Our Separate Reasons

Where I Left You

Eunji hears the sound of beeping coming from the keypad of her apartment. 

The only people she's allowed to have access to her home are her parents and closest friends. She takes a quick glance at the digital clock on the nightstand and notices it's already noon. 

Naeun's here. 

She quickly lifts her body to seat herself at the edge of the bed, then brings the sleeve of her sweater up to her eyes to brush away tears that had previously collected. 

Eunji starts to feel embarassed at, what she believes to be, a sad sight of letters strewn about the room, all unorganized and out of the order that Kibum had carefully put them. 

Naeun takes note of the sight immediately while rounding the corner to Eunji's room. She taps the wall lightly to warn Eunji that she's there. 

Eunji looks up with sad eyes.

Naeun rushes to the bed and wraps her arms around her for comfort.

"I don't know why...I don't know why he didn't say any of these things to me," Eunji quietly sobs into the fabric of Naeun's blouse. 

Naeun rubs her hand along Eunji's back, hoping that her embrace can temporarily quiet the pain. 

"He didn't know how, honey. But all that matters now is that you know his heart." Naeun takes Eunji's shoulders so that she can look squarely into her friend's big and usually bright brown eyes. "It's not too late to make up for lost time," Naeun whispers, adding a reassuring smile to her words. 

Eunji nods, having come to the conclusion after reading the last letter, "Where You Left Me," that she didn't want to pretend any longer. She had allowed for her defenses to come down to let the memories flood in, and once they had, she resolved that she wanted to try love again.

"You said that he's back in a few days," Eunji sniffles. "My debut is at that time. I want Taemin to give him one of my comp tickets, but I don't want him to know I'm performing." 

Naeun's eyes light up. 

"You want to invite him to your show? That's perfect! You'll knock his socks off once he sees you on that stage for the first time."

Another thought that warms Eunji. She had run through the scene in her head at least a hundred times since she came up with the plan to invite him. 

He'll attend the show, totally unaware that I'll be performing. Once he hears me belt out that opening note and lights settle on me, I'll find his eyes in the crowd. I don't know where they'll be, but I'll feel them, because he will be searching for mine. We'll lock eyes then and we'll both know it. We won't have to say a single word. He'll know and I'll know.

"I'm serious. You and Taemin have to be totally tight lipped. I want him to be so shocked. I don't think he has any idea that I've continued on with singing and musical theater."

Naeun shakes her head. "He doesn't. Taemin and I wouldn't mention you around him because we didn't think he'd want to know. We just avoided giving you two updates about each other, which is truly a balanacing act, might I add."

"My poor friend," Eunji chuckles, which now seems like a far step from the crying she had been doing. 

She takes a moment from her newfound excitement to observe the room. Instead of falling into sadness once more, she stands from the bed to collect the letters, one by one, until they are all in her hand and back into their original order. 

She holds them in her palm for what she believes to be the last time.

"I was really upset when you gave me these. But I didn't know why. I do now, though. I was afraid of feeling this way again. Afraid of falling for him all over. But as I read, I realized I couldn't fall for him again when I had never stopped loving him in the first place. That was a terrifying thing to discover."

Naeun is silent and still as she listens to Eunji. 

"But I'm grateful that you shared these. I didn't know how much I needed them." Reluctantly, Eunji parts with the stack of writings and goes to retrieve a few tickets to her show: one for Naeun, one for Taemin and the third for Key. 

"I'm really so happy for you. You guys were made for each other," Naeun says as she places the envelopes and tickets into her satchel. "Now let's get you freshened up and go for lunch. I'm starving!"


"Look who's back?" Taemin grins a mile wide and opens his arms expecting Key to embrace him. 

Key playfully rolls his eyes and strolls past his friend to put the bags he's carrying down into the main foyer of his home. 

"I haven't seen you in two weeks and you won't return my hug?" 

Key sets the bags down finally, inhales a sharp breath and startles Taemin with a tight hug. "Why do you act like you miss me more than my own mother, sometimes?" Key asks jokingly, pulling away from Taemin to return to the cab one final time. 

Taemin shouts from the door, "So how was New York?"

Key pays the fee on his taxi then hurries into his home to prevent Taemin from starting a conversation the whole neighborhood can hear. 

"It was great, thank you," Key says a bit harshly, warning Taemin that he's not a fan of the shouting. 

Taemin senses his friend's irritation and opts for a quieter tone. "I see the city didn't make you less uptight," he laughs, but only to himself since Key didn't join in. 

"For your information, it was a truly pleasant trip. I haven't felt that good in a long time."

"Oh really?" Taemin grabs at one of Key's suitcases and heads toward Key's bedroom. Key follows closely behind with the other case.

"Yep! Finally felt some sort of inner peace I guess. And I closed a six-month deal on one of their high traffic galleries. We've got a few exhibits lined up for that period, but you and the guys, we finally have a chance to do that tribute exhibit for Jjong." 

Taemin lights up at the thought of he and his friends finally being able to accomplish such a goal. All of this excitement, coupled with the ticket he holds in his pocket, he's eager to add more good news to the mix, but he knows he needs to stay disciplined. 

"That does sound like a great trip! And what a victory, I'm proud of you man." Taemin pats Key on the back before continuing. "I think we should celebrate."

Key nods his head in agreement. "I could use a celebration."

"How about tomorrow night? Naeun and I have tickets to this show and I've got a free ticket-" Taemin's words trail as he sees Key shaking his head.

"No, no, no. You will not have a celebration for me where I'm playing tag-a-long with you and Naeun. Let's shoot for the weekend and bring all the guys out."

"Point taken. Well, if it's not your celebration, can you still come to the show? It's an opening musical I thought you'd be into." Taemin holds the ticket for Key to take. 

Key eyes the ticket and receives it from Taemin's hands. The show title doesn't ring a bell. 

"I do love a good musical," Key admits, though it's not news to Taemin. 

"It's settled then! So I'll swing by and pick you up around 6 tomorrow?"

"Nah, I'll meet you guys there. I'll have some stuff to take care of before then."

Taemin nods and returns to helping Key unpack. 

Both of the men carry on, playfully bantering, listening to music while putting away clothes.

Both incredibly excited about the coming days, for separate reasons.