Starless (when Yoongi is the sky and Jungkook is the star)

Starless (when Yoongi is the sky and Jungkook is the star)

There was a storm raging outside. The rain fell continuously, all the flashes were lighting up the night, then the roar of a thunder echoed everywhere.

Jungkook was standing in front of the door of Yoongi and Seokjin's room, but he seemed to be unable to make a decision: whether to go in or not. He chose not to do so.

Then a noise coming from the hallway caught his attention. Yoongi got up cautiously, trying not to wake either of them, not Seokjin nor Jimin.
He went out and, when he looked into the darkness illuminated by a light that had just ripped through the sky, he saw a well outlined figure in the middle. It was Jungkook, who was staring out of the window.

“Jungkook...?” he called him, but his voice was unsteady compared to his usual.

Jungkook turned and walked toward him. Step by step, Yoongi felt a strange, odd and unpleasant feeling growing little by little inside him, almost devouring him. But he couldn't know, maybe not even imagine, what would happen soon. He would leave in Jungkook's heart a wound that would never heal.

"Why are you still awake?" He asked, trying to control himself, trying to sound calm, trying to be the person he had always been.

“I can't sleep” Jungkook said and moved closer, then he looked into the room because the door was left open.

"Because of the storm?" Yoongi asked.

"I'm not afraid of storms, hyung, I haven't feared them for a long time" the boy replied with a very sad smile.

"That's Jimin" he pointed out, “he's still afraid of thunderstorms" he added a little later, while Yoongi made sure to close the door even if Jungkook had already seen Jimin that was breathing softly in the bed, Yoongi's, literally hidden under the different layers of covers, asleep and defenseless.

And then, it followed a moment only filled by the sound of rain.

"Do you remember, hyung?" Jungkook finally spoke spitting out all his anger, those words were imbued with bitterness and rancor and he was still smiling in that way. “Do you remember when you chased me away?" he was getting angrier, even more now.

He pushed him and hit him on the chest trying to hurt him on purpose, and Yoongi found himself with his back to the wall, doing literally nothing to defend himself from all of that rage.

“Why don't you answer me, hyung?” Jungkook asked through gritted teeth, the fists still bump into him again and again.

Yoongi was about to block him but Jungkook squirmed, tried to escape, to remain free as he was.

"Kookie" he called him, in an attempt to calm him down, making sure to be able to look straight in his eyes, although it was difficult because of the darkness that surrounded them.

Finally, Yoongi had his face in his hands and lifted it bringing toward his own: the older stared at the younger for so long; Jungkook was breathing frantically, and though he couldn't see it clearly Yoongi knew his big and black eyes shone in anger.

“Hey” he whispered still keeping the grip on him, but his voice was soft.
Jungkook couldn't remember another time Yoongi had ever spoken with such a sweet voice, not to him, ever to him, only to Jimin.

But he remembered the only thing he wanted to forget. The night he had asked Yoongi if he could sleep with him, the other had agreed and, once he was lying next to him, under the covers, in his own bed, Jungkook had moved his hands all over his body and had pressed his mouth onto his.
Yoongi had interrupted the kiss, had stopped those hands, had told him to leave without even looking him in the eyes, even if he wanted him to stay but he wasn't ready, nor brave enough, just to find out how it could have gone between them. It was a thing that never started, an unborn one.

Because Jungkook was different from Jimin. He wasn't afraid at all, not to love him, not to kiss him, not to make love to him. But Yoongi was, he always had been.

There was a part of him hidden somewhere - he couldn’t know how much big it was or where it was - that wanted Jungkook back again. Perhaps, it was the only thing he had always wanted, but never understood to want. If Jungkook could have been brave, Suga simply wasn’t that brave.

“Has there ever been a chance... for me?” when he asked that question, Jungkook used all the courage and strength he had left.

He was facing him, he was asking him to tell the truth, at least this time, and to be honest and sincere. To let the heart speak. Yoongi never had the courage to answer that question.
The intense younger's gaze was impossible to bear: he had tears in his eyes, and he wasn't ashamed of it, and his voice trembled as there was only despair.

Yoongi leaned towards him and tried to hug him. And this time, it was Jungkook to push him away, to leave, to refuse him.

But Yoongi's hand closed around his arm, almost tugging it, and forced him to turn around. Yoongi kissed him and their mouths clashed. He kept locked his face, fingers running along his cheeks, his body was pressed against his, pushing him to the wall, more and more, but Jungkook was no longer a kid, now he was taller and stronger than him.
Suddenly, Yoongi felt his fingers get wet and he realized that the other was crying.

Jungkook had waited a lifetime for this: to be his one and only choice, not to be second to anyone, to be chosen instead of Jimin, to be his, to be Yoongi's. He had waited so long for this, but never for a kiss dictated by guilt.

Yoongi slowly pulled away from him and created a distance between them.

It was late, too late to find out how much he could have loved Jungkook in return, if only he had wanted from the start. Things don't always go like you hoped they could have gone.

So in the middle of night, Yoongi returned to his room and Jungkook left the house.

Jungkook sat all alone outside. Until he saw the very first ray of sunshine, until the sky turned into blue, until the clouds seemed to be like cotton balls and until the birds were singing a sweet melody.
He laughed, a hoarse laugh, then in the silence, interrupted only by the chirping, he heard the sound of his own breath and of his own heart.

He heard his name being called, he recognized that voice in an instant. It was Yoongi's. He turned and saw him coming toward to join him, he had a sheet held between his fingers as if it was the most precious thing possessed.

Yoongi handed him the sheet: “Sing it”.

He added more gently: "Sing it for me, Jungkookie, please".

Jungkook took it and he was about to tear it and throw it away, but Yoongi's words stopped him.

"I wrote it for you" he clarified making sure to look into his eyes.

"I don't know the music" the younger replied in confusion.

Yoongi sat on the porch and Jungkook, after a moment of hesitation, did the same, but not next to him.

Jungkook read it, not just one time but many others, and then he began to sing in a low voice.

Jungkook was too busy to read the verses, to give them a sound, to give them a voice and to sing a song written for him to notice Yoongi's gaze focused on him, on how his hands were trembling holding that little piece of paper in which Yoongi had tried to put on what he felt.
Jungkook turned the song into a lullaby. When he stopped singing his heart was in turmoil and his mind was full of thoughts.

He lifted his face and found Yoongi ahead, both their shadows were projected on the asphalt and seemed to merge in gray. Yoongi lowered bending on his knees until he was at his height and they were able to look straight in the eye.
Yoongi leaned over pressing the forehead against his.

“What's the title?” Jungkook asked with glittering eyes.

“Starless” Yoongi replied.

“What is about?” the younger asked again.

“You” it was the only answer he could give, “and me” he added shortly, feeling his heart squeezing in a vise of fear of losing him forever

"I'm so sorry" he murmured, the thumb gently caressing Jungkook's lips.

Hesitating again, Jungkook drew back, just a little bit, and then come forward again and kiss him on the mouth.

Yoongi felt Jungkook's lips curve into a smile.