Final

The Weight Of My WIngs

Light blinds him as he groggily opens his eyes.

The surroundings are unfamiliar and so bright that it hurts.

He squints his eyes against the glare.

Metal glints in the corner of his eye and he turns.

The bars are tall, towering above him. They glitter menacingly.

He stares, so still that not a single feather moves.

In one single moment, it hits him and he is at the bars, gripping them so tight that his knuckles go white.

He rattles them, panic racing through him.

“Let me out!!” He screams, the metal clanking horribly as he shakes them.

They don’t give and he has no idea how long he stands there, screaming his lungs out, shaking the black metal.

There is somewhere he has to be, something he has to do. But he has to get out.

“Let me go!!” He howls, voice hoarse, chest heaving at the exertion.

His vision blurs and he sways, the weight of his wings unbalancing him.

He collapses to his knees as white mist starts swirling at his feet.

Footsteps echo in the empty room.

His head is so heavy when he tries to lift it to look up.

A young woman steps into his eye line.

Long raven black hair falls like a waterfall down her back, a stark contrast against the pale shift that she is wearing.

The edges of his vision blur and he blinks to keep the woman in focus.

But the woman is gone and in her place stands a man, young and strong with sculpted muscles.

He blinks and the man is replaced by a teenaged girl with dark hair and brown eyes.

He kneels in his place, panic ebbing away, replaced by a weariness that reaches to his bones.

“Zhang Yixing.” He forces his head up at the sound of his name.

It is the girl he sees now but even as she approaches, her image shifts into a different girl with a different face, sometimes a male, other times a woman.

They are always different, the faces.

It is a young man who reaches for the lock of his cage but a middle aged woman who turns the key, a teen girl who pulls open the door.

“Get up.” He shakes his head wearily.

He is tired, so tired that he wants to black out and sleep.

“Have you forgotten? Get up Zhang Yixing.” The words are clear and sharp, like cold water on a sleepy morning. The voice shifts with them, a different time and pitch.

A hand reaches down and he stares.

It is a pale thin hand, a girl’s hand.

As he watches, it shifts into a grown man’s hand, tanned and strong.

“Remember your promise Zhang Yixing.”

The words strike him hard and the mist in his mind clears.

He takes the proffered hand and rises slowly.

“Who are you?”

The woman smiles and she shifts into a teen girl again.

“We are always behind you.”

She gestures to the door and the light behind it.

“Fly, Zhang Yixing.”

He breaks into a run, sprinting out of the cage, out of the room, white wings half raised behind him.

The light that greets him is bright, brighter than the room he had been in.

Instinctively, he raises his hands to shield his eyes.

The roar startles him as he slowly lowers his hands.

The stadium is full, packed with people and lights all chanting his name.

“Zhang Yixing! Zhang Yixing! Zhang Yixing!”

He spins around. The lights are everywhere, all over the stadium.

A smile slowly spreads over his face and the wings slide off his back, his burden lifted.

He strips off the white sweatshirt, revealing a black tank top and shimmies out of the white pants, bright red glimmering beneath.

The music blares loud, the bass pounding echoing in his bones.

His body reacts and as the first notes spill out, his first thought is:

This is where I belong.

A/N 
I cannot get over how beautifully put together that intro was. My feels!! I wrote a Chinese version but keep in mind that it is not a direct translation because that would sound weird. Please enjoy my little Drabble!!