Chapter One

The Beautiful Sin
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Two hours of waiting had passed and I was already dreading my decision of agreeing to come to Seoul. Just what will happen in Seoul? 

 My parents pushed me to come in place of the two of them. Apparently, they’ll be on a month-long seminar in Berlin. Mom forced me to come and my dad threatened me. He said he’ll take me back on the house and force me to take another course. I had no choice but to agree. 

Take away my money, take away my pride, just not my freedom. 

All the while, a man approached me. He bowed to me like a curtsy. He lifted his face and I managed to have a clear view of his features. Not exactly my definition of handsome but not gonna lie, he definitely was not your average Korean man.

"Aunt Nabi told me to pick you up along my way," he declared monotonously, like a bouncer on the club entrance, averting his eyes. Why was he looking away? He clearly was avoiding eye contact from me. Was he cross-eyed to not look me in the eye while speaking? 

I found myself distracted from my incoherent thoughts by his focal points. Ooh, messy bed hair, yeah, I like that. Doe-like eyes, tall nose, what more could this man offer? He reminded me of a deer or a fawn I'd often saw in the States. Although his Asian features set him off apart my western definition of handsome. 

“Yeah, thanks for coming. I’m glad you came. Could have waited the whole day if you…,” I stopped blabbering stupid words and just restrained myself from making myself foolish. 

"Shall we go then?" he asked, almost stating it as a statement. Again, averting his eyes. 
I took the liberty to study him again. Fashion sense? On point. Hooded jacket and a shirt layered together. And oh, bless those black plants hugging his legs. He sent me to a world god only knows. 

He led the way to his car and I went on an adventure to cloud nine. He suddenly opened the door for me. What a surprise. Never had a man opened the car door for me, just my dad when I was five. It certainly surprised me to be treated like a lady. 

We rode on his dark blue car. The windows were rolled up and the air-conditioner was on for it was raining outside. 

He suddenly pulled up to a convenience store, not saying anything. I waited inside the car for him and he came back with a cup of coffee. He handed the coffee to me and wrapped his jacket over myself. Heat suddenly crept to my cheeks with his gentle gesture. 

“You seem cold,” he stated, like the most obvious thing in the world. I was suddenly reminded of what I was wearing that day. Dark green dress that stopped above my thighs and brown ankle boots. Yes, I am cold. 

I was never treated so delicately before. Only by my boyfriends and not by a random stranger. Was this how South Korean men are? The more I think about it, the hotter my cheeks get. I never imagined I could go on rage for just one single gesture. 

Ah, I guess I should kill this childish crush on him before it blossoms to a full-grown flower. It’s only for four days and three nights after all. I didn’t want to bring this crush on him back to States. I just want everything that happened in Seoul stay in Seoul. 


We arrived on the Shin Residence. And as much as I hated it, I needed to greet them and engage on conversations with relatives I never even knew I have. “Be polite,” mom’s words echoed in my ears. Now, I didn’t want my parents judged of their parenting if I show some bad behavior, did I? 

Coming here was a mistake, I knew that. Visiting here for four days and three nights was a torture. Staying with my relatives was a suicide. It’s only for a short time and after Aunt Nabi’s wedding, I’m free to fly back to California. 

I almost cringed when one of my aunties hugged me and kissed me in the cheeks. There were reasons why I didn't like family gatherings and relatives at all. My mother had already forced me to come on this godforsaken place and pushed me to act as the perfect child. How great

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter