Final

Birthday Promise

'When will this class end?' I sighed quietly to myself staring at the clock.

As if someone had heard me, the bell finally rung.

"Alright class, I guess that's it for today. Remember you have a test next week, so study hard!"

Only a couple students heard that as most of the class ran out quickly as if there was a fire.

'Why did this class feel longer than usual? I need to sleep more... Ah, I have work today too.' I was slowly packing my things when someone popped up from nowhere and poked my cheek.

"If you keep frowning like that, it's going to become permanent." My angel and cousin, Jeonghan, smiled at me.

His smile is contagious, so I found myself smiling back.

"Haha sorry, I've just been so tired these days and I keep forgetting things." I chuckled a bit.

"Are you eating well? Do you need me to come over and cook a meal for you?" He asked worriedly.

"Nah, my food intake is alright. I've been having trouble sleeping is all."

"Are you sure you're not tired because of all that ramyun you've been eating?" He gave me a look.

"Nooo..." I looked away sheepishly.

"Mhm." He shook his head.

"Hey, I made lunch today. Look, it's healthy and full of veggies." I held up my lunch bag.

"Good." He patted my head. "Let's go?"

"Yup." I linked my arms with him, and we made our way to the cafeteria.

On our way there, the hallway seemed more lively than usual. There was a big group of people, made up of a lot of girls, blocking the entrance to the cafeteria, and they seemed to be surrounding someone.

"Oh that's right, it's Joshua's birthday today." Jeonghan mentioned.

My ears twitched a bit at the name, but I tried to act normal.

"Ah really?"

"Why so nonchalant? I thought you liked him-"

"Shh!" I covered his mouth and looked around to see if anyone heard.

"Whah." He mumbled behind my hand.

I removed it and gave him a look. "Don't say that out loud! I just started getting close to him... I don't want to scare him off that quickly."

"Why would you scare him off? I don't think you're capable to scare anyone, you're too cute!" He ruffled my hair.

I was about to scold him, but then a sound of a guitar interrupted me. I looked around, and saw a small head of pink hair make his way into the center of the circle. It was Jihoon, and some of Joshua's other friends were behind him holding balloons. Seungcheol noticed Jeonghan and I, and gestured us to come over. We made our way over and we were closer to the center now.

"Hey Cheol." Jeonghan greeted.

When I saw Joshua, I felt my heart skip a beat. 'Ah, he's so perfect. How can someone be so good-looking and kind?'

Lost in all my thoughts, I didn't notice Jeonghan and Seungcheol whispering to each other.

Most of the girls went away, after wishing Joshua a happy birthday, leaving his group of friends and me. Joshua noticed me standing behind Wonwoo and Mingyu and smiled as he made his way over.

"Hi M-"

"Hyung! Happy birthday!" Hansol intercepted.

"Oh, thanks Hansol!" Joshua smiled a bit awkwardly. 

"Any plans for today? Let's go to the arcade after school! Then we can all have dinner and-" Hansol got cut off from Soonyoung swinging an arm around his shoulder.

"Let's decide that after school! We're meeting up later anyway! Come on, let's go get food!" With that, Soonyoung dragged Hansol away to buy lunch, most of the other guys following him. 'Wha- Did Junhui just wink at me? That weirdo.'

Joshua stood there blankly for a moment, and Seungcheol took that chance to push me towards him, causing me to almost bump into Joshua. I glanced back quickly to glare at him and Jeonghan's smug faces, before turning back to look at Joshua's shocked but pleasant face.

"H-Hey 'Shua!" I smiled, trying to not let my nervousness show.

My heart stopped for a second when he leaned in to hug me, and smiled brightly, "Hi Minyoung!"

'Normal, be normal!' I scolded myself. I returned the hug, "Happy birthday!"

He looked really happy to see me, and I don't know where this sudden burst of confidence came from, but I found myself leaning in and giving him a quick peck on the cheek. I pulled back quickly to see his adorably shocked face before another smile stretched across his face.

"What was that for?" 

"Uhm, I don't know myself... I'm just gonna go..." I pointed into the direction of the cafeteria, before he reached out and grabbed my hand, causing me to stop in place. 

"You don't have a present for me?" He teased as he pointed towards the bags I was holding. 

"Ah... No, these are just my lunch and my work uniform." I looked down sheepishly. "But! I promise I'll get you something great later!" I tried to be cute, so he could laugh his cute laugh.

It worked. "Haha, alright, I'm looking forward to it then!" Joshua fixed my hair, that I didn't notice was a mess due to Jeonghan's previous ruffle, and said, "It's a promise, okay?"