The promise.

The promise

Jungkook sat on a chair and waited for his assistant. It's a great day today, one day he looked forward to for over seven years. He thought he would spend his whole life here at the orphanage. Now he's seventeen, seven years have passed since he moved here. Jungkook never liked the children's home, the other kids didn’t understand him. The only thing that prevented him from getting out of here is the promise.

 

''Jungkook! Are you ready to go?’’ his assistant,  Ji-eun, asked.

 

Jungkook could hear her footsteps coming closer and she grabbed his arm, helping him up from the chair. He knew immediately that Ji-eun was almost as nervous as he was. He smiled quickly. Ji-eun led him out of the room and into the hall where they stayed. She clothed him his winter jacket and pressed a hat over his head. He could hear her laugh, but did not understand, of course, what was fun. He was ready to go out.

 

'' Wait, your shoes too! I almost forgot!'' she suddenly shouted.

''Oh. Right,'' Jungkook simply answered.

 

She put on a pair of good boots, it was cold outside and Ju-eun said it was at least 10 cm of snow on the ground. She grabbed his hand and they walked out the door. The cold hit him right in the face. He was taken through the garden and out in the parking lot where they stopped. He heard the noise of the taxi. He grabbed Ji-eun’s hand harder. Tried not to show his nervousness, but Ji-eun always saw right through him. She caressed his cheeks. Shook the snow off his jacket and opened the door to the car. Jungkook would from today live with his brother. He could finally leave the orphanage, so why did it hurt when he was separated from Ji-eun?

 

She helped Jungkook into the car and gave him a blind stick, he never liked it but it had to do now. Ji-eun said something to the driver. Laughed. She slammed the door and he heard her footsteps fade out. The car started running and he sat straight up through the entire trip. All the emotions Jungkook had bubbled inside of him.


 

After what seemed like forever, the car finally stopped. The driver stepped out and helped him get out of the car, he said something to him and then went away. Jungkook was completely lost. He really didn’t know where he was. The worries struck again. What if the address was wrong and he did not get to meet his brother? What if his brother didn’t keep the promise, what if he abandons him and disappear again?!

 

''Jungkook?''

The voice belonged to exactly the one Jungkook wanted. He became so excited with happiness that he accidently hit the person with his blind stick. It was his older brother Namjoon. He has been in prison for seven years and Jungkook was never allowed to see or talk with him until now, but thanks to the promise Jungkook held out.

 

''It is you, Jungkook. I barely recognized you. It’s been seven years since I saw you. I missed you, little brother.'' Namjoon said.

''Brother,'' Jungkook whispered.

 

Jungkook heard his brother coming closer. Namjoon caressed his cheek and hugged him. He hugged him back. Namjoon’s hand and body shape felt so different than from seven years ago, he was so grown up now. All Jungkook could feel was hard muscles and bones. He must have had a tough time in prison. Namjoon seemed to think the same thing about his little brother, he pointed out several times that Jungkook was so tall and handsome. Suddenly, Namjoon grabbed hold of Jungkook’s shoulders and moved him away a bit. He could feel that Namjoon had feelings of guilt, his voice was shaking like he was about to cry.

 

''Jungkook. I’m sorry. I’m sorry I have not been here for you all these years. I’ve been a terrible older brother and I understand if you hate me.'' Namjoon said between all the tears.

''I don’t hate you, brother. I will never hate you.'' Jungkook said.

''How come?'' Namjoon asked quietly.

''Because I knew you were waiting for me, just like I waited for you.'' He said & smiled.

 

Namjoon’s fingers on Jungkook’s shoulders tightened and he pulled him back to another hug, but this time it felt more sorrowful. Namjoon was shaking with tears and Jungkook’s jacket became wet. He was not crying. It wasn’t like he was unhappy to see his brother, because he was really happy. Jungkook has always had the feeling that Namjoon was there for him somehow. Namjoon’s promise had always been a support for Jungkook.


 

Namjoon held Jungkook’s hand all the way home and helped him with everything, he thought Namjoon’s help was better than both the blind stick and Ji-eun. When they got inside the door Namjoon helped Jungkook with his outer clothing. The apartment smelled in a way Jungkook had not felt in a long time. Homely. Not like at the orphanage where it just smelled wet shoes and feces. He found his way to the kitchen, Namjoon went after and put a hand on Jungkook’s shoulder. Jungkook has not been this happy in years.

 

''Brother, I’m hungry!'' Jungkook shouted.

''I could guess that, do you want home cooked or takeaway?''

''Home cooked!''

 

Jungkook missed his brother’s delicious food. Namjoon smiled at his answer. Jungkook felt like a ten-year-old again, happy for everything his brother gave him and said to him. It made Jungkook think about the incident seven years ago. What changed everything and separated his brother from Jungkook.


 

Seven years ago.

 

Jungkook sat down in a corner with his knees drawn up to his chin, shaking with fear. Their father had found them again. Even though they moved across the country the man was now outside and banged on the door. Namjoon was not home right now. He was all alone, and he has never been more terrified. Jungkook searched on the floor for something that he could protect himself with. After everything his father has done to them, he was not afraid to fight back. After all, it was that man who took away his vision.

 

His heart was beating hard in his chest when he heard the front door open up, Jungkook bit his lip so hard he could feel the taste of blood. Rapid footsteps ran up the stairs. The steps approached the room Jungkook was in. He prayed silently.

 

''Jungkook, it’s me! It’s okay now, everything’s fine.'' a voice said.

 

It was Namjoon. Jungkook exhaled and immediately calmed down. Namjoon opened the door and went in to him. Jungkook could hear him sit down in front of him, caressing his cheeks which was all wet with tears. He didn’t say anything. Jungkook understood what he had done. It was the only solution in this situation.

 

He took Jungkook’s hand and they stood up, walked down the stairs and out through the front door. Namjoon froze when they walked past what Jungkook assumed was their father's lifeless body. He didn’t know where they were going. All he could do was keep walking behind Namjoon. They walked and walked for what seemed like decades. When they suddenly stopped, Jungkook finally got to sit down and rest a while. Namjoon seemed to be very tired, though Jungkook understood that he was more worried about their situation than resting.

 

''Jungkook. I’m sorry that you have to go through all this.'' Namjoon said while patting Jungkook’s head.

''It’s not your fault, brother. It’s father’s fault.'' Jungkook whispered.

''Don’t call him father!!'' Namjoon hissed.

 

Jungkook apologized and bit his lip nervously. Namjoon patted him gently on the head. Then he could suddenly hear sirens and dozens of people heading towards them. He understood that it was the police, they must already seen the crime scene. Namjoon didn’t give off a worried aura anymore. In fact, it felt like Namjoon had given up. Jungkook stood up. He tried to pull his brother up on the feet and run away. But Namjoon grabbed jungkook’s arm and forced him to sit down again.

 

''Brother, please!!'' Jungkook shouted in despair.

''It’s okay, little brother.'' Namjoon simply said.

''What’s okay!? If they caught you I won’t get to see you anymore!!''

''It was self defense, I won’t get that many years.''

 

Jungkook was so desperate when he heard the police approaching that he was having a panic attack. Namjoon hugged him and whispered in his ear;

''Jungkook. We will meet again. And when we do, I will show you the world. It’s a promise.''

''How?'' He asked, taken aback.

''I will give you a pair of eyes.''

 

That was the last Jungkook heard of Namjoon before he was was pulled away from him. A pair of rough hands pulled Jungkook up on his feet and forced him to go. He wanted to scream after Namjoon and run to him, but it was in vain. The man pushed him into a car and drove to somewhere Jungkook didn’t know about. Three months later, he lived in an orphanage and had no idea where his brother was.


 

'' Jungkook? Are you alright? The dinner’s ready!'' Namjoon said suddenly.

 

He woke up Jungkook from his daydreams. Jungkook finally understood that he starting from today never had to part with his brother again, he was overjoyed. Jungkook threw himself on Namjoon who seemed to understand how he felt, as always. He patted him on the shoulders. Jungkook loved Namjoon’s scent. The scent he never wanted to miss again.

 

''Brother, do you remember your promise?'' Jungkook asked.

''Of course. I keep my promises.'' He answered and smiled.


The end!!:)