The Envelope

Once Upon A Princess

"Yah! Pheasant! Move your lazy and get working!" demanded Kim Sangjin, the nicer  one out of my two stepsisters. Sadly, I'm the youngest one out of the three of us which only gives them the more of a reason to boss me around. Nice right?

When I didn't respond quick enough, she slapped me on my thigh. Not to mention hard. 'Well that's gonna bruise,'  I thought as I winced.

I rushed to get up and of course, got my legs trapped in the blankets which resulted in me doing a beautiful  face plant on the floor. "Coming Madam!," I shouted rubbing my aching nose. Blinking the sleepiness away, I stretched and yawned. Another horrible exhausting day for me.

Yipee! *Note the sarcasm*

I rushed to get my work clothes on, not wanting what happened last time to happen again. Trust me. If the experience is already painful to think about, what about actually experiencing it? Pure torture. I slipped my worn out shoes on and walked out the old, creaky door. I carefully stepped down the narrow staircase, not wanting to slip over the small steps. What the engineers were thinking when the built this part of the house, I have no idea.

As I passed by a window, I noticed how the sun has barely even risen. I wished my room had a window. How sad it was that my step family forced me to move into the tiny room that is now my living quarters. When I first went up there, it looked like dust bunnies had made the room there base. The headquarters for all the dust bunnies in the land. Yup. That was exactly what it looked like.

I mean just imagine how well the first day was for me. You guessed it. I swear it took me like a whole day at least to clean that one small room though I never knew for sure as I don't have clock or window to track time with in there. Before that time, I had never, ever  felt such horrible aching in my whole life.

Now because of all the house work, I feel more than enough pains, thank you. It's often hard to sleep because of the aching muscles I have.

Even though I'm pretty darn sure that my stepsisters and stepmother have noticed this, the don't make the chores and jobs any easier. In my perspective, that's pretty darn heartless. They could have at least considered getting me other clothes to were that aren't as dirty and ragged as the clothes I have presently.

"What can I do for you today, madams?," I asked as I reached the dining room, reluctantly bowing my head.

"Well for starters, you could make breakfast!," Kim Hyohwa, my stepmother, hissed. Well it looks like someones grumpy about how she hasn't eaten yet. I don't like talking bad about people but she's a lady too. If she's as perfect as she deems herself to be, then she should be able to cook food for herself as well as her two daughters. If you haven't caught on yet, my stepmother doesn't think of me as a stepdaughter, much less, an actual daughter.

Seeing as that I wasn't moving yet, my other stepsister, Kim Dongsang (the meaner one), piped up saying(well more like screeching),"What are you doing just standing there? GET MOVING!"

 

Before anyone else started screeching away, I quickly walked out of there and into the kitchen. I think the kitchen would have to be my favorite place out of the whole house. Compared to my chambers, it wasn't as stuffy. Unlike many many other places in the house, I had quite a bit of privacy in here as my stepsisters and stepmother think that it's dirty and gross in here.

But it's not.

Obviously, since this is my favorite place out of the whole house, I keep it as clean as possible (which means squeaky clean). But it's not like they know that.

Since those three evil beings (one of the best ways to call them without being very mean) hate me so much, when Father died, they fired all the other servants because that means more work for me.

So nice of them right?

I sighed as I got to work.

Today I'm going to make crepes. I think I'm a pretty good cook thanks to the help of some of my friends who worked in the kitchen before Madam Kim fired them.

Now that I think about it, I don't have many friends, if none at all. Frowning, I collected the ingredients.

Sugar - Check

Flour - Check

Eggs - Check

Salt - Check

Milk - Check

Butter - Check

Strawberries - Check

Bananas - Check

Chocolate - Check

Whipped Cream - Check

 

Now let's get to it!

 

-♛-

 

 

After making what seemed like a million servings, I finally finished making breakfast. Why I made so much? My step family has a HUGE appetite. Surprisingly, they aren't as chubby that I thought they would be.

Lifting the first servings of crepes as well as glasses of freshly squeezed orange juice, I carefully walk to the dining room.

I was welcomed with a "What took you so long?!" from Dongsang.

"I apologize madams. There was a minor problem with the stove.,"I lied.

Keeping my head slightly downcast, I walked over and set their breakfast onto the table. This table was quite big and had more than enough room for the four of us to eat on it. But of course, they don't want me to eat with them as 'eating with the likes of me will put disgrace upon them'.

When they finally settled down, they started to wolf down the food. Soon enough, I was running back and forth from the dining room to the kitchen and from the kitchen to the dining room, going with a stack of empty plated and coming back with even more crepes and more orange juice. At times like these, I think that their stomachs are endless.

After endless rounds of running back and forth, I collected the last plates, cups, and silverware and put them in the overflowing sink. After I filled the sink with water, I grabbed a sponge and some soap and started scrubbing. The process of washing the tableware took up a lot of time on my part as I still had the rest of the house chores to as well as preparing the afternoon tea and snacks as well as dinner.  

When I finally finished, I grabbed a slice of bread and spread some jam on there and quickly ate it, washing it down with a glass of water as I didn't have the time to make anything fancy.

I ran to the shed outside and grabbed a bucket and a washcloth. I then stumbled over the well back behind the kitchen and filled the bucket with water. Running into the kitchen, I grabbed the bar of soap and hurried on to the main staircase, making my way up.

In less than a minute, I was already scrubbing away at the stairs and the railings since I have done this so many times before. And trust me, this staircase was wide and was a bit long.

Nearing the bottom of the stairs, I heard a knock at the large front doors that weren't to far from the  staircase. I opened one of the two doors to hear the the hooves of a horse slowly fading away.

I looked around to find an envelope on the ground below. Lifting it up, I saw that it was addressed to the females of our household.

What's this about?

I flipped it around to see a wax seal in the color of a fiery red. I almost dropped the letter when I saw what was stamped onto the wax.

It was an insignia.

And not just any insignia.

It was the insignia for the royal family.

THE  Royal Family.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

A/N:  I hoped you enjoyed this chapter! :)