Eternal Euphoria

The Happiness Stimulator

There was a crack of bright, florescent light that pierced through Baekhyun’s eyes like a sharp knife and he groaned at it, feeling groggy all over again. He was no longer in the beautiful, mesmerising place, he had returned to the real world and he was surrounded by the white walls of the room once more. Oh how he longed to see those green pastures again…

But at least, he saw Chanyeol again. The handsome, always smiling, Chanyeol was still there. And he still made Baekhyun’s heart flutter.

Chanyeol was typing rapidly at his computer desk and Baekhyun walked over to him with a soft smile. He took the time to admire and take in his looks, especially his smile. If there was anything in his dream that he had to choose to remember, it would be when Chanyeol was there.

It was a pity that those beautiful places didn’t exist in real life and the situations would never be so perfect. It was indeed a real pity. He kept replaying those scenes again and again, but the reality crashed down on him when the display screen had turned into a glass window. Baekhyun then walked slowly towards the window and glanced out the window, only to see cars piling up on the road and people rushing to places with their coffee cups and briefcases. Baekhyun sniffled a little as small droplets of tears rolled down his cheek.

“I should’ve known... It wasn’t real, it was never real from the start! I felt so happy in the dream for a few hours and then I wake up to… this. Again. Like every goddamn day of my life. Can’t I just live in my dreams forever? Can’t I just escape my reality forever?”

Baekhyun wished he could just pay everything he had to be sealed off in his dream forever, he didn’t want to go back living like how he used to. Luhan had lied to him. Even though it wasn’t a drug, it had pretty much the same effects. It made Baekhyun happy for that short while and the massive crash after that just left Baekhyun wanting for more as if his life depended on it. Baekhyun felt like punching something but he just stood there with his fists trembling.

Then, he felt a warm and strong pair of arms wrapped around him. It could only be one person-

“Baekhyun…” Chanyeol’s deep yet gentle voice whispered.

Baekhyun said nothing, but his heart surged wave after wave of feelings, making it melt. His tears stopped spilling and he sniffled, refusing to respond. So Chanyeol tried again.

“Baekhyun… I know it to wake up to such a contrast, but it’s just temporary happiness. If you want to always have happiness, then you can’t pay a price for it. You can’t buy eternal happiness regardless of how much money you have. It’s up to you to find happiness and you will find it if you look hard enough. When there is night, there will always be day. So when there is sadness, there will always be happiness waiting around the corner for you. The temporary bliss of happiness, this mirage-like dream of happiness is all just short-term, you’d want more, but I don’t want you to become those kind of people. I want you to always be smiling, not just when I’m here with you to hook you up to this Happiness Stimulator. You don’t deserve that. And I promise you, as long as you enjoy life and do the things you love, you can find eternal happiness.”

Baekhyun then turned around and his eyes slowly trailed up to meet Chanyeol’s. He replied, “I know I know…” He sighed and looked at him with a lost expression, and continued, “But what if… what if I think I’ve already found my happiness?”

Chanyeol furrowed his eyebrows and tilted his head in confusion. He asked, “What do you mean?”

Baekhyun wrapped his arms around Chanyeol’s waist and said, “What if… my eternal happiness could be right in front of me, looking at me right now?”

Chanyeol was flabbergasted and at a lost for words for a few seconds but his lips quickly formed a broad grin. Seeing this, Baekhyun smiled brightly as well and chuckled, bringing him closer for a tight embrace. Chanyeol tightened his wrap around the smaller, petite man and his smile never went away.

He said, “I would love to be your eternal happiness, Baekhyun.”

“Thank you for being my happiness virus, Chanyeol. And I hope you’ll always be my happiness virus to love and hold.”

“Yah, what’s this? It’s a love confession, not a marriage vow! Don’t get ahead of yourself, Baekhyun!”

Baekhyun laughed and pulled away from the hug, yet he still kept his arms around the taller male’s waist and so did Chanyeol.

“You’re a pabo, Chanyeol. I’m gonna get married to you eventually, so why not?” He grinned cheekily and it was Chanyeol’s turn to laugh.

“You’re the most beautiful man I have ever gotten to know and I promise to be your happy virus until we grow old and die. I love you, Byun Baekhyun.”

“You’re the happiest man I have ever gotten to know, you make me laugh lots and I promise to be your love until we grow old and die. I love you too, Park Chanyeol.”

And they leaned closer and closer to each other, kissing their lips sweetly and perfectly like in Baekhyun’s dream. Except that this kiss, this love and this man, were all real. And Baekhyun, was truly happy now that he had found his happiness virus, Park Chanyeol.