나만 빼고 (Except for me)

니가 아니라서 (Missing You)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Life is hard. Sometimes we have to make choices we actually don't want to, and gets even harder if it goes wrong. Sometimes we have to drop something we treasure, sometimes we have to drop our love for someone because it's not going to work. 

Lee Byunghun was 25 y/o and his whole life was made of wrong choices. It's not like he has been living a ty life, but in terms of love, it was indeed a ty life. Falling in love for his hetero best friend, hanging out with girls even though he was gay, jumping from one girl to another so he could try to forget about his hyung, even if that wasn't possible.

Lee Chanhee, 25 y/o. Byung's best friend. They lived together since who knows when, as their mothers were neighbours for their whole lives. 

Byung started noticing he was gay since he started looking at his best-friend in a different way, especially when they showered together. Around 9 y/o, Byung decided it was time to start showering separately, earning multiple questions and confused looks from a innocent little Chanhee. When he was 16, he started avoiding everyone, even his own parents, and they'd always say "he's at that time of his age", giving it as an excuse, while secretly cursing him inside their minds, because even when someone was visiting them, he'd just say hello, bow and go back to his little cavern. They didn't know what was happening. Of course Byung knew it would probably be true, but also because his best friend was at that age as well, and he started going out with girls and coming back all happy and proud to tell him. That's when he learned how to avoid those topics and, posteriorly, how to avoid Chanhee completely.

"Aishh, Byung-ah… Why won't you have time to be with me..?" Chanhee would ask all the time.

"Sorry, I have to study…" "Sorry, mom wants help at the store…" "I guess I can't today, I have dance practice…" Would be Byung's answers every time.

Chanhee didn't fight back too much either, not only because he started dating, but also because he didn't want his best friend to get mad at him for bothering him every time.

10 years had passed and it was still the same. They lived in the same building, only two floors apart. Byung had dated a ton of girls, no more than 2 weeks each time. He didn't call it dating, it was more like "having fun", as he described every time his best friend asked him. He was still trying to forget about it. He didn't want Chanhee to have his life ruined by 3 simple words: "I love you". Byung would rather get hurt than hurting his best friend.

And also because, although Chanhee hasn't settled down completely with one girl (he wasn't even near Byung's record tho), he was afraid his hyung would either react badly or stop being his best friend, or their relationship would become awkward. They still had fun together, sometimes. As long as I'm with him, as long as he's happy, I'm happy, he thought. But of course Byung would doubt sometimes. And every time he thought it was going wrong, he'd either go to a pub and get a girl, or just stay at home, awake until late hours, smoking madly. That's been his life (along with his ty job) for the past 8 years, since he finished high school.

Day 1, 10/12/2015:

Life gets harder every day. It's only been 24 hours since the worst day in my life.

What did I do to deserve this? Wasn't I good? Why...

I wish we could've spent more time together...

This is all my fault. I'm sorry...

23/11/2015:

"Byung-ah! Wake up" Chanhee was knocking as hard as he could at Byung's door. The younger wakes up, startled by the unceasing noise coming from the door.

"What... What's this noise..?" He turns his head sideways to find a girl, the one he picked up last night. Byung takes a deep breath, thinking "why is she still here" and trying to be as nice as he could.

"Dress up. I have to go to work"

"Will you message me..?" The girls speaks again, this time with an annoying smile on her face. Byung had a massive headache, but he still tried his best to hide it.

"Sure." He lied, using his best fake smile.

They both got up and slowly dressed up. The girl took a pen and a piece of paper and turned around to write down her number. When finished, she turned around once more and slowly walked towards the male standing in the middle of the room. Byung put on his underwear and threw his short robe around him, smiling cheaply at the girl as he picked up the small piece of written paper. He guided the girl towards the noisy knocking and opened it.

"Oh it's you." Byung said, waving goodbye to the girl and crumbling the paper in his hand, throwing it outside afterwards with a slight "tsk" coming out his mouth.

"Come in." He turned around and entered the kitchen, followed by Chanhee.

"Oh it's me? I've been knocking at your door for hours!" Chanhee shouted angrily, looking around his best friend's apartment.

"What do you want?" The younger took some bread from the cupboard above him and slid it inside the toaster, turning his attention back to his impatient friend.

Chanhee took a deep breath and spoke again. "Do you know what day is today?" He smiled.

"Ummm... Thursday? No wait... Is it Friday already?" Byung rubbed the back of his neck.

"Y-Yes but... The day of the month?" The older tried again.

"Ummm… Nov... 23rd" 

"Yes!" Chanhee jumped towards the younger, holding onto his shoulders. "And you know what that means, right~?"

Byung took some minutes to think before sighing hard, gently slapping Chanhee's hands off his shoulders. "My birthday..."

"Yes! And I have something planned for you, since neither you nor I have to work tomorrow!" Chanhee was jumping around excited, as if it was his own birthday.

The younger ignored him and went to the fridge, taking an almost empty box of milk and shoving what was left of it inside his mouth.

"

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter