Final

No Make-Up

 

 

 

“It’s lukewarm,

The temperature of our relationship.

A relationship that seems strong but is a bit weak,

Asking about each other as if it’s an obligation.

We’re right before that vague point,

Like tango steps, it was a give and take of each footstep.”

 

 

 

Irene stares blankly at her phone screen for some good minutes before pressing the dial button.  The person on the other side, however, picks up rather quickly.

 

 

“Yes?”

 

 

“You free tonight?”

 

 

The person chuckles softly at how desperateness Irene sounds, “So this is a legit booty call now?”

 

 

 

The poor girl is getting all the tingles in her pores hearing the familiar sultry voice so she grumbles, “So yes or no?”

 

 

“In fact, I got a day-off today. Or else, how on earth would I be able to answer your call?” Still the same chuckling.

 

 

“I can pick you up this time.” She kindly offers, as she starts to feel bad always bossing the person around. 

 

 

“Oh.” And that person is obviously flattered. “It seems someone is very desperate, huh?”

 

 

 

Irene’s cheeks flush red at the remark even thought there is no one in the office with her right now, “I’ll choke you in your sleep.”

 

 

“Ha. See you tonight.” Sensing the unusual tension in her voice, the person ends the call with the signature teasing (at least to Irene) sing-song voice.

 

 

 

 

 

-

 

 

 

 

 

“Irene?”

 

 

“Yeah?”

 

 

 

The girl looks up from her desk as one of her colleague knocks on her door. Her hand automatically reaches out for her phone and puts it back to her bag - as its screen is blinking non-stop because of all the notifications. 

 

 

If you look close enough, she is texting the person she just called. It looks like someone is really impatient.

 

 

 

“I-I was thinking,” The guest of her room stammers. “Are you still up for that coffee?”

 

 

“Oh.” Irene darts her eyes around, recalling a certain scene. “I actually just had my lunch.”

 

 

“How about tonight? If the dinner is on me too?”

 

 

“That…… Would be nice. But I am busy lately. Thank you anyway.”

 

 

 

This person seems to be really persistent, “Too busy even for just a coffee?”

 

 

“Later.” She sighs. “We’ll talk about it later.”

 

 

When her door is open and shut again, Irene just heaves a longer sigh. 

 

 

Gosh, what she has gotten herself into. It’s like she is never meant to do any of these, but she still ends up here. Stuck in between. Going nowhere.

 

 

 

 

 

-

 

 

 

 

 

“It’s lukewarm,

The temperature of our relationship.

It’s being kept at your standards,

You make me anxious but I’m attached to you,

So I let out empty laughter twice or three times a day.”

 

 

 

"Irene.” The sultry voice calls out her name, while its owner is watching the said girl removing her makeup from the edge of a huge bed.

 

 

“Yes?” She spares a quick glance at the figure and grins lopsidedly. “Who’s impatient now?”

 

 

“No.” The person frustratedly stands up. “I was going to ask you something serious.”

 

 

Irene looks over her bare shoulder since she’s only wearing a tank-top, “You’re seldom serious as I know, Son Seungwan.”

 

 

 

So Son Seungwan, also known as Wendy, rolls her lively eyes and lets out an empty laughter, “I mean it. I’m leaving next month.”

 

 

“Wh-what?” It caught the older girl off guard. “Like, you aren’t coming back?”

 

 

“I am but, ” Wendy walks up to where she is sitting and looks at their reflections in the mirror, “My parents are probably setting me up with some guy again-”

 

 

Irene can’t help but frowns, “And you want to end this?” 

 

 

 

The Canadian gently puts her hands on the dazed girl’s shoulders and turns her around, “Did we ever start anything?” 

 

 

Irene can’t lie about how she always finds something sparking her in Wendy’s eyes, “We can start something tonight.”

 

 

“Are you serious about this?” Wendym however, doubts whatever they are sharing right now since they really weren't anything when they first met.

 

 

She just shrugs and grabs her hand, “I guess we are both confused.”

 

 

 

“And still you called me.” She mutters as she is led to the warm and comfortable bed again.

 

 

Irene lays down before dragging the other girl with her, “Let’s just think about tonight.”

 

 

Wendy complies easily whenever it comes to Bae Joohyun. 

 

 

Sometimes, she too doubts herself as she doesn’t know what she is thinking anymore. Especially when Irene’s lips meet hers and her body presses onto hers.

 

 

 

-

 

 

 

 

 

Irene isn’t the type who plays around. But she just doesn’t feel that attached to any of her past lovers so they come and go.

 

 

Who can blame her when she is such a extraordinary beauty. It’s almost like once you have laid your eyes on her, her delicate features are engraved onto your brain and they would come to you every night before you sleep.

 

 

She is not worried though. As an independent modern woman, she doesn’t think she can’t survive without a man or a woman. No strings attached means no worries.

 

 

Still, she got typical parents, who keep urging and nagging her to “settle down” recently since she’s now past the half of fifty. Girls around her age, and girls in her social circle,  either have a stable partner, are engaged or even married.

 

 

 

Irene is a good daughter as always so she does keep an eye for any decent guy around her, although she swings both ways actually. That’s probably when she got herself stuck in the situation she’s in for the past six months.

 

 

There is a nice guy working in the same firm but different department whose name is Park Bogum and has some interesting encounters with her. They always happen to bump into each other whenever one needs help at work. Like that time when she helped him with some paperworks since the latter had a tacky customer. Bogum too once did Irene a favor by accompanying her to meet a notorious client.

 

 

He is quite comfortable to be and work with. And Irene actually enjoys his company. 

 

 

Lately he starts to ask her out for non-work matters. She would have agreed if she doesn’t happen to have a newcomer in her life too.

 

 

 

And yes, Wendy Son Seungwan is her name. The type of girl that is hard to find, solely because she’s freaking rich and capable so that she’s more than happy to take care of you if you are lucky enough to be her friend, and even more.

 

 

She’s absolutely cool with everything and it’s okay even if you have broken her expensive cutlery or even her heart. Everyone is surprised to know how she can manage to remain friends with her exes; but no so when they hear some of them eventually want to get back together with her. 

 

 

Wendy would welcome them with open arms sometimes, she has a gentle heart after all. Some other times, she would entertain them as best as she could. Like, friends with benefits? Well, everyone has needs.

 

 

But the thing is that, Irene is not Wendy’s ex but they are kind of having this kind of relationship now. And it’s a rather long story which both of them would be too tired to recall.

 

 

 

 

 

-

 

 

 

 

 

It all starts with a birthday party. Taeyeon’s to be exact. She has all kinds of connections due to her charming yet adorable personality so her friends organized her a huge party this year.

 

 

Long story short, Irene is the best friend of Seulgi's whom was Taeyeon’s favourite junior in high school; and Wendy is the distant cousin of Jessica's whom is Taeyeon’s girlfriend. And if Joy hasn’t dragged Seulgi to Jessica’s studio and bumped into Taeyeon; and if Wendy hasn’t agreed to come back and help out her uncle at Seoul’s branch, the two wouldn’t have met. Butterfly effect, or just, fate?

 

 

That night, after a great dinner, Irene and Wendy awkwardly sat in different corners of the room with their drinks as they were not particularly close to the birthday girl or any other guests.

 

 

Then the eyes of a bored, lonely soul met another’s. happened- Nah, just joking. They both knew it’s not because of the alcohol which made them open up to each other so easily. 

 

 

 

The two are so similar in many ways, and they can understand each other without saying much. Irene can be a big baby sometimes and Wendy would be a perfect mother figure for her; while Wendy tends to hide all her emotions under her smiles and Irene is the pillow for her to lean on.

 

 

Maybe they had started it in a wrong way. Spending a night on a fancy hotel room the first night they met eventually stops them from admitting any feelings for each other. But they both had a few drinks and were all dressed up for the occasion that night. It’s pretty reasonable if you think about it.

 

 

 

“And the earthquake-like trembling feelings have gotten quieter than before,

Our talks about what we like, being comforted together by alcohol.

I can’t easily erase those reverberating records,

You’re someone who is like mine but not,

So I can’t get mad that you have me.

I’m trapped in a room called you and I’m determined for freedom,

Right now, the time after I stayed up all night is the moon-less 1AM.”

 

 

 

Laying on one side of the bed, Irene is thinking and rethinking about that night. And those many nights after that. 

 

 

She is too absorbed that she doesn’t realize that the person on the other side of the bed is losing sleep too.

 

 

 

“You awake?” Wendy has sharp ears. She must have heard her uneven breaths.

 

 

“Hm.” Irene unconsciously scoots closer to the source of such a warm voice.

 

 

The younger girl does the same but she sits up a little with her left elbow supporting her, “What are you thinking then?”

 

 

She tilts her head and brings her fingers to her dangling locks, “I like it better when it’s blonde.”

 

 

 

Wendy then gazes deeper into those eyes before flopping back down on her side of the bed, “Whatever.”

 

 

Irene is dumbfounded by such act for a second, “Son Seungwan.”

 

 

“I’m sleeping.” She turns her back on the other girl and brings the cover to her head.

 

 

“Seungwan.” She softly calls.

 

 

“Can’t hear you. Bye. Over.”

 

 

“Wan.”

 

 

 

Still not getting the response she’s looking for, so Irene takes extreme measures - circling her arms around the well-toned waist and latching onto the petite body, not leaving any space. They have no clothes on anyway.

 

 

“I’m tired, really.” After a long silence, Wendy whispers into the darkness as she gives a tap on the hands on her waist.

 

 

Irene carefully retrieves her hand and turns the girl back around, “But I won’t let you sleep.”

 

 

“Joohyun-”

 

 

“That’s right. Just say my name tonight.”

 

 

 

 

 

-

 

 

 

 

 

Wendy knows about Bogum but he doesn’t know about them. Actually, she is well aware of the fact that he is interested in Irene and the older girl has to make a choice between the two sooner or later.

 

 

So she asks herself a lot of questions after knowing about Bogum, and after hearing him call Irene one night.

 

 

Irene sometimes brings up about work and thus him when they chat casually at dinner time. But Wendy didn’t care much about that before. 

 

 

 

Son Seungwan was unwell one day and ended up spending the whole day at home. Luckily it wasn’t too bad so she was holding up fine by herself. However, Irene just showed up at her door and barged in, donning her office look and messy hair.

 

 

“God, you didn’t answer my texts and calls! I was going to call the police if you didn’t answer the goddamn door too!”

 

 

Wendy chuckled a little at the dramatic expression on Irene’s supposed-to-be-cold face. It was just too funny when she frowned and pouted so child-like with those makeup on. 

 

 

“And you’re laughing?” The woman kicked her heels off in frustration not knowing she should be amused or not.

 

 

“I took some meds and slept.” The younger calmly explained.

 

 

 

“You’re sick?” Bae Joohyun was still not calm and brought her palm to the patient’s forehead. “Oh thank lord you aren’t having a fever.”

 

 

Wendy lightly shoved the hand away, “I’m a human too and I get sick sometimes.”

 

 

“I’m staying for the night then.”

 

 

“I’m not in the mood of doing anything.”

 

 

 

The older girl looked offended and placed a hand over her chest, “So I’m that kind of person in your eyes?”

 

 

The owner of the house didn’t bother to spare her guest another glance and headed straight back to her bedroom, “Oh yeah, for me, you’re totally digging my money. Goodnight.”

 

 

Irene just couldn’t stand how Wendy still managed to sound alluring in a mocking tone. She naturally followed her and stopped at the door frame, “So you’re doing fine now?”

 

 

 

The ill girl lazily looked at the clock on the wall, “I have rested for half a day by now.”

 

 

“Still, I’m keeping an close eye on you.” She folded her arms and looked down the other girl who was laying on the bed. “Just in case someone still drinks coffee and stays up late for work when they’re sick.”

 

 

Wendy just shook her head and laughed before going to sleep.

 

 

So Irene made herself at home. She knew this house very well. And she had to admit Wendy had a very nice taste in interior design and art. 

 

 

 

Sitting down in front of Wendy’s dresser, she took her time removing her makeup. She suddenly remembered how Wendy always tells her she actually looks prettier without makeup since the first night they spent together.

 

 

A buzz from her phone interrupted the moment and she quickly picked it up not wanting to wake the soundly sleeping girl. It’s Bogum.

 

 

He asked if they could meet up for a drink and she politely rejected the offer. Again. She knew she would feel bad either way - turning him down or leaving her. How selfish she was. 

 

 

Unconsciously she threw her phone on the table and it did end up waking the other girl up.

 

 

 

Wendy just knew that it was no one other than Park Bogum. She tried to get Irene to say it from but Irene just didn't. She didn’t get her sometimes.

 

 

Instead, Irene joined her on the bed and started showering her with kisses bringing her lips across her face.

 

 

 

Perhaps fate has really planned a joke on them. Wendy was also present at a conference where Bogum and his team were introducing a new project on behalf of their company. She was there merely to accompany her uncle since the latter insisted they both should absorb more experience from each other.

 

 

And so, she had that mysterious smile on her face the whole time, while occasionally eyeing the boy secretly. But she didn’t go up and talk to him afterwards, and just drove away after having her uncle’s approval.

 

 

Since then, Wendy has been very busy with her work and hasn't "met up" with Irene that often. As if she has all the documents to read on earth.

 

 

And Irene doesn't have a single idea that the two have "met". All that she knows is that Wendy just goes missing from time to time while Bogum just keeps asking her out more frequently.

 

 

Deep down, she is scared. Choosing also means losing.

 

 

 

 

 

-

 

 

 

 

 

Wendy leaves without a word in the morning. Irene can’t be more baffled being left alone in her house.

 

 

Funny how she meets Bogum when she comes out from the coffee shop. He offers her a ride to work and she thinks why not. 

 

 

Everything happens so fast and Irene thinks she can no longer react to anything anymore.

 

 

 

She spends her typical day in the office. Some who are closer with her ask about her and Bogum after seeing them together earlier and she answers with a nonchalant shrug. Settling down with Bogum is obviously a choice. But, she just can’t bring herself to do it. But, she doesn’t know what is between her and Wendy now.

 

 

No one knows about them. Not even Seulgi, Joy, Taeyeon, or Jessica. And therefore, sometimes Irene would have an illusion of cheating with Wendy behind Bogum’s back - while the fact is, nothing really happened between her and her, and, her and him.

 

 

Just when she is contemplating what to do when Bogum shows up and asks her out for dinner later.

 

 

Her phone saves her this time.

 

 

“It’s me. Can we… Can I see you now?”

 

 

Irene widens her eyes hearing the familiar voice and Bogum walks away getting the signal.

 

 

 

It takes Irene 20 minutes to get there, to Wendy’s office. She literally runs there in her heels and she has left her car in Wendy’s garage. It’s not that far, just a few blocks away.

 

 

Still, it’s her first time there. Like I’ve said, they are a secret. Yet, the security and the secretaries just let her in. Their boss, aka Wendy, has probably told them beforehand.

 

 

 

Irene holds her breath as she pushes the door open. It reveals a slim figure standing by the window, deep in her own thought.  

 

 

“Wendy?”

 

 

So the figure turns around and Irene can instantly tell she just cried. 

 

 

“Are you… Okay?” 

 

 

She has seen the younger girl with teary eyes, but not like this - red nose, messy hair, dimmed eyes, and even her skin is paler.

 

 

 

Son Seungwan then hangs her head and forces a dry laughter from , “I guess?”

 

 

“I’m here now.” It just hurts to look at her right now.

 

 

“A friend of mine,” Wendy rubs her palms on her jean-clad thighs. “Or should I say my ex, just passed away.”

 

 

“Oh……” Call Irene a cold-hearted  but she is slightly glad that it isn’t something bad have happenend to her family or herself.

 

 

 

“You know,” She paces back to where she was standing. “It’s a car accident. Just took a life away like that. Scary, no?”

 

 

“I’m sorry to hear that.”

 

 

“We are- were good friends.”

 

 

“It’s very nice of you, Wendy.” Irene pats her shoulder so lightly as if she would break her anytime.

 

 

 

Staring at the scenery that she has memorized hours ago, she professes her words one by one, “Losing someone you care is so horrible. Imagine how horrible it would be if it’s someone you deeply love, even more horrible than yourself dying. When we die, we die. It ends there. The ones who live are the ones who suffer and bear the pain of death.”

 

 

 

“Now I need to move on, before the feelings fades, 

It’s too vague to define this relationship.

 

I’m waiting for your reply to my text sent a while ago,

Where are you? Wanna come out?

Oppa, I have no make up on.”

 

 

 

“Do you know what I was thinking about, Irene?” Wendy suddenly matches Irene's longing gaze, making the latter startled a little. “I was thinking what if… … What if it was you? It horrifies me..... Joohyun-ah. It bleeds me out merely with the thought.”

 

 

“But I’m here now-” She tries to bring her to her arms yet she softly pushes her away.

 

 

“I need to stop before it’s too late.” Wendy buries her face into her tiny palms. “I’ll be losing you anyways.”

 

 

Irene didn’t expect Wendy is really erious about them until now. And she is awestruck by how Wendy is pushing her away after confessing her true feelings. So her brain is still buffering.

 

 

 

The Canadian soon shakes it off and takes a deep breath, “So Bae Joohyun, let’s call it a quit now. Stop wasting each other’s time.”

 

 

“Do you know what you're saying?” The older girl is now pissed. One doesn’t just confess to her and kick her away like this. 

 

 

“Go to Bogum.” Wendy’s voice gets lower and sterner. “As I’m leaving as well.”

 

 

“I will not.” Irene simply refuses to follow such order. “After I finally know the feeling is mutual.”

 

 

 

“Y-you, you-”

 

 

“I'm scared of losing you too.”

 

 

 

Wendy just stands there and looks at her. Her lips are moving but no words are coming out. 

 

 

Irene has no time to celebrate how she just got the sliver-tongued Wendy speechless. Instead, she closes in and gets a hold of her cold hand. 

 

 

 

“Don’t you know why I always turn him down?”

 

 

“…… You do?” She quietly asks. 

 

 

She replies firmly, “Yes.”

 

 

“What should I do when I lose you?”

 

 

 

“You won’t lose me. I won’t leave you, stupid.” Irene giggles at the cute, hesitant Son Seungwan she’s seeing and cups her cheeks with both of her hands. “Only with you, I can be myself, I don’t need makeup, I don’t need to play and pretend.”

 

 

“Oh yes,” Wendy finally lifts a smile. “You’re the most beautiful when you are you.”

 

 

A shade of crimson creeps up to Irene’s face hearing the compliment, and she somehow gets nervous when she is going to lean in for a kiss.

 

 

Someone’s call interrupts again. 

 

 

“Hello? Irene? I just called to see if you’re alright, since you just dashed out of the building after the call.”

 

 

 

The older girl gives a look to the younger as she listens to him talking.

 

 

Then, all of a sudden, Wendy just snatches the phone from Irene’s hand and they are both smiling, “Hello? Who is this?”

 

 

“Argh. I’m Irene’s co-worker. Since she has left work all the sudden and- ”

 

 

“She’s safe and sound. Don’t worry, Bogum-xi.” 

 

 

“Wha- How do you know my name?”

 

 

“I just know. And Irene'll come back to work soon.”

 

 

 

Wendy smiles and hangs up with a swift move before he can react. 

 

 

Irene on the other hand bursts out laughing, witnessing the whole “prank” and imagining Bogum’s confused face. But she is shut up by a kiss.

 

 

“Do you fancy visiting Toronto?” She pulls away slightly while her hands are still on Irene's sides.

 

 

“My pleasure.” She gives her answer quickly just because she is so certain. Then she proceeds to her original task - leaning in for another kiss, not that Wendy minds.

 

 

 

Later that day, Irene does go back to the office, coming down from a car which the plate belongs to the Son Enterprise. 

 

 

And now, people know.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


 

Alright. Don't get confused, the song is from Gaeko, but also featuring Zion T.

I'm inspired by its MV actually.

 

I hope you guys don't miss me too much lol

And please enjoy this little one-shot :)

 

See you on the flip side.

xo