The Mirage of Happiness

The Happiness Stimulator

Baekhyun opened his eyes up and a bright, welcoming ray of sunlight shone on him. He squinted his eyes a little and used his left forearm to block out the sunlight temporarily. He then felt a soft patch of grass and realised he had fallen asleep on a grassy hill. However, the grass wasn’t yucky, muddy or dirty. It felt soft, luscious and clean as if there weren’t any insects crawling in the grass. He heard the crisp and lovely sounds of the birds and even the grasshopper, it was as if they were music to his ears. He could smell the freshness of the morning grass and the sweet smell of some flowers.

Baekhyun had escaped it all. No more cars honking during peak hour traffic, no more construction noises from upstairs, no more paperwork to do at the office, no more expectations from anybody and no more stress. This was the life. This was the life he had always longed for.

He had the will to stretch open his arms and let out a nice, long yawn, without the help of his blaring alarm clock. He finally cracked open his eyes and to his delight, he had awaken to a beautiful sight. He was surrounded by bright green pastures and there were spots of vibrancy in the pastures as flowers bloomed. He looked up and the sky was a light shade of blue with white puffy clouds. It looked so perfect as if it was a painting hung in the museum.

It was nothing like Seoul at all. The metropolitan city were filled with skyscrapers and the clouds were often grey and miserable-looking. There was so many people in Seoul that it felt like it was far too crowded and claustrophobic. There was barely any nature, unlike this foreign place. The greenery seemed vast and there was no one but him, it was so free and Baekhyun wished that he could engrain this image in his brain forever. He took a while longer to take the scenery in since he could actually take his time on something for once and he treasured every second of it.

Baekhyun took his first big breath in as he stood up and spread his arms out wide, it smelt refreshing and it felt cool. He broke out into a big smile and shouted out loud in excitement and joy.

“Whoo! I love this!” He exclaimed in euphoria.

He felt like a little kid again, laughing loudly as he started running down the grassy hill with his hands wide out and feeling the soft grass pass his slender, pretty fingertips. He eventually decided to roll down the gentle hill for fun and he ended curling up into ball, grasping his stomach as he laughed loudly.

He then blew a few dandelions up into the air and watched them fly with the gentle breeze, up into the sky. It was such a delicate thing, dandelions. Once you blew them, they would disperse. But there was one special thing about dandelions, if you made a wish, it would carry it for you. It takes away the burden of responsibilities to give you hope and dreams.

Afterwards, the sun began to shine intensely over Baekhyun’s head. The temperature was getting warmer and Baekhyun was feeling adventurous. He wanted to explore this foreign place, in hopes and thrill of finding new treasures.

He entered a canopy of trees and he was suddenly in a forest, with green moss which perfectly decorated the rocks by the lake and the constant, peaceful sound of a waterfall in the distance. There was even a perfectly built wooden bridge with intricate carvings that joined the two sides of the lake. He was once more surrounded by greenery, but this time, there were tall, woody trees instead of grass. He took a closer look in the lake and saw patches of white and orange that seemed like fishes swimming around contentedly in the lake.

Baekhyun chuckled at the fishes and decided to walk on the rocks instead of on the path. Thankfully, the rocks weren’t slippery and he was able to walk on them with ease. He looked down at the clarity of the lake and the colour of the lake even matched the surrounding greenery.

Everything just seemed so perfect, seamless and harmonious. It almost felt… unreal.

But that didn’t matter to Baekhyun, what mattered was now.

The temperature began to drop and the birds started to chirp once more as they flapped their wings and flew across the vast landscape of the sky. Baekhyun stood in a daze as he admired them with astonishment. It seemed that time flew very fast in this foreign place and it was almost sunset, but Baekhyun didn’t seem to mind as he skipped merrily out of the thick canopy of the forest.

The sound of the waterfall also slowly faded away as he exited the forest. The next thing he saw was the bright, sparkling sea which reflected the different hues of the setting sun. There was pink, orange, yellow and different tones of those colours, all reflected on the sea, like a palette of warm colours.

Baekhyun felt a wave of warm, satisfactory sensation in his heart and he smiled, forming his mouth into his natural rectangular shape.  He couldn’t be happier in a place like this, he wished that it could be like this forever.

Suddenly, a whish of vapour appeared and Chanyeol seemed to have teleported in front of Baekhyun as if it were by magic. He wore a charming suit and held a red rose, without thorns, in his hands. He grinned like crazy and gave Baekhyun the rose shyly. Then, Baekhyun smiled as he admired the rose, smelling the delicate and faint smell of the rose, feeling the soft and velvety rose petals. Baekhyun loved it, so, so much.

“Thank you.” Baekhyun said, like a gentle whisper in Chanyeol’s ear. He leaned in closer to Chanyeol’s face and closed his eyes, and Chanyeol did the same. He cupped Chanyeol’s left cheek as he tiptoed daintily until their noses rubbed against each other. No words needed to be said, they understood each other and tilted their heads at the perfect angle to let their lips graze over each other tenderly. They tilted their heads to the side so that their passionate kiss could deepen and their lips moulded into one as if they fit perfectly like a hand in a glove. Baekhyun felt his heart flutter in joy as blood rushed to his cheeks, letting a small smile form in the kiss. He truly felt blissed to be in such a beautiful place with an equally beautiful man who he had unknowingly fallen for. They soon pulled away as the need of oxygen was getting to them and they both had wide smiles on their faces.

“I love you, Baekhyun.”

“I love you too, Chanyeol.”

 

And then, everything turned pitch black and the mirage had disappeared. The dream was over.

 

 

Author's Note: Thanks for reading this short two-shot of ChanBaek, I hope you've enjoyed it and if you want a sequel, leave a comment and maybe there will be a sequel very soon. ;) Stay tuned by subscribing! Have a great day ahead! ^^