try something so brave.

Instead, Jaehwan just looked at the counter on his arm and prayed that when the six years, seven months, two days, five hours, twenty three minutes, and three seconds were up he would be able to be with his soul mate.

And Jaehwan did this every day after, watching as the time went by.

In his eighteenth year, however, Jaehwan found that he could not just sit and wait any longer. His parents had looked at his counter, scoffed at the time left on it, and informed him that they saw no point in waiting any longer. Jaehwan was going to be wed to a princess within the month. Then he would take the thrown and provide them with grandchildren.

Simply as that.

Jaehwan had no say in the matter.

So Jaehwan decided to run.

He was no brave knight, he couldn’t fight very well. If he ran into danger, he’d most likely die. But staying and doing as his parent’s wished was not an option. He could not marry a girl of their choosing. He decided that he would only be with his soul mate. Well, assuming his soul mate was to his…..preference.

Within three days of his parents’ announcement, Jaehwan had gathered all he felt he would need. A map to the mountain that the dragons lived in, a sword so he could at least try to fight back should he get into trouble, his crown since at the very least he could trade it for food, a nice little sum of money, and a book he found in the library on dragons. When the sun finally set on the third day, Jaehwan snuck out and never looked back.

He walked the whole way to the dragon’s den, sometimes wishing he’d at least worn more comfortable shoes. But he could deal with sore feet so long as he didn’t have to return home. And when Jaehwan really thought about it, going right back home was a very good possibility. Dragons didn’t often take princes as their…..hostages…….. prisoners…… captives……..……whatever. They took princesses. And then those princesses were rescued by a prince or knight. That was just how things were done.

Jaehwan could easily make it to the dragons’ mountain and be sent away because they didn’t want a prince. But maybe he would be lucky. Maybe he would turn out like that other prince. Last Jaehwan had heard, he’d been doing very well. Well, that was what the letter he’d apparently sent his parents said anyway.

“Kazul,” a voice suddenly called out from above, “drop down. I want to know what this guy is doing all the way out here.”

“Probably just a knight,” another voice replied and Jaehwan looked up to see a dragon hovering not too high up, looking down at him, a human shape peering over the dragon’s shoulder.

“Doesn’t look the type,” the human replied, “looks like a prince. And not the kind equipped to fight a dragon.”

“True,” the dragon nodded before landing, the impact shaking the ground a little, “please state your name and business, prince. I wish to know what one such as yourself is doing so close to a mountain known to house dragons.”

“Um,” Jaehwan took a deep breath, “I am Jaehwan, of the Etrian kingdom. I have come to this area looking for a dragon who would be interested in taking me as their prince.”

“A prince volunteering for a dragon?” the human asked before he burst out laughing, “oh my, Sanghyuk is going to enjoy this.”

“Hush, Hongbin,” the dragon, Kazul said, but she was clearly getting enjoyment out of this, “it’s rude to laugh like this.”

“Right,” Hongbin nodded, quickly getting hold of himself, “so, Jaehwan was it? Why do you want to become a dragon’s prince?”

“My family is forcing me to marry a princess,” Jaehwan explained, “and I don’t want to.”

“Why not?” Hongbin pressed, “as empty headed as some of them can be, getting married to one can’t be so bad. And it’s not like they’re empty headed by choice either, it’s this blasted society they live in.”

“I want to marry my soul mate,” Jaehwan replied, holding up his arm to show off the counter.

“Oh,” Kazul blinked, “it would seem you’ve made a wise choice to come here then.”

“Huh?” Jaehwan frowned in confusion before noticing his timer now said he only had a few hours to go before meeting his soul mate. But he’d been sure it said he had a few years to go when he last looked at it a few days ago.

“It wasn’t like this before?” Kazul clarified.

“No,” Jaehwan panicked slightly, “how could it have changed?”

“The time on your counter changes sometimes,” Hongbin shrugged, “it happens when you make choices all the time that affect your over all life. Running away from home for example.”

“Oh,” Jaehwan nodded.

“Come along,” Kazul offered, “you might as well meet the others.”

“Wait,” Hongbin frowned, “we’re taking him with us? Just like that?”

“His soul mate is within our caves,” Kazul shrugged slightly, “that’s the only place close enough with humans to fit what his counter says.”

“Maybe his soul mate is an elf,” Hongbin suggested, sounding slightly desperate, “or a witch or something. There are a couple settlements for both nearby.”

“Hongbin,” Kazul sighed, “you know a human can only be with a human.”

“Fine,” Hongbin sighed before returning his attention to Jaehwan, “come on, take my hand. Kazul can fly us back to the mountain. There, we’ll introduce you to everyone one.”

“Alright,” Jaehwan nodded after a short pause, “um…..alright.”

“You will be protected by myself,” Kazul said, “until such time as we can find you a dragon.”

“Thank you,” Jaehwan felt himself smile, feeling more happy then he ever had before.

The flight to the mountains felt weird to say the least. Jaehwan ended up holding onto Hongbin tightly for most of the ride, much to the other’s displeasure. And when they landed Jaehwan was off Kazul’s back in seconds, thanking the ground for existing.

“Let’s go,” Hongbin sighed, “we’re losing time.”

Jaehwan hesitated for a moment before Kazul lightly pushed him, silently encouraging him to follow Hongbin. Glancing back, Jaehwan decided to trust the dragon and did as prompted.

A short-ish walk though the endless caves and tunnels later, Jaehwan was greeted to the sight of four humans sitting around a table talking and playing cards. On the other side of the space, several dragons laid around watching the human.

“We have a new prince,” Kazul said when it became clear that Hongbin and Jaehwan weren’t going to talk.

“Kazul,” one of the dragons said, “why on earth would you need a new prince? Don’t you have enough trouble with just Hongbin?”

“Not for me, Frax,” Kazul sighed, “for someone who wants a prince.”

“One who wants to be a dragon’s prince,” Hongbin finally spoke up after noticing the different reactions the humans had had to the arrival of Jaehwan. In fact, he seemed rather happy after seeing their reactions, a total change from his earlier mood over Jaehwan’s arrival.

“Really?” another of the dragon’s said, “don’t get that too often.”

“Yes,” one of the human nodded, “last one was…….Hongbin, right?” the human turned to the others who nodded in agreement.

“Come to think of it,” another of the human said, “isn’t Hongbin the only prince who’s come here looking to be a dragon’s prince?”

“Wonsik is right,” the third human spoke up, “the last volunteer prince was Hongbin. But Hakyeon is also right.”

“How so?” Wonsik asked, “What do you know Sanghyuk?”

“This is hardly the only dragon nest,” Sanghyuk shrugged, “just the only one around here. Roxim took me to several different nests over the years, ones miles and miles away. A few of them had volunteer princes and princess.”

“So cool,” Hakyeon sighed before turning to his dragon, “Tokoz, why don’t you ever do that for me?”

“I’ve got better things to do they carry you around to random nests,” Tokoz huffed, “important dragons to met and tasty animals to eat. Oh, Sanghyuk, why on earth did you have to mention this to him? You know he’d ask me about going.”

“Sorry,” Sanghyuk laughed, “slip of the tongue.

“You should take him,” another dragon voiced, “it would be good exercise.”

“Are you saying I’m getting fat, Moranz?” Tokoz snapped, “I’ll have you know I’m just as fit now as I was in my youth.”

“No,” the last human spoke up, “he says that your old. Exercise will help keep your bones strong.”

“What?” Tokoz hissed, a bit of flame escaping his mouth.

“Taekwoon,” Moranz scowled slightly.

“Everyone,” the last dragon called out, “we’re losing focus of what matters here. We have a prince who needs a dragon.”

“Roxim is right,” Kazul nodded, “who do we know who would like a prince?”

“Woraug said he was looking for someone, right?” Tokoz asked.

“He just got a princess,” Wonsik reminded the room who’d started to agree, “He doesn’t need a prince. Don’t think he’d want one either.”

“Frax,” Sanghyuk suddenly said, “didn’t you mention something about needing someone to organize your treasure rooms? And your library is a mess too now that I think about it.”

“You’re right,” Kazul nodded, “Frax, you should take the boy.”

“Alright,” Frax said after a long moment of thought, “boy, what did you say your name was?”

“I’m Jaehwan,” Jaehwan said, stepping forewords slightly so that the dragon could see him better.

“Think you’re able to organize three treasure rooms and a library?” Frax asked.

“Yes,” Jaehwan nodded, confident that he would find a way to do that.

“Then you’ll be my prince,” Frax smiled slightly, sharp teeth glinting slightly in the light, “Sanghyuk, can you be a dear and take him to my cave. I have some business to take care of with Morgan.”

“Will do,” Sanghyuk said, getting up, “tell her that she needs to stop by Roxim’s cave. I’ve got some recipies she might like.”

“I shall,” Frax nodded before heading off.

“Shall we go?” Sanghyuk smiled slightly, turning his full attention to Jaehwan who nodded in reply.

Once the pair was gone, Hongbin spoke up.

“We aren’t going to mention Jaehwan’s counter?” he asked Kazul, quickly gaining the attention of everyone else.

“Wait,” Hakyeon frowned slightly, “what about his timer?”

“It ran out shortly after we arrived,” Kazul explained.

“About the same time he met Sanghyuk, correct?” Roxim smiled slightly, but everyone could see the slightly worried look in his eyes.

“So Sanghyuk has found his soul mate, huh?” Wonsik grinned, “awesome! He’ll be so happy.”

“Too bad it’s a prince,” Taekwoon pointed out, “if Jaehwan is important enough, someone will come for him.”

“Oh,” Kazul frowned, “that is a shame.”

“We’ll just have to protect him then,” Moranz shrugged, “Taekwoon and I both have plenty of experience with knights. We can think of something to keep Jaehwan here and safe.”

“Good,” Hongbin smiled.

“Yeah,” everyone else echoed, “very good.”

Elsewhere in the caves, Sanghyuk was pointing out some landmarks to Jaehwan so that the prince could find his way around.

“So,” Jaehwan asked, “how did you and the others find your way here? Did your dragon’s kidnap you?”

“Well,” Sanghyuk smiled slightly, “I was raised by the dragons.”

“What?” Jaehwan gasped, a look of wonder in his eyes, “They raised you?”

“Yeah,” Sanghyuk nodded, “Roxim found me when I was a baby. No parents, no home, just little baby Sanghyuk at the base of the mountain with only a blanket to keep me warn. He brought me here, raised me as best he could with the help of the other dragons and some of the nicer princess we had at the time.”

“Wow,” Jaehwan smiled, “what about the others?”

“Well,” Sanghyuk said, more than happy to tell Jaehwan all of this since he seemed to interested, “Hakyeon was a farmer’s son. He ran away from home and got lost in the mountains. Roxim and I found him and brought him back. He stayed with us for a few weeks before going to live with Tokoz.”

“So he’s not a prince?” Jaehwan asked, “But I thought dragons only took in royalty.”

“Normally,” Sanghyuk nodded, “but not always. Especially since most royalty are…….dim.” Jaehwan nodded.

“We’re encouraged to be that way,” Jaehwan sighed, “all we know is how to be a proper prince or princess. When it comes to actually knowing how to do things……..we have people for that.”

“Hongbin said the same when he came here,” Sanghyuk nodded, “that’s why he came here. Being a dragon’s prince was a better idea to him then living as a royal. Plus all those rules. Hongbin tried to actually do things, but was always told no and punished for being so……improper.”

“I see,” Jaehwan nodded, “what about the others?”

“Taekwoon was a knight,” Sanghyuk scowled slightly, “a great one too. Another knight didn’t like it, thought he was better, so he set Taekwoon up to come here and die fighting a dragon.”

“Dang,” Jaehwan frowned.

“But he fought Moranz,” Sanghyuk’s frown faded into a content expression, “and when he lost Moranz decided he would much rather have a servant then a dead knight. Taekwoon agreed and he’s been here ever since.”

“And Wonsik?” Jaehwan asked.

“Wonsik was born to a witch,” Sanghyuk sighed, “and a son born to a witch is said to be a bad omen. The coven kept him there until his mother, the head witch, died. Then they cast him out. He was only six at the time”

“That’s horrible,” Jaehwan hissed, “how could they do that to a child?”

“Witches can be like that sometimes,” was all Sanghyuk could say, “but at least Marchak found him before something bad could happen.”

“Yes,” Jaehwan smiled slightly.

“We’re here,” Sanghyuk said, coming to a stop before a cave.

Silver paint was smeared around the opening. Jaehwan had seen something similar on other caves and Sanghyuk explained that it was a marker that the humans within the dragons’ den used to tell what collection of caves belonged to what dragon. Sanghyuk didn’t need it, nor did any of the current human residents, but sometimes they got a prince or princess who couldn’t find their way out of a paper bag.

“Thank you,” Jaehwan smiled, bowing slightly.

“Before you go,” Sanghyuk glanced at Jaehwan’s arm, “your counter…….is it……at zero?”

“Um,” Jaehwan checked, silently berating himself for forgetting something so important, “yes. Yes it is.”

“Then,” Sanghyuk smiled slightly as he pulled up his shirt sleeve to show his own counter, “it’s nice to finally meet you.”

“It’s nice to meet you too,” Jaehwan smiled brightly. He was more than a little pleased to find that his soul mate wasn’t just handsome, but kind and smart and funny too. Handsome was a nice little bonus though.

“Before we start anything though,” Sanghyuk said, “I would like it if we became friends first. Got to know each other, you know?”

“Alright,” Jaehwan smiled, grateful that Sanghyuk had suggested something like that, “I like that idea.”

“I’ll leave you to get settled,” Sanghyuk waved for Jaehwan to enter Frax’s den, “keep going straight and you’ll find a cave at the end of this hall that’s furnished with human sized furniture. The closet is magic as well, so don’t worry about cloths.”

“That’s good,” Jaehwan laughed, “I didn’t bring many cloths. Just what’s on my back.”

“I’ll stop by in the morning,” Sanghyuk promised, “explain more things that you should know if you’re going to be a dragon’s prince.”

“Thank you,” Jaehwan smiled brightly, “I’ll look forewords to it.”

“See you in the morning then,” Sanghyuk said before he left. But before he headed off, he took Jaehwan’s hand a kissed it, “my prince.” Jaehwan blushed, especially when he noticed the playful glint in Sanghyuk’s eyes.

That night, Jaehwan fell asleep with a smile on his face as did Sanghyuk. Both looked forewords to the new day ahead of them, to the new relationship just starting to bloom between them.

A/N: so, I’d originally wanted to do a bigger thing with this. But……..couldn’t think of anything really good that I really wanted to do. Plus, I wanted this done before Halloween so……..maybe I’ll think of something good in time and do a whole thing for it, but for right now I think it’s good as is. The names for the dragons come from the books ‘Dealing with Dragons’ and ‘Searching for Dragons’ (one could argue that I got the whole idea to do a fantasy AU from the books as well)