Chapter 1

I Got Love

Where is he?  Jackson thought to himself.  Mark had texted him earlier in the day asking to meet up.  He said he had something important to tell Jackson, but that he needed to tell him in person.  Jackson told him that he would meet him at their favorite spot on the beach at 5.  He looked around before checking his phone again.  The time read 5:17 PM and there were no new text messages.  There weren’t that many people around.  It was December, but the sun was still up in Los Angeles.  He sighed and checked his phone again.  Still no text.  A few more minutes passed by and still no sight of Mark.  It was almost 5:30 so Jackson decided to text him.  As he unlocked his phone and started to text Mark, he saw a shadow move towards him.  The sun was in his eyes so he had to put his hand over them to see who was walking in his direction, but Jackson didn’t need to see to know it was Mark.  He put his phone away and smiled up at him.  Mark smiled back and sat down next to Jackson.  

“Sorry I’m late.  The traffic was terrible and the bus was delayed.” He said. Jackson leaned his head on his shoulder and assured him that it was fine.  They stayed like that and watched the sun dip into the Pacific.

“Jackson...” He whispered.

“Um?” He replied.

“I got in.” He sounded both happy and sad at the same time.  His voice was quiet, like it always was.  Jackson lifted his head and looked at him.  He was still looking at the sunset.  Mark had auditioned for the Korean Entertainment Company JYP a few months ago.  They said that they would get back to him soon but he hadn’t heard anything from the staff.  

“Really?  That’s great Mark!” Jackson said.  He knew that it meant he would have to move to Korea, but this is what he really wanted.  He had been practicing and practicing for almost two years for this audition.  This was his dream come true.

“Yeah.  I want to go, but I can’t just leave you.” Mark sounded so torn.  Jackson didn’t want him to give up his dream but he also didn’t want him to give up on him.

“It’ll be fine.  We can Facetime between school and practice.  This is your dream Mark.  I’m not going to be what holds you back.  This isn’t an opportunity you can pass up.  Go.  I’ll be here cheering you on.” Jackson kissed him lightly and rested his head on his shoulder again.  

“I don’t want to do it without you though.  You’ve been supporting me for so long.  I wouldn’t have auditioned if it wasn’t for you.  I just wish I could take you with me.”  

“It’s okay.  We’ll figure it out.”

“It’s getting late and the sun is almost gone.  I’ll take you home.” Mark stood up and reached out to help him up.  Jackson grabbed his hands and pulled himself onto his feet.  He lost his balance and almost fell, but Mark caught him.  They walked to the bus in silence, waited for the bus in silence, rode the bus in silence, and walked to Jackson’s apartment in silence.  It wasn’t an awkward silence though.  The quiet spoke for them.  When they walked into Jackson’s apartment, all the lights were out and the curtains were blocking the moon light.  Jackson had moved to Los Angeles from Hong Kong.  He was part of a transfer student program.  

“Have you eaten yet?” Mark asked.  Jackson shook his head no.  

“Okay, let’s have dinner then.”  Mark was a decent enough cook.  The only problem was that there was nothing in the fridge.  The only thing they had was ramen.  It would have to do.  

They finished eating and were lying on the couch watching “Captain America: The First Avenger.”  Mark’s phone buzzed with a text message alert.  

“My mom want’s to know when I’ll be home.” He spoke softly.  In a hushed voice, Jackson replied, “Will you stay with me?  For tonight?”

“Of course.”