Candyman

Stories Under The Weather

 

Donghae´s pov

 

I felt the spring coming. Or at least I thought so but when I opened my eyes in the morning, it was dark outside. Grey clouds turned day into midnight sun, but I didn´t see any aurora and ensured myself that I, indeed, was in Seoul and not in polar regions. Still the coldness seemed to be about the same today.

 

I was sighing for so long that I didn´t even realise that I was already running late for work. I quickly put on white shirt and my grey suit, perfect for the sleepy day. As expected when I rushed out of my house, I found myself in snow. It had to start snowing just now, hadn´t it?

 

Once I arrived to work I shook off the snow from my coat and hair, I managed to come on time but had to skip the breakfast. I shuffled to my table, tiringly greeting other white collars in the office. I thought that today would be one of the worst days but it might not be true.

 

For some reason the usually dusty office had a sweet scent, or more precisely it was coming from my place. As if someone walked around with cotton candy. It was confusing but not as much as the package on my table. Right between my keyboard and work files was standing a paper cup of coffee and two sandwiches in a white bag from the café in front of this building.

 

“Did you buy me a breakfast?” I turned to the colleague sitting next to me.

“No, I came minutes before you and it was already there,” Sungmin shrugged.

 

I frowned and looked around. Nobody from the big office was looking at me and nobody seemed to know anything. Maybe somebody owed me a coffee or perhaps was going to ask me for a favour? After wondering about it for almost ten minutes, I gave up and ate the breakfast.

 

Three hours later I was flustered once again, sitting in a meeting room, our team was getting a scolding from the manager. He was yelling for about forty minutes and then we were dismissed because somebody else needed to use the meeting room. After the cold shower from the boss, I and Sungmin went out for lunch.

 

Only downstairs I realised I forgot my coat. I rushed back up to the meeting room but it was locked already and I knew that I would have to wait for my coat, until the meeting in the room finishes. I walked back to my table and in shock found the coat hanging on my chair. Who put it there? I shrugged and threw it over my shoulder and at that moment smelled it again. Is that caramel? The sweet smell lingered on the collar of my coat making me slightly confused. Nevertheless, I had my coat back and could go for lunch.

 

The lunch turned to be once again a disaster. I did have a coat on me but the snow turned into rain while I was in the meeting room. In conclusion, I came back to the office soaked. My hair was sticking to my forehead and my ears were frozen. I had no idea, what I would do for the rest of the day with wet hair.

 

“Another present?” Sungmin chuckled pointing to my table.

 

I arrived a little later and found a blue towel lying on my keyboard. It was from somebody, who saw me going out in the rain and expected me to get drenched. By now it became obvious, that I had an admirer. And my suspicion raised, when I grabbed the towel and smelled sweet cinnamon. Possibly, is it the lady from the bakery? I snorted at myself.

 

I didn´t know I would find the key to the mystery so early. When the grey clouds were about to turn black, I packed my stuff to go back home. With slouched shoulders I shuffled to the elevator and joined the man waiting there already. The elevator opened and we walked inside.

 

And then I smelled it again. Cotton candy, caramel and cinnamon, the smell of candies took over the lift. Reminded of the sweet scent that kept saving the day for me, I turned my head to the side. A slim man was standing there and looking at his shoes, probably also going home already. He had sugar white skin and marshmallow coloured cheeks. His hair was smooth like the taste of melted ice cream, his eyes chocolate brown. He was biting the lips, juicy as the freshest cherries, and looking over all nervous.

 

The metal door opened at that moment and the sweet man swiftly walked out. In a second he was engulfed in the blinding light of the setting sun. The persistent winter clouds were torn and letting the yellow rays beam through the glass doors of the hall.

 

“Hey!” I called suddenly, when the sweet scent began dispersing.

 

The man that so obliviously pulled out his badge to check out, turned around. I was already next to him as I also had to go through the tourniquet. I glanced down on the badge and then up into those chocolate eyes. The previously light shade of Eunhyuk´s, that was his name, face was now golden from the sun and red from blush. I smiled feeling the best two things in the world, spring and candies, and without hesitation spoke up.

 

“Would you mind having a dinner with me?”

 

 

 

 

 

 

Happy Ending

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Hello! I heard in the news that the spring is supposed to come already, thank god, so I realised that I should finish these series. Just in time I got a message from FightingHyuki: "I remember when they filmed kyochon cf here in the philippines, some elfs asked the driver of the bus they are riding the whole filming and ahjussi said that they smelled like a sweet candy. Just imagine that, my adorable Hyukkie smelled like candies." I couldn´t let this information go, could I? By the way, have you noticed the twist? There was no twist! And no scary monster either.

Thank you for reading, check my ongoing story too and look forward to more short stories from me. Thank you! -PandaHero