I Still Love Him

Bibliophile

I've also posted this story on AO3: http://archiveofourown.org/works/5114291/chapters/11765984 

 


I rushed through the front door of Read Between The Lines, half an hour late and looking like crap. I’d cried myself to sleep last night, which then caused me to sleep through my alarm and gave me no time to make myself look presentable.

“You look like ” Yoongi stated bluntly.

“Oh I didn’t realize” I snapped sarcastically, I wasn’t in the mood to be around anyone, especially not Yoongi. He hated Gunwoo so much and he would probably say I told you so or go on some anti-Gunwoo rant, which I really couldn’t deal with at the moment.

“What’s up your ?” He ruffled his blonde hair with his hands, trying to hide his smile. Oh great, to make matters worse, Yoongi was still all love-struck from his night with Hoseok.

“Nothing” I tried to keep my tone light but I had obviously failed as Yoongi looked up at me with a raised eyebrow.

“Is it-“

“Don’t you dare even say it” I knew that he was thinking about Gunwoo and even though he was spot on about the cause of my anguish, no way was I telling him that. But I didn’t even have to say anything; Yoongi gave me a knowing look but was at least kind enough to shut up about it. 

For the first time in my life, I really didn’t want to be at work. I wanted to be home snuggled up in bed, immersing myself in the world of the latest crime mystery I had recently gotten into. The day seemed to drag on for years, every hour actually being only 5 minutes.

It was 1:30 when Yoongi tapped me on the shoulder. I had been standing, staring into space, for a while, a book I was supposed to put away left forgotten in my hands.

“Jaehwa, I think maybe you should go home” His brown eyes soft with concern. “Or I can take you out for lunch, we can talk or at least you’ll be able to clear your mind a bit”.

At the thought of food, my stomach grumbled noisily, I didn’t get to have breakfast and I hadn’t had a chance to eat all day. Yoongi laughed as my stomach gave me away. He grabbed his coat and his keys.

“Let’s go, my hungry caterpillar”

 

We walked in silence as we headed for this little restaurant that wasn’t too far from the store. I was grateful that he didn’t push me for information as he sometimes does; he must be able to tell that this time was different. I allowed my eyes to wander, taking in the quaint little shops and cute parks that were littered around. There were many flowers and plants too; most businesses had small gardens out the front, adding even more beauty to the scenery. The whole area was very green with splashes of reds, yellows, whites, blues, and violets, from all the beautiful specks of nature. The sky wasn’t as pretty, it had settled into a dark grey indicating the expected storm.  

It wasn’t until we had arrived at the restaurant and seated at a booth near the window that faced the park that Yoongi said anything at all.

“Talk to me” I wanted to because I knew he was good at listening and I need someone to talk to but I also didn’t want to because he wasn’t so good at advice when it came to Gunwoo.

What should I do? Dump him. But I love him. So?

That was how it went every time and it wasn’t what I wanted to hear right now.

“It’s Gunwoo obviously” He scoffed as the name left his lips. I stayed quiet, my eyes on the menu. Ignoring Yoongi for the moment, the restaurant really had some nice sounding dishes, a lot of pasta dishes, which made me happy because I loved pasta so much I could literally live eating nothing else but pasta.

“Jaehwa, don’t ignore me please” He used his best aegyo voice and pulled his lips into an exaggerated pout.

“God, Yoongi, give me some warning next time” I used my hands to cover the sight before me. “Really, that was horrendous”. I peeked though my fingers to see Yoongi smiling his gummy smile at me and I dropped my hands.

“So do you want to talk about it now?” His smile had gone and his expression was serious once again. I played with the pink lacey tablecloth that covered the smooth white table beneath it.

“What is there to say? Gunwoo stood me up again…hold the ‘I told you so’s please”

“On your anniversary?” His tone still kind and not malicious like it normally turned when Gunwoo’s name was brought up.

“Well technically I stood him up first” The thought suddenly occurred to me. Why was I so upset? I hadn’t shown up, he probably texted saying he couldn’t make it so that I wouldn’t feel bad for being late. “No, never mind, there’s been a misunderstanding” I stood up, pushing the wooden chair back under the table.

“Wait what?” Yoongi was obviously very confused at my sudden change of pace.

“I’m sorry, I have to go somewhere” I yelled to him, leaving out anything specific, though he probably had a good idea where I was going.

 

I knocked without hesitation when I made it to Gunwoo’s house. The house itself was quite nice. It was made with a creamy white coloured brick and had wide old-fashioned windows that used a pin to hold them closed. At the moment those windows were open, with the dark curtains fluttering in the slight breeze.

The door opened to reveal Chaejin, Gunwoo’s housemate and close friend. I was pretty close to him as well. I had first met him after Gunwoo and I had been dating for a couple weeks, he had wanted me to meet him at his house but was still out when I got there. Chaejin and I had instantly bonded over our love for anime, ramen and Gunwoo (though, of course, Chaejin’s love for Gunwoo was much like that of a brother, not a lover).

“Oh hello, Chaejin” I tried not to sound as out of breath and flustered as I really was, I had ran practically the whole 5km distance between the restaurant and his house.

“Jaehwa, I’m sorry, Gunwoo isn’t here” He rubbed the back of his neck, looking at me apologetically.

“Oh” Where would he be? I shivered as the wind changed directions, cursing myself for forgetting to grab a jumper this morning.

“Please come in, I don’t think he’ll be too long” He gently wrapped his hand around my wrist and pulled me inside, closing the door softly behind us. I followed him into the living room and sat on the brown leather sofa, pulling a cream cushion into my lap as he shut the windows.

“Are you and Gunwoo ok?” He asked as he sat down a safe distance away from me. Sometimes it felt like Chaejin was a child and Gunwoo and I were the parents. He was 19, only 2 years younger than me but I always felt the need to protect and baby him.

“Of course we are” I gave a small smile that I was sure looked mega fake. He sure didn’t look like he believed me at all.

“You aren’t angry with him?”

“There isn’t anything to be angry about” Because really the more I thought about it, the more I thought it was stupid. Even if Gunwoo really wasn’t going to show up and wasn’t just trying to keep me from feeling guilty, I couldn’t get angry since I hadn’t shown up either. I’m sure he had a good reason for not making it.

“Even though he missed your anniversary to be with-“ He clamped his hands over his mouth when he realized what he said. Shaking his fringe to get it to fall and hide his eyes, a habit he did when he was nervous, he turned away. “Nothing, forget I spoke”.

I narrowed my eyes, “to be with who?”

He pulled the oversized red woolen sleeves of the sweater he was wearing over his hands and pulled up his legs, making himself as small as he could as he leaned into the sofa corner.

“Jaehwa, I really didn’t mean anything, let him talk to you about it” He looked like he was about to cry and I felt bad…though of course I was still super mad but it wasn’t directed at Chaejin.

“Chaejin, come here” I spread my arms out and he instantly vaulted into them. He really was so childlike. I his soft brown locks as he wrapped his arms around me.

 

“Gunwoo doesn’t deserve you” Chaejin’s soft and slightly nasally voice broke the silence. His statement took me by surprise though. He was always our number one supporter; we were his OTP, he was shipping Jaewoo real bad.

“Chaejin, I-“

“He’s a head” I almost let out a giggle, Chaejin never swore and it sounded funny hearing a curse word come from his mouth but this wasn’t a laughing matter. “You deserve someone who will treat you right” Yoongi had said the exact same words the other day but only now were they starting to sink in. I think about all the times I had been in this situation, stood up by Gunwoo, ignored by Gunwoo, pushed aside for someone better.

“You might be right Chaejin but I can’t stop myself from loving him”

“Maybe I can help with that” He lifted his head, staring at me intently. The way his eyes were gazing at my lips was making me nervous. He lifted his head further, making a beeline for my lips. Pretending I didn’t see what he was doing, I untangled myself from him and stood up.

“It doesn’t look like Gunwoo is coming back anytime soon so I’m going to go home” A deep blush was covering his cheeks and he shook his fringe again.

“A-are you s-sure? It’s going to r-rain”

“I’m sure, bye” I waved awkwardly to him and quickly left the house.

 

My mind had been preoccupied with thoughts of Chaejin the whole walk home. How did I not realize he liked me? How long had he liked me? How was I ever supposed to see him again after that whole embarrassing situation? I sure didn’t like him in that way at all but I really felt bad for him. Ah, my poor little Chaejin.

“Jaehwa?” I was so preoccupied with my thoughts that I hadn’t even seen Gunwoo standing at my door.

“Gunwoo?” One look at his face and my anger disappeared; he looked really sad, on the verge of tears, and I never could handle it when he cried.

“I’m sorry, I’m really sorry” And then he was in my arms and his tears were soaking my shoulder. I unlocked my door and guided Gunwoo inside without letting him go. Once we were inside he pushed me towards my bedroom, both of us falling roughly on the red satin sheets. He pushed his mouth onto mine, moving his lips and tongue with desperation. I let all of my thoughts go and just enjoyed it. This was my Gunwoo after all and I still loved him.

“Please don’t leave me, don’t ever leave me, if you ever left me I couldn’t live” He sobbed before bringing his lips back down to meet mine.