I'll Be Home For Christmas

Christmas Snow

“Thank you so much,” I said to the store clerk once she handed me a large paper bag.

    Walking out of the department store, I hummed to myself as I hurriedly made my way out. This had to be by far my favorite time of the year. Thick green garland with large, red velvet bows adorned nearly every corner of the building. A deep baritone’s “Silver Bells” echoed off the walls as children pulled on their mothers’ sleeves in an attempt to drag them into the toy stores.

Christmas was a special time for me. Not only did it bring warm memories of spending time with family. It also reminded me of all the things I was truly thankful for. What I was most excited about this year was that my boyfriend was actually going to be here for Christmas. During the past three Christmases we’ve been dating, we were never able to spend the holiday together. His schedule was usually jam-packed with interviews, radio shows, and whatnot. But this time he made a promise to me. He promised to be here this year, and blocked everything out of his agenda solely for this holiday.

As I walked outside to my car, I could feel my nose begin to drip from the sudden change in temperature. Placing the paper bag in the trunk, I smiled to myself. Whenever winter came, he would always say he wished to have a peacoat, but not just any peacoat. A black one in particular; the same one I have been eyeing for months now and was now neatly folded in the paper bag I carried. Just the thought alone made me smile.

The sky ahead grew darker as I made my way home. The weatherman said there was a possibility of snow tonight, the first time in many years. My bones already felt frozen. I cranked up the heater for good measure. Suddenly, my phone started buzzing.

“Call from...Kyungsoo. Would you like to answer it?” my Bluetooth asked.

“Yes,” I replied.

“Hello?” His deep voice warmed me to the very core as it reverberated in my car.

“Hey handsome. What’s goin’ on?”

“Ah, I miss your voice. That plane ride was too long. Listen, I…”

Hearing the slight change in his voice, my heart skipped a beat. I swallowed.

“Yeah?”

He sighed. “The layover is taking a little longer than expected. They’re not sure exactly what time the flight will come home. Might not be ‘til late tonight.”

My grip on the steering wheel tightened slightly. What if he didn’t make it? What if he was stuck on layover and had to stay there for Christmas? I had grown silent for a while, forgetting I was on the phone with someone.

“Babe, I know that silence. You’re thinking about it. Don’t worry, I’ll make it in time for Christmas, okay?”

I suddenly heard the echo of a woman’s voice on what sounded like an overhead speaker.

“Listen, I’ve gotta go. My flight’s ready. I love you.”

“Love you too.”

Pushing my way into my front door, I was suddenly greeted by the cold embrace of my apartment. I mentally cursed myself as I had forgotten yet again to leave my heater on while I was out. Changing out of my clothes, I pulled on a large, fuzzy sweater, some leggings, and thick, cozy socks. I curled up on the couch and began to watch the pre-recorded “A Christmas Story” on tv. I took a small sip of hot cocoa, feeling the warm liquid run down my throat.

As much as I tried to focus on the movie, I just couldn’t. I missed Kyungsoo and wished he was here with me. I wanted that plane to land right now, right in front of my apartment. Suddenly, I heard the jangling of keys. I snapped out of my thoughts and rushed to my front door. A glance through the peephole revealed my neighbor, the sweet old widow who lived across from me. Dragging myself back to the couch, I plopped back onto it with a heavy sigh.

Two movies and many hot cocoas later, I glanced at the clock. It was getting very late. I hadn’t received any messages or calls from him. To be honest, I was getting a little worried. I know I have a terrible habit of overthinking--and always thinking of the worst possible scenarios--but I felt this time was rational for once.

Looking outside my balcony, I noticed what looked like small swan-like feathers floating from the black velvet sky. It truly was a sight to behold. Bracing myself, I opened the sliding glass door and stepped into the cold, closing it again to keep in the heat. All was silent as the snow fell. Loved ones were nestled in their homes, cozying up to each other around their Christmas trees. The string of white lights that were draped along my balcony gave off a warm glow against the wintry backdrop.

Suddenly, I heard the sliding glass door behind me open. Two arms slowly wrapped around my waist as a familiar scent filled my nostrils.

“I’m home,” a familiar voice whispered in my ear.

His warm breath tickled my neck as he nestled his face into it. I turned around, his arms still around my waist, and feigned disappointment.

“Took ya long enough,” I responded.

A low chuckle sounded from his throat as he gently pulled me in for a kiss. His lips were warm and soft, just as I had remembered. As many times as I had kissed these lips, each time always felt like it was the first.

They moved in slow, rhythmic motions as my entire being melted into the kiss. Bringing my hands up to his head, my fingers began to play with his soft hair. Hearing my small sigh of contentment, he laughed. Then, much to my dismay, he brought his lips away from mine. For a moment, he simply stared at me, his hands cupping the sides of my face. I stared back into his large, childlike eyes, feeling almost swallowed whole by them. The things they must have seen being in the limelight of an idol, those beautiful eyes which stared at mine now.

“I missed you.”

Those words I had heard countless times over the phone and via Skype had sounded so different in person. They had a different meaning here and now. Maybe it was the hot cocoa, but I suddenly felt warm and comfortable there, despite the freezing temperature outside. Kyungsoo wasn’t much of the type to eloquently speak about his feelings, so I wasn't expecting some huge it’s-good-to-be-home speech. Instead, I kissed him again and smiled.

“I missed you too. Now,” I said, seeing the increased amount of snow covering the ground below, “Let’s get inside. Don’t want this weather to get my favorite EXO member sick...or was that Chanyeol…?” I trailed off, pretending to be in thought. As I looked back, I was suddenly met with a serious, albeit menacing, stare.

“Kidding, kidding,” I said, hands up in defense.

He shook his head at me, taking off his coat.

“It’s actually Sehun.”

He stared back up at me again. Just as I thought he was about to attack me with yet another murderous gaze, he didn’t. Much to my surprise, a tiny smile formed at the corners of his lips, and soon an infectious grin spread throughout his face. He let out a loud laugh, his heart-shaped smile I adored so very much displayed in its entirety.

“What am I gonna do with you?” he muttered.

“Love me,” I answered, getting closer to him.

“Uh huh. I gathered that much,” he replied, his smile suddenly turning into a one-sided smirk as he placed his hands on my hips.

“Adore me,” I said, inching closer to his lips.

“Mhm…” he trailed off.

“Kiss me,” I whispered against his lips.

“That can definitely be arranged,” he said, bringing his lips to mine in a passionate kiss.