Part 2

Runaway (2015)

The moment Dongwan thought it couldn’t get any worse, it did. It had been a week and slowly Dongwan worked on not thinking of Minwoo as much more than just a friend. For the most part it seemed to be working. Sure, Minwoo was tempting him to run away but he fought it the best he could. Thankfully they had a concert to do so all his energy went into that.

 

Night had fell and they were in a hotel celebrating their latest run of concerts that span two days. Everyone was tired but not tired enough to drink and have some fun. They gathered in Eric’s room, sitting around a coffee table taking shots. It didn’t take anyone much to feel drunk.

 

They somehow ended up playing ‘Never Have I Ever’ where someone says the phrase followed by some sort of act. If you had done what was suggested then you take a shot. They did a round before Eric went again, “Never have I ever...been in love with a man.”

 

Dongwan was conflicted with this. He was, in fact, still in love with Minwoo. Was it really love? Or just him lusting after someone who was attractive? It was something that he was going through for the past week. Was it really true? Did he love him? Either way he took a drink and everyone stared at him, curiously. Dongwan cracked a smile, “I do love you all…”

 

The others started to burst in laughter, knowing it was true, and took their shots. The game continued on, and it was obvious that they were all getting really drunk since the suggestions were getting ridiculous. It didn’t take long before most of the group passed out. Eric had fallen asleep sitting upright with his shot glass still in hand. Hyesung was curled up on the floor next to the younger members. Only one really awake was Dongwan, his tolerance for alcohol had gone up due to the nights of drinking alone to forget his feelings. He sat there watching Minwoo sleep peacefully next him.  

 

He reached out slowly to the man wanting to touch him. He pulled back quickly when he realized what he was doing. He sighed and finished off his drink. What was he doing? One touch and he would have ruined a week's worth of work of not loving him. Yet seeing him dance and sing passionately during the concert was bring up those feelings once again.

 

Minwoo groaned and rolled onto his side, “Oh no…” He said with pain in his voice.

 

Dongwan heard this and looked at him, “Are you alright, Minwoo?”

 

Minwoo opened his eyes, “Wannie…” He tried to sit up, “My stomach hurts…”

 

Dongwan got up, helping his friend to his feet. They stumbled their way to the bathroom where Minwoo fell to his knees in front of the toilet. Dongwan sat down on the edge of the bath tub in the room. Minwoo had his head in the toilet waiting to vomit but not much was going on, “Come on...puke already!”

 

Dongwan laughed at this and kept watching his friend for a moment before closing his eyes. Few minutes past before Minwoo sat himself next to the toilet. He sighed and ran his fingers through his hair, “Stomach feels better...guess I didn’t need to puke…” He looked over at Dongwan, “Wannie…”

 

Dongwan opened his eyes to look at him, “Yea?”

 

Minwoo reached out towards him. Dongwan took the gesture as he wanted to get off the floor. So he stood up from the tub and took his friend hand. As he started to pull his friend up, Minwoo had pulled him down towards himself. Dongwan was shocked at this and even more so when his lips met Minwoo’s.

 

Minwoo’s lips were hot. His hand that now caressed his cheek was hot as well. Dongwan pulled away, “M-Minwoo...what are you…”

 

Minwoo stared at him, his eyes barely open, “Wannie...I…” He groaned a bit feeling his stomach turn but he ignored it and pulled his friend closer again, “I...I want you…”

 

Dongwan’s eyes widened, “N-No...you don’t…” How he wanted it to be true but he was drunk. Being drunk meant nothing because Minwoo wouldn’t remember any of this!

 

Minwoo grabbed the front of his friend’s shirt, “I do…” He breathed heavily as he pulled him close, locking lips with him again.

 

Dongwan’s body went limp as his mind told him to pull away. This is what he wanted though. Even though his friend wouldn’t remember any of what happened he was going to savor this moment. His heart won out in the fact that he really did love Minwoo.

 

They made out for a few moments as Dongwan felt Minwoo pulling on his pants trying to get them ed. Dongwan pushed away, knowing it wasn’t right even though he wanted it, “D-Don’t…”

 

Minwoo stared at him disappointed but nodded as he took his friend’s hand. He squeezed his hand, “Sorry…”

 

“Don’t be…” Dongwan said softly.

 

Minwoo caressed his friend’s cheek again, “Wannie...I like you…”

 

Those words made Dongwan’s world crash around him. Minwoo had fallen asleep holding his friend’s hand. Dongwan took a deep breath, trying to calm himself down as he felt another panic attack rising inside. He sat himself down next to Minwoo, still holding his hand. He decided to get through this was to just fall asleep and see what would happen in the morning. If he had to run away or get the courage to tell Minwoo the truth then he would. He enjoyed the moment of sitting next to his best friend holding hands before finally giving into sleep.

 

---

 

Dongwan was shaken awake the next morning by Hyesung, who needed to use the restroom. Dongwan blinked a few times to regain his bearings as to where he was, “Sorry…”

 

“It’s fine…” Hyesung helped him off the floor, “How did you sleep?”

 

“Better than I have in weeks…” Dongwan said half jokingly. It was true, sitting next to Minwoo sleeping relaxed him. He frowned as he remembered what happened the night before, “Damn…” He muttered.

 

“It’s Minwoo, huh?” Hyesung asked softly.

 

Dongwan glanced up at him, “What?”

 

“The one you like but can’t…” Hyesung spoke slowly as he stared into Dongwan’s eyes.

 

Dongwan looked away and let out a deep sigh, “Yes…” He left the restroom so Hyesung could use it in peace. A huge wave of emotions came over him as he left the hotel room to go back to his own. He figured Hyesung would follow him and ask him about it. Sure enough, he did.

 

Hyesung sat down on the perfectly made hotel bed in Dongwan’s room, “Talk to me.”

 

Dongwan changed his clothes into something that didn’t reek of alcohol, “What else is there to say?”

 

“I saw you both this morning sleeping…” Hyesung watched the other man, “I also saw Minwoo leave the bathroom with a big grin on his face. I asked him why he was smiling and he told me that he woke up in a good mood.” He crossed his arms, “It must have been waking up next to you...cause no one wakes up happy when hungover.”

 

Dongwan had his back turned to Hyesung when he spoke as he changed his shirt. Hearing that Minwoo woke up happy made his heart skip with happiness. Was it true? Did Minwoo really like him?

 

“You need to talk to him…” Hyesung stood up, “Before you say that no one will accept it and it’ll affect Shinhwa…” He laughed slightly, “It won’t because we all know…”

 

Dongwan turned to him, “You all know what?”

 

“How you two feel about each other.” Hyesung said with a smile, “You both try to hide it but it is obvious…”

 

Dongwan watched as the other man left. They all knew? Minwoo really liked him? They both were just hiding it?

 

He quickly got his shoes on and left his hotel room to go across the hallway to Minwoo’s room. He knocked on it and waited. Seemed like forever but when the door opened Junjin stood there, “Speak of the devil…”

 

“Junjin?” Dongwan checked the room number to make sure he knocked on the correct door. He did so why was Junjin there?

 

Junjin smiled at him and patted the shorter man on the shoulder, “Go get him…” He walked past him to go back to his own room.

 

“W-What?” Dongwan watched him leave and looked back to see Minwoo standing there, “Hey...I…” He cleared his throat, “What was Junjin doing?”

 

“Believe it or not he was giving me advice.” Minwoo motioned Dongwan to come into the room.

 

Dongwan walked into the room, “Advice on what?”

 

“On telling you how I feel…” Minwoo closed the door, “I told him I told you last night but figured you wouldn’t remember…”

 

Dongwan darted around to face him, he was shocked but kept his composure, “Are you kidding? It’s all I can think about…”

 

Minwoo smiled as he walked closer to him, “I noticed you struggling the past few weeks...was it because of me?”

 

Dongwan frowned but nodded. Minwoo shrugged a bit with disappointment, “I figured...you did seem to avoid me…” He looked at his friend, “It hurt to see you struggle...it’s my fault…”

 

“Why is it your fault?” Dongwan grabbed his friend’s hand, “It’s not…”

 

“I should have told you earlier…” Minwoo frowned, “I saw you drinking alone few weeks ago...you looked distraught but I didn’t go in to see you.” He sighed, “I-I should have told you how I felt...so you didn’t have to struggle with it.”

 

“M-Minwoo…” Dongwan looked down, ashamed that his friend saw him drinking alone. And upset that it took them so long to figure out their feelings, “Minwoo, I love you.”

 

Minwoo squeezed his hand, “I love you too…”

 

Dongwan looked up and smiled, a true happy smile as he always gave to his best friend. “We’re horrible people, huh?”

 

Minwoo laughed, “We could be worse.” He pulled his friend in close for a hug.

 

They stayed in each other’s arms for what had seemed like forever before finally kissing. Their first sober kiss and the beginning of a new flowering relationship.

There was no reason to run away now...